What if Nintendo discontinues the Wii U this month?

  • 95 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for mario-galaxys
#1 Edited by mario-galaxys (574 posts) -

This is a question for those who currently own a Wii U as I do.

What if Nintendo unexpectedly discontinues the Wii U due to poor sales this month and also decides that upcoming games like Bayonetta 2 and "X" are cancelled for the system. These games will be released instead on Nintendo's upcoming console (whatever it is called). Would anyone be happy if this happened?

Avatar image for ANIMEguy10034
#2 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4954 posts) -

I highly doubt anyone will be happy. I currently don't own a Wii U, but if I did, I would have been even more pissed if Bayonetta 2, X, and any other upcoming Wii U game were delayed to who knows when.

If they simply port it to a more powerful console without doing any significant changes, then people will rage because they will need to buy another console to play games that were supposed to be released on a console they already bought. If they do vastly improve the games and make use of the new console's hardware, then they will need additional time to develop the games, therefore a complete software drought for Nintendo's console.

If Nintendo unexpectedly discontinues the Wii U due to poor sales, they will be doing MUCH MORE harm than actually trying to support the Wii U. No good will come out of this.

Avatar image for pc-ps360
#3 Posted by pc-ps360 (3462 posts) -

i think wiiu will get discontinued in 2 years. too bad gamers in general did not accept the system. i love the wiiu but as long as they release bayonetta 2, x, smash, mario kart and a next gen metroid and zelda they can discontinued and i wont care.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
#4 Edited by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

impossible, it'll at least last until 2016, at the absolute earliest.

Nintendo needs another powerhouse console with better tools and developer support, and they'll be golden. We'll see how these backwards inward looking execs handle things, though...

Avatar image for nini200
#5 Posted by nini200 (11484 posts) -

I'll finish the games I have on it and wait to see what is next for them and the competition.

Avatar image for Zolakan
#6 Posted by Zolakan (25 posts) -

Well then they'll release Wii U 2, and get U2 to promote it.

Ah, I kid I kid.

Seriously though, it would be a bummer and an unlikely situation for Nintendo to one of their consoles so early in its lifespan, keep in mind that in 2014 there will be plenty more good first party Nintendo games being released (Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros on the Wii U), so they'll probably wait until 2016 at the very least to discontinue the Wii U.

Still, it did sub-par in sales compared to the Wii...

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#7 Edited by KBFloYd (19389 posts) -

@pc-ps360 said:

i think wiiu will get discontinued in 2 years. too bad gamers in general did not accept the system. i love the wiiu but as long as they release bayonetta 2, x, smash, mario kart and a next gen metroid and zelda they can discontinued and i wont care.

this...just give me smash and mario kart...and keep the online going for years and ill be fine.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
#8 Posted by TransformerRobo (549 posts) -

@mario-galaxys said:

This is a question for those who currently own a Wii U as I do.

What if Nintendo unexpectedly discontinues the Wii U due to poor sales this month and also decides that upcoming games like Bayonetta 2 and "X" are cancelled for the system. These games will be released instead on Nintendo's upcoming console (whatever it is called). Would anyone be happy if this happened?

I'd be extremely pissed off.

Avatar image for haziqonfire
#9 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

That'd be the worst business decision ever. To waste that much money on R&D for the Wii U and to invest that much again on a new console and have to wait 2-3 years to release it, then on top of that move the games over to the new platform... such an utter waste.

Avatar image for Jaysonguy
#10 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

@haziqonfire said:

That'd be the worst business decision ever. To waste that much money on R&D for the Wii U and to invest that much again on a new console and have to wait 2-3 years to release it, then on top of that move the games over to the new platform... such an utter waste.

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS and we know the console sales are killing the company. The Vita had a better overall library last year and the PS4/Vita marriage seems like one that will benefit both sides. That's not even bringing up tablets and smartphones getting better and more sophisticated games.

Nintendo is focused entirely on trying to compensate for the Wii U. They can't do anything for their brand overall, they just have to keep on plodding to cover whatever they're losing on the Wii U.

We already know that Nintendo starts it's next console the second the current one is out the door so they've been at it for about a year now.

Someone there is going to have to make the decision about the Wii U and if it's better to cut their losses and start fresh with a new console.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
#11 Edited by TransformerRobo (549 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

That'd be the worst business decision ever. To waste that much money on R&D for the Wii U and to invest that much again on a new console and have to wait 2-3 years to release it, then on top of that move the games over to the new platform... such an utter waste.

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS and we know the console sales are killing the company. The Vita had a better overall library last year and the PS4/Vita marriage seems like one that will benefit both sides. That's not even bringing up tablets and smartphones getting better and more sophisticated games.

Nintendo is focused entirely on trying to compensate for the Wii U. They can't do anything for their brand overall, they just have to keep on plodding to cover whatever they're losing on the Wii U.

We already know that Nintendo starts it's next console the second the current one is out the door so they've been at it for about a year now.

Someone there is going to have to make the decision about the Wii U and if it's better to cut their losses and start fresh with a new console.

But I thought that only worked when the Virtual Boy flopped.

Avatar image for LegatoSkyheart
#12 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29702 posts) -

I wouldn't be too happy, and I would start going around and buy all the WiiU games currently available since they'll be somewhat sought after the console would get canned.

Even the obscure games that no one would buy, they would be the rarest.

Avatar image for Shinobishyguy
#13 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22928 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

That'd be the worst business decision ever. To waste that much money on R&D for the Wii U and to invest that much again on a new console and have to wait 2-3 years to release it, then on top of that move the games over to the new platform... such an utter waste.

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS and we know the console sales are killing the company. The Vita had a better overall library last year

Jason confirmed for living in bizarro world

Avatar image for Jaysonguy
#14 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

That'd be the worst business decision ever. To waste that much money on R&D for the Wii U and to invest that much again on a new console and have to wait 2-3 years to release it, then on top of that move the games over to the new platform... such an utter waste.

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS and we know the console sales are killing the company. The Vita had a better overall library last year

Jason confirmed for living in bizarro world

You'll want to do your research

Vita games scored higher overall than 3DS games, that means that not only was the library better top to bottom but those scores helped get many developers and publishers extra money because of incentives.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
#15 Posted by TransformerRobo (549 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

That'd be the worst business decision ever. To waste that much money on R&D for the Wii U and to invest that much again on a new console and have to wait 2-3 years to release it, then on top of that move the games over to the new platform... such an utter waste.

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS and we know the console sales are killing the company. The Vita had a better overall library last year

Jason confirmed for living in bizarro world

You'll want to do your research

Vita games scored higher overall than 3DS games, that means that not only was the library better top to bottom but those scores helped get many developers and publishers extra money because of incentives.

Yet the 3DS has sold less than 43 million units in 2 years. The Vita has done only 7 million in over a year and a half.

Avatar image for Shinobishyguy
#16 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22928 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

That'd be the worst business decision ever. To waste that much money on R&D for the Wii U and to invest that much again on a new console and have to wait 2-3 years to release it, then on top of that move the games over to the new platform... such an utter waste.

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS and we know the console sales are killing the company. The Vita had a better overall library last year

Jason confirmed for living in bizarro world

You'll want to do your research

Vita games scored higher overall than 3DS games, that means that not only was the library better top to bottom but those scores helped get many developers and publishers extra money because of incentives.

It's hardly better "top to bottom" when it comes to retail exclusives the 3ds cleaned house this year.

And if those "extra incentives" were so important why aren't we seeing devs flocking to the vita in droves?

Avatar image for AmazonTreeBoa
#17 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

If they discontinued the Wii U, there would be no point in them making a new console. Wii U gamers would feel jaded and rightfully so. They would not support Nintendo's next console out of fear of it happening all over again and Nintendo doing them wrong already. No, Nintendo is stuck with their failure of a system for at least a few more years before it would be safe for them to release another console.

Avatar image for AmazonTreeBoa
#18 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

That'd be the worst business decision ever. To waste that much money on R&D for the Wii U and to invest that much again on a new console and have to wait 2-3 years to release it, then on top of that move the games over to the new platform... such an utter waste.

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS

I stopped reading right there. Please share your drugs with me. I want to be as mentally fucked up right now as you clearly are.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
#19 Posted by TransformerRobo (549 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

That'd be the worst business decision ever. To waste that much money on R&D for the Wii U and to invest that much again on a new console and have to wait 2-3 years to release it, then on top of that move the games over to the new platform... such an utter waste.

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS

I stopped reading right there. Please share your drugs with me. I want to be as mentally fucked up right now as you clearly are.

This.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
#20 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (9116 posts) -

@haziqonfire said:

That'd be the worst business decision ever. To waste that much money on R&D for the Wii U and to invest that much again on a new console and have to wait 2-3 years to release it, then on top of that move the games over to the new platform... such an utter waste.

It would also kill consumer confidence in Nintendo. The millions who already bought a Wii U, Nintendo diehards, would get shafted and that's not an audience Nintendo should ever try to alienate. The best thing they can do is ride it out and make it work to the best of their ability. Cancelling the system early would come back to bite them later.

Avatar image for haziqonfire
#21 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS and we know the console sales are killing the company. The Vita had a better overall library last year and the PS4/Vita marriage seems like one that will benefit both sides. That's not even bringing up tablets and smartphones getting better and more sophisticated games.

Nintendo is focused entirely on trying to compensate for the Wii U. They can't do anything for their brand overall, they just have to keep on plodding to cover whatever they're losing on the Wii U.

We already know that Nintendo starts it's next console the second the current one is out the door so they've been at it for about a year now.

Someone there is going to have to make the decision about the Wii U and if it's better to cut their losses and start fresh with a new console.

The 3DS is the one thing keeping them going and giving them financial freedom. I guess if you're comparing it to last generation, it's obviously not going to meet DS sales -- but it's a healthy platform with great numbers. I don't really see how you can see it any other way.

Consumers speak with their wallets, so I don't really see the point of bringing up Vita software scores. That doesn't really matter with this debate. Let's not forget that before the 3DS came out everyone was debating whether or not a dedicated handheld could co-exist in a market where smartphones and tablets thrive, but it's become quite obvious that it can.

I don't really think it's best to start over so soon, though I wouldn't be surprised if they had a shorter life cycle than usual (4 years like the original Xbox I guess).

They'd waste less money now riding out the storm than trying to quickly come up with something for release in 2015/2016.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
#22 Posted by TransformerRobo (549 posts) -

@haziqonfire said:

@Jaysonguy said:

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS and we know the console sales are killing the company. The Vita had a better overall library last year and the PS4/Vita marriage seems like one that will benefit both sides. That's not even bringing up tablets and smartphones getting better and more sophisticated games.

Nintendo is focused entirely on trying to compensate for the Wii U. They can't do anything for their brand overall, they just have to keep on plodding to cover whatever they're losing on the Wii U.

We already know that Nintendo starts it's next console the second the current one is out the door so they've been at it for about a year now.

Someone there is going to have to make the decision about the Wii U and if it's better to cut their losses and start fresh with a new console.

The 3DS is the one thing keeping them going and giving them financial freedom. I guess if you're comparing it to last generation, it's obviously not going to meet DS sales -- but it's a healthy platform with great numbers. I don't really see how you can see it any other way.

Consumers speak with their wallets, so I don't really see the point of bringing up Vita software scores. That doesn't really matter with this debate. Let's not forget that before the 3DS came out everyone was debating whether or not a dedicated handheld could co-exist in a market where smartphones and tablets thrive, but it's become quite obvious that it can.

I don't really think it's best to start over so soon, though I wouldn't be surprised if they had a shorter life cycle than usual (4 years like the original Xbox I guess).

They'd waste less money now riding out the storm than trying to quickly come up with something for release in 2015/2016.

Hear hear!

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#23 Edited by KBFloYd (19389 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

If they discontinued the Wii U, there would be no point in them making a new console. Wii U gamers would feel jaded and rightfully so. They would not support Nintendo's next console out of fear of it happening all over again and Nintendo doing them wrong already. No, Nintendo is stuck with their failure of a system for at least a few more years before it would be safe for them to release another console.

id buy a new console this year if they made it...

im sure all the nintendo die hards would....i see people buying multiple wiiUs...just for the packaging.

Avatar image for good_sk8er7
#24 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4327 posts) -

The Wii U isn't setting any records, but I really don't think things are that bad for them.

I personally would hate it.

Avatar image for superbuuman
#25 Edited by superbuuman (6087 posts) -

No would not be happy & won't be buying their next *whatever they come up to replace Wii U*console..Not forking out another $400+AUD ..that will be mean I'd be spending $800+AUD dollars excluding 3DS already just on Nintendo. Next $$$ I will be spending on is PS4.

Avatar image for calway55
#26 Posted by calway55 (370 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

If they discontinued the Wii U, there would be no point in them making a new console. Wii U gamers would feel jaded and rightfully so. They would not support Nintendo's next console out of fear of it happening all over again and Nintendo doing them wrong already. No, Nintendo is stuck with their failure of a system for at least a few more years before it would be safe for them to release another console.

Thanks for your rational reply. I agree.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
#27 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

Never going to happen in a million years. Nintendo could never make a penny on the Wii U, they wont cancel it and move on to something else, they are waaaaaay to stubborn, even if only Nintendo employees were the only people in the world to buy a Wii U, Nintendo would still focus on it, cause they do their stuff their way they don't give a damn about others and what they have to say (Michael Patcher) Wii U sales have been low, yes, have then been absolute garbage? No. It will be a Gamecube again and that's not a bad thing. No system will ever replicate the Wii sales.

Avatar image for haziqonfire
#28 Edited by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

@KBFloYd: You're alone on this one bub lol. They'd piss off a lot of early adopters.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#29 Posted by KBFloYd (19389 posts) -

@haziqonfire said:

@KBFloYd: You're alone on this one bub lol. They'd piss off a lot of early adopters.

not alone...just in the minority.

money is an issue i bet.

Avatar image for AmazonTreeBoa
#30 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

If they discontinued the Wii U, there would be no point in them making a new console. Wii U gamers would feel jaded and rightfully so. They would not support Nintendo's next console out of fear of it happening all over again and Nintendo doing them wrong already. No, Nintendo is stuck with their failure of a system for at least a few more years before it would be safe for them to release another console.

id buy a new console this year if they made it...

im sure all the nintendo die hards would....i see people buying multiple wiiUs...just for the packaging.

Yes and with just the die-hards, they would be right back in the same boat they are in now with the Wii U. Low sells, which in turn means no third party support. So congrats Nintendo has failed yet again.

Avatar image for Animatronic64
#31 Edited by Animatronic64 (3971 posts) -

Oh, my fucking god. The system isn't doing THAT badly.

You might as well ask "what if the world ends this month?"

Because, honestly, I think there's a higher statistical chance of the world ending than Nintendo discontinuing the Wii U this month.

Avatar image for Bigboi500
#32 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Wii U will not be replaced by Nintendo with a new console until 2016/2017. By then they can have a powerful and cheap system with more power than PS4 easily.

Avatar image for trugs26
#33 Posted by trugs26 (7527 posts) -

I would not be happy.

And I will buy the next console.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
#34 Posted by TransformerRobo (549 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

Wii U will not be replaced by Nintendo with a new console until 2016/2017. By then they can have a powerful and cheap system with more power than PS4 easily.

Yeah, but they'll have to make it even more powerful than that, because afterwards, naturally the PS5 will arrive to give Nintendo trouble.

Avatar image for Jaysonguy
#35 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools said:

It will be a Gamecube again and that's not a bad thing.

You're going to want to research that

The Gamecube almost killed Nintendo. If not for the DS there would be no Nintendo thanks to the Gamecube.

There is NOTHING good about the Gamecube

Avatar image for AmazonTreeBoa
#36 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@Animatronic64 said:

Oh, my fucking god. The system isn't doing THAT badly.

You might as well ask "what if the world ends this month?"

Because, honestly, I think there's a higher statistical chance of the world ending than Nintendo discontinuing the Wii U this month.

Yes the system is doing THAT badly. Stop living in denial.

Avatar image for Jaysonguy
#37 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Animatronic64 said:

Oh, my fucking god. The system isn't doing THAT badly.

You might as well ask "what if the world ends this month?"

Because, honestly, I think there's a higher statistical chance of the world ending than Nintendo discontinuing the Wii U this month.

Yes the system is doing THAT badly. Stop living in denial.

Yes it is.

The fact that you fail to understand basic math makes you unable to partake in this conversation.

The console has set all time industry records for futility.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
#38 Posted by TransformerRobo (549 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Animatronic64 said:

Oh, my fucking god. The system isn't doing THAT badly.

You might as well ask "what if the world ends this month?"

Because, honestly, I think there's a higher statistical chance of the world ending than Nintendo discontinuing the Wii U this month.

Yes the system is doing THAT badly. Stop living in denial.

Yes it is.

The fact that you fail to understand basic math makes you unable to partake in this conversation.

The console has set all time industry records for futility.

Where are these records?

Avatar image for Jaysonguy
#39 Edited by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

@TransformerRobo said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Animatronic64 said:

Oh, my fucking god. The system isn't doing THAT badly.

You might as well ask "what if the world ends this month?"

Because, honestly, I think there's a higher statistical chance of the world ending than Nintendo discontinuing the Wii U this month.

Yes the system is doing THAT badly. Stop living in denial.

Yes it is.

The fact that you fail to understand basic math makes you unable to partake in this conversation.

The console has set all time industry records for futility.

Where are these records?

Longest amount of time with no games.

Think of all the other failed game consoles. The 3DO, the Jaguar, the Pippin, they all had software regularly.

The Wii U on the other hand didn't have games, at all. It's not like it was all shovelware, it was nonexistent.

No one wants to make games for the console, worse yet no one wants to port games either.

Avatar image for osan0
#40 Posted by osan0 (15019 posts) -

its 4 more years of the wiiu.

if they cancel it then they will be relying on just the 3DS for money. thats not enough.

they will also have no console presence in the market for a few years. even if they could get the console ready by the end of this year they would have no games made for it and 3rd parties would also have no lead time (so that article about developing for the wiiu...yea it would be a lot worse for the new console). it takes at least 2 years to make a game.

so there not going to discontinue it. they are going to focus on making a profit on the hardware (if they are not already) and the software, try and limit the damage and just suck it up. at least they can limit the damage while its on the market.

it wouldnt be the first time nintendo has done this and it wont be the last. lets just hope that they deliver something more appealing next time.

Avatar image for AmazonTreeBoa
#41 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Animatronic64 said:

Oh, my fucking god. The system isn't doing THAT badly.

You might as well ask "what if the world ends this month?"

Because, honestly, I think there's a higher statistical chance of the world ending than Nintendo discontinuing the Wii U this month.

Yes the system is doing THAT badly. Stop living in denial.

Yes it is.

The fact that you fail to understand basic math makes you unable to partake in this conversation.

The console has set all time industry records for futility.

This isn't SW, so please, stop being an idiot.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
#42 Posted by TransformerRobo (549 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Animatronic64 said:

Oh, my fucking god. The system isn't doing THAT badly.

You might as well ask "what if the world ends this month?"

Because, honestly, I think there's a higher statistical chance of the world ending than Nintendo discontinuing the Wii U this month.

Yes the system is doing THAT badly. Stop living in denial.

Yes it is.

The fact that you fail to understand basic math makes you unable to partake in this conversation.

The console has set all time industry records for futility.

This isn't SW, so please, stop being an idiot.

SW?

Avatar image for Jaysonguy
#43 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

@osan0 said:

its 4 more years of the wiiu.

if they cancel it then they will be relying on just the 3DS for money. thats not enough.

they will also have no console presence in the market for a few years. even if they could get the console ready by the end of this year they would have no games made for it and 3rd parties would also have no lead time (so that article about developing for the wiiu...yea it would be a lot worse for the new console). it takes at least 2 years to make a game.

so there not going to discontinue it. they are going to focus on making a profit on the hardware (if they are not already) and the software, try and limit the damage and just suck it up. at least they can limit the damage while its on the market.

it wouldnt be the first time nintendo has done this and it wont be the last. lets just hope that they deliver something more appealing next time.

The 3DS is the only thing that's making them money

They'd have even more if the Wii U wasn't around. The 3DS allows Nintendo to operate and cover their losses from the Wii U.

What would they be losing?

Also all the "not enough time" isn't true. First of all it doesn't take 2 years to make a game and if Nintendo matched the horsepower of current gen devs could instantly add it to their list of multiplats. It would have games instantly just like the other consoles did.

Avatar image for osan0
#44 Edited by osan0 (15019 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: yes but we are only into year 1 of the wiiu. over the 5 year life cycle they should still be able to get the overall project back into the black. if they can do it with the GC then they can do it with the wiiu. just get the cost of production down and keep plugging away.

and yes it does take 2 years to make a game (unless we are talking something simple). even with COD, which activision have down to a science and fart out every year, they still have 2 years in the oven.

and if nintendo make a console as strong as the PS4 and X1 and 3rd parties actually stop shooting themselves in the foot they are still going to be in a market that is apathetic to 3rd party games.

what you are suggesting is that nintendo scrap the wiiu, release a new console asap with no first party titles at launch (they wont be ready) and hope that people will buy the new console instead of the PS4, PC or X1 for 3rd party games (assumign 3rd parties are still bothered).

do you really see that working?

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
#45 Posted by TransformerRobo (549 posts) -

@osan0 said:

@Jaysonguy: yes but we are only into year 1 of the wiiu. over the 5 year life cycle they should still be able to get the overall project back into the black. if they can do it with the GC then they can do it with the wiiu. just get the cost of production down and keep plugging away.

and yes it does take 2 years to make a game (unless we are talking something simple). even with COD, which activision have down to a science and fart out every year, they still have 2 years in the oven.

and if nintendo make a console as strong as the PS4 and X1 and 3rd parties actually stop shooting themselves in the foot they are still going to be in a market that is apathetic to 3rd party games.

what you are suggesting is that nintendo scrap the wiiu, release a new console asap with no first party titles at launch (they wont be ready) and hope that people will buy the new console instead of the PS4, PC or X1 for 3rd party games (assumign 3rd parties are still bothered).

do you really see that working?

I see it working-about as well as making Jar Jar Binks the protagonist of the New Star Wars.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
#47 Edited by TransformerRobo (549 posts) -

Although I don't want the Wii U discontinued too soon, I do think this controller concept looks better than the Gamepad:

It looks more comfortable and less clunky.

Avatar image for Glutenbob
#48 Posted by Glutenbob (249 posts) -

if that happened, then I would never buy a Nintendo product ever again.

Luckily Nintendo have more sense than to do that.

Avatar image for V3rciS
#49 Edited by V3rciS (2236 posts) -

I don't think that's a good idea... but if the situation won't change dramatically, I can see them having a shorter life cycle.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
#50 Posted by TransformerRobo (549 posts) -

@V3rciS said:

I don't think that's a good idea... but if the situation won't change dramatically, I can see them having a shorter life cycle.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is less than 6 weeks away, but it will help when it's released.