What external HD's are you guys using?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts

I'm currently doing some research on which one to get for my wii u, but I want to know how everyone else's setup is and if it is working good. Also if you have a external HD running good off one usb port with no external power supply please let me know since the ones with external power supplies are the more expensive ones :/

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i am waiting until nintendo releases an official brand harddrive or something...

i'll wait a year... if they don't announce anything then i guess i'll have to look around.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bangerman15

I did not think of that lol, i can picture them releasing a nintendo branded one. I mean why wouldn't they? All the people who buy wii u's will want to upgrade their storage most likely and if they see a nintendo brand HD that matches their wii u they will get it.. more money for nintendo lol

However, I wanted to go mainly digital because of the deluxe promotion so idk how much longer I can last with my 25 gigs or whatever.. I already have nsmbu downloaded too

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

I am using a Western Digital 250 GB external hard drive. It needed a Y cable in order to work and I was able to format and store Wii U information on it without problems.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Western digital mybook 500gb external power source. Installed trine2 on it, runs great.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

will be using a WD 500gb with an external case with its own power, got a few of those lying around. :P

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

will be using a WD 500gb with an external case with its own power, got a few of those lying around. :P

superbuuman
Mine was too. Bought it like 5 years ago to put movie/ tv shows on before I had cable tv. Haven't used it in years.
CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

i am waiting until nintendo releases an official brand harddrive or something...

i'll wait a year... if they don't announce anything then i guess i'll have to look around.

KBFloYd

eww...official console branded stuff is always WAY overpriced IMO and you can always get the same exact thing for half the price on amazon or newegg

plus i just don't see nintendo putting out an official external drive...they gave you a bunch of USB ports and an SD slot and the ability to use any brand of SD card or external drive so that they don't have to worry about that

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

My parents had an extra 250GB Hitachi drive they weren't using, so they were gracious enough to give it to me. I haven't really used it yet, but it's nice to know I have backup when I need it.

jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts
i'll be getting a 500gb drive. should take quite a while to fill that up. even if i am going mostly digital.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

I have a seagate 250GB drive. I used a y-cable and it works great. Didn't even try it with one cable but using 2 of the 4 usb ports isn't a big deal.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

Tried using a 500gb HDD I had but turns out its broken so no luck for me lol not realling caring about the digital promotion although I will download Trine 2 soon. I will never download a game that I can buy in stores. Physical is the way to go baby.

jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts

Tried using a 500gb HDD I had but turns out its broken so no luck for me lol not realling caring about the digital promotion although I will download Trine 2 soon. I will never download a game that I can buy in stores. Physical is the way to go baby.

Vickman178
yeah, i hate convenience :P
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AlmightyDerek
[QUOTE="Vickman178"]

jeffster85
yeah, i hate convenience :P

I think the whole downloading vs retail is a per game basis. Their are benefits of both and negatives of both. If it's a new game (also full price in retail) and I'm never planning on selling it then download it is way nicer. I love always having Mario on the system and I will probably try to sell Nintendo Land so I can get the download version. However although having Black Ops 2 would be nice to always have on the system I'd rather have retail as I can sell it towards next years version.
willsoonbegone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 willsoonbegone
Member since 2003 • 401 Posts

I will probably wait until I start running out of space on my deluxe, but I plan on getting one of these: http://www.etsy.com/shop/8BitMemory

Hard drives built into old NES/Super NES games. Will look awesome/appropriate when hooked up to my Wii U.

zyphyr2k12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zyphyr2k12
Member since 2012 • 277 Posts

I'd love to have one of those 8bitmemory drives from Etsy. I know they are expensive but it would be so cool to have a LttP cartridge for a hdd. Too bad they are all USB 3.0.....

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I'm probably going to buy a 2tb optimized for USB 2--the fastest, most reliable one I can get........and then be done with it.
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts

i dont have mine plugged in yet but i used this one with my wii when i paid this cook at my old job to do something to the wii, this drive was included.

willsoonbegone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 willsoonbegone
Member since 2003 • 401 Posts

I'd love to have one of those 8bitmemory drives from Etsy. I know they are expensive but it would be so cool to have a LttP cartridge for a hdd. Too bad they are all USB 3.0.....

zyphyr2k12

Does that mean that they won't work with Wii U? I never actually researched this.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AlmightyDerek

[QUOTE="zyphyr2k12"]

willsoonbegone

Does that mean that they won't work with Wii U? I never actually researched this.

3.0 is still supposed to work with the Wii U, it just won't work at 3.0 speeds.
Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bangerman15

zyphyr2k12
USB 3.0 does work with the wii u, but just not at actual 3.0 speeds. Those 8bitmemory hd's look pretty awesome! I've never seen those before, but that price for a tb :/
Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Tropicalshower
Member since 2009 • 10813 Posts

2TB seagate goflex, works perfect. It powers on/off by itself when I turn the wii u on/off. I always go with seagate based on my experience(have it another seagate drive on my dvr), plus it's got a 2 year warranty + 1 year plan(store plan) giving me 3 years of warranty.

Just be sure to get an external drive with it's own power suply.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I'm currently doing some research on which one to get for my wii u, but I want to know how everyone else's setup is and if it is working good. Also if you have a external HD running good off one usb port with no external power supply please let me know since the ones with external power supplies are the more expensive ones :/

Bangerman15
Nintendo recommends External HDD with Power Supply. ---------- EDIT : Satoru Iwata did outline that the best option is a hard drive with its own power source (ie a plug of its own); hard drives with two USB cables, or flash USB drives, come with warnings... Also ...Nintendo does not recommend Flash as the drive's cycling capability can impact gameplay. If it's a portable hard disk drive that is supposed to be powered by the console, you will need to get a Y-cable to use it, but again it's not recommended.
Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I am using a Western Digital 250 GB external hard drive. It needed a Y cable in order to work and I was able to format and store Wii U information on it without problems.

thom_maytees
does wii u format it for you and can you link me to where you bought the y cable and maybe which WD ehdd you have
Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

Nintendo has a listing of "Wii U tested" USB Hard Drives on their website. This weekend I'll be going with the Buffalo 2TB HD-LB2 0TU3-US. Price is $116. Not bad for a 2TB.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

[QUOTE="thom_maytees"]

Celsius765

does wii u format it for you and can you link me to where you bought the y cable and maybe which WD ehdd you have

You have to format the external hard drive to make it work with the Wii U and that is done through the Wii U. As for the the Y cable, you can purchase it from many places such as Amazon.com. The one I purchased was from Newegg.com. This is what a Y cable looks like:

toshiba-usb-y-cable-ba82010-300.gif

As for the Western Digital hard drive I have, it is a My Passport Essential which is a few years old.

mrmoeone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrmoeone
Member since 2006 • 524 Posts

I just got a LaCie 1tb hdd for 50 dollars :D I seen the price and just had to get it

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"][QUOTE="superbuuman"] Mine was too. Bought it like 5 years ago to put movie/ tv shows on before I had cable tv. Haven't used it in years.

yup, same here. I got a 3 TB recently and hooked the 500 GB up to my wii. I think it'll last a while.

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

CDUB316

eww...official console branded stuff is always WAY overpriced IMO and you can always get the same exact thing for half the price on amazon or newegg

plus i just don't see nintendo putting out an official external drive...they gave you a bunch of USB ports and an SD slot and the ability to use any brand of SD card or external drive so that they don't have to worry about that

Nintendo said they don't want to make money selling storage, that's not the business they are in. Hook up whatever low cost, old USB 2 HD you have laying around the house. It doesn't matter if the drive fails you can always download again..
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AlmightyDerek
[QUOTE="teknic1200"][QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"][QUOTE="superbuuman"] yup, same here. I got a 3 TB recently and hooked the 500 GB up to my wii. I think it'll last a while.

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

CDUB316

Nintendo said they don't want to make money selling storage, that's not the business they are in. Hook up whatever low cost, old USB 2 HD you have laying around the house. It doesn't matter if the drive fails you can always download again..

Actually the drive failing can be a big deal. The Wii U groups all of a games files together so if a game is saved to a hard drive the save file will be saved there too. Sure you can redownload the game but you'll lose your games save file.
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"] Actually the drive failing can be a big deal. The Wii U groups all of a games files together so if a game is saved to a hard drive the save file will be saved there too. Sure you can redownload the game but you'll lose your games save file.

well that's a bunch of bollux. I was already annoyed with the lack of data management. granted its annoying that i have to always tell my xbox where to find the save for the game. flash memory tends to last a long time. In an ideal world all of our game saves would be on the flash and games on the HHD... I haven't yet hooked up my wii's drive to a computer to see what the drive looks like, but I will soon. I have some backup tools that should allow me to get a bit for bit copy if the drive will mount.