What's so great about No More Heros?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I got it a few days ago, it seemed really cool at first. But after a few hours it gets really repetitive. And whats with the missions that you fail after you get hit 1 time? and after you get hit you can't do it over!! and it's just the same thing over and over. And not to mention the graphics, I've seen better on PS2.

The fighting and the art style are about the only two good things I see in this game. Does it get better? I'm ranked #7 now and I don't think I even want to turn it back on

SER69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SER69
Member since 2003 • 7096 Posts
Play it until the end and you will then realize how good it is.
Avatar image for nintendo4ever25
nintendo4ever25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 nintendo4ever25
Member since 2008 • 331 Posts

Okay im not even gonna say anything because then ur gonna sart calling me a fanboy but here it goes: Answer to fisrt question: "Wahts so good about No More Heroes." HMMMMMM toughie......it only won fighting/action game of the year on ign, won best action game on wii, has a higher score than halo 3 at gamepro, and so many more, awards,and B) Wii>PS2 in terms of variety, PS2>Wii in terms of replay value, and besides that, a level 26 person like you should know better than to compare a PS2 to A Friggin Wii! Come on!

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

nothing much is great about the game honestly I think it just got the reviews it did because people believed that hardcore games all hinged on that one game. I bought into that argument myself.

Guntrix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Guntrix7
Member since 2007 • 347 Posts

That Heroes is spelled with two E's.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
No, it doesn't get much better. It's pretty much the same thing for the entire game.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
[QUOTE="gregbmil"]

I got it a few days ago, it seemed really cool at first. But after a few hours it gets really repetitive. And whats with the missions that you fail after you get hit 1 time? and after you get hit you can't do it over!! and it's just the same thing over and over. And not to mention the graphics, I've seen better on PS2.

The fighting and the art style are about the only two good things I see in this game. Does it get better? I'm ranked #7 now and I don't think I even want to turn it back on

I agree with you I think No More Heroes was not the best.
stevencompton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 stevencompton
Member since 2003 • 1461 Posts
Well, for me, I loved the style & challenge (played it on the harder difficulty). In a way, the bosses are similar to Shadow of the Colossus in that there is all the build-up and anticipation to see what's next. I really enjoyed the battle system and figuring out their patterns and weaknesses made them rewarding to beat.
lordmasterrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 lordmasterrof
Member since 2005 • 314 Posts

Nintendo4ever25 - that really is not an answer, you just said some crap about a **** game for nobody to help - and even if he is a lvl 25, he is just saying his oppinion - frankly, i'd rather own a Ps2 over a Wii anyday! Cause the games are sucky, graphics are balls - and there are like 0 good action games out there, only good games are the ones created and developed by Nintendo themselves (and they never NEVER lower the price of their games... so you are always stuck with paying a million, in Denmark where i live it costs about 90-100$ for a Nintendo Wii game, that's the official Nintendo games, and not third party developers..) so basically, No More Heroes i thought was very overrated, go get an Xbox or Ps3/ps2 and game some GTA instead, more action, more free roam, and better stories!

acetrouble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#10 acetrouble
Member since 2008 • 422 Posts

Simply put, it's a love-or-hate game, which makes it quite similar to its semi-predecessor Killer 7. There's not much space between thinking that it's either truly amazing or utter rubbish.

srdjan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 srdjan311
Member since 2007 • 1247 Posts

it did get good reviews soo it must do something right

acetrouble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 acetrouble

srdjan311

It's unique in style, presentation and its crude humour. I love it for that. Some of the gameplay design is executed rather poorly, though (backtracking for missions kept bugging me the most).

Stephleref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Stephleref
Member since 2009 • 301 Posts

[QUOTE="srdjan311"]

acetrouble

It's unique in style, presentation and its crude humour. I love it for that. Some of the gameplay design is executed rather poorly, though (backtracking for missions kept bugging me the most).

That's the only 3 thing this game did right,everything else was terrible or wasted potential.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

Simply put, it's a love-or-hate game, which makes it quite similar to its semi-predecessor Killer 7. There's not much space between thinking that it's either truly amazing or utter rubbish.

acetrouble
This.. I just so happen to be one of the people who love it.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#15 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

its a merging of style, humor,and combat. each one complements the other.

the combat system is one of the best this generation, making every wave of enemies a blast to dismember. every kill fills the screen with blood and money, slot machine symbols pop up, and there are occasional awkwardly funny moments built into the combat (like "recharging your weapon"). each level that you go through leads to a unique and often hilarious boss (just wait until you meet the little girl that bats gimps at you).

the menial side jobs offer a humorously pathetic contrast to travis' main job. however, ill admit that the overworld could have used more work. traveling from one location to the next feels like youre going from A to B. a quick travel option or some other distractions would have been preferable.

overall, id say the good far outweighs the bad. the game's 3 strengths remain a fun combination throughout the whole experience.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
[QUOTE="gamefan67"][QUOTE="acetrouble"]

This.. I just so happen to be one of the people who love it.

I'm right in the middle. I rented it and can't decide whether I want to buy it or not, but I def. didn't hate it or think it was "rubbish".
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
meh, when you accidentally get the best ending... i dont really see any reason to play it again. the fact of the matter is, is that the game IS repetetive, and it doesnt really get any better. if thats not your cup of tea, then thats really your prerogative
stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Play it until the end and you will then realize how good it is.SER69
This guy gets it completely the randomness of the game and the bosses are what make thsi game good.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts

gregbmil
well, you could be like me and get ranked #6 before you never play it again. bad game imvho
Noxnoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Noxnoir
Member since 2005 • 72 Posts

And whats with the missions that you fail after you get hit 1 time? and after you get hit you can't do it over!!

gregbmil

The whole point of the Free Fight missions is not to get hit. They respawn after a time and can be attempted over again.

The fighting and the art style are about the only two good things I see in this game.

gregbmil

Ding! That's the game. Quite a few of us love the art style, the dialogue and the ranked fights. Sounds like it's probably not your cup of tea, which is fine, and numerous reviews out there should've made it abundantly clear what you were getting into. ;)

Zelda_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 Zelda_89
Member since 2009 • 410 Posts

I've just started playing it and I'm really enjoying it .. granted the graphics are pretty average but I like the story and it's just plain fun :)

I'm really glad I bought it

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

NMH is one of those games or movies that are very unique and are no meant to be appeal most audiences possible, like a lot of others.SUDA51 is known to be like that, and favors style and direction beyond the raw marketing. In that regard, many will ,and understandably so, find NMH over the top or uncomfortable, mainly because how different it is, and unique.Its very hard to compare NMH with a similar game, like Gods hand,and even there, the differences are large..Many movie directors also are plagued by their styles and hated by many yet praised by the critics. I will go about NMH like this,if you dont like Suda51 works, dont even bother trying. Is like hating Quentin Tarantino movies and going to watch one hoping he will decide to appeal your tastes this time.I didnt buy NMH because of hype , but because i appreciate the style of Sudat51, his storytelling techniques and the over the top action.About repetitiveness, i find every single game of the world repetitive after a while, unless it has online.So yes, all mario games, Metroid, etc, will fall eventually for me into that,yet i wont underrate on them for that.I do appreaciate and enjoy them as they can provide fun.If you are already saying Whats so great about No more heroes, its going into a no end discussion, you will never understand how.If you dont like chocolate, people who love it wont make you like it by telling arguments, is not that way.And trying it over and over wont make you like it either(usually).So if you dont like it, its fine and dont worry about it.You dont have to force yourself to understand why others do.

sourcerah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sourcerah
Member since 2003 • 1214 Posts
i didn't find too much replay value in it which is why i traded t in (plus the fact that i know a sequel is on the way).. but i enjoyed it. I never played Killer7, but after playing this i will give it a try. I like the different bosses and the humor in the story lined. I also enjoyed the fact of having a mature game for the wii. Plus, i got it for like $25 which i considered a pretty good pick-up
MischiefmAker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MischiefmAker
Member since 2004 • 907 Posts

For me, because it was a half-finished game that had the potential to be a great full game, which was fine since it cost half the price of a full game. :D

Most of the appeal comes down to the cut-scenes, boss fights and overall weirdness of it... and the aforementioned price!

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It depends on if you like style over substance. No More Heroes oozes great style, but has almost no good video game content. In my books, that's a fail

acetrouble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 acetrouble

i didn't find too much replay value in it which is why i traded t in (plus the fact that i know a sequel is on the way).. but i enjoyed it. I never played Killer7, but after playing this i will give it a try. I like the different bosses and the humor in the story lined. I also enjoyed the fact of having a mature game for the wii. Plus, i got it for like $25 which i considered a pretty good pick-upsourcerah

I absolutely admire Suda 51's work with Killer 7. It even manages to be a lot more bizzare than NMH. Keep in mind though, that it's fare less-paced in gameplay than NMH. Once you've completed the game (takes about 15 hours), there's not much to look back for, except if you wanna experience the gripping storyline once again (which left me a bit puzzled after the first playthrough).

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

The absurd Bosses the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously the Music, the Story, and the general gameplay not all of it because the Framerate problems and the bland overworld but the rest was great.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
i really liked the art style, it was the only thing about the game i liked. the story was okay but the free roam aspect was bad. the money system very bad. and the levels were too repetitive.
JimmyJames210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JimmyJames210
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

The spectacular boss fights is what makes it worth while.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

JimmyJames210

What's so special about the bosses? their wackiness and personalities are great, but the gameplay is very dull. Basically you dodge for five minutes then hit him about 3 times and repeat. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but that's just annoying.

Madworld, however, does bosses near perfectly for a brawler. You can dodge and hurt your oponent always (this would take a very long time) and when you catch them off gaurd you participate in a series of Wiimote motions to inflict heavy damage.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

the game's cool , ifmore wii games 'd be at least so good ...

JimmyJames210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JimmyJames210
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

[QUOTE="JimmyJames210"]

Pikminmaniac

What's so special about the bosses? their wackiness and personalities are great, but the gameplay is very dull. Basically you dodge for five minutes then hit him about 3 times and repeat. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but that's just annoying.

Madworld, however, does bosses near perfectly for a brawler. You can dodge and hurt your oponent always (this would take a very long time) and when you catch them off gaurd you participate in a series of Wiimote motions to inflict heavy damage.

First problem, you are comparing it to a game with much better bosses.

The bosses in No More Heroes were good, and platinum games made sure to do a better job.

You will see that the bosses start to get better after the 3rd boss, as they get more complex and start using the envirionment around them.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Does it get better? I'm ranked #7 now and I don't think I even want to turn it back ongregbmil
I can't say it gets much better, but it might grow on you a bit. I was pretty bored with it after the first few bosses as well, but I finished out because I knew that if I wanted to give an honest opinion about the game, I needed to have played it all. I liked it more at the end then I did near the beginning, but I still think there was so much wasted potential. Read this blog entry for my overall opinion if you're interested (forget the stuff about game of the year at this point).

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

It's pretty fun and gave me 11 hours of enjoyment first time around.

saturninesmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 saturninesmile
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts

absolutely nothing.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#37 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

brutal and full of blood

BanjoMumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#38 BanjoMumbo
Member since 2009 • 512 Posts

No More Heroes features a free-roaming area like Suda 51's PS2 title "Flower, Sun, and Rain". It's suppossed to be a quirky wii exclusive with lots of crazy violence and arcade like missions. It's definitely a great Wii title, though most of the uncensored american violence is unecessary, just import the Japanese version if you are going for more of a fun approach instead of a violent approach.

Bottom line, you should keep it. It's great due to it's originality.

snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#39 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

Everything about the game is great.

Epic boss fights, varied mission objectives, upgradeable weapons, learning new wrestling moves, going to the gym to build up strengh, stamina, and a longer beam katana combo.

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

TC, I understand. I didn't enjoy the gameplay that much (though it had its moments) but I kept playing because of the little moments in the game. Like when Travis fantasises about being in a game on the train and its an old school top down shooter with bad english, or the phone conversations before boss fights.

MischiefmAker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MischiefmAker
Member since 2004 • 907 Posts

I actually agree with Yahtzee when it comes to this game.