what is your favorite Mario 3D Platformer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EvilShark94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EvilShark94
Member since 2007 • 203 Posts

My favorite has to be Super Mario 64, what about you guys.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Of the 3D Mario games Super Mario64.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b8af105f0309
deactivated-5b8af105f0309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#3 deactivated-5b8af105f0309
Member since 2009 • 15801 Posts
Super mario 64 I loved it!
Hynaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Hynaboy
Member since 2006 • 327 Posts

Mario 64 for me was the best but I loved both Galaxy as well as Sunshine! Good times!

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

I actually like all three of them a lot. Yes, even Sunshine, which in my opinion is a very underrated game and gets too much hate by too many people. If I had to choose one though, I'd choose Galaxy because it's just super awesome and amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy.And personally,I thought Super Mario Sunshine was terrible.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts

I actually like all three of them a lot. Yes, even Sunshine, which in my opinion is a very underrated game and gets too much hate by too many people. If I had to choose one though, I'd choose Galaxy because it's just super awesome and amazing.

OniStrat
That gets me as well I don't understand why people hate Sunshine so much, also I feel the idea of Galaxy was inspired by Sunshines "the secrets of" mini levels that have secret shines in them, I can tell by the backgrounds as well.
Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
Mario 64: Great game, nice transition from 2D to 3D. Hurt by really terrible camera controls, and honsestly don't really care for half of the worlds that much, but other than that it was still very good. SMS: Underrated, but still my least favorite main Mario game. I still think it's great, but not the classics that most of his games are. SMG: Love the more classic gameplay, basically being the 3D version of the 2D games instead of the more open world that the other games were. While I like the open world style, this one just felt great to me. There are very few worlds that I don't care for, even the water worlds and deserts which are the ones that I don't usually care for. The level design, the ideas behind the game, and pretty much everything about it is brilliant. I used to think it wasn't as quite good as M64, but it holds up a LOT better after the first play through, and due to it's much better camera, controls, and worlds.
Turbo_Burdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Turbo_Burdo
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts

Super Mario Sunshine - no doubt about it. Intriguing gameplay, different storyline: an awesome game which is extremely underated.

Avatar image for kingofcosmos231
kingofcosmos231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 kingofcosmos231
Member since 2008 • 763 Posts

super mario galaxy is definitely my favorite

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#11 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

The only 3d Mario I've played is Galaxies. So, I guess that wins by default.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

64 was spectacular for it's time, but comparing the two side by side Galaxy is better. Sunshine was just frustrating! Oh, and can we count the DS 64?

kingkui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kingkui
Member since 2008 • 883 Posts

64 was the best platformer of its gen. SMG is the best platformer this gen! I'd have to say SMG, because of how unique it is compared to other platformers.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Super mario galaxy by far, super mario 64's camera is awful now

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Mario 64 was terrible

Awful control and awful camera

What made it worse that Nintendo doesn't know how to make a natural progression. The game is so awkward mostly because you need to explore so much and because of the awful controls and camera the experience becomes a chore.

It's got the novelty of 3D going for it and that's nice and all but it was just too soon

Sunshine wasn't bad, there's a lot of elements wrong in it but it's also got a bunch right.

Galaxy was great. In a lot of ways it brought Mario back to his roots and had a sense of progression that made sense. The controls were nice and besides that "flick" for the attack it was pretty much perfect.

I don't mind flicking the Wiimote for the action but I can see how some could have tired of it.

TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts
As far as 3D platformers go, Galaxy all the way. However when you look at SMB3 for its time, you have: - great graphics for its day (truly timeless, I have never once looked back and said ugh that looks dated!) - amazing soundtrack (which for me is really key in making a game memorable) - improved on an already amazing 2d platforming system - great p-ups and world items (music box, hammer, etc) - plenty of secrets - the end-world boss always threw something different at you. Of course Galaxy has done just as much to advance the genre, but I kind of expected it too with todays technology, SMB3 continues to blow me away when I look at other games that game out on the NES.
Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts
Galaxy was probably the biggest let-down I've ever had playing a game. My vote definitely goes to Super Mario 64.
Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
amazing soundtrack (which for me is really key in making a game memorable)TaMuK711
Just as a side note, SMB3 for me probably had the best soundtrack of all the Mario games... Until SMG came and blew them all away. Not only did it have the best original songs, but also had remixes of most of the best classic songs as well, including my favorite from SMB3.
msuspartan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 msuspartan11
Member since 2009 • 572 Posts
Sunshine was so much better then galaxy. I also think it was a big improvement on Mario 64.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Super Mario Sunshine. FLUDD was the best.
redhotpeppers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 redhotpeppers
Member since 2008 • 166 Posts

Super Mario Sunshine

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#22 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

I'd have to pick Galaxy, mainly because I haven't played Sunshine (yet), and I only played SM64 on the DS, so I don't really have a fair comparison.

(But Galaxy was awesome anyway!)

Cl4yM4t1oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cl4yM4t1oN
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Luigi's Mansion FTW!!!

i guess if i had to choose a mario game it would be 64

snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

Mario 64 was terrible

What made it worse that Nintendo doesn't know how to make a natural progression. The game is so awkward mostly because you need to explore so much and because of the awful controls and camera the experience becomes a chore.

It's got the novelty of 3D going for it and that's nice and all but it was just too soon

Sunshine wasn't bad, there's a lot of elements wrong in it but it's also got a bunch right.

Galaxy was great. In a lot of ways it brought Mario back to his roots and had a sense of progression that made sense. The controls were nice and besides that "flick" for the attack it was pretty much perfect.

I don't mind flicking the Wiimote for the action but I can see how some could have tired of it.

Jaysonguy

I agree with Galaxy, not so much Mario 64 and SunShine.

By todays stadards yes, the control and camera in 64 are kinda bad. But this game was released in 1994, 15 years ago. Not to mention that it was the 1st 3D game I ever played. Playing that game after finishing my last SNES game, it was fantastic.

SunShine was a fun game, but yeah, could have been alot better.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

galaxy!

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 kardine
Member since 2008 • 2863 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Mario 64 was terrible

Lol now you are bagging the game that helped us get into 3d gaming. Have fun!
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Mario 64 was terrible

kardine

Gaming entered 3D before the mid 70's so I'm not exactly sure where you're going with this

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kardine
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="kardine"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Mario 64 was terrible

Gaming entered 3D before the mid 70's so I'm not exactly sure where you're going with this

Yes they may have had something, but no it was nothing like Mario 64. It brought full 3d gaming to real software that was given to the masses. Arguing about Mario 64's significance to gaming is redundant.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Mario 64 was terrible

Jaysonguy

Nah Jason, you just sucked at it. That's all.

You can admit it, it's ok. Nothing wrong with sucking at video games.

[spoiler] :P;):P;) [/spoiler]

justducky731

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 justducky731
Member since 2005 • 43 Posts

While I really enjoyed Galaxy I have to go with 64.

TheSmitto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 TheSmitto
Member since 2008 • 1898 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy all the way.

Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

Galaxy >>>>>>>>> Mario 64 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sunshine

Scientifically proven.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

Scientifically proven.

Master_Hermes
Sunshine wasn't THAT bad! It may not have been on the level of the other two but it was still a blast! Those secret levels where awesome yet horrible, and visa versa.
tequilero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#34 tequilero
Member since 2005 • 9333 Posts

Between Mario 64 and Sunshine;SM64 absolutely.I still don´t play Galaxy.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Scientifically proven.

Master_Hermes
Nah, you're wrong. It's just an opinion. Just like, in my opinion, it goes Mario 64 > Sunshine > Galaxy. They're all very close though. If I were to give them all scores out of 100, they'd get 96, 95, and 94.
Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

64 FOR SURE

I feel that SMS/Galaxy were based around gimicks that made them seem better, but actually really did nothing for the series besides enhancing graphics, and controls slightly making them smoother feeling.

I feel the same way for the Zelda series.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#37 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
SMG>SM64>SMS
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kardine
SMG>SM64>SMSwiifan001
This
Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hungry_Jello
Member since 2008 • 3024 Posts

Super Mario Sunshine. It had such a vast and open world. I also loved the retro levels that you had to do without FLUDD or whatever it was called. Once FLUDD was taken away you slowly realize how different and harder the game was.

Second is Galaxy. The creativity and music were off the scale. Especially the music, it was just too cool.

Darkmagcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Darkmagcite
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
For me, it'd definitely be Galaxy. There is just so much more depth in it for me, and so much variety. :) I love it. It just has bits and pieces from everything with past Mario titles.
sicteliko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sicteliko
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts
I prefer the 2D games. I really liked the 3D games (Super Mario Galaxy would be my favorite out of those), but I still have my SNES and I still play the 2D Mario games every now and then. Nothing can beat those games. Especially Super Mario World 2 is amazing, because it has some of the best level designs in any 2D platformer.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I guess Super Mario 64 in terms of 3d games, but Super Mario Bros. 2 is the best one I've ever played. For real.

Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_Hermes"]

Scientifically proven.

bob_newman

Nah, you're wrong. It's just an opinion. Just like, in my opinion, it goes Mario 64 > Sunshine > Galaxy. They're all very close though. If I were to give them all scores out of 100, they'd get 96, 95, and 94.

I'm pretty sure I read it in a academic journal... of gaming science...

:P

Kidding aside, I like Sunshine too, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Galaxy or as seminal as 64.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#44 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

For best 3D Mario game it has to be Super Mario Galaxy I think it has great levels and cool power ups and gravity and sphercial worlds and an amazing soundtrack but overall Super Mario Bros 3 is my favourite Mario game of all time.