Which next Metroid game must I play after Super Metroid?

gh87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By gh87
Member since 2018 • 69 Posts

I am currently playing Super Metroid. I've never played a Metroid game before, so I'm playing it first. I'm uncertain whether to call it casual-friendly. The controls are decent-ish (if not okay-ish), but the wall jumping is damn too hard (well, for me). Also, it was made for SNES, the one before N64 and then Gamecube. The (mini-?)bosses are tougher to beat without using essential missiles (or bombs). (EDIT: Scratch that; I used up all the missiles in one mini-boss and got defeated by it.)

I can't say whether it's good or bad; I've not yet gone up to the final part of the game yet. However, I don't know whether I should play the NES Metroid or Metroid Prime next, and I can't tell whether each game of the series is damn hard or damn easy. Suggestions?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7204 Posts

Don't bother with NES Metroid. It was impressive in it's time but has not aged well. Play Zero Mission instead as it's a remake of the original that adds the advancements of Super. Metroid Prime would probably be the way to go since you don't like the controls in the 2D games. It's a little easier than Super Metroid, but offers a very similar experience in 3D.

A lot of people really like Samus Returns on 3DS, but I haven't played that one.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

If you have access to Gameboy Advance, try out Metroid Fusion.

Agree with judas though, give the original a pass. Unless you have a nostalgic connection to that one, it's tough to go back and play.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime.

New one on 3DS seems good as well, haven't played it myself.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@gh87:

If you can master Super Metroid then the rest should be easy. So just go with whatever interests you. Metroid the Other M was also surprisingly good and it's a nice nod to the 2d platformers. But I recommend Prime trilogy and Metroid 2 remake on 3DS.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Samus Returns is superb.

Charles27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Charles27
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts
Loading Video...

@judaspete:

I loved the original Metroid so much I recreated the Brinstar theme song. ^_^

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7204 Posts

@charles27: That's pretty cool. Even if I don't think the game holds up, the original Metroid does have the best music :)