What people don't realize about the NX

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

For the sake of argument let's assume that the NX is actually a home console and that by some chance Nintendo actually tries to make it as "powerful" as it could and it comes out in the $400-500 price range

How many people that own the Wii U right now would go out and buy it?

How many people that own either the XB1 or PS4 would go out and buy it?

It surely won't be released next year I can bet on that, so probably 2017 at the latest.

There won't be a new Mario Kart or Smash the first year of the console so more than likely looking at 2018- 2019 for those franchises... and depending on how you feel about my post below there won't be a new Zelda built from the ground up just for the NX until at least a good 2-3 years into its existence

It will certainly take at least a couple years before the real good games how up, unless they decide to pull a Zelda TP type case and release for both systems but then who would spend $400-$500 to buy a system when you have one that can play the game already.

Will it be guaranteed for sure that it will still receive 3rd party games?

In order for NX to even be moderately successful in my opinion it will have to at least be backwards compatible with the Wii U so people can still play Smash, and Mario Kart while they wait for new games but will having BC in NX even increase the price up more? If so that could be another hurdle for Nintendo.

These are all just food for thoughts but it seems like there's a lot factors working against the NX...... What do you guys think?

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

You're right, if Nintendo released a new console now or in the near future, it would be a total flop. People who bought the Wii U aren't going to be willing to drop another couple hundred dollars on another console this soon, and PS4 and X1 owners wouldn't have much reason to adopt.

Nintendo will have to wait until people have gotten tired of current consoles and there is demand for a new console, and they'll have to wait until they have software ready for the new console's release.

If the NX is a console, we won't be seeing it for while. Nintendo dumping the Wii U and trying to immediately move on to a new console would be the worse thing they could do right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I agree with yall both, NX will have to wait. Also i dont think the NX will be powerful, i think it will just be innovating. Nintendo should go by their budget again, they did a good job at predicting technology. I think they arrived to 1080p right on time.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

If NX is a home console, then 2017 would follow the pattern. Which is, show off one year, do a full reveal and release the next. If they release in 2017, I think the platform will do decently. At least better than the Wii U.

@mesome713 said:

I think they arrived to 1080p right on time.

Very few of Nintendo's Wii U releases are 1080p.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@YearoftheSnake5: Yeah, i dont think 1080p is much needed for all Nintendo games. Heck, even a bunch of PS4 and Xbox One games dont really need 1080p. Nintendo is right on time though, even the other companies had to take a major slow down. Its funny to hear them complain about their games costing so much to make nowadays, Nintendo is just way better at balancing their budget, its why they are so rich, Nintendo smart.

You really think people would buy the NX more then the Wii U? Is their a reason you think Nintendo will just magically sell their NX like hotcakes. You do know people will complain NX dont have games also.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#6 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@mesome713 said:

You really think people would buy the NX more then the Wii U? Is their a reason you think Nintendo will just magically sell their NX like hotcakes. You do know people will complain NX dont have games also.

I don't know anything. Running off assumption. This is assuming they have good marketing, have a strong launch lineup, good price point, and have the tech to get 3rd parties back. If Nintendo can't pull that, it'll probably tank.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@YearoftheSnake5: Welp, you can look forward to it tanking then, Nintendo wont compete with Sony and Microsoft, they cant afford to, they will continue to compete with themselves. Nintendo could care less about console sales, Nintendo is worried about software sales. If Nintendo games are not selling, then Nintendo has a problem, doesnt matter if you have 100 million consoles sold when only a couple million are actually buying your games. Nintendo knows this, its why they said Wii U would not cater to casuals like Wii did, casuals dont really buy Nintendo games, they buy casual games.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i think the NX will be the 3DS successor imo....

hell it might be able to play console games and mobile games... a hybrid system.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@mesome713 said:

I think they arrived to 1080p right on time.

No, them not understanding basic home tech is what caused one of the biggest problems with the Wii U.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

The only way NX will be a success is if they found a hardware designer who convinces them to go with x86 and uses modern technology with less of a focus on power consumption and more of a focus on graphical power to attract 3rd party devs.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts
@bunchanumbers said:

The only way NX will be a success is if they found a hardware designer who convinces them to go with x86 and uses modern technology with less of a focus on power consumption and more of a focus on graphical power to attract 3rd party devs.

I don't know if I want that.

I'd prefer for Nintendo consoles is to make them super cheap. Lower the barrier of entry with a minimalist, no-frills console. If Nintendo can manage to sell enough units so that they can thrive on their own exclusives, they will have done it. If it's too expensive and nobody buys it, having amazing graphics will be for naught. But if it's essentially a sleek $179-199 console with a normal controller, then there'd be no excuse not to buy it as a supplementary console.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@demon-returns: I think you're absolutely right, and I agree with pretty much everything you've mentioned. First of all, there's still nothing certain about what "NX" is to even speculate about what exactly it needs to be successful, but that doesn't change the fact that regardless of what it actually materializes into, there are no guarantees in terms of what will allow the concept to either succeed or fail. Right now, Nintendo can't say with confidence who will embrace the concept or what it can do with it to ensure that it will have the best chance possible to work for consumers, retailers, publishers, or developers (and I separate publishers and developers knowing that the two don't have exactly the same interests when it comes to what makes an appealing platform).

The only silver-lining about this is that there isn't a single question being asked right now about Nintendo that the company hasn't answered before in a sufficient fashion. Most people already have the assumption that if Nintendo doesn't do "Things: A, B, and C," NX, whatever it actually is, is doomed to fail; this, however, is no different from what that same audience said about a little project once called "Revolution," which managed to defy all of those expectations and still become widely successful. The best thing Nintendo can do right now is trust that whatever this supposed "innovation" is, it's appealing and forward-thinking enough in concept alone to warrant attention. Otherwise, it's safe to say that Nintendo will be struggling once again to find footing when the idea itself hits the market.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

this is pretty simple on paper (but very difficult to actually pull off).

if the message on what the NX is is clear then they will do well.

if the games surprise and delight and show off the benefits of the nx then it will do well.

if people see value in what the NX offers at the end of the day then it will do well.

timing isnt that crucial really. we do live in a world where a lot of people are willing to replace their phones, tablets, graphics cards and even cars every year. if nintendo released the NX tomorrow and what they showed was amazing then it would still do well.

thats what has killed the wiiu. what is it and why should i care? nintendo dont have a convincing reply for most people. nintendos games dont use the dual screen feature much (and when they do it seems pointless). the best games certainly dont make much use of it. it does have some great games but its not enough on its own. the cost of the console does not, in any way, represent the value most people see from it.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

The WiiU came out 3 years ago. I invested in the system with the purchase of it. Nintendo owes me games in return. So far they havne't delivered. E3 was a kick in the teeth and proves Nintendo plans to drop support sooner then later. At E3 we got Star Fox and a collaboration of mini games. I'm sick of Nintendos arrogance after 30 years of buying they're consoles I'm done. I will not be buying the next one they can go the way of Sega for all I care.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Some people do not realize that Nintendo is going to end up pissing off a lot of people whether it rides out the Wii U with minimal support or drops it like a hot sack and releases something new in late'16 or even 17.

People are pissed now because the support seems lethargic and close to terminating. So whether or not a system comes in the next 18 months or so, either way it will show Nintendo doesn't have much faith in the consumer nor the home console business.

gopre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 gopre
Member since 2003 • 210 Posts

@jdc6305:

Share the same thoughts, but I'm not done w/ Nintendo yet. Yes, the Wii U is appearing to be a bad investment. One quite so bad Nintendo will lose long time supporters. I on the other hand am going down w/ the ship. Have a small hope Nintendo will deliver something to make me happy I purchased a Wii U. And yes, that something is Zelda Wii U. What will keep me on for the next console is an unofficial guarantee of Mario, Metroid and Zelda being on the next system. The NX will determine, in my opinion, if Nintendo stays in the hardware market. If it's a failure, Nintendo will become the next Sega. The next great name to drop out of the console business. Nintendo would become a software company.

fishpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 fishpockets
Member since 2014 • 361 Posts

@jdc6305 said:

The WiiU came out 3 years ago. I invested in the system with the purchase of it. Nintendo owes me games in return. So far they havne't delivered. E3 was a kick in the teeth and proves Nintendo plans to drop support sooner then later. At E3 we got Star Fox and a collaboration of mini games. I'm sick of Nintendos arrogance after 30 years of buying they're consoles I'm done. I will not be buying the next one they can go the way of Sega for all I care.

They owe you? lol

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

They need a new home console fast and it needs to be on par with x1/ps4. They need to make more money on their home consoles and its never going to happen with the U so who cares if it comes out soon it needs to be done. I'm sure it will be compatible with wii U games with all the talk of their new OS and I think the U will still get some kind of support or benefit maybe with this new OS structure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#19 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I would actually prefer that Nintendo just abandoned it and moved on to something better. But that's because I don't own one right now.

Thing is, Nintendo is still asking $300 for a game system that feels, pardon the term, really "behind the times" when compared to the competition. At the same time, I already own Nintendo's handheld and I feel like it does a decent job of giving me my Nintendo fix - and a lot of Nintendo's best games are handheld exclusives, imo.

Yes, you get a game along with most Wii-U systems. And yes, you are paying that price because of the tablet controller.

But for $300, do you think they could at least give me a 500GB harddrive? What's with this 8 and 32 GB crap? On the PS2 I got a 40 GB harddrive - with FFXI - for like $100. And that was in 2004.

And you think Nintendo would try to at least make some revision, make the tablet controller less gaudy-looking, release the Wii-U in some new colors or with a sleeker design. Throw in some premium features to sweeten the deal. Give people a free wii fit-u kit, classic controller and wiimote plus with the thing, since they are the ones who gave us so many damn different input devices for the thing that we'd have to pay for separately otherwise.

Really, it just seems more sensible to announce the NX sometime next year and have it out by X-Mas 2016. By that point, it will have been 4 years since Wii-U came out, and Nintendo can make a quick exit to start over with (hopefully) something a lot more enticing.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

@jdc6305: um wiiu has more exclusive games then ps4 and Xbox one

Where have you been under a rock?

And to everyone says to early its not going to be by the time this thing actually comes out wiiu is already three years in

Which put this as a 2016 reveal late 2017 release like the wii after GameCube

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@fishpockets said:
@jdc6305 said:

They owe you? lol

if he bought the Wii U on the premise of it having quality games, then yes, Nintendo does owe everyone by supporting this console. On the other hand, if the Wii U was purchased for no other reason than to look pretty, no.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@mariokart64fan said:

And to everyone says to early its not going to be by the time this thing actually comes out wiiu is already three years in

Agree, people just want Nintendo to produce god damn 5 games month. Seems they just dont understand Nintendo is ONE company. Its a facking miracle they have produced the quality we have now for Wii U. Would guess people just dont know what they got till its gone.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@mariokart64fan said:

Agree, people just want Nintendo to produce god damn 5 games month. Seems they just dont understand Nintendo is ONE company. Its a facking miracle they have produced the quality we have now for Wii U. Would guess people just dont know what they got till its gone.

Nintendo showed 1 quality title for E3 the rest were a collaboration of mini games or in other words shovelware. Their future line up is pathetic. Either they only have Zelda to work on or their holding back. I'm guessing it's the latter. Game companies have been known to do this when they have a new system in the pipeline. They divert resources to the next platform. When I purchased a WiiU I expected Nintendo was going to support it. So far E3 has proven they're not. I've been a Nintendo fan for 30 years but I'm not going to kiss their ass.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@jdc6305: Come on now mate, not all Nintendo fans like the same stuff, no reason to call some Nintendo fans games shovelware. Nintendo makes games for a wide range of peoples taste. Super Mario Maker, Yoshi Wooly World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Star Fox Zero, etc, you got to be out your facking mind to not think these are great quality games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
@elheber said:
@bunchanumbers said:

I'd prefer for Nintendo consoles is to make them super cheap. Lower the barrier of entry with a minimalist, no-frills console. If Nintendo can manage to sell enough units so that they can thrive on their own exclusives, they will have done it. If it's too expensive and nobody buys it, having amazing graphics will be for naught. But if it's essentially a sleek $179-199 console with a normal controller, then there'd be no excuse not to buy it as a supplementary console.

Ive been thinking about this for some time and i think this is a great ideal. Nintendo needs to make a system that is unique, something that you can only experience with Nintendo. So if Nintendo released a new system like you say for $150-199, and then release a new handheld or build it to where can use the N3DS as your controller/tablet. Also make it backward compatible with Gamepad and WiiMotes etc would be pretty sweet. We are stuck in this tech for what, 5-10 years before TVs and stuff start to surpass 1080p. I mean the general public, i know we got 2k and 4k stuff now, but wont be common for i think 5-10 years. Just sell me a new Nintendo system with the Pro Controller. If Nintendo does release one soon it would be as powerful as PS4 and Xbox One, which would be great, cause i do think even if they wanted to make a new system, they wouldnt be able to go to far, tech is not ready. Nintendo is actually in a nice spot, they just need to make a good choice.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

@osan0: Agreed. Lessons must be learned from the Wii U--one like you said, the concept, what the system has to offer has to be immediately clear on paper. Not be something where you have to play it to really get it. Secondly, it has to be clear that its a completely new platform, so the Wii name has to go. Like you said, people will drops hundreds every year on a new phone with minor updates. If Nintendo can create a system that is sufficiently powered, can host the major 3rd party release, showcasing their own games as well. I believe people with a Wii U first off can be enticed to purchase and people who own a PS4/X1 can also be enticed to pick it up as many people own multiple consoles.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@elheber said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Ive been thinking about this for some time and i think this is a great ideal. Nintendo needs to make a system that is unique, something that you can only experience with Nintendo. So if Nintendo released a new system like you say for $150-199, and then release a new handheld or build it to where can use the N3DS as your controller/tablet. Also make it backward compatible with Gamepad and WiiMotes etc would be pretty sweet. We are stuck in this tech for what, 5-10 years before TVs and stuff start to surpass 1080p. I mean the general public, i know we got 2k and 4k stuff now, but wont be common for i think 5-10 years. Just sell me a new Nintendo system with the Pro Controller. If Nintendo does release one soon it would be as powerful as PS4 and Xbox One, which would be great, cause i do think even if they wanted to make a new system, they wouldnt be able to go to far, tech is not ready. Nintendo is actually in a nice spot, they just need to make a good choice.

The gamepad is what killed them this generation. It sounds good in theory, but it drove up the cost of the hardware so much that it can't be lowered much more than it is. I wouldn't be shocked if a large percentage of their cost of production was spent on the gamepad. And to top it off Wii U can only handle one gamepad. It is just a bad design choice. Nintendo should have known from the start that everyone being able to play together is a big selling point of their consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@bunchanumbers: That was pretty much the point of the Gamepad, to get the family playing together. Mom and Dad play on Master Controller, kids play with them on WiiMotes. But yeah it maybe could have sold better without, but i doubt it. If they didnt do something unique most would just pass it by like they did N64 and GC. They would say why buy Nintendo, its just a copy of the real deal. I remember back in those days, Nintendo was a joke. Sure they were more hardcore, but they were the laughing stock. It wasnt until Wii that people started to take notice. And why did they take notice, because the experience was different. Why dont they take notice now, cause they have moved to the next big fab, thats how casuals are. It is also their downfall, lack of deication, they flip flop to much. Shoot look at all the casual games, most them companies struggle like crazy cause their fans come and go so much.

Nintendo still has time to work some magic, i remember GC use to be a joke, it didnt sell worth crap and barely had much games to buy. The games also didnt sell good, they would only start selling good when Nintendo would drop down prices to $20. GC didnt start selling like hotcakes until it hit that magic $99 price, then that system was all the sudden selling good. It was the hottest Christmas item for 2 years straight at that $99 price tag.

Wii U will not sell as expected, but it will sell more then double of what it is now, anyone says otherwise lacks good foresight into the future. We still have 2-3 more years of Wii U, i predict we get price drop this year, and another next couple years. Price drop to $250, then $200. The market has changed, parents are buying their kids and teens 3DS, that was the hot items for pass few years, now its Wii U turn to be hot Christmas item, i think this year is the year for Wii U to be hot Christmas item. Then 2016 it will also be a hot Christmas item. Then in 2017 we will have a new system and will start all over again just like always.