What do you want in the Wii's successor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

Well so far, other than the HD screen on the controller, and Blue Ray being a possible format for disks, not much has completely surprised me. Like being exceptionally more powerful then the PS3 and Xbox 360 is great, but when has a next generation console be less powerful then the previous generation. THe Wii is the closest console to doing so and it was still quite a bit more powerful then the Xbox Original. The 1080p resolution isn't surprising, considering some sort of HD should've been done this generation, and the XBox 360 and PS3 both support it.

A good rumour was that the Wii will use Blue Ray discs which is what the PS3 currently uses. Blue Ray discs store a lot mroe then normal DVD's, and also are more durable.

Another rumour which is probably the biggest surprise is that the controller will apparently feature a 6 inch, HD touch screen, which sources now confirm to IGN the new Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console, saying it's like a miniature television. How this will be implemented is questionable. Although it seems gimmicky, Nintendo always has a reason for implementing stuff, and are very trustworthy in my opinion. I think it would be cool to have like in game voice calls, like if you were playing a James Bond game and someone calls you it goes onto the screen, and objectives and stuff could be on the screen. This would also be cool for sending messages online, and for games that use any sort of smartphone technology it would be neat. Apparently the controller will be similar to the gamecube controller with dual analogs, but with the 6 inch screen and possible other enhancements. This is a good thing for me because I loved the gamecube controller. Also supposedly, the controller will also feature six-axis motion controls that outperform a Playstation Move motion controller (in terms of fidelity),as well as a built-in sensor bar. The controller sounds cool, but I'm still left wondering how the screen can be implemented for games. Also how much the screen will add to the controller's price.

Another rumour is that Nintendo is trying to recapture the hardcore audience. Not surprising considering that was one of the negative things about the Wii, but still a nice thing to hear. Nintendo has reportadely been talking to Rockstar developer of GTA, Red Dead Redemption and soon to be released L.A Noire.

The rumoured techinical specs are, CPU is custom IBM PowerPC with three cores, GPU should be an ATI from the R700 family, with a shader unit at version 4.1. RAM should be at least 512MB.

Also rumoured is that the new console will feature complete backwards compatability with Wii games, so Wii owners will be happy to know that they can still play all their favorite Wii games.

Now I am very intrigued by the Wii's sucessor. First of all, it boasts a lot of power and the controller sounds unique. The controller's screen will definetely be interesting, but there are definetely possibilities of the controller being put to good use. Also the improved motion of the controller, and combined with the fact that the controller has all the standard dual analogs and such could make it one of the best and of course can also be one of the worst. Of course I trust nintendo with all their consoles and never have been upset with a nintendo console. Some of the things people might like is that Nintendo is trying to recapture the hardcore audience, so we can expect more third party titles, more online play, and more of what the Xbox 360 and PS3 have over the Wii. Also the blue ray discs will make nintendo able to add a lot more content to their games, and possibly add Blue Ray playback.

Now what really is the question is how is Nintendo gonna do all this, and keep the price low? We all know nintendo likes ot make affordable consoles, but with the techonolgy being put into the new console, it might be a bit pricey. I'm hoping Nintendo can keep the Price at atleast $400 or less.

Now what I want to see on the sucessor that hasn't been rumoured or confirmed yet is:

3D gaming, Nintendo says it's unlikely, but with that much power and with 3D being the new thing, it is a necessity almost. We don't need 3D gaming at launch, but definetely somewhere in the life cycle.

Huge online marketplace, with a gigantic virtual console similar to the Wii's but much more robust. I want to be able to download Wii games and gamecube games as well as the ones already on the Wii's virtual console on its sucessor's. Also I would like to keep the SD card expandable memory included so I could transfer files I bought from the Wii marketplace to "Project Cafe's".

Unionized online. Nintendo's online was definetely held back on the Wii, and look to turn things around with the 3DS having to only input one friend code rather then seperate friend codes for each game. On Project Cafe, I want an Xbox Live feel. Nintendo's already got Mii's which can represent avatars. If Nintendo wants the hardcore audience you need unionized online, which also prevents hacker protection. Also I want voice chat to be standard, it was standard on the Original Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3, so Nintendo needs voice chat to become standard for online play, rather then just a few games supporting it. Also I want the online to be free. Although I have no problems paying for my awesome Xbox Live account to get great online services, for nintendo to gain an advantage over Xbox Live you need to make it free, and to gain an advantage over PSN, you need it to be as robust as Xbox Live. Also if the console's gonna be pricey, your gonna need to cut as many excess fee's as you can.

An awesome operating system. The Wii's OS and menu's were nice, easy to navigate, and definetely felt new from previous consoles, but I want nintendo to take it to the next step gamers are gonna want freedom like themes, and customization. With all the power of the new console, it's should get more features. Now what gamers want is freedom, no doubt, and lots of people would probably love the freedom to create their own themes for their console and even share it.

Surprise us. Now the touch screen HD controller probably is one of the bigger surprises nintendo has to offer, but with the consoel itself, I would like to see something that's new, like glasses free 3D on the 3DS and motion control on the Wii. Also of course I want the surprise not to be gimmicky or over the top, and want it to contribute positives to the console.

Now, what would you like to see on Nintendo's new console.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#2 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well by then the prices of the specs ur talkin about will be cheaper lol

thats how their a gen behind but not to much now cause of ms and sonys decision to opt for a ten yr life cycle they wont be done with thier successors for 3 yrs after wii 2s launch and theyll most likely cost the 400 you said lol

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Good online community for free.
They have been thinking and working on that for maybe 20 years now, and I think it's time. It's key to their success with the next console.
If they manage to get a family friendly cool online community (and they are better than their competitors when thinking of creative ways to use social data) then this thing will be a huge success.
What would be a really good idea for them is to implement the coin system from the 3DS into all games like an achievement system, and have them unlock stuff in games.

Sorry if you already mentioned those points but I am no good at reading long texts/books because of an abnormality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

I want some sort of achievements, it's fun to try to get them all

EDIT: A-ha! Instead of 360's achievements and PS3's trophies, Project Cafe could have power stars. Broze, silver, and gold!

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

HD graphics,core games to evolve,and more adult and great third-party support.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
if nintendo still offer kiddie games, I may skip their next gen console...again
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Proper 3rd party support, that is all :)
OmegaAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 OmegaAK47
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts

I want Nintendo new system to have Blue-Ray disks, HD, a normal controller, but still able to use the Wii controller for Wii game.

Although it sound wierd I still want to be able to use, a gamecube controller for some Wii games. (I know thats alot of controllers to use!)

I also want to be able to have a much better online interface. They can keep all "Mii's" but add more features.

Also, there needs to be a killer app for it, like for the Wii. I want a game packed in that will show off the system power.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
all i want is to get the next nintendo system. i dont care what it is...because its nintendo. no matter how much crap they get for what they do, the fact is that they are a great developer and a leader in innovation in the video game world in games and hardware. So i will have my Nintendo Cafe' day 1 no matter the cost.
LankyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LankyKong
Member since 2011 • 2678 Posts

Optional motion controls, more M rated games. No more "Miis"

Avatar image for northcarolina29
northcarolina29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 northcarolina29
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts
hd graphics, better controls, less party games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

No more "Miis"

LankyKong

Xbox 360 has avatars, so why get rid of them? No harm in having avatars

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Optional motion controls, more M rated games. No more "Miis"

LankyKong

Mii's are fantastic little creatures and I love pounding their happy faces in on Wii Boxing! Blasphemy sir!

LankyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LankyKong
Member since 2011 • 2678 Posts

Guess I'm the only one that doesn't care for Miis. :P

I wouldn't mind if they keep them, as long as they're optional.

netsboy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 netsboy09
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

1. Must have HD graphics.

2. Must have an internal Harddrive.

3. Great 3rd party support from EA, Ubisoft, Rockstar games, etc.

4. Great online community and online store.

5. Backward compability with the Wii and the Virtual Console should now include Gamecube games able to be downloaded.

6. Ditch the kiddie image. That means no Miis or other things that could have the system branded as Wii 2. You want hardcore gamers back you can't have this system being associated with the Wii or branded as Wii 2....thus we get the codename: Project Cafe.

7. Think it might be a good idea for them to develop a new IP for launch, something that would appeal to gamers. Something fresh and new.

8. Ability for 3D gaming. Not sure how important it is to have 3D gaming to start but I think eventually you want that capability.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

well by then the prices of the specs ur talkin about will be cheaper lol

thats how their a gen behind but not to much now cause of ms and sonys decision to opt for a ten yr life cycle they wont be done with thier successors for 3 yrs after wii 2s launch and theyll most likely cost the 400 you said lol

mariokart64fan
By 10 year life-cycle they mean they will support it for 10 years. It doesn't mean they won't release successors to them. The PS1 and PS2 also had 10 year life cycles, but were replaced 6 or 7 years into them. Although Nintendo's new system will at least have a year head start on them. Also keep the Miis.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FPS1337

I would still like the Mii's, the xbox have avatars, so why not have Mii's, it represents a player for online and is great for online profiles so why not?

ii20JcM05ii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ii20JcM05ii
Member since 2010 • 394 Posts

I want an achievemnt system that ATLEAST grants you awards for your Mii's, or something that contributes to a "Nintendo World" channel. So basically instead of "trophies" or "Achievemnt points" you'll get Achievement ITEMS.

Grillinnap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Grillinnap
Member since 2010 • 135 Posts

Demos. I'm tired of getting ripped off because I didn't play the demo. And no, don't tell me to rent the game first because that would also be a waste of time and money.

It would be great if multiplatform games don't have separatefeatures for the Wii. I want them to be the same as the 360 and PS3 versions.

Avatar image for northcarolina29
northcarolina29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 northcarolina29
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts
they better use anything but sd cards for the memory unit. sd cards are small, breakable, and dont hold a lot of data.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

I want it to be almost as powerful as my computer, which will be over two years old by the time the Wii 2 comes out. But it won't be...

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AlmightyDerek
they better use anything but sd cards for the memory unit. sd cards are small, breakable, and dont hold a lot of data.northcarolina29
I'll give you small and breakable, but some do hold a lot of data. Current ones can do up to 32GB and they are coming out with new ones soon that will do between 64GB to 2TB of data. That's a pretty good amount of data, and is easily upgradeable for even the most computer illiterate people.
iAmAbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 iAmAbel
Member since 2011 • 860 Posts

Mario

Super smash bros

Monster hunter

???

Profit.

DDRMom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DDRMom
Member since 2008 • 1360 Posts

The first thing that popped into my head was "I want it all." Of course I now have the Queen song stuck in my head. :)

I want what the other consoles have...HD graphics, hard drives, better online (but still free please), no friend codes, demos...basically I want everything that already been mentioned in the thread plus it would be nice for them to throw in some surprises (controller?) LOL

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts

The first thing that popped into my head was "I want it all." Of course I now have the Queen song stuck in my head. :)

I want what the other consoles have...HD graphics, hard drives, better online (but still free please), no friend codes, demos...basically I want everything that already been mentioned in the thread plus it would be nice for them to throw in some surprises (controller?) LOL

DDRMom

I don't mind paying $50 a year for really great online.

DDRMom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DDRMom
Member since 2008 • 1360 Posts

I don't mind paying $50 a year for really great online.riariases

I probably wouldn't mind either but free is always better. :)

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AlmightyDerek

[QUOTE="DDRMom"]

riariases

It's $60 now. If you play online all the time then it's probably worth it. The PS3 and Wii's online isn't that bad though, and I'm okay with losing a few features to get free online. Although I do pay for XBOX live too, I just don't like too.
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

A SSB with decent online that's all

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 riariases

[QUOTE="riariases"]

[QUOTE="DDRMom"]

AlmightyDerek

It's $60 now. If you play online all the time then it's probably worth it. The PS3 and Wii's online isn't that bad though, and I'm okay with losing a few features to get free online. Although I do pay for XBOX live too, I just don't like too.

Well it's $59.99, so I just say $50 to make it sound better. Plus you get an extra free month when you buy a year-long gold subscription. And the PS3 and Wii have good online just until you've tried Xbox Live. The competition can't compare.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 riariases

[QUOTE="riariases"]I don't mind paying $50 a year for really great online.DDRMom

I probably wouldn't mind either but free is always better. :)

Right. Xbox Live functionality is so much better than PSN and online for the Wii but the fact that you have to pay for it sort of evens out the pros and cons.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FPS1337
Think of it this way, would you pay $10 to have sex with a really hot girl or an average (maybe even under average) for free.
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 riariases
Think of it this way, would you pay $10 to have sex with a really hot girl or an average (maybe even under average) for free.FPS1337
That's not the same. A really hot girl wouldn't be there every second I wanted, but XBL is (that sounded pathetic). Plus no matter what, you're gonna be paying more than $10 all the time for a really hot girl. They're THE f***ing best and they know it so they can take advantage of that. It's easier just to screw around with a girl whos hot but not extremelly hot so she doesn't act like king sh**, which means you can get away with a lot more. You can treat her like crap and she won't even know what to do because she doesn't have that level of confidence that the really hot girl has. But if you really want the best, you're gonna pay for it.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AlmightyDerek

[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"][QUOTE="riariases"] I don't mind paying $50 a year for really great online.

riariases

Well it's $59.99, so I just say $50 to make it sound better. Plus you get an extra free month when you buy a year-long gold subscription. And the PS3 and Wii have good online just until you've tried Xbox Live. The competition can't compare.

I do have XBOX live gold, and have had it for years. It is better than PSN and the Wii, no one could argue that. I really only use the basic features on it, all of which I can get on the other systems so it's not really worth the extra money to me at least. I would prefer Nintendo's new service to be free, which I imagine it would be.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"][QUOTE="riariases"] I don't mind paying $50 a year for really great online.

riariases

I have an 360, online is not better than PSN. XBL is no doubt, better than the Wii's online system, but I think it is almost equal with PSN in terms of lag and connectivity. The only thing XBL has over PSN is the party features. If the next Nintendo console has subscriptions for online, I will not buy it.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AlmightyDerek

[QUOTE="riariases"]

[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"] It's $60 now. If you play online all the time then it's probably worth it. The PS3 and Wii's online isn't that bad though, and I'm okay with losing a few features to get free online. Although I do pay for XBOX live too, I just don't like too.SF_KiLLaMaN

I have an 360, online is not better than PSN. XBL is no doubt, better than the Wii's online system, but I think it is almost equal with PSN in terms of lag and connectivity. The only thing XBL has over PSN is the party features. If the next Nintendo console has subscriptions for online, I will not buy it.

I guess this is getting a bit off topic, although the party feature is one the big advantage that live has over PSN, although I rarely use it. Live always seems faster than PSN when downloading things (and has more to download) and usually works a bit better, but not $60 a year better. You're right about lag and such. I usually find people easier on XBOX live, but that could be because more people seem to be online.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 riariases

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]

[QUOTE="riariases"] Well it's $59.99, so I just say $50 to make it sound better. Plus you get an extra free month when you buy a year-long gold subscription. And the PS3 and Wii have good online just until you've tried Xbox Live. The competition can't compare.

AlmightyDerek

I guess this is getting a bit off topic, although the party feature is one the big advantage that live has over PSN, although I rarely use it. Live always seems faster than PSN when downloading things (and has more to download) and usually works a bit better, but not $60 a year better. You're right about lag and such. I usually find people easier on XBOX live, but that could be because more people seem to be online.

Just in general I like XBL more. PS Home is the one thing PSN has over XBL. It's cool that you can walk around a mall and theme park and see other people online walking around. One of the coolest things on the PS3.

truebond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 truebond
Member since 2010 • 39 Posts

system ram 2gb ( I will settle for 1gb ). The counsel should cost no more than $300. No 3d, 3d will deplete the system resources ( frame rate drop, decrease graphics capability, physics slow down, which affects the AI and brings total system cost up ). It should have graphics comparable to mid range PC graphics cards.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 riariases

system ram 2gb ( I will settle for 1gb ). The counsel should cost no more than $300. No 3d, 3d will deplete the system resources ( frame rate drop, decrease graphics capability, physics slow down, which affects the AI and brings total system cost up ). It should have graphics comparable to mid range PC graphics cards.

truebond

It's not hard to include 3D capability. The PS3 and Xbox 360 both have it. And if you want a console with 2GB of ram and a graphics card comparable to mid ranged PC graphics cards, it's gonna be more than $300, especially since theres countless other things going into the system.

keybladegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 keybladegamer
Member since 2011 • 516 Posts
All my requests: I would like a significantly more powerful console. Maybe even a blu-ray player built in. I would like to be able to plug in my ipod and download my songs onto the wii2's hard drive, or to a lesser extent, transfer most of my music to the wii2, so I could listen to it on speakers. Also, I would like them to get rid of the "blocks" system of data management. I don't understand blocks at all. I would like the system to include a 10 gb hard drive. For new features, I have not seen DLC content on the wii. I would like an easy way to download DLC. I would also like a Nintendo acheivement system. I would also like a profile system so that instead of asking my friends for friend codes, I can look up their profile. I would like, like spotpass, there is a way that my wii2 could trade info with other wii2s, and maybe even 3ds's. I would want dual analog sticks, and if theoretically there were a small tablet on the controller, I would want an element of converting some of the game/data to the controller, and carrying around the controller like a portable gaming device. And I would want the price to be 300$ or less, and 60$ a controller. If the wii2 is 350$ or more, I for one would not buy this system.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FPS1337

[QUOTE="riariases"]

[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"] It's $60 now. If you play online all the time then it's probably worth it. The PS3 and Wii's online isn't that bad though, and I'm okay with losing a few features to get free online. Although I do pay for XBOX live too, I just don't like too.SF_KiLLaMaN

Live has much better connectivity I had both. It has more content available, it has much faster downloads, and the updates dont take 30 minutes to download. Also the intereface is better and there's party chat which is a very useful feature.
DPvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DPvirus
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts

i would hope that better graphic for blackops and car games be looked at urgently

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 riariases

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]

[QUOTE="riariases"] Well it's $59.99, so I just say $50 to make it sound better. Plus you get an extra free month when you buy a year-long gold subscription. And the PS3 and Wii have good online just until you've tried Xbox Live. The competition can't compare.

FPS1337

Live has much better connectivity I had both. It has more content available, it has much faster downloads, and the updates dont take 30 minutes to download. Also the intereface is better and there's party chat which is a very useful feature.

It's a common conception between people who actuallyown an Xbox 360 and PS3 that XBL is better than PSN. But PS Home is so sick. It's like what the Sims 3 should have been. An MMORPG where you actually walk around and control your character, not just click where you want them to go.

Gam3r29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 Gam3r29
Member since 2011 • 37 Posts
i want a console that isnt overpriced like the ps3 when it launched.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

In no order: good graphics, good 3rd party support, good exclusives, good online, good controller, good price, good backwards support