What new features would you want in a Super Nintendo DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ta11on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ta11on
Member since 2007 • 784 Posts

I know a new DS isn't comming anytime soon, but there will surley be one some day. Oh, and I made up the name Super Nintendo DS because it sounds proper. So, what new features would you like to see in a new DS system? I would like it to have a better friend code sytem, and memory card support for music, movies, and demos. Built in internet would be a plus. The graphics could stay the same so it would support original DS games, but an upgraded mic and a more precise touch screen would be cool. I would want it to look like this pic below, cause that would be awsome, so ya, what are your thoughts?

ds360fn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 ds360fn
Member since 2006 • 1184 Posts

What is that the iDS?

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
My "Wishlist":
  • Higher resolution would be nice.
  • And then perhaps slightly larger screens as well (though not AS large as the ones depicted above... that seems like overkill just a bit)
  • Or, alternatively, a single large touch screen. Eg:
  • A Virtual Console of sorts, but for handhelds like the Gameboy, GBC, GBA, and Game Gear, as well as a portable version of Wiiware (DSware?). Obviously this would require either internal space or an SD slot.
  • Maybe an iphone-esqe "multitouch" screen. (though the drawback is that you'd get a lot of fingerprints on your screen)
  • Either a dedicated button for brightness, or a "HOME" menu that I can access in-game for changing that sort of stuff. (it's rather annoying that I have to restart my DS off every time I want to change the screen brightness)
Nintendoguy325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Nintendoguy325
Member since 2008 • 463 Posts

To TRANSFORM! into the "energizer bunny from hell".

Seriously, better wi-fi and scratch resistant screen.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts
The design on the first pic is nice, screen and everything. Uh better graphics ( wouldn't do anything to orignal ds games, Ds doesn't mess up GBA games. ) Wii like menu. Memory card slot. Camera (oh yeah). There is nothing else I can think of at the moment.
MexRoy10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MexRoy10
Member since 2008 • 191 Posts

thoes thingsare all pretty cool what you all said

hopefully you can turn in your DS Lite and pay like $50 for the new one or pay less

Katafran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Katafran
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

I like the camera idea, but nintendo will never go for that.

Of course, I'd like to see better graphics, larger screens, internal memory support, and a wii-esque menu would be kind of neat.

Tomic2505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tomic2505
Member since 2007 • 564 Posts

The camera idea was awesome. If Nintendo made a handheld system with a camera, bigger screens, improved graphics and better sound, with a built in internet system with features to support videos and music, then Nintendo could be in the same class as the PS3 with its compatability with the internet. This is very risky and an unlikey move for Nintendo since there would be nothing innovative/new about it like the DS's touch screen or the Wii's Wii Remote except the new features that would support the internet. Without anything innovative/new in the system, the new fans of Nintendo might not be hooked enough or ready for a high tech system like this. Besides this, Nintendo has never really stepped foot into the "Online Activity" of gaming as far as Sony has.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
If we must still keep friend codes, limit them to a single system, or user, or something. There's no reason to have to have one friend code for the system and then another for each individual game. The ability to download demos direct from the internet would be a huge plus. A better d-pad, because trying to play FF6a on the DS lite and do sabin's blitzes is impossible for me. :(
DSfanatic5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 DSfanatic5
Member since 2005 • 936 Posts

We could play on names all day; DS Advanced, DS Micro, DS Slim, Super Nintendo DS etc. One thing you have to consider is that Nintendo only releases products that are "Sturdy" and can withstand abuse. I doubt Nintendo would release a system so thin, it could crack with very little effort. Here's my opinion of what the next DS could offer:

1. No GBA Port:

As much as we'd like to believe that backwards compatibility is a "Must-Have" feature, I think Nintendo is ready to move towards the future. I expect a slot for original DS games on the bottom of the system, where the GBA port is now. Newer DS games will feature larger cartdriges (similar to compact flash size), and will have a new slot on the top of the system.

2. Slimmer System with simple, yet sleek aesthetics:

I don't expect the new DS to be as thin as the MacBook Air, but I think it will shave a few milimeters in thickness. By omitting the GBA slot, the cartdridges will not require the thickness of the current DS Lite.

3. Larger Screens with improved resolution, but the same brightness technology:

Nintendo has definately found a sweet spot with the brightness on their LCD screens. First with the Micro, then the updated GBA SP, and then with the DS Lite. Only bigger screens, or higher resolution could make an improvement, so this one is a no-brainer.

In the end, I'm sure Nintendo will include features such as the Microphone, but I also hope that the controls offer something new, and more innovative than the current setup. Only time will tell, but their choices in the past should give us some indication of what to expect.

noirsake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 noirsake
Member since 2005 • 241 Posts
Ability to port Gamecube games onto it!!
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThePlothole

1. No GBA Port:

As much as we'd like to believe that backwards compatibility is a "Must-Have" feature, I think Nintendo is ready to move towards the future. I expect a slot for original DS games on the bottom of the system, where the GBA port is now. Newer DS games will feature larger cartdriges (similar to compact flash size), and will have a new slot on the top of the system.

DSfanatic5
The problem is that by omitting the GBA slot, you're not simply removing GBA support. It also takes away the rumble pack, GH controller, camera and a number of other DS specific accessories. PS. Cards and carts are not the same thing exactly.
JGram33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JGram33
Member since 2003 • 206 Posts
it would def have to have touch screens that didnt scratch just by using the stylus, like the iphone. bigger screens would be nice but not a must.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
-A multi-touch screen, so that you can interact with more than one place on the screen at one time. -Built-in multimedia capabilities similar to those of the PSP. The touch screen would be ideal for multimedia management. -Backwards compatibility with Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy. -Larger screens. -More advanced hardware capabilities. -More use of the microphone. -At least 1GB of built-in storage. -A "HOME" feature similar to that of the PSP. Allow us to manage our files and settings while suspending game play rather than discontinuing it.
Pro-Styler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Pro-Styler
Member since 2008 • 301 Posts
Instead of a D-Pad a joystick would be nice especially for Super Mario 64 DS :)
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ThePlothole
Instead of a D-Pad a joystick would be nice especially for Super Mario 64 DS :)Pro-Styler

If the Gamecube proved one thing, it's that the world is not yet ready to phase out the D-pad. They're still a lot more accurate for many genres including fighters.

Now a seperate joystick might be nice... if they can design one that actually works on a handheld.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
-640x480 or 800x480 dual touchscreens (That is, BOTH screens should have a digitizer in front, not just the bottom one!) -Two analog nubs in addition to all the existing buttons (and a nice D-Pad like on the SNES or Wii CC gamepads) -PSP-class hardware power, if not greater -802.11n Wi-Fi (Okay, that might be stretching it, but I at least want 802.11g and WPA support.) -Bluetooth 2.0 -Opera Mobile 9-class Web browser (in other words, something that puts Safari on the iPhone/iPod touch to shame) -Better battery life than the DS Lite (yeah, like that'll happen with hi-res screens, faster CPUs and GPUs, and whatnot...) -Virtual Console service of its own (dedicated more toward handheld titles, as those are neglected on the Wii's VC) It probably won't happen, but it's nice to dream.
ta11on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ta11on

Taking out the GBA slot would render some games and features usless, but I still think it is worth it. Also, I like the idea of a new menu that resembles the Wii, and if there was a VC, it should include the NES, SNES, GB, GBC, and GBA.

Much more interaction with the Wii would also be cool. Like games where you can play multiplayer between DS and Wii, like Pokemon, but better. Things like WiFi pictochat, where you can use either a Wii or DS over WiFi to not only text and draw, but voice chat with other Wii and DS owners.

Pictochat should also be upgraded, introducig colors, and more drawing tools.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ThePlothole
Player-Better battery life than the DS Lite (yeah, like that'll happen with hi-res screens, faster CPUs and GPUs, and whatnot...)Nameless
With a conventional Li-Ion, not a chance. Though I recently read about a new type of battery in the works that uses "Nanowires". Supposedly the capacity on one of these would be around ten times greater than a current one of the same size.
P47Rotgut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 P47Rotgut
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts

Better Graphics(of course)

Backwards compatability back to gameboy games.

Bigger better screens.

Built in memory

Would use CDs like psp.

NO MOVIES OR CAMERAS OR MP3S. I could do without those things and they would just drive the cost up.(the reason I didn't get the PSP)

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#22 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
The fact that the PSP uses a disc drive is a big reason that its battery life on the stock battery is so horrible. And really at this stage of the game, it's not that hard anymore in order to get a good capacity flash memory or that expensive. Would be even more awesome if the next DS used some SD cards for the job, since Nintendo seems to like them.
lordmasterrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 lordmasterrof
Member since 2005 • 314 Posts

What annoys me is, the PSP obviously lossed to the DS or at least is about to loose the whole DS vs PSP fight... and i would say, that it is not wierd, i mean the DS' games is alot more fun than the PSP's, but the PSP has way more detailed, and prettier graphics for that matter. And it annoys me abit. Cause even though graphics is not all, and i'd rather go for a better gameplay any day, why not improve game graphics? I mean we live in the 21st century, and i do like 3d games much more than 2d games. And we know the DS is capable of using the 3d effect, look at Mario Kart DS, and Super Mario 64 DS version, and so on and so on, point is: Why not maximize the graphics when it is possible, i admit sometimes getting abit annoyed by the money i have payed, for a game that basicly has the same graphics as an internet game... and no i do love some of the 2d games, i'm not saying i dont, i'm just pointing out, that at least the PSP used all of it's power and made great looking games, and the DS game developers just aint always do that, and even though gameplay is always number 1! Graphics really really can change a game, so...

I'd wish they would make a DS with enhanced graphic card/chip (whatever) and maybe some internet connection like iPhone or so :)

wm161406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wm161406
Member since 2008 • 80 Posts
Scratch resistant screens, a better battery, and maybe a brighter screen is always nice, even like a virtual border between the screens or just a really small one for games that use both screens
omishboy4831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 omishboy4831
Member since 2008 • 180 Posts

The next ds should be able to have the full backwards compatibility, downloadable content off the internet (being able to use ds

download stations at home), optional sd cards for the ability to download mp3's, simple games and such,and a pictochat that has

the ability to use some special simple games downloaded to the sd slot and play with other people in the same chat room. More

games should be able to use the single card play, an internet browser for the ds that is faster than the last one and allows

downloads to the sd cards to include flash players and other things like that. Graphics can be a little smoother and the touch

screen more durable (maybe the stylus less harsh?), a filtering system that prevents the use of the action replays during wifi

gaming. The ds lite is as thin as it really needs to be if it is any thinner it will feel and may be extremely fragile.

TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TAKE_IT_BACK
Member since 2008 • 3850 Posts
What i would want is a pictochat revamp. If you could use it like texting for instance. First you type in your friends DS number(like a friend code) then write what you want to say. A few seconds later, your friend picks up his DS after it vibrates and he reads the message. To much like a phone?
ta11on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ta11on

What i would want is a pictochat revamp. If you could use it like texting for instance. First you type in your friends DS number(like a friend code) then write what you want to say. A few seconds later, your friend picks up his DS after it vibrates and he reads the message. To much like a phone?TAKE_IT_BACK

That is a cool idea, but no vibrating. It should be more like e-mail, but DSMail. You would send a message, then when your friend connects to WiFi a screen pops up saying "You have mail!", the person reads it, they reply, and you get your answer or whatever.

You should also have chat rooms on WiFi where you can chat with anyone at any time, using pictochat to draw, text, and voicechat. Nintendo probably wont do this because of "safety" and "protection" stuff, but we can dream.

TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TAKE_IT_BACK

[QUOTE="TAKE_IT_BACK"]What i would want is a pictochat revamp. If you could use it like texting for instance. First you type in your friends DS number(like a friend code) then write what you want to say. A few seconds later, your friend picks up his DS after it vibrates and he reads the message. To much like a phone?ta11on

That is a cool idea, but no vibrating. It should be more like e-mail, but DSMail. You would send a message, then when your friend connects to WiFi a screen pops up saying "You have mail!", the person reads it, they reply, and you get your answer or whatever.

You should also have chat rooms on WiFi where you can chat with anyone at any time, using pictochat to draw, text, and voicechat. Nintendo probably wont do this because of "safety" and "protection" stuff, but we can dream.

*sigh* i'll keep on dreaming...

rky_nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rky_nick
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

My ideas:

GBA slot and DS slot

The new DS games would be a longer DS cart, so they would stick out of the DS slot further than old DS games but use the same slot. GBA slot would stay the same but have an accesory that would fit into the slot, that would hold virtual console type games for your DS.

Virtual Console

Get NES, SNES, Game Boy Color, and other systems games over the Wi-Fi. They would be held on a memory card that fits into the GBA slot.

Dual Touchscreen

The top screen would be a touch screen as well.

Tilt sensors

Either an accesory that fit into the GBA slot that did this, or built in tilt sensors. Would add a bit of variety to the games. Marble rolling, anyone?

Extending Mic

The Microphone would be extendable out of the DS(like a pole coming out) so you wouldn't have to lean over to talk into it.

Circular D-pad

Instead of the normal D-pad, it would be a circular D-pad(see: D-pad over a circle so you can press diagonals and such) It would have a hole in the middle so you could screw in a anolog pole or analog stick.

Button redesign

There would be 5 multi colored buttons, A(big green button), B(small red button to the left of A), Y(small white button under A), X(small black button above A) and C(rectangular yellow button in the corner above B and to the left of X). The R and L would remain the same, but would stick out a bit more.

Brightness control

There would be a backlight control under the volume changer.

GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
A control stick (like the PSP's), a larger screen, backwords compatable, PS2-quality graphics, a new interface similar to the Wii's (channels). I would want it a little bigger than the Lite so that there can be room for improvement for the remodles. VC, but not from that start (it would be a channel added mid-gen).
summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts
[QUOTE="Pro-Styler"]Instead of a D-Pad a joystick would be nice especially for Super Mario 64 DS :)ThePlothole

If the Gamecube proved one thing, it's that the world is not yet ready to phase out the D-pad. They're still a lot more accurate for many genres including fighters.

i agree. buying Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance for the Cube was one of the worst things i've ever done.

TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TAKE_IT_BACK

My ideas:

GBA slot and DS slot

The new DS games would be a longer DS cart, so they would stick out of the DS slot further than old DS games but use the same slot. GBA slot would stay the same but have an accesory that would fit into the slot, that would hold virtual console type games for your DS.

Virtual Console

Get NES, SNES, Game Boy Color, and other systems games over the Wi-Fi. They would be held on a memory card that fits into the GBA slot.

Dual Touchscreen

The top screen would be a touch screen as well.

Tilt sensors

Either an accesory that fit into the GBA slot that did this, or built in tilt sensors. Would add a bit of variety to the games. Marble rolling, anyone?

Extending Mic

The Microphone would be extendable out of the DS(like a pole coming out) so you wouldn't have to lean over to talk into it.

Circular D-pad

Instead of the normal D-pad, it would be a circular D-pad(see: D-pad over a circle so you can press diagonals and such) It would have a hole in the middle so you could screw in a anolog pole or analog stick.

Button redesign

There would be 5 multi colored buttons, A(big green button), B(small red button to the left of A), Y(small white button under A), X(small black button above A) and C(rectangular yellow button in the corner above B and to the left of X). The R and L would remain the same, but would stick out a bit more.

Brightness control

There would be a backlight control under the volume changer.

rky_nick

I like the tilt idea, it would make it a bit more interactive

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#33 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts
Besides all the obvious things like better graphics and such, I think a single friend code would be nice, and a scratch proof screen.
swsirstevealot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 swsirstevealot
Member since 2005 • 289 Posts
just put everything possible on it. lol
Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts
[QUOTE="Pro-Styler"]Instead of a D-Pad a joystick would be nice especially for Super Mario 64 DS :)ThePlothole

Now a seperate joystick might be nice... if they can design one that actually works on a handheld.

If super smash bros melee taught us anything, its that you don't need the d-pad, except to taunt with.

But how would the DS close if it had a analog nub sticking out?

Jangonov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jangonov
Member since 2005 • 148 Posts

wow you all have some great ideas. I wonder if Nintendo people read these?

here are my ideas,

dual multi touch touchscreens

improved graphics (not that Im dissing the ds I just want prettier visuals is all)

sd card support (to swap out files from my wii to my super ds)

scratch resistant screens

bigger screens

built in wifi browser(802.11g)

friend system much like the wii's

home menu

connectivity to wii

internal memory

available demos

virtual handheld console

NO CAMERA, MP3, or other add ons. Itll make the system expensive and clunky

expansion port.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="Pro-Styler"]Instead of a D-Pad a joystick would be nice especially for Super Mario 64 DS :)TalesofRaGnArOk

If super smash bros melee taught us anything, its that you don't need the d-pad, except to taunt with.

But how would the DS close if it had a analog nub sticking out?

Super Smash Bros is more of a brawler than a figher game. Conventional fighters tend to rely much more heavily on button combos that are often easier to pull of with a d-pad than an analog stick.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Well I like the always-on internet that the wii browser utilizes, that would be a nice addition, along with more and better internet support.

No friend codes. I'm sorry Nintendo, but the world is ready for open world internet and this is an old, archaic, and annoying feature.

An obvious update in the graphics department. I'm thinking on par with cube graphics would be quite possible within a few years.

A built in joystick for obvious reasons.

Wider screen, better resolution, blah, blah, blah. Been posted already.

And something ridiculous and awesome. Like the touch-screen, really make something that will change games again. I don't know what, but I'm sure you guys will think of something sweet.