What Do You Love About The Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

With the lifespan of the Wii slowly grinding to a halt I think it would be fair to say (or at the very least debatable) that it has been the most criticized console that Nintendo has ever put together. I thought it could be cool, in retrospect, to look back and share what it was that we loved about the Wii.

As a platforming fanatic this might have been my favorite Nintendo console yet. Games like Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Rayman Origins the Wii has been like platforming heaven. As a huge Nintendo fan I will definitely be picking up the Wii U when it launches; here is to hoping that it continues with all of the Wii platforming goodness.

josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

i loved the ingenuity of the wii remote and how well it worked for some games like Galaxy and Super Paper Mario...at the same time though it did seem futile when i really preferred the old Paper Mario style and how it did nothing for Fire Emblem

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

i loved the ingenuity of the wii remote and how well it worked for some games like Galaxy and Super Paper Mario...at the same time though it did seem futile when i really preferred the old Paper Mario style and how it did nothing for Fire Emblem

josephl64

I liked the Wiimote/Nunchuck combination too. Going to miss it when we have to go back to more of a traditional controller with the Wii U.

josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

[QUOTE="josephl64"]

Euaggelistes

I liked the Wiimote/Nunchuck combination too. Going to miss it when we have to go back to more of a traditional controller with the Wii U.

it still has ingenuity so i wouldn't mind if developers do something amazing with it
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
Nintendo games of course ;)
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
It has GC controller ports and can play GC games on it. And Wii Sports.
NintendoFan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NintendoFan22
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Well, you have to love the Wii for what it is. When it first came out and I got Wii Sports, I knew this system was unlike anything Nintendo dd before. The controller and the controls were awesome, Wii Sports was a great experience. Huge points for Nintendo for thinking that up. There is a reason they sold 90 million copies of the Wii. And of course, the games. I mean as a whole, this wasn't Nintendo's best library of games. Nintendo has made better games in the past. However, the games that were good were REALLY good. I love what they did with SSBB and the adventure mode. They keep adding more features to those games which is great. The final smashes were a great idea. Although, I still wouldn't go out and say "Brawl is a better game than Melee." I certianly got more play time from Melee and maybe even more excitement. I don't know what it was. I really don't. I don't know what made Melee stand out to me that makes me actually think it can compete with Brawl which should have been ten times better that Melee honestly, but it is what it is. Mario Kart Wii was a brilliant game. SMG 1 and 2 are brilliant games. Donkey Kong came back in a huge way, and I also love New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Although I was disappointed by Mario Party 8 and Super Paper Mario, they were still good games. Super Paper Mario just didn't compare with the first 2 Paper Marios, and Mario Party 8 wasn't even close to the greatness of the first 4 Mario Party games.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
The controller, despite their critics there are many games whose gameplay and immersion were infinitely enhanced through use of motion controls or the pointer. I never want to go back to dual analog.
romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts

I loved the motion controls for MOST of the time, and I loved the Wii+ peripheral, it delivered almost everything I wanted in motion precision. When playing Twilight Pricess all I could think was "man it would be really really cool if they could mimmick the swings and that it would be necessary to defeat enemies that way".

The Wii, while having very very bad market decisions *cough lack of HD embarrassing cough* is a console I will remember fondly for the rest of my life.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Nothing. Wii was one of the worst consoles i have ever owned, next to the Jaguar, and 3DO.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
The Wii is the first Nintendo I have owned. Back in the day I was a megadrive boy, then an Amiga lad & then came the long Playstation years. So my answers not as a comparison to other Nintendo systems. I find the wii totally refreshing. A console that has brought out games like Super Mario Galaxy, Kirby, Donkey Kong, & whilst not having the best graphics in the market place, it surely has the best reliability. I've never had a glitch, let alone crash! Wii sports was a awesome title, but combined that with your personalised save file that is a Mii.....well, I'm sold all over again. I've got kids now, so I get to play Mario Kart & some crappy mini games like Carnival land, but its a different sort of gaming to my PS3, its relaxed fun, which works well from time to time. A great console ofwhich I'm not ready to see the back of just yet.
RadioOutrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RadioOutrider
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Lightgun games, was never a huge fan of them, but the Wii turned me. :)

Also, Nintendo games. I can't imagine playing a console without Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Metroid.

I also loved its promise with motion controls, WiiWare, and the channel system. It's unfortunate that the potential wasn't realized (IMO).

What else...

Gamecube compatibiliity

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts
It has GC controller ports and can play GC games on it. And Wii Sports.ZumaJones07
Mine doesn't :(.Why did they remove that feature?
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I love the Nintendo games and the Wii Remote and Nunchuk.I also love having niche titles.

12qazx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 12qazx
Member since 2005 • 1435 Posts

I like it for its virtual console as well as Nintendos first party games. There is a couple of third party games that I do like.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

I've tried to respond to this twice but each time I do I feel like I'd have to go so far into it that I might as well make it a blog entry. :P

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
Blog it, we'll come & read it.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

The fact that I can't play Zelda, Mario, and Fire Emblem on other consoles is why I loved the Wii..

benandmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 benandmax
Member since 2005 • 86 Posts

Just the feel of the games - cartoony and fun. It might have been the most criticized Nintendo system, but it DID outsell the other two, and it didn't win with processing power or graphics, it won by inginuety and marketing. Thew numbers don't lie. And the games are focused on fun. One big thing I notice about the wii is that when you have a few people over (esp. non-gamers) they want to play wii. I have all three consoles, but wii wins in a group if you want pure fun. And really, isn't that what video games are for?

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts
Innovative games that are good but no one knows about (Little King's Story, Phantom Brave, The Boy and the Blob, Epic Mickey, Elebits, Dewy's Adventure, Fragile Dreams, Tales of Symphonia 2, etc.) and the great list of first party games Nintendo makes. Also, I like how they focus more on gaming rather than cable services and ads (xbox) or other various forms of media (ps3).
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
1. Its a Nintendo and where else can u play nintendo games. 2. Motion controls. I love them. gamepads are fine, but motion is the future. 3. There is a great library of 3rd party indie smaller titles and an amazing diversity of genres of games. 4. it is like having 8 in 1 consoles with Wiiware and VC. I am a gamer, i play video games no matter the system, and Wii is a great system that has gotten more use then my PS3 and my PC this gen.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#23 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I really wanted to like the wii, but I haven't played mine for about a year...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#24 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I love some of the hidden gems that have come out of the system. I also love how, when done correctly, motion controls make a game truly unique. For instance, look at No More Heroes or Silent Hill shattered Memories. They weren't overbearing on motion conrtols, but they still used them effectivley. Plus there are many games that will live on to become classics, like the SMG games. And there is an extensive library of awesome cIassic games on the VC. There was also a lot of room for new ideas, like with Silent Hill Shattered Memories. Some of the games just wouldn't have been possible without the Wii controls.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#25 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The unique experiences it could provide via clever implementation of the Wii remote. I prefer Wii shooters to those on other consoles because of the control. Then, there are games like Red Steel 2 and Skyward Sword that I can't imagine being done any other way.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i like the games, the controller, gamecube ability and the virtual console..

vguy555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 vguy555
Member since 2007 • 4625 Posts

The amazing first party titles and the controller(motion controls).

sonic__323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 sonic__323
Member since 2007 • 23684 Posts

Some of the games.

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
Despite what everyone else says, the 3rd party exclusives - No More Heroes 1 and 2, Monster Hunter, Fragile, Muramasa, 007, Epic Mickey, a couple of the Final Fantasy spin offs, Red Steel 2, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Sin and Punishment. While I only own 4 of the affore mentioned games, the others compelled me to get the system first... well those, along with all the first party game - primarily platformers. On that note, the revival of the platformer on the Wii. And the Virtual Console. And when it was done well/right, the motion control idea.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The games

-Super Mario Galaxy

-Super Mario Galaxy 2

-New Super Mario Bros.

-Metroid Prime 3 Corruption

-Punch-Out!!

-The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

-Donkey Kong Country Returns

-Sin and Punishment Star Siccessor

even my favourite PS3 game this gen is playable on Wii, RAYMAN ORIGINS

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vraeth
Member since 2005 • 1208 Posts

VC and 1st party titles.

I hate the controller.

JakeMeltzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JakeMeltzer
Member since 2011 • 243 Posts

I don't like anything about the Wii, except for the fact that Endless Ocean is an exclusive. I really believe that the Endless Ocean series is hands down the best that Nintendo has ever published & if they make a third game for Wii U that might possibly be the sole reason I would have any interest in Nintendo's next console. I've been a fan of Nintendo consoles dating back to the NES & I honestly think that the Wii is Nintendo's very first misstep, in terms of home consoles. Everything about Wii was awful right from the beginning. I still have a little faith in Nintendo, but not much at this point.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

The lack of cinematic whac-a-mole nonsense (ie no crap like Uncharted, Gears of War, Mass Effect, ect).

And of course, niche titles like Little King's Story, Rune Factory Frontier, Cursed mountain. I think I enjoyed third party offerings more on the Wii than first party offerings.

Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
The interesting exclusives.
TheSuperMario1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheSuperMario1
Member since 2011 • 77 Posts
I like the idea of a game for the Wii that involves being fit and healthy(Wii Fit)