Whats with all the bad reviews?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

swish4three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 swish4three
Member since 2003 • 384 Posts
Ok I really want to get  a Wii soon.  So far I've only been able to play wii sports and wii play.  I love all of the technical aspects of the wii, GC compatibility, VC channel, everything.  But I don't understand why all the reviews for games are so low.  I like all types of games.  This system would most likely become a social system for me though.  But I still like to play FPS games and probably would buy Zelda and soon as possible. So far most of the games out there have bad reviews.  I just really don't understand why the reviewers are trashing the games.  Your thoughts?
Avatar image for deactivated-5ead18461c800
deactivated-5ead18461c800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5ead18461c800
Member since 2007 • 478 Posts

Basically, the games getting bad reviews are the bad games. The majority of them are horrible-quality movie cash-ins and such.

You don't see games like Super Paper Mario and Zelda getting bad reviews, do you?

swish4three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 swish4three
True.  But what about Red Steel, CoD3, Medal of Honor, Splinter Cell, the cooking mama game looked interesting.  But they're all getting bad reviews.  I mean I'd still try them before I buy them.  I'm hopeful overall the reviews will pick up towards the end of their first year.  But it seems like most people have issues with the controls.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5ead18461c800
It's basically all about effort. The people who made the good games decided to put effort into a product that looked AND played well. The developers of the bad games just wanted to make a quick Wii port with cruddy graphics (yes, most of the bad Wii games are in fact PS2 ports) and sloppy controls to make a quick buck.
davidwes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 davidwes
Member since 2005 • 89 Posts

If you actually read the reviews you will see that some games like Red Steel get bad reviews because they ARE BAD. Others get bad reviews because the reviewer feels they are better on other systems. For instance godfather got a okay score but if you read the review they loved it. They just lowered the score because its the same game that came out for the ps2 2 years ago.

Mostly though, the wii has gotten only ports so far, therefore the bad reviews. You can tell developers just did not think the wii was going to sell and got caught off guard. Soon you will start to see better games and better reviews. 

jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts

Basically, the games getting bad reviews are the bad games. The majority of them are horrible-quality movie cash-ins and such.

You don't see games like Super Paper Mario and Zelda getting bad reviews, do you?

Hyper_Shado

Maybe he means that they don't get a score higher than 9... 

Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Spelunker
Member since 2002 • 11428 Posts
[QUOTE="Hyper_Shado"]

jorgeluisbl

Which doesn't make a "bad" review.

There aren't really any great games for the Wii yet: the software is a bit lackluster at best.

swish4three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 swish4three
[QUOTE="Hyper_Shado"]

jorgeluisbl

No, I mean it be cool for games to be received that well but I look around the web and the majority of games are in the 5 to 6 category.  I don't usually go off of reviews but it seems that other systems in the past usually had pretty balance starts.  I guess you guys might be right though its the ports and lack of 3rd party support.  I know any game, just about, that is produced by Nintendo is going to be well received.  I guess I was just a little skeptical of all of the bad control reviews.  A lot of times they ding the reviews with graphics though, but I think as long as their better than the last generation of systems they should be ok on the eyes for a long period of time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5ead18461c800
[QUOTE="jorgeluisbl"][QUOTE="Hyper_Shado"]

Spelunker

There aren't really any great games for the Wii yet except for Super Paper Mario, Zelda, and Sonic M I RITE???: the software is a bit lackluster at best.

Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Spelunker
[QUOTE="jorgeluisbl"][QUOTE="Hyper_Shado"]

swish4three

No, I mean it be cool for games to be received that well but I look around the web and the majority of games are in the 5 to 6 category. I don't usually go off of reviews but it seems that other systems in the past usually had pretty balance starts. I guess you guys might be right though its the ports and lack of 3rd party support. I know any game, just about, that is produced by Nintendo is going to be well received. I guess I was just a little skeptical of all of the bad control reviews. A lot of times they ding the reviews with graphics though, but I think as long as their better than the last generation of systems they should be ok on the eyes for a long period of time.

Then why are you bringing this up then?  Besides being pretty crappy overall, most of these games that are getting rough scores aren't "better than the last generation of games".  Most of them are pretty ugly for a GCN game, and are well below the better looking games from last gen.  There still hasn't been a Wii game released that looks better than everything from last gen, so that really shouldn't be your criteria.

DrewBlood08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DrewBlood08
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts
Quite a few of the games out there are ports of current-gen games with Wii-mote controls added to them.  Till they really start being innovative and pushing boundries, I think the low scores will keep coming.  When all the developers start focusing purely on the next-gen, then we will see some original titles and hopefully higher ratings.
Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spelunker
[QUOTE="Spelunker"][QUOTE="jorgeluisbl"][QUOTE="Hyper_Shado"]

Hyper_Shado

There aren't really any great games for the Wii yet except for Super Paper Mario, Zelda, and Sonic M I RITE???: the software is a bit lackluster at best.

No, I don't think you are 'rite'.  SPM is good, Zelda is very good (but is entirely a last gen game, and below what should be the standards for this gen) and Sonic is very hit or miss.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ead18461c800

I thought scores of 8 or above were classified as "great" by you guys. :P

I know what you mean though.

raccoonmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 raccoonmage
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Sonic is a prime example of way games get low ratings. Most people played sonic for about 20 minutes then gave up on it, but they never got to the climax of the game where you get the hang of it.  But hey, at least it's not Sonic the Hedgehog for ps3 and 360, That game was miserable. D:

pro_gamer12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 pro_gamer12345
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts

Hyper_Shado

not true.....gamers like mario party 8 deserved to get a very high rating. or atleast a high 8 or a low 9. when i saw the score gamespot gave Mario party 8 i was pretty dissapointed. Some games do get bad ratings because they are bad. But you can cheack other sites such as gametrailers.com i think they game mario party a decent rating...i think a 8.3. But the future games are going to rock.