What do you think Nintendo could do to improve the Wii in its next version?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeekLord482

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 GeekLord482
Member since 2010 • 145 Posts

Personally I think there are three things they could add: 1080p HD support and a HDMI output, DVD support (Blu-Ray, Maybe?),and a5GB Flash Drive instead if the 512MB one they have now (More Space so you dont run out for the Virtual Console andWiiware games). What does everyone else think?

ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts

Nintendo probably wouldn't move to the DVD or Blu-ray format, since they seem to like making their own type of disks to store the games. I reckon a better online system as well, having to write down several friend-codes for different games is a pain.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#3 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

i dont care for DVD playback

Full HD support and a decent sized HDD is practically mandatory for their next console

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
They should make it close enough in specs to the other next gen counsels where we will be able to get all the mulitplats.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Theres never going to be a second version of the wii. There will be an outstanding next gen console sometime though

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
HD would do it for me although some type of hard drive would not hurt at all. It doesn't have to be 120gb to make me happy just some more space so DLC would be more widely used.
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
I think we would be good with 32 gigs to at least keep it cheap
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Upgrade audio
Upgrade video
Upgrade controls
Upgrade storage
Upgrade horsepower

Yeah, they have to do everything in the next console. There's not one part of the Wii they can keep the same

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

Upgrade audio
Upgrade video
Upgrade controls
Upgrade storage
Upgrade horsepower

Yeah, they have to do everything in the next console. There's not one part of the Wii they can keep the same

Jaysonguy

because that's how every new generation should be, right? anyway, you can expect the obvious (better graphics/audio, HD support, more storage space, etc.) and you can expect something unexpected (got it?), since that's what they've been saying for a while. " 'just' a technical upgrade isn't enough, we want something new, different".

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
well clearly theres alot of room for improvement with the wiimote and nunchuck. they were a great start for motion controls but tech has obhiously moved on since. so id expect the next wii to have motion controls that would put WM+ and move to shame. id also like to see a few more well placed buttons and possibly scroll wheel. as for other things. an SSD would be too expensive....but a 120GB HDD would be possibly overkill. keep it at 7200RPM though for solid performance (7200RPM drives are also very quiet now). obhiously there alot to improve on with performance...but i think going for 1080P would be overkill. 720P would eb fine but make sure the hardware is up to the job of making it easy for devs to maintain a 30FPS 720P performance level (and make it mandetory). if blu-ray drive performance is up to the job then go for it...but its going to need to be alot better than 2X (whats the fastest drives out now?). if a suitable drive doesnt exist then perhaps a custom route would be more suitable. A HDMI would be the most convenient socket to use..so go with that. better online would also be welcome and wii2 demos would be great. Full BC with the VC and wiiware and wii are also a must. if more platforms like the dreamcast can also be added to the VC then all the better. as for extra features....keep it to a minimum. assuming there is a blu-ray drive...make movie playback optional.
nintenjoe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nintenjoe3
Member since 2010 • 385 Posts

DVD/Blue ray; Music to play while you play games; An easier friend system (numbers are so hard); Updates about your friends (what they are playing, who they have friended, etc...) that can be accessible from the Home menu.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Upgrade audio
Upgrade video
Upgrade controls
Upgrade storage
Upgrade horsepower

BrunoBRS

because that's how every new generation should be, right? anyway, you can expect the obvious (better graphics/audio, HD support, more storage space, etc.) and you can expect something unexpected (got it?), since that's what they've been saying for a while. " 'just' a technical upgrade isn't enough, we want something new, different".

Yeah I get you but Nintendo could have upgraded the sound from last gen and they didn't and it came back to really hurt all the games on the console.

I'd like to see improvements across the board this time

Get the basics down before anything else

fugwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fugwit
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts
- some type of multi tasking ability so you could channel access and usage while also playing a game for example being able to access and use the wii too speak channel independent on whether the game supports that device - built in wiispeak/cam instant communication with other players plus and new dimentions to gameplay
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Sheesh... all I'm seeing with this thread is the same ol' "more power/features plz" that every gen seems to be defined by. How boring. You'd think that with a follow-up of a system that has changed the way new consoles can be built that there would be a little more creativity with these comments.

I know it's not easy to think about what Nintendo could possibly do to improve on the Wii's formula in terms of mainstream appeal or accessibility, but I still think there's plenty of room to grow in that regard. I want Nintendo's next system to have a level of freshness and originality that is a greater driving force for the console than what hardware it's carrying, much like the Wii is. Hardware additions will be great, provided that the cost of the system itself is still very reasonable and affordable, but I'd hate to see the next system be merely an enhanced, more powerful version of the Wii. Surprise me! :P

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Upgrade audio
Upgrade video
Upgrade controls
Upgrade storage
Upgrade horsepower

Jaysonguy

Yeah I get you but Nintendo could have upgraded the sound from last gen and they didn't and it came back to really hurt all the games on the console.

I'd like to see improvements across the board this time

Get the basics down before anything else

i didn't really notice the "bad sound", honestly. sure, it's not Dolbi 5.1, but it's still quite good. and i really doubt they won't give us a "high tech" console next gen.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

more storage.. i \feel like im missing out on many wiiware games because i cant play demos.

Grafx upgrade would be pretty.

The online.. maybe have anonymous person voice chat(not that this is so cool either but nice to have) and ditch the friend codes.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

Sheesh... all I'm seeing with this thread is the same ol' "more power/features plz" that every gen seems to be defined by. How boring. You'd think that with a follow-up of a system that has changed the way new consoles can be built that there would be a little more creativity with these comments.

I know it's not easy to think about what Nintendo could possibly do to improve on the Wii's formula in terms of mainstream appeal or accessibility, but I still think there's plenty of room to grow in that regard. I want Nintendo's next system to have a level of freshness and originality that is a greater driving force for the console than what hardware it's carrying, much like the Wii is. Hardware additions will be great, provided that the cost of the system itself is still very reasonable and affordable, but I'd hate to see the next system be merely an enhanced, more powerful version of the Wii. Surprise me! :P

Madmangamer364
yea its a fair point. but as great as the wii is, it has many problems (simply because its the most experimental) and i would hate to see ninty just leave it at the wii as far as the new ideas that were introduced go. theres just a ton of room to grow and expand and experiment now. however a surprise would also be nice also :).
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

Theres never going to be a second version of the wii. There will be an outstanding next gen console sometime though

Cruse34
I think they were trying to say the next gen system not a Wii fat or some nonsense like that lol. I don't understand why people keep requesting DVD playback either, is there something wrong with the 10 other DVD players they own? I expect Nintendo to try and use a format that is more resistant to pirating, they'll probably up the horsepower the console, since the tech powering the HD consoles is getting cheaper and cheaper by the day. Outside of that its anyone's guess, I mean even with DS no one saw the motion control thing coming. Who knows what they will come up with for their next console, maybe they will get the first true AI that will two weeks after launch will take over the world lol
G-dorf11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 G-dorf11
Member since 2009 • 811 Posts

I remember a while back reading something about Nintendo teaming up with a company to distribute holographic storage in video games. That will probably be in our next console. I'll try and find a link.

G-dorf11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 G-dorf11
Member since 2009 • 811 Posts

just found the link

http://kotaku.com/5031293/nintendo-dabbling-in-holographic-storage

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

i think Nintendo should for once give developers what they ask for

-Follow Inudstry standards for Media format (be it CD,DVD, BR)

-Have hardware near the competitors

-Help promote 3rd party games too

Nintendo hasn't satisfied all of third party desires since SNES, they've always been doing something wrong with them be it Wii's online and underpowered specs, the GCNs mini-DVD, or N64s carts

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrunoBRS
maybe they will get the first true AI that will two weeks after launch will take over the world lolSepewrath
Skiinet? :P just to go serious and ruin your dreams of a nintendocalypse, "True AI" is technologically impossible, at least for now.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sepewrath

lol it was only a joke Bruno, but true AI isn't as far off as you think. we already have software that can adapt, the only thing separating it from AI is the ability to make those adaptions free of input from programmers.

Darth, Nintendo already supports the 3rd party with the WM+ bundles, Tri is coming with the Pro, they had console bundles when the Wii first came out. There's not much more they can do for 3rd parties, that 3rd parties cant do themselves.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS

lol it was only a joke Bruno, but true AI isn't as far off as you think. we already have software that can adapt, the only thing separating it from AI is the ability to make those adaptions free of input from programmers.

Sepewrath
which is nearly impossible, considering the programmers would have to program such thing, and they'd obviously apply limitations (unless you're an evil genius). the process of "learning to remember later and adapt yourself" isn't as well developed yet. the closest we can get would be something like Natal, which "learns" new things through repetition (seeing you play more often increases the accuracy) or through "patches" (which would work like our books), and both situations are very limited. and yes i knew it was a joke :P
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sepewrath
lol I never said it would be a good idea(in the same vein that nuclear weapons were not a good idea) but it can be done. It's far from impossible, it just wont be done because that would be very very poor judgment. But if we don't try how can we make a real life Mega Man?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS

lol I never said it would be a good idea(in the same vein that nuclear weapons were not a good idea) but it can be done. It's far from impossible, it just wont be done because that would be very very poor judgment. But if we don't try how can we make a real life Mega Man? Sepewrath
HAH! GOTCHA.

i played megaman X from start to end yesterday. the introduction is a "letter" from Dr. Light saying he'll lock up megaman for 30 years just to make sure not blowing him up is not a bad idea. 30 freaking years for just a single robot that can think on its own, and that's with megaman world's technology.

rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rock_solid
Member since 2003 • 5122 Posts

integrate the motionplus thing into the controller..so it's not an attachment. i don't like how i have to take that thing off for games i play with the controller sideways.... for example, new super mario bros wii. the controller is too wide when i play that game with the motionplus still on....so i gotta take it off

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BrunoBRS

integrate the motionplus thing into the controller..so it's not an attachment. i don't like how i have to take that thing off for games i play with the controller sideways.... for example, new super mario bros wii. the controller is too wide when i play that game with the motionplus still on....so i gotta take it off

rock_solid
if they stay with motion "sticks", they'll give us something more accurate than the motion+, built-in.
Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
The next console will come with a body suit as the controller which will be the fore-runner for the system after that, which will be a cartridge slot installed in your head. Good times!
shaka_fo00o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shaka_fo00o
Member since 2009 • 735 Posts

If they abandon whole motion controller they could use use a thing like the iPad, a touch screen controller. Your HUD could show on there; and maybe the games can have stuff you can do on the go with that controller (like the pokewalker thing). It'd be like that thing you see in the movies with the tech guy carrying around that pad to control EVERYTHING. Or they could incorporate some kind of thing (camera) that projects images (projection) for you to interate with the motion controller. You know like the eye toy/Natal stuff but in reverse (put some of that stuff in our world in some kind of star wars projection lights). I'd have to say that'd be pretty cool, don't know about cost effectiveness. If not they could incorporate Natal camera function in conjunction with the motion controller. Should totally keep the sound the in controller though and improve it!

shaka_fo00o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shaka_fo00o
Member since 2009 • 735 Posts

The next console will come with a body suit as the controller which will be the fore-runner for the system after that, which will be a cartridge slot installed in your head. Good times!Michael-Smith

Duuude i like your idea better!

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sepewrath

HAH! GOTCHA.

i played megaman X from start to end yesterday. the introduction is a "letter" from Dr. Light saying he'll lock up megaman for 30 years just to make sure not blowing him up is not a bad idea. 30 freaking years for just a single robot that can think on its own, and that's with megaman world's technology.

BrunoBRS
lol who cares what Dr. Light thinks, he always falls for Dr. Wily saying its not him and he didn't teach Mega Man to finish the job :P I'm making Pharaoh Man
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
High Definition ofcourse :)
livinitup01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 livinitup01
Member since 2004 • 1245 Posts
Probably an even better control scheme. I was actually thinking of this today. I wonder if it'd be possible to have a controller that involves motion control, have left and right hand input, has analog control for 3D games but also isn't complicated to the average person when you look at it (e.g. Most controllers are really confusing). If Nintendo can do it, that's great. Other things: Better online support Built-in VoiceChat (no separate attachment needed, maybe included in sensor bar) Easier to setup Holographic memory Better interface Backwards compatibility with all VC and Wiiware already purchases
Vyylent5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vyylent5
Member since 2009 • 310 Posts

Make it a true next gen console; online id, friends list, hd graphics etc.

It's gotta catch up in those ways.

07pops07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 07pops07
Member since 2008 • 552 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Upgrade audio
Upgrade video
Upgrade controls
Upgrade storage
Upgrade horsepower

BrunoBRS

they gave you something new a different with the wii. and now Microsoft and Sony are playing catch up. but Nintendo needs to upgrade its console in the next gen. when the wii came out it was outdated, now even the ps3 and 360 are starting to show wrinkles. Nintendo needs give dev's something they can work with or its just gonna be a bad joke

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#37 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

The biggest improvement Nintendo could make to the Wii is graphics-- give it 1080p support. To me, graphics are the Wii's biggest shortcoming.

Soko77788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Soko77788
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts

What they need to do is add the HD the other systems have and Then make a controller other than the wiimote. Keep the wiimote for games that actually use motion control well like wii sports. The other controller should be a standard controller that players can use for more traditional gaming. Then the final piece is to make the games people want. Bring back the storied franchises everyone loved growing up.

seacowphil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 seacowphil
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

The only thing i not 100% happy with about the Wii is the controls and the Visuals!

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Improving the motion control technology would be the biggest thing. At the very least MotionPlus-level sensitivity should be built right into the controller.

Definitely upgrade the storage. Having several Gigabytes internally would permit bigger Wiiware games and potentially more consoles on the VC.

Nintendo probably wouldn't move to the DVD or Blu-ray format, since they seem to like making their own type of disks to store the games. I reckon a better online system as well, having to write down several friend-codes for different games is a pain.

ModeDude

The discs are already based on DVD. The only reason the Wii cannot play regular DVD movies is because it lacks a decoder.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

1.) Storage

2.) HD graphics.

3.) A full online community.

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

Everything.

But they'll probably release the exact same Wii...but with a hat.

EpicPhail60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 EpicPhail60
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Well, where to start... -It needs high-definition, the hardware needs to be good enough so that games that come out for the 360 and PS3 can be brought over to the wii without a big drop in quality. -The WiiMotionPlus peripheral needs to be built-in to the next Wiimote. - Needs better online service. The online they have now is pitiful compared to XBL & PSN. - The Wii could use some features such as demos for games that you'll actually pick up on shelves, although I suppose that incorporates into "better online service". - Some sort of movie player - Get some sort of quality control again to crack down on the amount of shovelware for the Wii.
kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 kayne2000
Member since 2004 • 5583 Posts
make it bigger better but in addition to these ideas. in line with the emulation thing....while i can understand no catridge slots for those old games gotta re buy them ya thats fine. but go one step further with the sega cd games or sega saturn and dreamcast games. it would be awesome if they could make an emulator that would actually read those cds so if i have an old game CD from one of those systems it will play in the wii 2 since the wii already has several emulators on it. think of it the wii could be true multi powerhouse gaming machine capable of playing sega CD, saturn, dreamcast, gamecube and wii 1 games. on top of some way to transfer your Wii 1 VC downloads over it would be epic. its already got an NES SNES N64 genesis emulator on there. why not go all out. this would also make full use of the classic controller too. oh ya and some sort of achivement system would rock too.
toddH_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 toddH_basic
Member since 2002 • 469 Posts

They should make them orange.

jonzilla_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#46 jonzilla_basic
Member since 2002 • 2334 Posts
I Love Nintendo. Always have and always will. but the Wii just didn't cut it for me. I love the Wii sports bowling. But the big N really needs to step it up for the Next Console.