Which would you rather have as Nintendo's M franchise, Zelda or Metroid?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

Many people would like Nintendo to start making M games. Well, both Zelda and Metroid both seam to be viable canidates for plenty of "Maturity". For violence: Zelda already has blood, swords, arrows, ect. However, it lacks actual human enemies, besides Ganondor. Metroid has blood, guns, aliens, ect. However, it is faced the same problem as Zelda. For love: Zelda has Zelda (Duh!), and Metroid has ZSS. For language: Nintendo isn't doing language, that's usualy where they draw the line. So, which would you rather see with an M rating on it's cover?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

None of them

Nintendo's worked too hard to cultivate these franchises for short sighted people to kill them.

Anyone who wants mature titles isn't a fan of Nintendo and perhaps they should pick another console maker

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Zelda. Basically because I want to see a small change in the Zelda franchise and a more mature Zelda sounds great to me.
bluej33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#4 bluej33
Member since 2007 • 687 Posts

Yeah, neither. I love them both the way they are.

Although I suppose if you pointed a gun to my head and forced me to name a series that should go Mature on Nintendo's systems, I'd probably say Fire Emblem. I love it the way it is, but I can certainly see the potential for it to be vamped up a bit a get an M rating.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#5 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I don't see how killing people is supposed to be more mature than killing giant monsters and bloodthirsty demon creatures...

Zelda and Metroid games are great the way they are, I'm sure Nintendo doesn't care one way or another what ratings their games recieve; and I surely don't care what ratings their games receive...

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

That would be stupid of Nintendo to take their most valued and respected franchises and destroy them by putting some lame blood in it.

Why do people think that graphic, bloody killings are cool? It doesn't get much more immature than that.

"Yeah, these games get amazing reviews and sell incredibly well, but some more realistic murders would make them better."

No, it wouldn't.

It also kills Nintendo's image as "family friendly", which is a huge part of why they sell so well.

Let the 3rd parties have the M rated games, and Nintendo can stick with just making the best reviewed games in the business.

nnfnnfnfnnfnnf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nnfnnfnfnnfnnf
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts
Why would they do this to either franchise? They would probably sell less games!
geo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 geo888
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts
Why does it matter whether or not Nintendo has a M rated game? I understand that Nintendo has a "kiddy" reputation but it doesn't matter because they are, in my opinion, the best developer making games. When deciding a game the ESRB rating shouldn't be a deciding factor. They're meant for parents to decide what their kids play, so unless your a parent it really doesn't matter. If the game is fun, its fun. If Nintendo turns Metroid/Zelda into a M game I'll play it, or if they turn it into E game I'll play it. We should be focusing more on the quality of the game rather than the age group it is meant for.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Why does it matter whether or not Nintendo has a M rated game? I understand that Nintendo has a "kiddy" reputation but it doesn't matter because they are, in my opinion, the best developer making games. When deciding a game the ESRB rating shouldn't be a deciding factor. They're meant for parents to decide what their kids play, so unless your a parent it really doesn't matter. If the game is fun, its fun. If Nintendo turns Metroid/Zelda into a M game I'll play it, or if they turn it into E game I'll play it. We should be focusing more on the quality of the game rather than the age group it is meant for.geo888

How does it not matter?

If you make a game that kids can't play then kids don't play it

What's the point of taking Nintendo's most lucrative and popular franchises that have been enjoyed by all ages and make them so only a certain demographic can play them?

geo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 geo888
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts

[QUOTE="geo888"]Why does it matter whether or not Nintendo has a M rated game? I understand that Nintendo has a "kiddy" reputation but it doesn't matter because they are, in my opinion, the best developer making games. When deciding a game the ESRB rating shouldn't be a deciding factor. They're meant for parents to decide what their kids play, so unless your a parent it really doesn't matter. If the game is fun, its fun. If Nintendo turns Metroid/Zelda into a M game I'll play it, or if they turn it into E game I'll play it. We should be focusing more on the quality of the game rather than the age group it is meant for.Jaysonguy

How does it not matter?

If you make a game that kids can't play then kids don't play it

What's the point of taking Nintendo's most lucrative and popular franchises that have been enjoyed by all ages and make them so only a certain demographic can play them?

I don't think I worded that right so ill try again.

I don't think Nintendo should make their games around the ESRB rating. If lots of blood makes a game fun then put it in, but don't put it in just to give your game a M rating. When I play Zelda/Metroid I don't think to myself "this game would be a lot better if it had blood in it" but maybe it would be. If it does, put it in. If it doesn't, leave it out.

I agree that it would be an unwise move for Nintendo to make their games M rated, but from a gamers perspective I don't really care if they do or not, I just want to play the game.

Avatar image for DaLegendKilla92
DaLegendKilla92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaLegendKilla92
Member since 2007 • 919 Posts
Neither, but Metroid would probably be able to pull it off better, since Samus is already killing monsters. Nintendo's franchises like Zelda are already Mature enough to the point where an adult can still respect the story and depth of the game. Zelda is more of a fantasy-hero epic thing and doesn't need a beserk Deity Link running around kiling innocents with an M rating. If there was a game that could be real epic if it was M rated probably would be Fire Emblem like the guy above said. The cruelties and effects of war could really be explored in that. But obviously, these games are so good that they don't need M ratings. But Nintendo can do M good too (Eternal Darkness, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini)
Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
Both Zelda and Metroid are awesome as they are. Changing them to M rating would push them into a niche that would most likely kill the franchises.
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts
If they put a gun to my head, Metroid probably... but there's no need for either franchise to gore it up.
Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts

None of them

Nintendo's worked too hard to cultivate these franchises for short sighted people to kill them.

Anyone who wants mature titles isn't a fanboy of Nintendo and perhaps they should pick another console maker

Jaysonguy

fixed

I dont think they should make Metriod or Zelda rated M, but if I had to pick... maybe Metriod.

Also I think Nintendo should make a sequel to one of their rated M games *cough* Geist *cough*

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I think the metroid universe has the best potential... Rather than take a fanchise and 'ruin' it, why not make a sci-fi game that mentions 'The Metroid Hunter' and you play out a 'bad' bounty hunter that is constantly looking to beat out samus. Make it so you slowly develop into the new 'Dark Samus' in essence... which then Samus gets to chase around for a few games until the ultimate showdown. Of course the "metroid' named games don't need to ever touch 'M' rating, only the side games focusing on the bad hunter. For those that want to skip out on the 'M' games, make it so Metroid can tie into the 'new' character without really needing the other game(s). You satisfy both sides of the demographic, while not really having to develop a whole new universe or franchise.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bob_newman
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

None of them

Anyone who wants mature titles isn't a fanboy of Nintendo and perhaps they should pick another console maker

Jakendo

fixed

I dont think they should make Metriod or Zelda rated M, but if I had to pick... maybe Metriod.

Also I think Nintendo should make a sequel to one of their rated M games *cough* Geist *cough*

There's a difference between being a fan of a company, and being a fanboy. Fans enjoy Nintendo products, but are open to playing other systems, genres and games, while a fanboy is blind to the fact that Sony and MS make good games as well.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
The Wii doesn't need M games. It needs AO games ;) But yeah, I'll answer neither. No need to sully either fantastic franchise to appeal to a consumer base that is not the primary demographic.
Neilo_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Neilo_
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts
I would also say niether. These franchises have been prospering since the super nintendo era. I don't see a legitemate reason for slapping a "M" rating on a succesful game franchise. Would it be just so you can gain the respect of a handful of bloodthirsty gamers? It makes no sense to me. Pretty much everyone in this forum agrees with each other. We don't need an "M" franchise. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (although an "M" rating would most likely be a deterent, so the saying would have to go if it ain't broke, don't break it?)
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
What's it matter? Who cares what the game is rated. I don't buy games because they're rated M I buy games because I want to play them.
conzors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 conzors
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts
HURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Neither!
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Why can't people on here just answer a simple hypothetical question? It's not like it's gonna happen; hell, it's not even a rumour. Just someone who was wondering something.

I would probably prefer Metroid to be rated M. I like the Zelda franshise as it is and would feel that there's no point in making it rated M because in essence, it's virtually the definitive fantasy action-adventure game. A Rated M Metroid game would be interesting. Def. more blood and gore but it would start to feel like Halo or something.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#23 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts
I would rather neither one of those become M-rated franchises. I would be much happier if something original with an open-ended mythos, like Eternal Darkness, became their frequently revisited M-rated franchise.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bob_newman

Why can't people on here just answer a simple hypothetical question? It's not like it's gonna happen; hell, it's not even a rumour. Just someone who was wondering something.

I would probably prefer Metroid to be rated M. I like the Zelda franshise as it is and would feel that there's no point in making it rated M because in essence, it's virtually the definitive fantasy action-adventure game. A Rated M Metroid game would be interesting. Def. more blood and gore but it would start to feel like Halo or something.

Lyphe2k

Because, our answer is that we don't want either Zelda or Metroid to be rated M. It's a dumb idea.

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts
I want the games to stay as they are, maybe get a little newer world in the next zelda instead of reusing the old one, but don't ruin the games.
jjr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jjr10
Member since 2005 • 5880 Posts

For love: Zelda has Zelda (Duh!), and Metroid has ZSS.
Head_of_games

Samus is in love with herself?

Jakendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jakendo
Member since 2007 • 3841 Posts
[QUOTE="Jakendo"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

None of them

bob_newman

fixed

There's a difference between being a fan of a company, and being a fanboy. Fans enjoy Nintendo products, but are open to playing other systems, genres and games, while a fanboy is blind to the fact that Sony and MS make good games as well.

But to be a fan of Nintendo I have to not want mature games? Doesnt sound right to me.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Neither of them

I prefer to them to improve both series in gameplay over putting more blood or more gore.

etmaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 etmaul
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts

The beauty of both of these franchises is that they don't need to be M rated to be successful. Games like Halo, GTA and other M rated titles are great in their own right because they're so realistic and violent, but that works for them. The reason Zelda and Metroid are flagship titles for Nintendo is because they obviously appeal to a wide array of gamers. Retro took a huge chance making Metroid a FPS, but in keeping the explorer elements that makes Metroid great, it took the franchise to a whole new level. As for Zelda, the ability to go from cell-shaded graphics to a more realistic feel is something gamers have come to love about the franchise.

Thus, you won't draw in more gamers with an M rating, it would just bring more ridicule and most likely destroy these titles all together.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Well an M-rated Zelda would almost certainly be horrible and lame... but I feel like a Metroid game with more "mature" content could actually work, mainly because I feel like MP3 took the series in a decidedly immature direction. Although I think what I'm really looking for is a return to the mature yet non-uber-gory style of MP1 and 2.
Zombie_Eric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zombie_Eric
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts
Mario
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#32 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
Out of the two, Zelda. I don't really care if they do or don't (I'll buy them either way, who gives a ****?), but after TP I think Zelda is the one in more need of change. I don't think it would make a difference in sales, as it might attract older gamers, and most kids aren't restricted from playing M rated games.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Nintendo has already maked M-rated games: Geist.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#34 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

pft your questions already answered nintendo made geist ,, and metrod and zelda tp which is mature enough,,

you dont like games like that then get a 3-6-0 ,, or ps3 we all know what that systems name stands for , i wont say it and i wont tell u about the quality of the 360 becasue telling you would be already the worst thing i can say about the 360

,,, theres fps games on wii , theres re4 reuc ghost squad , destruction day of crisis , tom clancy series driver , god father manhunt 2 scarface , soon re0 , timesplitters 4 and second sight 2 so why are wee complaining again? or making another thread that askes for mature games on wii again ,, go look stop b eing lazy

heres a big list of m rated software

red steel

farcry

man hunt 2

re4 wii edition

re uc

medal of honor(rated t but still) vanguard and heroes 2

call of duty 3 soon call of duty 5

timesplitters 4

driver paralel lines

re0 soon

secondsight 2

jamesbond 2008 title

bully se

zelda tp -rated t

metroid prime 3-rated t

and more to be added/announced at a later time

there now go

hope this helped,

i am reallly sick of these threads wheres the usefull ones

and which games did sell more a t or m rated software

in the past its proven ,

goldeneye sold 8,9 million copies on the top as far as fps go up til halo 3 the first ever to sell 9 million for a m rated fps

gta sold more because theres more of it

but the biggest seller is super mario series why because it is rated e therefore every one is able to go in to a store and buy the game as apposed to gta,, you need an id to buy it now,, thus it doesnt atract more of any audience then a mario zelda metroid james bond anything rated e-t is likey to sell more then those rated m

its obvious why nintndo is and has been success ful they do titles in all ratings giest-m zelda e or t etc

you want more violent games get a console whoms is falling behind reason why ps3 caught 360 this month is because it has like nintendo mroe first party titles available to every one,

in fact go grab your self the latest issue and read this , microsoft gaming studios has left microsoft thats right and ironically they are gonna call their new company , free at last , so all thats left for first party is rare hm wouldnt trust them any more

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Mature ratings tend not to sell as well and you dont need a M for a good game and Nintendo has proven that time after time.