What was so special about the Last Story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

The story which is suppose to be the high point wasn't very impressive; it did have a couple high points and the conclusion was good, but for the most part you're strung along a rather quick sequence of events. The combat was rather boring and easy. There was no need to use the summon signs to summon more enemies to battle because you just breeze through everything, heck you didn't really even need to level up armor really (final boss was a little bit of a challenge due to the 3 forms, but I was underleveled at 56), but the combat was also fairly cumbersome. The frequent cutscenes also hinder the gameplay. Sometimes you'll be watching a cutscene then regain control to walk 5 feet to watch another cutscene... I think the majority of the 17 hours was mostly cutscenes. My girlfriend came into my room once and was watching for awhile and asked when I was going to actually play the game. Framerate was also horrible, and I am not one to usually complain about something like that. Chapters also play out rather quickly some chapters are just a cutscene or two and then you're onto the next chapter which is odd because the game only has 45 chapters.

I'm not really sure how it got a 9.0 here. I'd give it a 7.5 because it does have some interesting moments and a great conclusion, but it's muddled by quite a bit of flaws. I feel that the Operation Rainfall recognition may have skewed the opinions about this game. It got so much recognition and hype that people needed to justify their protests.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I actually made it to the end of the game tonight, but didn't beat it due to the final forms having 3 forms and I had homework to deal with.

A 7 or a 7.5 sounds about right for the game. The comabt was interesting and could be fun, but it was flawed with awkward controls and framerate. The story and characters were alright; mostly standard stuff but I found it enjoyable nonetheless. I would say between the two Operation rainfall games that Xenoblade was better, although I found both games enjoyable in different ways.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

My feelings of the game are tough to explain...

I enjoyed playing the game, but I'll be honest in saying that it wasn't what I'd call an ideal RPG experience. I felt like it did enough well to make it very worthwhile on one hand, while still feeling somewhat lacking on the other. I had planned on doing a review of the game, but I think I actually need to replay it again just to get a better grasp on what it is I'm supposed to say about it. Ultimately, I can't really answer your question, since I'm not really sure how to identify my OWN experience of the game. :lol:

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

It ain't special, who said it was special?..it was too easy. Xenoblade Chronicles was much better...only thing that Last Story had over Xenoblade Chronicles was better looking characters imo. :P

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Minishdriveby

It ain't special, who said it was special?..it was too easy. Xenoblade Chronicles was much better...only thing that Last Story had over Xenoblade Chronicles was better looking characters imo. :P

superbuuman
Most critics say it was amazing.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Pacing, decent sized parties, encounter design, side mission design, some moral greyness, politics, the fact that it isnt a goshdarn single player mmo. It has its flaws but it was far better than Xenoblade.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The only problems I had with the story was that the romance between Zael and Calista fet shallow at times and I think Zael and Dagran's past could have been expanded more than it was. Other than that, I loved it. It did a good job of merging cinematics with gameplay (except actualy leaving room for gameplay) and the battle system and character progression was quite fun. Also the way sidequests are given (you need to explore to find them) made it addicting and fun to travel around the city and explore every possible area you could. I would play the game for hours on end because of this.

Also the story deals with interesting themes, especially the whole "becoming an adult" theme. It's one of the RPGs that tackles "grey area" quite well.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i don't know. i got the game, but GW2 released right after, so i never got past the first couple hours lol. combat seemed interesting and while the story didn't seem like anything special, it had nice, memorable characters with nice, memorable dialogue and interactions.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I only made it half way though the game.  The camera followed too close to your character and it made enemies hard to see.  While boss battles in games typically are memorizing patterns, the boss fights in The Last Story were very simple and took way too long to finish.  The story line was a by the numbers JRPG.  The game also had framerate problems.  You would think the main characters would be able to pull off several different combos, but this was not the case.  The same problems that plagued Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are present within The Last Story.  I do not see why Sakaguchi is still highly regarded as a developer.  All his games under Mistwalker feel like they are over a decade old and do not run that well.  Namco and Atlus seem to be RPG kings this generation. 

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#10 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

Minishdriveby
Most critics say it was amazing.

They were falling at the feet of this game
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I went from thinking it was a decent game to thinking it was a bad game by the end. Everything about the core of the game is good, but it needed way more polish and refinement for it to even come close to its potential.

The best way I can describe most of the problems with it is that it's just a janky game. Pretty much every aspect feels about half done. The battle system can be really fun... but only when it's easy. I always felt like I was either destroying the enemies, which was really satisfying, or getting destroyed by them, which caused some of the worst frustration I've felt from a game in years. There was never really a good, intense battle that felt difficult but winnable.

And some of the boss battles are horrible.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#12 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
I thought it was decent, but not really anything more than that. The combat was fun, for the most part, but I didn't really think there was a great, challenging boss until the last one. Didn't have to grind, so I guess that's a plus. The part where you get to directly control different characters, like magic users, near the end was awesome, no idea in hell why they didn't let you do that more often (or better yet, let you switch at will). The story was average, at best. JRPGs can be annoyingly predictable, and this game's plot twists (if you can even call them that) were among the most obvious I've ever seen, and yet the characters were almost hilariously shocked every time a new development occurred. It got to the point where I began to wonder if Zael was mentally handicapped. The romance between Zael and Calista could've been developed better throughout, though it ended well. The side quests were pretty strong, certainly not MMO crap. Technically, the game was impressive, even with the stuttering frame rate. The competitive online mode was kinda cool, though it's almost impossible to find people. And the co-op, sans voice-chat, could be annoying when you partnered with clueless players. That pretty much sums it up.
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#13 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I wonder if you're really asking for opinions or just wanted to hate the game. If that's so you found quite a collection of bad opinions to add to your own. I liked the game a lot. Control-wise I only feel it should've used IR pointing controls for several tasks during combat. Aside from that there are some performance issues which, IMO, are not a deal breaker. On the positive side, I loved the characters. All of them have a greater and deeper development than in most games. I felt identified and care about some characters. Although few, decisions were important and very important to connect with the story and the characters. The story as a whole was well paced and not stretched by unnecessary arguments, and the plot was well developed with deeper elements than you may think at first sight. Combat was original enough to stand by itself, adding some special moves, mechanics and some interesting bosses. I can see all the negative points some of you see, but they don't demerit the positive ones enough to grant a low grade. About the cinematics, they are, actually, few and, mostly, well spaced. Only when going thru critical moments of the story and so well made they fit perfectly with the actual pace. I honestly believe some of you may be rushing through a game which doesn't is about action, diminishing the narrative strength due a certain lack of interest in the genre, the story, the game or the platform at all. Again, is just a guess. I still can give it a well deserved 9, in my opinion, and I also believe there are strong foundations for more games in that universe or with similar mechanics from this team. Regards.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

it did have a couple high points and the conclusion was good

Minishdriveby

How many modern games have this that you know of?...

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Its a damn good game, much better than Xenoblade in my opinion.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
A decent story, good characters, and good music but it's held back by not having enough time with a lot of the party members and the poor battle system. Doesn't come close to being one of the best JRPGs I've played but I did really like the idea of the battle system in theory.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
best graphics on wii fantastic story gopreous music i love last story i hop sakagushi make sequel on xbox 720 ps4 and wii-u
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 turtlethetaffer

Its a damn good game, much better than Xenoblade in my opinion. Sepewrath

I don't quite understand this opinion. Last Story was awesome but Xenoblade is like God tier of gaming.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JordanElek

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Its a damn good game, much better than Xenoblade in my opinion. turtlethetaffer

I don't quite understand this opinion. Last Story was awesome but Xenoblade is like God tier of gaming.

Well, The Last Story's pacing is much less daunting, and the battle system provides more immediate satisfaction since you level up after basically every battle and gain new abilities at a brisk pace over the course of the game. If that's your play preference, then Xenoblade would be almost unbearable.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Its a damn good game, much better than Xenoblade in my opinion. turtlethetaffer

i can't help but feel that xenoblade is an MMORPG for people that don't know they like MMORPGs. that's honestly what has been keeping me away from it.

not because i don't like MMORPGs, but because i do, a lot, and if i want to play a game that plays like an MMORPG, i'll play a damn MMORPG.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I haven't played Last Story, so I can't speak for it, but Xenoblade is far from God tier. Way too many technical short comings prevents it from reaching that level....
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Its a damn good game, much better than Xenoblade in my opinion. JordanElek

Well, The Last Story's pacing is much less daunting, and the battle system provides more immediate satisfaction since you level up after basically every battle and gain new abilities at a brisk pace over the course of the game. If that's your play preference, then Xenoblade would be almost unbearable.

Basically it's good if you don't want to work for anything/watch cutscenes.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Minishdriveby

Its a damn good game, much better than Xenoblade in my opinion. Sepewrath
But what's good about it to you? Is it the story, where you're rushed down path after path and every corner your turn there is a cutscene? Is it the gameplay that while forgiving - 5 tries to win the battle - and easy - never once had to grind outside of the story battles, and there is no strategt required outside of the final boss - yet still cumbersome which I feel is why they made it so easy. Is it the beautiful graphics that slow framerate down to a craw to where you can literally see still frames in some instances? Or the fact that the game has extremely short chapters where a could be waiting to be picked up by a boat while stranded at sea followed by a 5 minute boss fight.

I liked the game, but it definitely doesn't deserve the critical praise it gets. It got to a point where I would just roll my eyes as another 2 minute cutscene started after 3 minutes of walking down a path. The story took an interesting twist towards the end, and while the characters were fairly neat, the dialogue wasn't exactly good.

The most enjoyable time I had with this game was Chapter 40 and the Chapter on the island with Mirania. 

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JordanElek

there is no strategy required outside of the final bossMinishdriveby
I'm with you except for this. As much as I ended up disliking the game, I did really enjoy the process of learning to strategize in the battle system throughout the game. Sure, you don't HAVE to use much strategy to win most battles, but it's WAY more fun to.

I've heard the same complaint leveled at Xenoblade, by the way. "All you do is stand next to enemies until they're dead." Yeah.... You can get by a lot of battles in Xenoblade by doing that, but it's WAY more fun to actually utilize the whole of the battle system, even when it isn't required. The same is true of Last Story, though I agree that most of the more difficult battles don't require it, while Xenoblade's more difficult battles are basically impossible without it.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DJ-Lafleur

I wouldn't consider either The last Story or Xenoblade amazing games. Both are good, but neither were "god tier" games. I enjoyed both games for different reasons.

I liked the world in Xenoblade alot, and the battle system was actually pretty damn good, Xenoblade's biggest problem was it's leveling system. If enemies were  5 levels above you than they pretty much will obliterate you easily, outside of maybe some very obscureset-up that I don't know about. On the flipside, if they are a few under you you will obliterate them with ease. Very few battles ever felt like legitimately challenging fights. Last Story also had this issue where very few fights felt like a fun challenge, and the game handed you levels as iof they were green mushrooms in a modern Mario game.

I also liked The Last Story's battle system as well, it's just that some awkward controls and framerate issues could interfere with it. I would say that The Last Story had the more "fun" battle system, just solely based on it being more action-y.

Xenoblade I felt went overboard with the content, in that many of the side-quests were practically identical and doing them became a chore. Atleast you could take on many quests at once and get your rewards without actually having to meet the quest-giver (sometimes), while other times you could easily teleport to the person. ON the other hand, The Last Story could have used some more optional chapters I feel; it would have been neat if there were more optional chpaters to expose more detail on Lazulis Island or life in the city/castle. That's where Xenoblade did better than The Last Story, is with its world and exploration.

While I said I liked Xenoblade more in my last post, I do kinda feel if I really feel that way in the end though. I did find battling in the Last Story more engaging, and I also enjoyed its story and characters more in The Last Story's than in Xenoblade's. The only things I really felt I genuinly appreciated more in Xenoblade were more on the presentation sie of things, like the art-style, scale of the world, music, etc. When I really think about it I would probably say I  found The Last Story to be better.

/rambling

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Minishdriveby

I find it a little funny how often Xenoblades and The Last Story are compared just because of the shared localization campaign. The two are radically different, but whenever someone mentions only one the other has to be mentioned it seems.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Yeah I didn't like it either. The linearity kind of turned me off after I played Xenoblade for so damn long.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sepewrath

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Its a damn good game, much better than Xenoblade in my opinion. JordanElek

I also found the variety of gameplay(which was severely lacking in XB) gives TLS a big boost. The character interaction which is important to me is also better presented in TLS.

@Minish

And the complaints that can be leveled against XB, is that once you played one side mission, you played them all. Yeah you had to grind, but grinding is not a sign of a well designed game, in fact it often indicates pacing being off, where you are forced to experience content, that's not necessarily enjoyable, just to move forward. As far as a lack of strategy necessary in TLS, you simply had more options available to you, than XB. A slow pace, does not indicate strategy being implied, its like what people said about Dragon Age Origins. Just because its slow doesn't mean its strategic and XB's strategy begins and ends with with hitting a few moves from specific angles for high damage.

wiicube64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#30 wiicube64
Member since 2007 • 371 Posts
I was always thinking of picking this game up. Can you play it with the classic controller? Or is it only remote and nunchuck?
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

Sepewrath

I also found the variety of gameplay(which was severely lacking in XB) gives TLS a big boost. The character interaction which is important to me is also better presented in TLS.

@Minish

And the complaints that can be leveled against XB, is that once you played one side mission, you played them all. Yeah you had to grind, but grinding is not a sign of a well designed game, in fact it often indicates pacing being off, where you are forced to experience content, that's not necessarily enjoyable, just to move forward. As far as a lack of strategy necessary in TLS, you simply had more options available to you, than XB. A slow pace, does not indicate strategy being implied, its like what people said about Dragon Age Origins. Just because its slow doesn't mean its strategic and XB's strategy begins and ends with with hitting a few moves from specific angles for high damage.

You see the thing is I'm not comparing this game to Xenoblade. I'm basing it off of its own merits; however, I can compare the two if you want. While the combat may have more controllable options in TLS you rarely have to use those options, so what's the point? While the pacing may be off in Xenoblade (something that I don't agree with) it's also off in The Last Story; the fact that there's no challenge required exemplifies that. The thing with Xenoblade is there is more to do, so you spend much more time exploring and battling something you don't do in TLS. Sure you could just do all the story missions one after the other, but what's the fun in that? So although you might not get much done in terms of story for Xenoblade, you end up doing much more/experincing more. What I prefer about Xenoblade is the open and varied environments something that The Last Story severely lacked. You basically saw similar architecture, or were in the same area throughout the entire game, only rarely were you brought somehwere outsie lazilus island.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sepewrath
The game was set on Lazilus Island, so you wouldn't expect that you would spend the bulk of the time there? And even then, there were environmental changes and while avoiding spoilers, many varied locations within the island and other places. Though I will give XB credit where credit is due, the strongest part of the game was the environment design, but keep in mind, it was two very different story experiences.When it comes to difficulty, neither game was really difficult per se, I hit a brick wall in XB agains 3 bosses that required grinding, but again, like I said, that's just a fallacy of the JRPG genre, where they could leave you high and dry and unprepared. That's where TLS had a western vibe to it, they always created a scenario where the player was prepared.
LOSTLEAD8R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

#33 LOSTLEAD8R
Member since 2009 • 473 Posts

I liked the story, the characters, and the combat system. The combat system itself was different enough from other RPGs to make it refreshing, and sure it was easy, but it never felt tedious like most Turn-based RPGs feel like to me. The fact that it was on the wii and support co-op online and such may also make this game a bit special considering the wii never really did that. But really I just like it more than the majority of RPGs out there, I dont quite know what to tell ya. Besides since when has critic hype been a good indicater of a game? especially considering that The Last Story was a special case due to it being one of the last good games on the wii and was only brought here thanks to Operation moonfall, lot of pressure to make the game have a good review, dont you think?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Minishdriveby

I liked the story, the characters, and the combat system. The combat system itself was different enough from other RPGs to make it refreshing, and sure it was easy, but it never felt tedious like most Turn-based RPGs feel like to me. The fact that it was on the wii and support co-op online and such may also make this game a bit special considering the wii never really did that. But really I just like it more than the majority of RPGs out there, I dont quite know what to tell ya. Besides since when has critic hype been a good indicater of a game? especially considering that The Last Story was a special case due to it being one of the last good games on the wii and was only brought here thanks to Operation moonfall,lot of pressure to make the game have a good review, dont you think?

LOSTLEAD8R

Read my Original Post. I already mentioned that I feel the pressure behind the movement skewed opinions. If everyone is saying, 'bring this game to America because it's amazing and we need this game,' it would feel pretty awkward if it turned out all to be lies; therefore, self-justification was needed from critics and proponents of the movement. 'Of course this game is amazing we wanted it!'

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

[QUOTE="LOSTLEAD8R"]

I liked the story, the characters, and the combat system. The combat system itself was different enough from other RPGs to make it refreshing, and sure it was easy, but it never felt tedious like most Turn-based RPGs feel like to me. The fact that it was on the wii and support co-op online and such may also make this game a bit special considering the wii never really did that. But really I just like it more than the majority of RPGs out there, I dont quite know what to tell ya. Besides since when has critic hype been a good indicater of a game? especially considering that The Last Story was a special case due to it being one of the last good games on the wii and was only brought here thanks to Operation moonfall,lot of pressure to make the game have a good review, dont you think?

Minishdriveby

Read my Original Post. I already mentioned that I feel the pressure behind the movement skewed opinions. If everyone is saying, 'bring this game to America because it's amazing and we need this game,' it would feel pretty awkward if it turned out all to be lies; therefore, self-justification was needed from critics and proponents of the movement. 'Of course this game is amazing we wanted it!'

Well its not a bad game, its a good game - critics probably went overboard with praise imo. Last Story is good, BUT Xenoblade Chronicles is the best...hehehe :P

enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 enrique_marrodz

I loved TLS but Xenoble is bigger in every single sense
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 enrique_marrodz
I was always thinking of picking this game up. Can you play it with the classic controller? Or is it only remote and nunchuck?wiicube64
Both allow CC as there are no motion controls nor IR pointer required
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Its a damn good game, much better than Xenoblade in my opinion. enrique_marrodz

I loved TLS but Xenoble is bigger in every single sense

Glad there's someone who agrees with me

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

I felt the game didn't really meet the hype as well.  But it was still a decent game.  I got close to the end, but got bored with it, as it seemed overly easy and the story was not remarkable.  I enjoyed Xenoblade more, and I'm glad an 'X' or 'Xeno' game is coming to the Wii U.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 turtlethetaffer

I felt the game didn't really meet the hype as well. But it was still a decent game. I got close to the end, but got bored with it, as it seemed overly easy and the story was not remarkable. I enjoyed Xenoblade more, and I'm glad an 'X' or 'Xeno' game is coming to the Wii U.

Tri-Enforcer

You complain about the game being too easy, then stop when you near the end? Honestly, one of the flaws of the game but still kind cool nonetheless is that the last boss was tough as balls. Reason I say it's a flaw is that up to that point the game wasn't too tough but then BAM final boss and you suddenly need to throw everything you've got at it.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 turtlethetaffer

I felt the game didn't really meet the hype as well. But it was still a decent game. I got close to the end, but got bored with it, as it seemed overly easy and the story was not remarkable. I enjoyed Xenoblade more, and I'm glad an 'X' or 'Xeno' game is coming to the Wii U.

Tri-Enforcer

The last boss was where the game actually got kinda tough. Still beat it on my first try but it took forever. One of the flaws IMO since up to that point the game wasn't that tough but then BAM final boss coming your way.

Tri-Enforcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tri-Enforcer
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

[QUOTE="Tri-Enforcer"]

turtlethetaffer

The last boss was where the game actually got kinda tough. Still beat it on my first try but it took forever. One of the flaws IMO since up to that point the game wasn't that tough but then BAM final boss coming your way.

I got too bored with it before I linger any further, mainly because the adventure seemed to go by too fast and the story telling wasn't all that.  It's not a bad game, it's just an ok game.  I got the game when it FINALLY came out in NA, but then the fall/holiday games season happened and then the Wii U and it's games happened---it just got lost in the shuffle.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="Tri-Enforcer"]

turtlethetaffer

The same could be said for Xenoblade. 

Well, to be fair, the game turned a complete 180 and got hard before the final boss (thinking of a certain wench inside a heart at the end). ALhough in my experience there were a small handful of bosses or fights that I found kinda hard before TLS's final boss as well, but many times for the wrong reasons. 

"OH HEY, LEt'S ADD A SPELL THAT COVERS AN ENTIRE BATTLEFIELD AND QUICKLY DRAINS THE MAIN PARTY'S HEALTH!"

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="Tri-Enforcer"]

DJ-Lafleur

Well, to be fair, the game turned a complete 180 and got hard before the final boss (thinking of a certain wench inside a heart at the end). ALhough in my experience there were a small handful of bosses or fights that I found kinda hard before TLS's final boss as well, but many times for the wrong reasons. 

"OH HEY, LEt'S ADD A SPELL THAT COVERS AN ENTIRE BATTLEFIELD AND QUICKLY DRAINS THE MAIN PARTY'S HEALTH!"

That boss you just needed to stand in your heal circle. The final boss was a challenge and I really enjoyed it. I died I think 4 times on it, but it was satisfying beating it and figuring out how to actually use the combat system strategically, i.e. calling people into heal circles, using the commands, casting forest for elemental damage etc.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Tri-Enforcer"]

DJ-Lafleur

To me Xeobade's final boss wasn't tough so much as it was tricky. TLS's last boss was tough but Xenoblade just required the right strategy and you were pretty much set. TLS you needed to be constantly moving, always on your toes and adjusting to the situation.

You're probably right though. I still love both games.