Which is the better way to play the latest Monster Hunter?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Hey all, I was just wondering is the newest Monster Hunter better on 3DS or Wii-U. I'm thinking of maybe getting one of these systems and MH is one of my favorite series, so it'll help me decided which to get. Right now I'm leaning towards the Wii-U version due to it being in HD and online play. A lot of people I know will be getting it on 3DS, but since they can link to the Wii-U that seems to be a good option. However, the price of the 3DS is pretty nice and as a result I was wondering how the game is on it. I know there won't be online play but how are the controls and graphics?

Thanks for any info, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

DonkeyBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DonkeyBrains
Member since 2013 • 38 Posts

If you have friends to play with all the time get it on 3DS because:

a) The 3DS has way more games right now

b) It plays pretty much perfectly except for in underwater segments, which are terrible anyways and you could buy a circle pad pro for 20 dollars if you actually need it

& c) The 3DS costs less and the Wii U doesn't really justify the graphical difference yet.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By blueboxdoctor

@donkeybrains: Can the 3DS play regular DS games? I never had a DS but there are some games I was interested in that my friends had. And is the circle pad pro basically just to control the camera, because that would be great (MH on the PSP was really aggravating to control the camera, that's the last I played MH). Also, is a normal 3DS fine or should I go for the larger one?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

3ds has more games and is cheaper.....but you might have to buy a circle pad pro...playing on a small screen may be a bit uncomfortable for more than a couple hours...

i think the experience would be better on wiiU....but more expensive and less other games...

also... monster hunter 4 should come to usa next year.....it will be on 3ds for sure....but wiiU version is uncertain at this time.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

WiiU is the better way to play MH3U, no question. It's easier to control, which is a huge factor, and it has online play, which, as you know as a Monster Hunter fan, is also a huge factor.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@blueboxdoctor said:

@donkeybrains: Can the 3DS play regular DS games? I never had a DS but there are some games I was interested in that my friends had. And is the circle pad pro basically just to control the camera, because that would be great (MH on the PSP was really aggravating to control the camera, that's the last I played MH). Also, is a normal 3DS fine or should I go for the larger one?

Yes the 3DS plays DS games.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Like the others have said, the Wii U version is superior because of online multiplayer. It's possible to have lots of fun with MH3U on the 3DS, but a huge chunk of the experience is teaming up with other players. If you buy the 3DS version and none of your local friends have the game, expect to play solo, which would make the game MUCH more difficult. At least the Wii U version gives you the option to play with people or alone.

Keep in mind that MH4 should be released here sometime next year for the 3DS and it DOES have online multiplayer. An HD version of MH4 for the Wii U has not been mentioned in Japan.

For your 3DS questions:
The 3DS can play 99% of all DS games. I would recommend the 3DS XL for the larger screens and better battery life. It's definitely a huge plus.

Avatar image for deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
Member since 2013 • 82 Posts

I have been wondering the thing. I however am considering getting Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii. I have never played a MH game before so I am not sure if I will like it or not. I can find the wii version the cheapest. I don't have a Wii U but I am awfully tempted to just buy the 3DS version to build my game library for the 3ds.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blueboxdoctor

@am_h8ter_ade: I believe the 3DS version is on sale for $20 at Gamestop this week.

I'm leaning more towards the 3DS version since I can get a good deal on a 3DS and can get MH on sale, plus I found out a lot of people I know just got MH on their 3DS for Christmas.

Out of curiosity, is the 3DS durable or should I get a warranty?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

The CPP is a must have for underwater fights and it comes in handy on land, too. you can also set the extra triggers on the CPP to do a couple of different things in the options.

I'd buy it on 3DS just because no matter how small the screen is, the monsters look huge and somehow terrifying in 3D.

And I'd buy a 3DS XL if given the chance- the resolution change isn't as severe as it seemed like everyone was claiming at the time, and damn. It's just so... big.

My launch day 3DS is still humming along smoothly- less a few scratches on the upper screen(buy screen protectors, kids).

That ought to answer a few of the biggies.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@am_h8ter_ade said:

I have been wondering the thing. I however am considering getting Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii. I have never played a MH game before so I am not sure if I will like it or not. I can find the wii version the cheapest. I don't have a Wii U but I am awfully tempted to just buy the 3DS version to build my game library for the 3ds.

Monster Hunter Tri may be the cheapest, but offers the least amount of content, especially since a huge chunk of it was exclusive to online and Capcom shut down the server a few months ago.

You can buy it to see if you would like the series, but expect most MH games to be 2 or 3 times larger than Tri.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#13 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts

@blueboxdoctor: Pretty much everyone else has answered your question. I got both because I also love MH so much, since MHTri. 3DS is great as you can have it with you all the time, and you can do dozens of mining or Moga forest missions without worry for your time. When coming back to the Wii U, the online community is still very alive and you'll be ranking in no time.

3DS version looks very good, specially in XL, but the underwater fights are very difficult unless you get good managing the camera.

Wii U has no problem and works great. Personally I was expecting Wiimote support or local multiplayer but now I got vey used to have the second screen and a very minimal UI on the main screen. Graphically, it does look better than the Wii version, but not that good for a Wii U game, is just a light update actually.

In any case, it also depends on your gaming preference, portable or home.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 El_Zo1212o

@enrique_marrodz: How does the Wii U version handle camera control? Is it still free left-to-right and locked to five(ish?) vertical angles?

Avatar image for deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
Member since 2013 • 82 Posts

@blueboxdoctor: Thanks for the tip. I am getting the 3DS version from gamestop for that price.

I haven't had any issues my 3DS. I have always found Nintendo quality to be impeccable. Haven't had any issues with my 3DS. I own all the Nintendo consoles except the Wii U and my even my NES from way back when I was just a lad works like a dream.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blueboxdoctor

I went for getting a 3DS XL for MH. So far I'm liking it, though I may get the circle pad add on for the underwater parts or just team up with some people who are better at controlling the camera under water. Now I have to take a look at all the 3DS and DS games I have been missing out on.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

Seriously, don't get a Wii U for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, just get Tri on the original Wii. The original still has a ton of content, and the visual and content jump in the enhanced version is nowhere near worth the cost of the game and a console unless you're a Monster Hunter fanatic.. Go with Tri or the 3DS which is getting 4.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By El_Zo1212o

@blueboxdoctor: I know many people would disagree with me here, but I thought Lord of the Rings: Conquest on DS was great- a top-down viewpoint on massive battles with various missions tossed in together. It was almost like a Warriors game, but with less flash and your character doesn't start out at an unstoppable badass.

Other favorites of mine include Hotel Dusk and Last Window, the 3 Castlevanias, Glory Days 2 and the NYT Daily Crossword.

On 3DS, I recommend:

Samurai Warriors Chronicles(sensing a pattern here?),

Captain America: Super Soldier- Unfortunate art style or no, there's action, platforming, puzzle solving and secret gathering all in equally satisfying measures.

The Amazing Spiderman- Best console port on the system, I actually prefer the 3DS version to the lackluster 360 release.

Arkham Origins: Blackgate- The map is nearly useless as a means of finding a route to your next objective, so the first playthrough can drag while you wander aimlessly until you stumble on it yourself(lack of respawning bad guys doesn't help at all), but after that, the game can be lots of fun. and while the moveset is severely limited compared to the console Arkham games, it still offers enough that you can be a real badass in the bigger fights.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy- It's dogfighting and acrobatics. Plus it looks totally bitchin' in 3D.

enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 enrique_marrodz

@El_Zo1212o said:

@enrique_marrodz: How does the Wii U version handle camera control? Is it still free left-to-right and locked to five(ish?) vertical angles?

You can move the camera freely with the left stick and also the semi-lock-on feature from the 3DS, so you can do both.

enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By enrique_marrodz

@ttualumni13: I disagree. Despite the 600+hrs I spent on my Wii I still love so much more the Wii U version. New monsters, new weapons, new areas and, most important, this time there are no restrictions to hunt any monster off/online. With the MHTri servers down you won't be able to hunt 3 of he best monsters (ok, 2 of the best and 1 a little bit boring).