What makes Zelda so awesome? (Poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nakasa5 (1429 posts) -

Like most Nintendo fans, I love Zelda. It may be my favorite series of all time. I was just wondering, what make Zelda so awesome and different from other adventure/RPG type games? Is it the music, story/characters, puzzels/dungeons, items, the setting, or something else? I am just curious what most people think makes Zelda so special.

#2 Posted by webhead921 (684 posts) -

I voted for exploration and setting. I think that the dungeons have really cool puzzles, but what makes the game so much fun is exploring the world and exploring dungeons for items/secrets etc.

#3 Posted by Pyro767 (2305 posts) -
The story and the characters. That's a no brainer. If they made Zoras and Gorons people then it wouldn't be as cool. And then those characters spawn awesome environments and compelling stories around them, so Story and Characters are the things that make it just that good.
#4 Posted by Jackboot343 (2574 posts) -

All of the above. :)

#5 Posted by funsohng (29976 posts) -
zelda's hawt, that's why.
Avatar image for 228623477423185005978085524869
#6 Posted by 228623477423185005978085524869 (604 posts) -

^ This.

#7 Posted by JordanElek (18562 posts) -

I voted for exploration and setting. I think that the dungeons have really cool puzzles, but what makes the game so much fun is exploring the world and exploring dungeons for items/secrets etc.

webhead921

Same. I loved the NES game when I was little because everything was so mysterious to me, and I wanted to find everything.

I was just talking with someone the other day about how every few months, I get a strong urge out of nowhere to play a Zelda game. I used to always indulge but eventually quit because the games are too long. But after reading this post, I think the reason I want to play the games so badly is simply to enter that world again and explore, just to experience that feeling of wonder, I guess. Each game captures that feeling of dropping everything you've known and embarking on a huge adventure, not knowing what's really out there. And it's refreshing to experience that every once in awhile, even if it's just vicariously through a game.

#8 Posted by Zeus-Guy (728 posts) -

Jackboot343
Same here.
#9 Posted by Gohansephiroth (9871 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jackboot343"]

Zeus-Guy

Same here.

likewise

#10 Posted by ZumaJones07 (16457 posts) -
Exploration and setting. And again, The Wind Waker does the best job of this if you ask me. Every time I saw a new island in the distance I got pumped just to see what was in store. Getting the maps, fighting off goons on islands and lookout stations(?), and catching the safe thief among other things really made the game for me. In most Zelda games the stories are meh, puzzles have been the same for ages, music is good (given), and only the very few main characters ever contribute to the plot. The exploration part of it is the best. :)
#11 Posted by firefox59 (4530 posts) -

The adventure part, so I guess it would be the puzzles. But the main part is the ability to go wherever you want and the ability to mess up and figure out what your supposed to do next.

#12 Posted by gamefan67 (10034 posts) -

Jackboot343
I was searching for that option.
#13 Posted by tocool340 (21376 posts) -

All of the above......:)

#14 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4327 posts) -
I love Zelda games. I don't know exactly what it is. But everything about Zelda games is amazing I think. Always good gameplay, adventure, story, and its just a lot of fun. And the awesome soundtrack doesn't hurt either :)
#15 Posted by riou7 (10841 posts) -

All!

#16 Posted by bob_newman (8133 posts) -

I choose other. It doesn't do anything special.

So my answer? Nostalgia.

People grew up with the series. They love hearing the old songs. They love following the same story over and over. They love the characters.

I grew up with Nintendo, but not Zelda. I didn't follow it back in the day. And today, I find it to be too long and boring. It just feels dated compared to newly created action/adventure games.

For example, Okami does everything that Twilight Princess does, but better. They took the basic Zelda experience and made it feel new. That's what the Zelda series has been lacking lately.

Of course, everybody will deny that it's nostalgia...but what can you do?

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
#17 Posted by just_nonplussed (4130 posts) -

I choose other. It doesn't do anything special.

So my answer? Nostalgia.

People grew up with the series. They love hearing the old songs. They love following the same story over and over. They love the characters.

I grew up with Nintendo, but not Zelda. I didn't follow it back in the day. And today, I find it to be too long and boring. It just feels dated compared to newly created action/adventure games.

For example, Okami does everything that Twilight Princess does, but better. They took the basic Zelda experience and made it feel new. That's what the Zelda series has been lacking lately.

bob_newman

yeah, i think zelda is starting to get dated now, just as final fantasy was around the release of FFIX.

back in the mid 80's, i'm sure zelda was a really new concept, but since then nintendo have simply continued to refine the same ideas; honing everything to perfection and evolving on older ideas. some things have become kind of a parody like the 'big boss key' for the monster's lair, and others like the heart pieces seem to just be repeated for tradition/nostalgia's sake (you don't need very many heart containers to beat zelda).

as of 2009, zelda isn't as new or fresh anymore in light of okami, shadow of the colossus, ico etc., and instead seems to be content with just being a zelda game.

i wrote a blog on this not long ago. check it out if you want to know what i think makes zelda, zelda.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
#18 Posted by just_nonplussed (4130 posts) -

i'll add that i think zelda still has some of the best level designs, and puzzles (that's what i voted).

#19 Posted by fluffy_kins (2553 posts) -

I can't see your poll for some reason....

so I'll just say: definitely the surreal, intricate and magic world, first and foremost. And then pretty much everything afterwards

#20 Posted by BigBen11111 (1529 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeus-Guy"][QUOTE="Jackboot343"]

Gohansephiroth

Same here.

likewise

Ditto.

#21 Posted by Head_of_games (10859 posts) -
You've got it all backwards and mixed up! Zelda came before "Awesome" not visa-versa.
#22 Posted by JordanElek (18562 posts) -

Of course, everybody will deny that it's nostalgia...but what can you do?bob_newman
Believe them?

I had fun playing the NES Zelda a few weeks ago. When I was little, I never owned the game and only played it when I visited my cousins. Because of that, I never got very far, but I always loved playing just to explore. So when I played it and beat it recently, the fun I had wasn't based on nostalgia because I hardly remembered anything from it. I spent so much time wandering around that I eventually memorized the whole map, and looking in every nook for the freakin second dungeon was fun in its own right.

You're right that Okami evokes the same kinds of feelings, but that doesn't mean that Zelda must only accomplish the same thing through nostalgia. Exploring Okami's world was more satisfying, but it's not like Zelda's world loses all of its charm because something else does it better.

#23 Posted by KingBowser91 (2638 posts) -

Jackboot343
This
#24 Posted by awssk8er716 (8485 posts) -

Puzzles/Dungeons... I thought that was the reason why everyone liked Zelda.

#25 Posted by DeadEndPanda (2358 posts) -

the fact that zelda dose what every other action advantrue fails to do, which is been awesome while having awesome gameplay.

and everyone who says zelda isnt awesome, must be some sorta communist vampire

#26 Posted by bob_newman (8133 posts) -

[QUOTE="bob_newman"]Of course, everybody will deny that it's nostalgia...but what can you do?JordanElek

Believe them?

I had fun playing the NES Zelda a few weeks ago. When I was little, I never owned the game and only played it when I visited my cousins. Because of that, I never got very far, but I always loved playing just to explore. So when I played it and beat it recently, the fun I had wasn't based on nostalgia because I hardly remembered anything from it. I spent so much time wandering around that I eventually memorized the whole map, and looking in every nook for the freakin second dungeon was fun in its own right.

You're right that Okami evokes the same kinds of feelings, but that doesn't mean that Zelda must only accomplish the same thing through nostalgia. Exploring Okami's world was more satisfying, but it's not like Zelda's world loses all of its charm because something else does it better.

It's still nostalgia. You played it as a kid. You "loved playing just to explore". Today, you may not have known how to get through the game, but you can't tell me that hearing the music, seeing the levels, etc, didn't bring back those memories. That's nostalgia. I only ever played the game maybe once or twice as a kid (me and my friends all wanted to play multiplayer games and Mario), so I'm not at all attached to the series. And after playing the NES game recently, I did not really enjoy it. In fact, here's what I said about it: "To be honest, I didn't really enjoy the game. I thought it was alright, but its age has started to show. Maybe it's because I never really played it much as a kid, and there's little nostalgia there for me, but I found it to be a little tedious and boring. It's a well-made game, especially for its time, but I just couldn't really get into it. Too many things bothered me about the game to fully enjoy the experience."
#27 Posted by auron11022 (286 posts) -

[QUOTE="bob_newman"]Of course, everybody will deny that it's nostalgia...but what can you do?JordanElek

Believe them?

I have to agree with Bob here. "What makes Zelda so awesome?" Other games have done Zelda better than the Zelda games, but they are nearly infinitely less popular. Zelda doesn't lose all its charm because something else does it better, but it does lose some of its awesomeness.

#28 Posted by nakasa5 (1429 posts) -

Thanks for all the input. It is always interesting to hear everyone's points of view. Well I was one fo the view that said music. While all of the answers in the poll are arguably what makes Zelda so special, the music is what sets the mood of wherever you are on the map. I don't think there is any other series with music as diverse and moody as Zelda. Whether it is the original Zelda NES Zelda theme, the Song of Time, or any other, the simple tunes immerse you in the game so well. I rest my case with this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs3yHJO_nT0

#29 Posted by snowman6251 (5321 posts) -
I was pretty torn between exploring/setting and puzzles/dungeons then I thought back to my 6 or 7 year old self playing endless hours in Ocarina of Time simply riding around on my horse through Hyrule field exploring every nook and cranny looking for secrets. I never blew through the game. I always stopped and smelled the roses so to say so that one wins. (also the music is sick but not the main draw).
#30 Posted by JordanElek (18562 posts) -

It's still nostalgia. You played it as a kid. You "loved playing just to explore". Today, you may not have known how to get through the game, but you can't tell me that hearing the music, seeing the levels, etc, didn't bring back those memories. That's nostalgia.bob_newman
So if I played something as a kid and still enjoy it now, it MUST be nostalgia? That would be true if the thing absolutely sucked, like one of my favorite NES games as a kid, Phantom Fighter. Nostalgia shows itself when you go to relive the experience and the effect is short-lived. I played Phantom Fighter a few years ago and realized pretty quickly that it sucks and is no fun whatsoever. But I played Zelda a few weeks ago and found that it was a lot of fun. There's more than nostalgia there. Maybe I just like the game.

I'm just saying that you can't put a blanket statement out there and say everyone who says the old Zelda games are good are just saying that because of nostalgia. Again, just because another game does it better doesn't mean that Zelda isn't still fun.

#31 Posted by raahsnavj (4895 posts) -
I agree with Bob... sort of... I think people play Zelda because it is a Nintendo product that has good production values. The story is also classic, with minor differences between games. The items, dungeons and such all relate to something that I remember for my past gaming experiences... But that isn't why I like it. That is why I don't care for it much anymore. If I want nostalogia I'll play the old games actually. Give me something fresh, give me the same Link on another adventure of Hyrule, then Zelda would be interesting again. Now I'll agree with Jordan, the reason Zelda was awesome was because of the exploration aspect. The games had something to 'find' to explore, to reach for. I want to find every heart container not because I need them, but because I want to see if I can. I want to find the hiden items that aren't required because I can. And because the game doesn't make me feel like I have to choose 'this item or that item'. Every time I play a Zelda game I can find EVERYTHING. I like that feeling. Why do I keep playing the old Zeldas? Because I remember how fun it was to explore it (nostalogia)... why don't I play it today? because despite all the 'exploration' aspects, I've already seen what is under that rock a few times. I might as well just play the old ones. But exploration/setting is why I started why back when.
#32 Posted by Jakesta7 (2472 posts) -

Zelda is my favorite Series of all time, no doubt, its a mixture b/w all of those w a fantastic story, but here r my order:

1. Explorations/ Setting

2. Characters

3. Music

4. Puzzles

#33 Posted by doombringer175 (1499 posts) -

I ignore all topics and put my thoughts in

It is the story that makes the game. Sorry for all else.

#34 Posted by nnfnnfnfnnfnnf (188 posts) -

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

[QUOTE="bob_newman"]Of course, everybody will deny that it's nostalgia...but what can you do?auron11022

Believe them?

I have to agree with Bob here. "What makes Zelda so awesome?" Other games have done Zelda better than the Zelda games, but they are nearly infinitely less popular. Zelda doesn't lose all its charm because something else does it better, but it does lose some of its awesomeness.

I have to disagree. It's not just the nostalgia. There are some games that seemed really great that I enjoyed when I was growing up and now I go back and play them and they're not nearly as good as I remember them being. But I played my first zelda (windwaker) only a few years ago and I've gone back and played some of the older games and I find them to be a lot of fun. I agree that Okami is a fantastic game but the reason that more people play zelda is not the nostalgia factor but the fact that zelda is a long running established franchise, with an excellent track record and name recognition. Okami sort of came out of left field. Everybody has a good idea of what to expect with a zelda game at this point. (Also I think Okami's japanese setting makes it more of a niche game too. Some people would just see that and the artstyle and unfortunatly ignore it.)

More on topic, I think that what makes zelda great is that it does all of those things (music, exploration, etc.) so well every time. It also helps that zelda games have such high production value too.

#35 Posted by ZumaJones07 (16457 posts) -

bob_newman
Not everybody. The first Zelda game I actually played was The Wind Waker and I thought it was awesome. True story as unbelievable as it seems. :o That isn't nostalgia talking. I liked WW so much I went and played the others and I liked them all for the same reasons. Hazzah!! Your blanket missed me. :twisted:
#36 Posted by nichder (61 posts) -

[QUOTE="auron11022"] Believe them?

nnfnnfnfnnfnnf

I have to disagree. It's not just the nostalgia. There are some games that seemed really great that I enjoyed when I was growing up and now I go back and play them and they're not nearly as good as I remember them being. But I played my first zelda (windwaker) only a few years ago and I've gone back and played some of the older games and I find them to be a lot of fun. I agree that Okami is a fantastic game but the reason that more people play zelda is not the nostalgia factor but the fact that zelda is a long running established franchise, with an excellent track record and name recognition. Okami sort of came out of left field. Everybody has a good idea of what to expect with a zelda game at this point. (Also I think Okami's japanese setting makes it more of a niche game too. Some people would just see that and the artstyle and unfortunatly ignore it.)

More on topic, I think that what makes zelda great is that it does all of those things (music, exploration, etc.) so well every time. It also helps that zelda games have such high production value too.

I would have to agree. My first Zelda game was OoT however, but I disliked that game; I sucked at it. I did not get it at all. I got A Link To The Past and really got into that one, but got stuck and stopped playing it for like 3 years. Then I got into Windwaker and got a ways in it, got bored, played it and got to the final dungeon a year or so later and stopped there. lol Zelda has been a love/hate situation for me. It's ridiculous! I love the Zelda games though. So far Minish Cap is the only one I've finished and I have yet to get TP. I tend to play Zelda to the last dungeon and stop :) I just love exploring the world, finding the heart pieces... It's a very rewarding game I find. I went back to OoT and got somewhere a year ago! Then I stopped again at the Light dungeon. I almost never finish a game, unless it's short and going back to a game is kind of rare for me but somehow Zelda always manages it. There seems to be a certain atmosphere... It's not nostalgia! *shakes fist* P.S. It may be nostalgia for some people however lol
#37 Posted by maverick_41 (1195 posts) -

story/characters no doubt

#38 Posted by Shayde_Shadow (213 posts) -

I think that Zelda is like a good fantasy novel. Like something from Tolkien, Raymond E Fiest, David Eddings, or Robert Jorden, Zelda has that kind of timeless appeal. Fantasy novels can span anywhere from 1 to an upward of 12 volumes, and no matter if the series quality dips and dives sometimes, you always find yourself coming back for the journey. Zelda is like a playable fantasy novel, with you as the hero, and that's why people love games like this. It also rips off many different fantasy novel staples (The main hero is chosen by some higher force (or some times is the higher force) to save the world; The big bad guy is tall; menacing and always has black clouds filling the sky and surrounding him, whenever he's about; The hero has to often pass many trials on his quest before he candefeat the dark one; A princess is often involved, and sometimes is the hero's love intrest; ect) Zelda is awsome in every single aspect from my point of view. And I'll always be coming back for more.