Who thinks the DS still has alot of potential?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AguFightingOxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AguFightingOxy
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts

Personally I feel that the DS has so much untapped potential, and very few games are really tugging on the strings of it. As much as I love new consoles and handhelds, I hope that Nintendo tries to prolong the DS, even if they announce a new handheld soon...

Anyone else think that the DS's potential has rarely been tapped and needs more games like The World Ends with You and Ninja Gaiden?

Avatar image for All-Star-Gamble
All-Star-Gamble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 All-Star-Gamble
Member since 2008 • 143 Posts
The DS is very sucessful, I can see it getting 100m units sold in just about 4-5 years. It has a long way ahead.
Zombie_Eric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zombie_Eric
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts

Anyone else think that the DS's potential has rarely been tapped and needs more games like The World Ends with You and Ninja Gaiden?

AguFightingOxy

I know what you're talking about. I feel like developers are just now using the real power of the DS. I hope we get another 2 to 3 years with it.

xisytenin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xisytenin
Member since 2008 • 407 Posts
I think the DS has a long way to go, since it doesnt rest soley on graphical prowess, games can focus on creative gameplay and control schemes to stay fresh, in summation i dont think DS is going anywhere for a while
X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 X-Remnant
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts
Sure, the DS has a lot of life left in it. :)
hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts

The DS is very sucessful, I can see it getting 100m units sold in just about 4-5 years. It has a long way ahead.All-Star-Gamble

100m in 4-5 years? I'd say more like 1-2 years...

Master_Saibot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Master_Saibot
Member since 2007 • 822 Posts
The DS's reign will not end for at least another year or two.
Wegank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wegank
Member since 2006 • 1295 Posts

I think the DS has a long way to go, since it doesnt rest soley on graphical prowess...xisytenin

You are correct, however look at how much the graphics have improved in the last couple of years. If they shrink it or add onboard memory that's fine but I seriously hope that don't try to replace the system yet. It only keeps getting better.

sumo1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sumo1973
Member since 2005 • 1195 Posts
It's still got a lot of potential left. More ways for developers to push the system. I hope that bigger cart sizes will push things along too.
Princess_Jill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Princess_Jill
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts
It's exciting to see what others games are going to come out ^__^ and I hope it lasts longer than GBA did
etcetcetc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 etcetcetc
Member since 2005 • 439 Posts

i know it doesnt rely on graphics too much but i wouldnt mind seeing more games like metroid prime and ninja gaiden on it, sure mario luigi partners in time and world ends with you were great and all but the only thing stopping them from being on the gba is the second screen the ds has.

The ds will last as long as the wii will last due to wii to ds connectivity which means ds is gonna be around for quite a while seeing how both are selling like kiddy crack

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
It definitely does. This is probably the first time third party devs have showed Nintendo how make a game right on their own system (Team Ninja anyone?). It will easily go over the 100m mark.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
Considering how popular FPS games are and that the DS doesn't exactly have that many, there's more potential in that particular field as well, especially when considering how perfect the stylus and the touch screen are for them.
cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts
Yeah... the touch screen holds a lot of potential for interesting ideas, and I'm glad 3rd party devs start to get more and more out of the system...
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#15 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
I think there's still a lot we haven't seen. I'm looking forward to seeing what the future has in store.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I think this question is unneccessary because there's still so many great titles coming to the DS soon, many of them this year.

Even though Nintendo's first-party line-up seems hazy, the third party stuff is great. Also, once Nintendo's obession over casual games subsides a little, maybe they'll finally get around to New Super Mario 2, Zelda 2, Metroid Prime Hunters 2 or Metroid Dread, Kid Icarus DS, etc. That's all they have to do to sell more games.

TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
There are plenty of ways to expand on the ds. A lot of accessories have been coming out that add new forms of gameplay. There's the guitar hero thing, a slide controller for Slide Adventure Mag Kid Which is a really fun game. Each of these expands on the ds and have the potential to add to the lifespan of the DS if they catch on.
dizzykim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dizzykim
Member since 2005 • 721 Posts
One of the few things about the DS system that I don't see developers tapping into is the Wi-Fi connection. I don't understand certain games that have ad-hoc wireless play but not Wi-Fi. One game that comes to mind is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates. I don't mind having to meet up with friends to play, but the extra convenience of having true Wi-Fi multiplay would have made it better. I'm also surprised that there aren't that many traditional RTS games out for the DS, as I figure the system is meant to have games of that genre.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Kingdom Hearts, Metal Slug, and Sonic Chronicles are all going to be awesome.
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, the DS has more than already lived up to it's potential.

I'm holding out for Skate it...Hopefully we'll get a demo on the Nintendo Channel in the future.

vatterott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 vatterott
Member since 2006 • 1842 Posts
What makes so many games great is the touch screen. It's tough to do FPSs and RTSs on a handheld. The online component needs to be hardcore tapped into, like buying tracks on GH.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
Ok for rts all they need is starcraft, I mean it was on the 64 so why not?
Wegank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wegank
Member since 2006 • 1295 Posts

I agree that the fps thing works very well with the ds, CoD4 was great! Make it longer & online and it would have a permanent place in my collection. In addition the 1st party stuff still has alot of MIA major players. Dk, Banjo, f-zero, just to name a few. I still don't see any reason that you couldn't do a conker, pikmin, ocarina or golden eye 64 on the system, why couldn't those be possible?

ta11on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ta11on
Member since 2007 • 784 Posts

The DS still has much potential, if only I could say the same for the games. I'm tired of ports and games that look like they were made 10 years ago.

amy0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 amy0207
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
DS is one of my favorite handheld. Not that only have some great game selections and it never breaks down or giving me a problem. I can bring it with me when i'm on vac and I usually play ds before I go to sleep that helps me fall asleep faster :D
acidrain1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 acidrain1976
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts

I think the DS definitely has a ton of life left in it... It's become one of my favourite platforms of all time and I think there's lots of other people who feel the same way. :D

I think there will be at least one more Zelda and a new Paper Mario on the DS before Nintendo introduces a new handheld, but I could be wrong (obviously, lol)... Maybe they'll refine the DS once more before they make a new unit? Although I don't think the DS needs any improvements, but you know Nintendo...

I guess we'll see at E3.

Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts

DS game card-wise, theres alotthe biggest DS game right now is A.S.H.(looks like we wont be seeing it anytime soon.... :( )

which has a 256mb size the maximum size that a DS game card can handle is 2GB so... thats alot

as for the hardware itself, if the analog/dpad has managed to serve us for the past 10 plus years then..................

sheepradish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 sheepradish
Member since 2006 • 2242 Posts

It will last a long time 4 sure

2-4 years prob itll still continue within the next gen aswell...

Lance_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Lance_C
Member since 2004 • 34544 Posts
If we look at its sales, you would be crazy to think it doesn't have any.