Which Zeldas did which aspects of the franchise best?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

With Wind Waker HD just releasing and the upcoming Link between world on the horizon, I was wondering which Zeldas you feel did each aspect of the franchise better than the rest.

-World: Wind Waker

There is nothing that screams the sense of adventure more than an open sea to me. The thrill I get from sailing a vast open ocean and seeing the silhouette of an island I have yet to explore is unmatched. There is a certain level of mystery, curiosity, and satisfaction that comes with Wind Waker's setting that no other Zelda has been able to capture before or since.

-Visuals: Wind Waker

Wind Waker is gorgeous. Many have said it before. The reason why Wind Waker's visuals hold up so well is because they had such a strong vision that was able to be produced almost perfectly. I've yet to play a cel shaded game that has fully realized that style of visual presentation the way Wind Waker did.

-Dungeons: Wind Waker

I know a lot of people might call me out on this one, but I really feel that the dungeons in Wind Waker felt a lot more natural than the Dungeons in other Zeldas. It felt like the answers to puzzles weren't slapped in your face. Rather you had to logically deduce the solutions to puzzles (sometimes requiring the combination of more than one item). Then there were those three dungeons that allowed mind control puzzles and I feel like these prove to be the best dungeons in the series. The access to a second character just adds a whole new layer of depth.

-Story: Wind Waker

To me, this is without question. Wind Waker's story is not only the best Zelda story hands down, it is one of the best stories I've experienced in this entire medium. It's a story about moving beyond your own comfort zone and not dwelling on the past. It's about taking a risk in order to grow. This is only punctuated by the isolated islands that dot the great sea. You hear NPCs longing to see what that island in the distance holds, but fear and comfort in what they know prevents them from acting. The story was just brilliant and it was emphasized by metaphor and the game's setting. Throw in more grey morality than Zelda has ever had and you've got one heck of a tale.

-Combat: Skyward Sword

If there is one thing to praise Skyward Sword for it's motion controls. No other game has used this control method betteror more precisely than Skyward Sword. Before this game, Zelda was just press a button and you slash. It was about knowinf when to block and dodge. Skyward Sword keeps this but adds new depth by making your slashes matter. It's no longer one move works in all cases. You have to read enemies and deduce which way to slash. This added a great deal more depth to the combat and bosses in Skyward Sword that was not possible in previous Zelda games.

-most content: Wind Waker

This game is absolutely massive and content packed. Sea charts, Platforms, Submarines, 49 islands, sidequests, and the nintendo galery are just some of the things that will keep you busy for a VERY long time.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Skyward sword did nothing right, it's an abomination. I wish I were exaggerating, I really tried to find anything good about it but there really is nothing of merit. I played it all the way through and it is a real piece of crap.

Twilight Princess did some things best, like dungeon design, item design and overall the game mechanic's are night and day compared to WW. So as far as gameplay design is concerned, TP wins easily. As far as exploration there isn't nearly as much of it as there is in WW, but what is there is excellent. Atmosphere and dark theme's, and heavy surrealism of this game is the right direction for Zelda overall and you'll see that in the next game.

WW HD is a fantastic game, but the dungeon's are kind of bare bones next to some of Twilight Princesses dungeons and in general style took a precedence in that game over game mechanic's. But the style is what makes the game so magical, so that's ok. Not that any gameplay design isn't great in WW and the next step from OOT, you just won't be surprised by anything either. Bosses in these 2 - , most of TP's were too easy but they were all epic, WW's were better overall.

WW has the best story as well, it's so much deeper than Twilight Princess and this is where the style and exploration work together to make WW the masterpiece it is. Both games are too different to really say which one is better, but I have a new appreciation for WW after playing WW HD so unless they make a TP HD, this one will be my favorite Zelda.

Now they just need to give the same treatment to TP. :)

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

@Chozofication said:

Skyward sword did nothing right, it's an abomination. I wish I were exaggerating, I really tried to find anything good about it but there really is nothing of merit.

Twilight Princess did most things best, except for exploration and sense of wonder but it went for dark and atmospheric instead so that's apples to oranges. Twilight Princess had some huge gorgeous vistas, overall this is the right direction for Zelda to go and you'll see that in the next game.

WWHD is a fantastic game, but the dungeon's are kind of bare bones next to some of Twilight Princesses dungeons and in general style took a precedence in that game over game mechanic's. It's still fantastic and they fixed everything wrong with the OG, now they just need to give the same treatment to TP.

Well I'll have to respectfully disagree about Skyward Sword. I found it to be one of the best games of the past generation because it was a game of absolutely superb design that offered something completely unique: a playground to fully immerse myself in with 1:1 motion input. It was such a joy to play. At first I was really miserable about the game, but that's because I was expecting just another zelda. When I began to embrace this game for its vision, I just loved it to pieces.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

-World: Ocarina of Time

-Visuals: Wind Waker / Ocarina of Time (too different in style and obviously in age)

-Dungeons: Twilight Princess (If I recall correctly)

-Story: Twilight Princess (If I recall correctly)

-Combat: Twilight Princess (i think? SS and WW excel in areas, but I think TP was the pinacle of non motion zelda combat...I think haha)

-most content: Wind Waker (Unless you are just playing the main story, in which case it is obviously Twilight Princess)

From this list I have gathered that I really need to play Twilight Princess again. It has been so long, and even though I prefer OoT, MM, and WW to it, I remember it's dungeons and story being very good. It just lacked in the overworld / sidequests, and had a drawn out beginning.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Chozofication said:

Skyward sword did nothing right, it's an abomination. I wish I were exaggerating, I really tried to find anything good about it but there really is nothing of merit.

Twilight Princess did most things best, except for exploration and sense of wonder but it went for dark and atmospheric instead so that's apples to oranges. Twilight Princess had some huge gorgeous vistas, overall this is the right direction for Zelda to go and you'll see that in the next game.

WWHD is a fantastic game, but the dungeon's are kind of bare bones next to some of Twilight Princesses dungeons and in general style took a precedence in that game over game mechanic's. It's still fantastic and they fixed everything wrong with the OG, now they just need to give the same treatment to TP.

Well I'll have to respectfully disagree about Skyward Sword. I found it to be one of the best games of the past generation because it was a game of absolutely superb design that offered something completely unique: a playground to fully immerse myself in with 1:1 motion input. It was such a joy to play. At first I was really miserable about the game, but that's because I was expecting just another zelda. When I began to embrace this game for its vision, I just loved it to pieces.

1:1 my ass, the controls needed fixing every 15 seconds. I've never played any other Wii game that had the controls get out of wack so much, and the Wii mote and nunchuck is such a awful gimmick to begin with so that's really saying something.

The padding in that game is disgusting, some of the worst padding i've seen in *any* game and this is Zelda we're talking about.

I'm not going to rant about the game because that would take too long, but if you enjoy it good for you I guess. :P

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7204 Posts

Let me start by saying I have not played Link to the Past (I know, will eventually rectify this on VC) or any handheld Zeldas.

World - Majora's Mask: I know it's small, but the ominous threat of the grimacing moon hurtling toward you gave a sense of urgency that the other games don't have. Knowing you need to hurry to save this world and these people made me love them all that much more, even the whole thing was a bit acid flashbacky.

Visuals - Wind Waker: The style and art direction keep this game from ever being called "dated".

Dungeons - Ocarina of Time: These were more twisting and intricately designed than newer games. It was easier to get turned around or lost, but that gave you a more powerful sense of accomplishment when you finally figured them out. (Yes, I realize I basically said they are better because they are not as logically laid out as the newer games dungeons)

Story - Wind Waker: Starts as a personal quest to save your sister that leads to an epic quest to save the world. Plus, it really pulls together the methos from the whole Zelda universe more than any other game in the series.

Combat - Wind Waker: I loved the controls in Skyward Sword, but the counter attack in WW is just a lot of fun to me. Gives it a slight edge over others in my book.

Bosses - Ocarina of Time: Sheer variety and higher difficulty make these ones my favorites. WW and TP had bigger and more epic fights, but they were just not hard enough.

Most Content - Twilight Princes: Wind Waker probably has a smidge more side quests, but the main story in TP is longer than most RPGs.

Most Zelda-like Experience - Twilight Princes: OK, I added this one. But if I were to pick one game that really nails what the series is all about, it would be this. Certain aspects are done better by other entries, but the overall combination of combat, exploration and puzzle solving are almost perfectly balanced in TP. This is the "If you were trapped on an island and could only bring one Zelda game" answer.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

@Chozofication said:

Skyward sword did nothing right, it's an abomination. I wish I were exaggerating

Wish come true

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#8  Edited By pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I vote for Wind Waker on every category except for two.

The combat was at its best in Skyward Sword. Twilight Princess had already done wonders for the series' combat, but SS took it to a whole new level with the wonderful control scheme.

As for dungeons, I think it is a tight race between OOT, TP and SS. I thought WW's dungeons were pretty bad and unispired, not to mention the annoyance that came with having to play the baton whenever you had to take control of other characters inside some of the dungeons (Tower of the Gods, Earth Temple and Wind Temple).

In fact, Wind Waker's dungeons are the sole reason I do not put it ahead of OOT as the best Zelda ever.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

World: Wind Waker

Visuals: Wind Waker

Dungeons: Skyward Sword. Ancient Cistern, Sand Ship, and Sky Keep were amazing.

Story: I really enjoyed Skyward Sword's narrative.

Combat: Skyward Sword

Most Content: Hmm... this is a hard one. Skyward Sword is the longest, but there was a lot of padding. I guess this title goes to Wind Waker.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

WW does the sense of adventure really well.

MM does side questing (with the masks) well. Minish Cap is also pretty good with the figurines.

SS and WW does combat really well.

MM and WW does aesthetics really well.

Story: I hardly pay attention to any of it.

With other things like Dungeons, Music, Bosses, pretty much all Zeldas get this right. Which is why I love them all.

In conclusion, this is why WW and MM are my favorite Zelda games.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts
@Chozofication said:

The padding in that game is disgusting, some of the worst padding i've seen in *any* game and this is Zelda we're talking about.

Sailing in Wind Waker can be considered the worst waste of time in any Zelda game. It adds a couple of hours to the game, and you're literally doing nothing during it. And some of the Triforce Chart stuff at the end is also infamous for dragging on for far too long. At least the padding in Skyward Sword consists of actual content, whether or not you enjoyed it.

The original Zelda has the best world. A lot of that comes from its free-form design, to be honest, but I love that aspect of it.

Skyward Sword has the best visuals, not counting the HD Wind Waker remake. If Skyward Sword were remade in HD, it would look even more stunning than WW.

Majora's Mask has the best dungeons. There aren't many of them, but they're more fine-tuned and creative than the dungeons in any of the other games.

Majora's Mask has my favorite story as well. People like to dwell on the story in Zelda games, but I've never found them to be overly compelling beyond a few cool tropes. MM's story is unique, off-the-wall, creepy, but also very touching at times.

It's a close call between Wind Waker and Skyward Sword for best combat. WW's combat is so satisfying because it couples musical cues with great effects and simple strategy, but SS's combat is tactile and fun. But because I don't think the enemy design in SS takes full advantage of your ability to swing at different angles, I'll give it to Wind Waker.

Twilight Princess FEELS like it has the most content because so much of it feels like such a chore, Skyward Sword has the most intentionally designed content since pretty much every area is structured to flow more like a dungeon, Majora's Mask has a TON of fun side quests that take quite a bit of effort to complete, and Wind Waker has however many islands to explore. It's a tough call, but I love how so much of Majora's Mask is totally optional and fun to discover naturally.

None of the handheld games win any of these categories for me, even though I prefer the 2D Zelda structure overall. One of those would win a "best exploration" category for me.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Chozofication said:

Twilight Princess did some things best

Aaaaaaaaaaand with that you lose the right to talk about this subject from now on.

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

Love all my Zeldas, but gotta give it to ALTTP Zelda. =)

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#14 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts

It was difficult for me to select just one, but I would have to go with Majora's Mask because of the atmosphere, visuals and challenge of the game...followed closely by Ocarina of time and Link's Awakening

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#15  Edited By pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

@Soulreavercross said:

It was difficult for me to select just one, but I would have to go with Majora's Mask because of the atmosphere, visuals and challenge of the game...followed closely by Ocarina of time and Link's Awakening

I have big problems comparing MM to other Zelda games because it is so unique.

The dark atmosphere, the smaller scope, the bleak weirdness of it all... plus, it has Stone Tower Temple, which is the greatest Zelda dungeon ever.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Wind Waker definitely wins the graphics battle. This game is gorgeous. I thought A Link to the Past had the best dungeons and, I know I am going to catch flack for this, but The Adventure of Link had the best combat. Down thrust for the win. Best world I would give to Spirit Tracks. I loved chugging around the country side in that little locomotive.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21647 Posts

World: This is a tough one. Between OoT, MM, and Twilight Princess, its a bit difficult to choose. Overall, I'm leaning more towards MM though. It may be smaller in scale compared to other Zelda worlds, but each area was well made. By well-made, I meant each area of Termina was not only pretty well designed, but every area never felt too hollow or empty. And its atmosphere with that giant moon slowly descending to clocktown each day also gave it life. OoT was also the same way, but MM to me had superior designed areas. If Twilight Princess had more memorable characters stretched out across its world to give each area some sort of personality, it would be a clear winner for me. As for Skyward Sword and WW, their worlds are gorgeously huge, but like Twilight Princess, they are huge with very little substance.

Verdict - Majora Mask with OoT as a close runners up.

Visuals: Another tough one due to the varies art styles used in each game. But I'm gonna have to choose SS AND MM. One thing I liked and appreciated about SS was character design. Most characters didn't have odd shaped heads or wtf designed looking faces (Looking at you Twilight Princess) and its atmosphere for each land was visually pleasing. Love OoT, but its graphics definitely looks dated after so many years (Haven't played OoT 3D yet so I can't comment on that), something MM manage to endure despite using the same engine OoT uses. Only reason I didn't choose WW is because between both Cel shaded styles of SS and WW, I prefer SS look.

Verdict - SS and MM both win this award.

Music: Majora Mask and OoT both take this award. TP, SS, and WW were great but too many uninteresting dungeon music drags them down. OoT and MM overall music score was great to me. And the Ocarina tunes in both game were also stellar...

Verdict - MM and OoT wins this award.

Dungeons: MM had the greatest dungeon designs without a doubt, but due to there being only 4 dungeons, I'm gonna have to give OoT the nod. Not only did it have a great amount of dungeons, but I also enjoyed playing through them as well (Including that dreadful water temple most people hate). SS was a new experience and I enjoyed many of its land/dungeons, but a few stretches of some of those dungeons was....bleh. Twilight Princess was the same way. Its dungeons up til Arbiter grounds did a decent job keeping my attention, but after that its pretty much a hit and miss. As far as Wind Waker goes, its situation is similar to MM where it had a few stellar designed dungeons, but the number of dungeons are few.

Verdict - OoT wins this category.

Combat: I want to say Twilight Princess, but Skyward Sword wins this one. It may have took over 20 hours of playtime to finally get used to SS controls, including combat, but once I figured it out, it felt a lot more immersive and fun to use over the other Zelda games.

Verdict - SS wins this category.

Content: Storywise, no doubt Twilight Princess. But overall content wise, I'm going with OoT. MM would have won this category because of the number of side quest and rewards for each side quest is superior to every other Zelda game and the story is also great. MM comes very close, but because it has fewer dungeons, OoT slightly edges it out IMO..

Verdict - OoT wins this category but MM should get an honorary mention as it comes extremely close to overthrowing OoT....

Sig

Garfield

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

-World: Twilight Princess

-Visuals: Twilight Princess

-Dungeons: Skyward Sword/ Twilight Princess

-Story: Windwaker, sidequest stories Majora's Mask

-Combat: Skyward Sword. Still blows my mind that people complain about the controls. Steep learning curve, but once you understand...

-Soundtrack: They're all great.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@Euaggelistes said:

I know I am going to catch flack for this, but The Adventure of Link had the best combat. Down thrust for the win.

I almost said that, too. The satisfaction of killing even some of the regular enemies is so intense in that game, and it really requires a lot of practice and perseverance to get good at it.

But down thrust for the win is pretty much the extent of the combat. Getting it just right takes some dexterity, but the controls of Skyward Sword are much more versatile with almost the same level of learning curve.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21647 Posts
@JordanElek said:

@Euaggelistes said:

I know I am going to catch flack for this, but The Adventure of Link had the best combat. Down thrust for the win.

I almost said that, too. The satisfaction of killing even some of the regular enemies is so intense in that game, and it really requires a lot of practice and perseverance to get good at it.

But down thrust for the win is pretty much the extent of the combat. Getting it just right takes some dexterity, but the controls of Skyward Sword are much more versatile with almost the same level of learning curve.

Ha! I started to mention Four Swords Adventure on the GC for similar reasons, even add it to one of the categories (Dungeons), but its too bad in order to really enjoy the game there has to be 3 other people. Still hoping Nintendo makes a Four Sword adventure with 4 player co-op in a MH Tri-esque way.....

Sig

Garfield

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#21  Edited By NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Ocarina of Time- totally nailed 3D design, dungeon design, world, controls, everything. It's a revolutionary game and it deserves credit for so much. Everything has since followed the design set forth by Ocarina.

Majora's Mask- totally nailed atmosphere, the game is creepy as hell. Visual design is also far ahead of the N64's capabilities, good stuff. Dungeon design enters a new level of complexity with this game as well. There's only four of them but because of that they come off as significantly more labyrinthine. It also deserves significant credit for the world as the sidequests fill up the bulk of the game's content and really let you appreciate the characters more.

Wind Waker- totally nailed atmosphere and visual design. The world is fascinating as well as the story and characters. Dungeons are a little weaker and the game could have used those two cut dungeons in place of that Triforce fetchquest in the game. Combat in Wind Waker was actually far more satisfying than in OoT and MM. It was a very solid step up and I still view it as the best of the button-based combat. Again another spectacular showdown against Ganondorf and in terms of story this showdown is potentially the most satisfying.

Twilight Princess- totally nailed dungeon design. I love Twilight Princess' dungeons. Arbiter's Grounds is one of my all-time favorites, but Snowpeak Ruins, Temple of Time, City in the Sky all could make my all-time favorites list, and the remainder were all spectacular. Twilight Princess also succeeds in building the world and story spectacularly. You look at the first 5 hours it takes before you hit the first dungeon, but then you realize that the game is like 60 hours long. It nails the dual world theme and the use of Wolf Link spectacularly to enhance the gameplay and features one of my favorite showdowns against Ganondorf.

Skyward Sword- totally nailed the potential of the Wii and motion controls. Just saying that alone is enough to justify this game's existence. It nailed design based on motion controls. It nailed combat based on motion controls, going so far as to make each fight feel like a puzzle in itself. It has the most exciting boss battles I have seen in the series. It nails the sense of discovery and exploration you felt in Wind Waker, except on foot. You have to explore the Faron Woods, the Eldin Volcano and the Lanayru region. They are essentially uncharted territory and you step into those places never sure of where to go. Navigating the land to reach the dungeons felt fresh and while the dungeons were shorter as a result, the quality of the actual world itself was significantly boosted over other entries. It is also the most challenging game in the series I have ever played. I also liked how you faced Ghirrahim multiple times, but that the first time you face him when you battle him he basically toys with you because you still aren't that comfortable with the concept of motion controls. The second time, well into the game you can lay the smackdown on him much easier and I love how that translates to a showdown with him later where it's just totally different and requires all of your focus.

The series, I've only played the 3D games mind you, is spectacular. I love all five of them.

The way I look at the Zelda games is based on design, and each of these five games feel timeless. That 1998's Ocarina of Time feels fresh and relevant today is proof of its greatness, while something like Goldeneye has faded significantly in my eyes and can't retain its status as a classic. The Zelda games have retained that sense of being timeless and I get it from watching the younger children humming Saria's song when they play outside all the way up to someone like my grandmother who can recognize Zelda and Link in a heartbeat.

Incradiator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 Incradiator
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Zelda is awesome
I am awesome
Anywho
When youre 5 years of age, and you jam that Link to the Past into that SNES and you hear that ding! Followed by the triforce coming together with the music afterwards. DAMN, theres not better feeling out there. Excellent game. Best one by far only because of those circumstances.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#23  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Story/ Atmosphere: Majora's Mask

World/ Sidequests: Majora's Mask, but followed in an incredibly close second by Wind Waker

Dungeons: Skyward Sword

Soundtrack: Wind Waker, followed closely by OoT

Graphics/ Artistic design: Majora's Mask, followed closely by Wind Waker

Overall quality: Majora's Mask

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 drekula2

Ocarina stumbles in it's story. Majora stumbles in it's core gameplay mechanics. Wind Waker stumbles in it's dungeon design. Twilight Princess stumbles in it's sound and overworld. Skyward Sword stumbles in it's pacing

and A Link to the Past is perfect.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

Skyward sword was able to touch me emotionally, i felt sad when Zelda was actually gone, the mood and atmosphere setting really gives you the emotion of said situation. I felt burned,pissed off and basically feel like poop when Impa insulted you in the Earth Temple after you beat the boss and had a chance to atleast see Zelda. All that work for nothing only to be hated for it was mind wreckening, and dont get me started on Groose's character development and role in the game that came out of nowhere and just pretty much i was able to follow the emotions set.

Also, hands down the best Water Temple ever, the Ancient Cistern was fantastically designed and wasnt tedious, and it finished with one of the best boss battles in Zelda History, Koloktoss was 10/10

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hotdiddykong

If i may say one thing i absolutely loved in Twilight Princess that i think you all can agree on as well and to which i hope the next Zelda copies,

It had hands down the best Weapon Variety and overall uses, Bomb Arrows, Ball n Chain,Gale Boomerang, Spinner, Double Hookshot,Iron boots were Magnetic, Dominion Rod. Just DAMN

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By drekula2

^ finally someone who doesn't see the giant weapon wheel as a flaw

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hotdiddykong

@drekula2:

Its not and i dont see how it ever was, it was meant for its puzzles that it was awesome with it especially that boss battle against that Giant Skeleton

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

Wind Waker took everything I love about Zelda and freaking mastered it. Story, characters, world, atmosphere, graphics, combat, exploration, content.. Wind Waker is by far the best Zelda game ever created.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#30 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

-World: Twilight Princess

Some people enjoy the ocean, but I prefer land. Galloping around Hyrule in Twilight Princess was a huge plus for me. The world is large and I enjoyed my time in it more than other games in the series.

-Visuals: Wind Waker HD

Wind Waker HD, undoubtedly, has the best visuals in the series thus far. I'm more partial to the Twilight Princess art style, but Wind Waker HD looks too damn good.

-Dungeons: Twilight Princess

Even after playing through the game a couple times now, I still run into trouble here and there.

-Story: Twilight Princess

Twilight Princess has quite possibly the deepest story of any Zelda thus far.

-Combat: Twilight Princess(GC)

Twilight Princess took what was established in Wind Waker and built upon it, making combat more varied and entertaining.

-Content: Majora's Mask

Though the world itself is smaller than other games in the series, there is so much to do that even after you finish all the dungeons and main quest, you can spend untold hours doing side quests to collect all the masks.

Added - Boss Fights: Majora's Mask(if I'm just going by quality) / A Link to the Past(if going by quality and quantity)

Majora's Mask has some pretty difficult boss fights against fairly massive enemies - ranking as my top favorite boss battles in the series. It's a shame there are so few of them. However, A Link to the Past strikes an excellent balance between boss quantity and quality - plenty of battles and they're all pretty good.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#31 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@drekula2 said:

Ocarina stumbles in it's story. Majora stumbles in it's core gameplay mechanics. Wind Waker stumbles in it's dungeon design. Twilight Princess stumbles in it's sound and overworld. Skyward Sword stumbles in it's pacing

and A Link to the Past is perfect.

ALttP is great, but it's not even the best 2D Zelda.