What if Super Mario Maker moves a lot of new consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

I think it's safe to say, Super Mario Maker will be a successful game release. But what if it help push sell another 3-4 million Wii U consoles from release till the end of 2015. Do you think Nintendo would push the "NX" further down the road? I would think we'd see a WII U price drop soon, and with Mario Maker/Star Fox coming out in winter, maybe it will catch on. Seems like a lot of the focus is on NX now, so i wonder how Nintendo will react.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Probably not. After Square-Enix announced they where, then quickly changed it to "thinking of", working on Dragon Quest XI for NX (possibly due to Nintendo not having officially revealed the console yet) probably means the console is most likely ready and dev kits have been sent out and they're just waiting to go into mass production.

Also, given how lackluster Nintendo's E3 showing was for Wii U (all the big stuff coming to it was known last year), it's not much of a stretch to assume that the majority of their major developers has moved onto the NX as well.

So if that's the case, they're going to continue on there current course and probably release the NX next year.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I could see casual gamers buying it for their kids. But if it sold that much it would be one of the biggest miracles Nintendo pulled off. It would need to be something of a cultural hit in order for it to sell like that.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Even if it somehow managed to push a massive number of consoles, I don't think it would affect the NX launch. I really, really doubt it will do much to help the Wii U sell.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

In theory the concept has merit but I believe it is safe to say most people want to play levels rather than making them. Will there be some sort of world map we've grown accustomed to seeing? Will there be some sort of collection in the game compounding multiple levels into one full campaign? Will there be an actual goal besides finishing a level? Whether or not Nintendo can implement this into something fun and sustainable is yet to be seen.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

Its not going to push consoles, its something you buy if you have the console. Its not a mario kart, ssb, or a legend of zelda. It would be a miracle if consoles sales boosted for this game

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@The-Butcher248: If Nintendo sells a lot of Wii U's it might extend their support for the Wii U longer, but I don't know about a delay of the NX. Because Mario is so iconic, Nintendo had to make Super Mario Maker like Disney had to make Disney Infinity. There is a group of gamers in the Disney Infinity community that are making adventures for Disney Infinity 2.0. I think Super Mario Maker will appeal to these creative type gamers. Also, lets not forget that Super Mario Maker uses all of the Amiibo. Lets suffice it to say that Nintendo was not prepared for the popularity of the Amiibo...

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Solaryellow

The Amiibo argument is a Catch 22. The short packed figures sell well because there is such a small supply of them. Looking at the more well known and common figures, they tend to linger like stinky cheese so either Nintendo produced them in a very optimistic way or people prefer the obscure figures over the readily available ones.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

What if Super Mario Maker moves a lot of new consoles?

Wishful thinking.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'd imagine that getting a console to market takes a lot of preparation. So pushing only 3-4 million units won't be enough to convince them to make changes to all their hard work in preparing NX.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Well, despite @ssstangb0y 's post, I don't think SMM will sell a lot of new consoles. If Smash, Kart, and maybe Splatoon didn't make even more people buy the WiiU, I don't see a "non-game" like SMM be the driving force.

With all the classic Mario games on the VC, New Super Mario Bros U., New Super Luigi U, and Mario 3D World already on the console, I can't imagine there are that many Mario fans left that don't have a WiiU already.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@Grieverr: I'm not a Mario Fan, I'm a really big Donkey Kong fan and I don't own a WiiU. I think Mario Maker is going to be simply awesome but not awesome enough to lure in people who haven't purchased a WiiU into getting one. I will eventually get one, it has enough titles to make it interesting ( obviously Nintendo titles, 3 rd party WiiU games are, politely put, light years away from their X / PS counterparts ) when they are on clearance or when I can find a good deal in e-bay ).

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

@raugutcon said:

...I will eventually get one, [when] it has enough titles to make it interesting... ...when they are on clearance or when I can find a good deal in e-bay ).

Right, so SMM is not making you go out and buy a WiiU.

@ssstangb0y said:
I do think there are probably some people out there like me who never paid attention until the recent E3 craze about this MarioMaker game...so, there's that group that'll buy.

I'm sure there are people that haven't paid much attention to SMM, but I can't imagine there are that many people (in amounts that are worth noting, maybe 500k or more) that are unaware of the other offerings on the WiiU and choose this game to be the one that drives them over the edge to buy one.

I'm not saying SMM won't be a popular game. It's just how many new console sales will happen because of it that I question. I've pre-ordered a copy and can't wait - but I already had the system.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@ssstangb0y said:

By the way, I had this 8bitdo controller which looks like the NES controller...seems like it also works with Wii U (awesome!)

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wireless-Classic-Controller-Android-Gamepad/dp/B00MB6CNN8

I thought I had moved on, but the nostalgia is still there. Look at the SNES controller on that page too! Thanks for posting this.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

@ssstangb0y: I think Nintendo reviews submissions, so I don't think you need to worry about garbage levels.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#21 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

I'm sure Nintendo have thought about that from every angle - not saying they'll do what you expect, but I'm sure it's been considered.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I really don't think it's going to sell many systems.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Probably sells as much as Mario Kart 8, that will be great..will boost some sales...but highly doubt it will make Nintendo delay NX launch...as right now they probably don't have any *new* games for Wii U beyond 2016. :P

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 isturbo1984
Member since 2015 • 660 Posts

What if? I don't really care. But I don't know of any game that single-highhandedly moved 3-4 million consoles, lol. Sure, millions of people say they buy the Xbox and PlayStation for Halo and Uncharted and the like... but the truth is console purchases are a complete package. Very, very few people aren't gong to buy a Wii U for Super Mario Maker. Late adopter will be buying one for a bunch of games, not just one. the idea of a game being a system seller is dumb imo. Nobody is going to spend $400-$500 to play a single game, unless there is some sort of mental debilitation going on.

Avatar image for ResourceGamer21
ResourceGamer21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ResourceGamer21
Member since 2013 • 29 Posts

super mario maker is a pretty cool idea. Splatoon already moved ball forward on console sales. Nintendo at this point is just letting time pass to release the NX.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I'm definitely looking forward to Mario Maker, but I don't really see it being a system seller, especially with the end of the Wii U in sight.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Solaryellow

@isturbo1984 said:

What if? I don't really care. But I don't know of any game that single-highhandedly moved 3-4 million consoles, lol. Sure, millions of people say they buy the Xbox and PlayStation for Halo and Uncharted and the like... but the truth is console purchases are a complete package. Very, very few people aren't gong to buy a Wii U for Super Mario Maker. Late adopter will be buying one for a bunch of games, not just one. the idea of a game being a system seller is dumb imo. Nobody is going to spend $400-$500 to play a single game, unless there is some sort of mental debilitation going on.

In the gaming industry quite often people generally find one game that acts as the motivating factor when determining whether or not to opt for a system. That's just how it goes whether or not you believe or approve of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#28 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Even if that game moves some consol in the end Nintendo will kill the WiiU after 5 years just like they always killed their consol after 4 or 5 years and the least year is pretty dead.

MArio Maker is interesting but we already have LBP who offer a level editor and offert more possibilities that this game won't offert but it is ok it is Mario 2d platformer after all.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

If it pushes a lot of consoles... Nintendo will make a sequel for the NX ^^.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

If a full-fledged mario game failed to move consoles, what makes you think a level editor would?

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 isturbo1984

@Solaryellow said:
@isturbo1984 said:

In the gaming industry quite often people generally find one game that acts as the motivating factor when determining whether or not to opt for a system. That's just how it goes whether or not you believe or approve of it.

The straw that breaks the camel's back is just one straw. One straw isnt going to get anyone to buy a system. Period. And that's the way it has always been, whether you believe it or not.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Solaryellow

@isturbo1984 said:
@Solaryellow said:

The straw that breaks the camel's back is just one straw. One straw isnt going to get anyone to buy a system. Period. And that's the way it has always been, whether you believe it or not.

You can attempt to re-write the gaming hobby anyway you see fit but ultimately gamers tend to find that one "straw" making a particular console a must buy. Become better accustomed with the term "killer app." Of course there likely are other games someone would purchase if they had the console but it tends to be one game that gets the ball rolling. Lets revisit this threat in October when the latest Halo releases.

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 isturbo1984

@Solaryellow said:
@isturbo1984 said:
@Solaryellow said:

You can attempt to re-write the gaming hobby anyway you see fit but ultimately gamers tend to find that one "straw" making a particular console a must buy. Become better accustomed with the term "killer app." Of course there likely are other games someone would purchase if they had the console but it tends to be one game that gets the ball rolling. Lets revisit this threat in October when the latest Halo releases.

When I read your post, all I see is "I agree with what you are saying, but I'm going to re-word it as if it isn't true and argue about semantics for no reason."

And you're right. "Killer app" is just that. But just that, nothing more. And I'm sure a lot of people are waiting until Halo releases to get a Xbox. But if there was no Sunset Overdrive, MCC, Ori, State of Decay, Forza, ect by that time, I'm sure they wouldn't. but this conversation isn't that complicated. There is no substance to go round and round. so let's just agree to disagree... or in your case, pretend to disagree. Just stop arguing, man, lol.