when do you think we'll be able to use the buttons on the gamepad in vwii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

i got to say being able to use the gamepad at all is a nice first step, and i am personally grateful for nintendo actually listening for those of us that asked.

but after playing a couple of games on it, holding the system and and controller is a bit of a pain in the ass

i know most games are just a "bad idea" for use on the gamepad (a wiimote, nunchuck, and balancing the wiipad ><, even just a classic controller and balancing the wiipad is difficult), and im not expecting some crazy magical workaround to make all my gamepad wishes come true :P

but alot of games would work perfectly with just the inputs on the pad, so obviously its the next logically step

when do you think it'll happen?

i hope its be4 the end of the year, but im not holding my breath. realistically i would say 8-12 months, and i base that on absolutely nothing :)

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
My bet is never. Few games don't use any kind of motion control, and then you have IR controls. They would have to make the games again to make them compatible with "gamepad controls" which is impossible. So don't get your hopes up.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
[QUOTE="Rod90"]My bet is never. Few games don't use any kind of motion control, and then you have IR controls. They would have to make the games again to make them compatible with "gamepad controls" which is impossible. So don't get your hopes up.

I've read that the Dolphin emulator (hope that's okay to mention that here...) allows you to use the mouse as a Wii pointer. How does that work?
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
[QUOTE="Rod90"]My bet is never. Few games don't use any kind of motion control, and then you have IR controls. They would have to make the games again to make them compatible with "gamepad controls" which is impossible. So don't get your hopes up.

Or they could make it so the Wii software sees the gamepad as a classic controller and if anything it would only work for games that can use the CC.
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#5 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9574 Posts

i got to say being able to use the gamepad at all is a nice first step, and i am personally grateful for nintendo actually listening for those of us that asked.

but after playing a couple of games on it, holding the system and and controller is a bit of a pain in the ass

i know most games are just a "bad idea" for use on the gamepad (a wiimote, nunchuck, and balancing the wiipad ><, even just a classic controller and balancing the wiipad is difficult), and im not expecting some crazy magical workaround to make all my gamepad wishes come true :P

but alot of games would work perfectly with just the inputs on the pad, so obviously its the next logically step

when do you think it'll happen?

i hope its be4 the end of the year, but im not holding my breath. realistically i would say 8-12 months, and i base that on absolutely nothing :)

i-rock-socks

I don't know about that. The software is looking for specific resources to work with. Games that use only the Wiimote & nunchuck can't really be helped, as that's their only means of input. Theoretically, they could  modify the Wii OS within the Wii U to look for and use the Gamepad for games that give you the option of using the classic controller. I wouldn't count on it, though.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

My bet is never.Rod90

Correct answer

We'll never see it

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 i-rock-socks

[QUOTE="Rod90"]My bet is never.Jaysonguy

Correct answer

We'll never see it

thats what people said about using the screen in vwii at all so excuse me if i dont agree
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Rod90"]My bet is never.i-rock-socks

Correct answer

We'll never see it

thats what people said about using the screen in vwii at all so excuse me if i dont agree

They didn't

The Wii could be streamed, anything can be streamed

But the streaming doesn't matter if you can't control it there too

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36386 Posts
Depends. It might not technical be possible, or it might be that Nintendo just hasn't figured out a way to implement it yet. I think it's more to do with the fact that it's a technical issue more than anything.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#10 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I've read that the Dolphin emulator (hope that's okay to mention that here...) allows you to use the mouse as a Wii pointer. How does that work?AtelierFan
Emulation of the system that tracks the IR spots on the sensor bar, I guess. There's no technical reason why Nintendo couldn't implement something similar with the right analog stick. It would be clunky, sure, but it would work.
JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

[QUOTE="AtelierFan"]I've read that the Dolphin emulator (hope that's okay to mention that here...) allows you to use the mouse as a Wii pointer. How does that work?DJ_Lae
Emulation of the system that tracks the IR spots on the sensor bar, I guess. There's no technical reason why Nintendo couldn't implement something similar with the right analog stick. It would be clunky, sure, but it would work.

A mouse would be a perfect pointer substitution for a Wiimote..........an analog stick on the other hand would be straight up TERRIBLE! Imagine trying to play Wii Sports or shooting games that were made for the motion controls with the Gamepads analog sticks, YUCK! I think most of you are seriously overlooking how much work would have to go into getting the Gamepad to work with alot of Wii games. They were meant to be played with a Wiimote, not analog sticks. 

Just take this feature for what it is, turning your Wii U Gamepad into a little tv for playing Wii games if someone else is using the big screen. 

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

A mouse would be a perfect pointer substitution for a Wiimote..........an analog stick on the other hand would be straight up TERRIBLE! Imagine trying to play Wii Sports or shooting games that were made for the motion controls with the Gamepads analog sticks, YUCK! I think most of you are seriously overlooking how much work would have to go into getting the Gamepad to work with alot of Wii games. They were meant to be played with a Wiimote, not analog sticks. 

Just take this feature for what it is, turning your Wii U Gamepad into a little tv for playing Wii games if someone else is using the big screen. 

JuanGrande386
I think both would be pretty terrible. A mouse would work okay for emulating games that only use the Wiimote as a cursor, but anything that has more motion (Wii Sports like you mentioned) would still be unplayable. Either one would only work as a stopgap for games where accurate wiimote support might not be necessary. But any game that supports classic controllers should be able to work on the gamepad without any issue at all.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

[QUOTE="i-rock-socks"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Correct answer

We'll never see it

Jaysonguy

They didn't

So you admit it in this thread but not the other one?

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 i-rock-socks

[QUOTE="i-rock-socks"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Correct answer

We'll never see it

Jaysonguy

They didn't

they didnt?

how full of sh*t (very) are you to boldly state "no one said it wouldnt happen"?

i personally saw it at least once, so ur wrong.

anything can be streamed... yeah... who said it couldnt be done, people said it "wouldn't" happen

it just happend.

the fact that people think its "impossible" to map the buttons on the gamepad to a virtual classic controller or something is stupid

i dont doubt it might be difficult, or not ideal and that it may take a while, but i do doubt its impossible and i disagree that it will "Never happen"

also, ur a douchebag :)

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

[QUOTE="JuanGrande386"]

Correct answer

We'll never see it

DJ_Lae

They didn't

Although I'm not too sure if they could ever get it to work either, you shouldn't really say we'll never see it as you don't really know. I actually think you may be right, but there's a definite possibility your wrong, we all can be wrong from time to time. Also it's not really a useless feature. It's like having a small TV you can put almost anywhere in your house to play Wii games. I doubt I'd ever play long sessions of Wii on it, but I could see the benefits of playing a few Wii games in another room without moving my Wii U.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#16 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9574 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="i-rock-socks"] thats what people said about using the screen in vwii at all so excuse me if i dont agreei-rock-socks

They didn't

*Cut to decrease size of post. No disrespect*

Jason just likes to mess with people. Don't take him too seriously. ;)

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="AtelierFan"]I've read that the Dolphin emulator (hope that's okay to mention that here...) allows you to use the mouse as a Wii pointer. How does that work?JuanGrande386

I might disagree about the analogue stick being terrible - I mean a lot of the games just use flicks to replace d pad movements anyway (Crystal Chronicles, No More Heroes, for example). And a game like Muramasa would work just fine :)
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

It will never happen because Nintendo doesn't focus on the minute technical details. They just let those problems exist. Kind of like when the original Wii had storage problem for years and they came up with a discombobulated solution. I knew people that just ran out of storage and they were lite consumers in terms of electronics and they simply stopped play.

Nintendo thinks these little details do not matter if they cannot draw a straight line to its financial benefit. They probably see the amount of work it would take to retrofit new control inputs to old software as unimportant considering most Wii games are already bought.