What's with Nintendo and bringing back old franchises?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

3dfd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 3dfd
Member since 2008 • 767 Posts

At E3 they announced a return of lots of old franchises, like Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong Country, PilotWings, Star Fox 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocinaria of Time, and much more. Plus, new games like Punch Out Wii and a couple others were based on old franchises.

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
It's Nintendo, they can do whatever they want.
ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

All I know, is that I'm not complaining. My guess is though, if they think they can make money off it, then they will try to.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
they sell, they're, in most cases, major franchises that's always been around, and they make the whiny fans shut their mouths. no more "nintendo doesn't love me anymore :cry:", thank god... and nintendo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

Why would you let High Quality, High Selling IP die? Answer: you wouldn't.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
Well, a lot of their IP's have been around for a while, it's just that those games usually live without too much fanfare.
dawnofhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#7 dawnofhero
Member since 2010 • 1284 Posts

I think personally that Nintendo wants rookie gamers, or younger ones, to live what vetren gamers have played in the past. The reason being, the old games were classics, and reviving them onto modern systems is exciting. It's what has worked in the past on the GameBoys. The GBA, for instance, could play SNES games. The DS can play N64 type games. And now, with the 3DS on the move, we'll be able to play high quality N64 games + new ones. Then one day, we'll be playing Super Mario Sunshine portable. Where has the time gone?

Crotazoa8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Crotazoa8
Member since 2010 • 1230 Posts
So they can make money for something they already made in the past.
CHOVI3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#9 CHOVI3
Member since 2010 • 72 Posts

I think they're just building up some hype, probably some new franchises will come later on

Jeanp34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jeanp34
Member since 2010 • 123 Posts

As long as the games are fun, I don't have any problem with bringing back old franchises.

jsh020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jsh020
Member since 2010 • 1168 Posts

i dont know but if you ask me too many gamers and reviewer get caught up in nostalgia and make the game seem better then they actualy are.

seriously look at games this gen that are sequals that have cons counted towards them for being too much like the original and not changeing the formula up anough......then mario galaxy 2 blatently re-releases the first game and its get goty 2010(yes i know its not official yet but it still is the highest rated game this year)

metroid comes out with another game but before anyone could play it, it becomes MOST ANTICIPATED GAME OF E3

anyone else notice this

GAMERKID707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 GAMERKID707
Member since 2009 • 461 Posts

At E3 they announced a return of lots of old franchises, like Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong Country, PilotWings, Star Fox 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocinaria of Time, and much more. Plus, new games like Punch Out Wii and a couple others were based on old franchises.

3dfd

because they cant think of anything new

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

I really think it's all part of their master plan. Last generation they get millions of casual gamers and they'll expose them to more complex yet fun games that gets them into core gaming with Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros. After this you could expose them to more core games like the remakes and you'll have a bigger and more diverse fanbase that will allow Nintendo to survive on gaming alone. So you have them making money and catering to everyone at the same time.

xfactor19990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 xfactor19990
Member since 2004 • 10917 Posts
catering to us old folk
Jachael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jachael
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

It's Nintendo, it's what they do. They remake the stuff over and over and people suck it up like it's water.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

[QUOTE="3dfd"]

GAMERKID707

I believe that they can easily make something new and creative, look at Super Mario Galaxy or their consoles and handhelds. Over the years they released dozens of new series, and there's a new IP coming out called Xenoblade (not to mention what Shigeru Miyamoto is working on). Kirby Epic Yarn and Kid Icarus: Uprising don't even resemble their platforming counterparts. Metroid Other M is also completely different from its previous entries. It's a third person to first person shooter mixed with platforming elements and a strong emphasis on story. I don't think Nintendo has ran out of ideas.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="3dfd"]

GAMERKID707

unlike other companies!
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
nintendo can do that, cause people will buy it in a instant. why would you pass up on sales opportunity.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
One, I think the franchises were a success in the first place due to characters and concept. As new gamers emerge it is only natural they will want to play this well thought out and created types of games. Two, those that remember those games from their youth now have kids and would probably want to introduce them to gaming with the titles and characters they remember. I liked a lot of those games as such the sequels, that I haven't played in 10 years or so look very appealing to try out again. Both of these answers point to the same logic: If it sold once, more than likely it will sell again. Of course this time they enhance it a bit and make it shinier. Who doesn't like shinier?
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
Because so many people were complaining that we didn't get a good entry in those franchises for a long time. :|
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 3463 Posts

If you don't like these games, you don't have to buy them necessarily. There are other games too.

Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Barbie_Boy
Member since 2009 • 667 Posts

since nintendo is good in doing what they are doing

they market the games to kids and make em grow up with good games with a beloved mascot but they don't make the game kiddy and makes it appeal to them when they are grown up, this can also lead to them making there kids also play the game and so on.

Nindento might not change that much between some games but they usally change more then I can say for several sequels

Zeus-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zeus-Guy
Member since 2004 • 728 Posts
Because people kept complaining that they were just "rehashing" Mario, Metroid, and Zelda every five minutes.
MRBUCKMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MRBUCKMASTER
Member since 2010 • 758 Posts
your question can be answered with just this one word: money
midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 midisurfmind
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts

Their franchises might interest people. Suits me. Last Kid Icarus was on the NES if I remember right, and last Punch Out was on the SNES, so it works on nostalgia for those that played the originals and it'll be a new experience for those that didn't. Nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. Bringing back 10+ year old games with extra polish on the 3DS should be great - I never played Ocarina beyond about the 5 hour mark, and Lylat Wars 64 is the only Starfox game I really got into (though I wanna try the SNES version if it ever comes out on the VC) so I'm not gonna object to seeing them again anymore than I did when I got the chance to play Link to the Past and Super Mario World again when they were released on the GBA.

Outrun, Bionic Commando and a fair few others have made a comeback as well. If I enjoy the games, I couldn't care less if that makes me an 'uneducated sucker' in the eyes of some.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

HA HA HA! I cannot believe that you actually would think that Nintendo cares about gamers like that. So far their fanbase is a bunch of suckers who will pay for the same thing over and over again. So what if the GBA can play SNES games, I and all other gamers want new games and not remakes of games from the past. People who support remakes of old games are not gamers they are just uneducated suckers.JackBotWizard
So...you're saying Nintendo doesn't have any new games? :?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="JackBotWizard"]HA HA HA! I cannot believe that you actually would think that Nintendo cares about gamers like that. So far their fanbase is a bunch of suckers who will pay for the same thing over and over again. So what if the GBA can play SNES games, I and all other gamers want new games and not remakes of games from the past. People who support remakes of old games are not gamers they are just uneducated suckers.forgot_it

So...you're saying Nintendo doesn't have any new games? :?

why do you even bother giving this guy attention?
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

You mean "What's with Nintendo being awesome?"

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Unlike Sony and M$ they have old franchises to bring back, and its knda a fan service for them to.

GAMERKID707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 GAMERKID707
Member since 2009 • 461 Posts

Unlike Sony and M$ they have old franchises to bring back, and its knda a fan service for them to.

Cruse34

true,but mario is like 40 years old,it doesnt madder what they do to him,any mario game is boring to me,not my mom,or little brother,but its boring to me,well mario sunshine is fun though

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 19061980

[QUOTE="Cruse34"]

GAMERKID707

true,but mario is like 40 years old,it doesnt madder what they do to him,any mario game is boring to me,not my mom,or little brother,but its boring to me,well mario sunshine is fun though

29 years.

That reminds me, I wonder if Nintendo will do anything special for Mario's 30th anniversary next year?

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

[QUOTE="GAMERKID707"]

[QUOTE="Cruse34"]

29 years.

That reminds me, I wonder if Nintendo will do anything special for Mario's 30th anniversary next year?

I hope they havea massive huge in your face party!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 19061980

[QUOTE="19061980"]

[QUOTE="GAMERKID707"]true,but mario is like 40 years old,it doesnt madder what they do to him,any mario game is boring to me,not my mom,or little brother,but its boring to me,well mario sunshine is fun though

Cruse34

29 years.

Lol, that'd be nice, but like on his 25th there was a special edition GBA micro.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Cruse34"]

[QUOTE="19061980"]

29 years.

Lol, that'd be nice, but like on his 25th there was a special edition GBA micro.

well the 3DS will be out by then... *drooling*
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I think nostalgia helps to sell old franchises, so that could be a reason why they're doing it. Plus, it's nice to see them still have an interest in some of their lesser series opposed to them just abandoning them all together.

3dfd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#37 3dfd
Member since 2008 • 767 Posts

[QUOTE="19061980"]

[QUOTE="GAMERKID707"]true,but mario is like 40 years old,it doesnt madder what they do to him,any mario game is boring to me,not my mom,or little brother,but its boring to me,well mario sunshine is fun though

Cruse34

29 years.

It won't actually be Mario's 30th anniversery, but Donkey Kong's. Mario wasn't in the original Donkey Kong, it was just a character named Jumpman. Mario's first real game was Mario Bros, which means his anniversary will be in 2012.

But yes, I do hope they throw a huge party!

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Cruse34"]

[QUOTE="19061980"]

29 years.

3dfd

It won't actually be Mario's 30th anniversery, but Donkey Kong's. Mario wasn't in the original Donkey Kong, it was just a character named Jumpman. Mario's first real game was Mario Bros, which means his anniversary will be in 2012.

But yes, I do hope they throw a huge party!

nope, mario just got a real name on mario bros, doesn't make donkey kong any less of a mario game.