What colour is the best performance-wise?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 theweakbear
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

I used to play DS a lot, but ever since I got my Wii I haven't been playingat all. I'm thinking of getting a DS lite and some new games but I'm wondering what the best colour is. I'm thinking white since it will match the Wii but I've been hearing a bunch of things about how some different colours have different types of screens and stuff.

Oh and can someone tell me what battery life of the DS lite is when it's brightness is on the highest level?

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts
They're all pretty much the same no matter the color, but yes the white would match the wii, i have the cobalt/black one, some say that they have a yellowish tint on the touch screen, although on mine I don't notice, some have the cracked hinges, mine does not *as of yet* or an alignment issue ith the screen which my first cobalt/black did have but exhanged it for a perfect one. So pick the one you like, they're all the same basically, and the battery life i'm not sure about.
Xraydon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xraydon
Member since 2005 • 1227 Posts
I agree color will not impact performance. You really dont need to play on the highest brightness, you would need sunglasses, but I am guessing maybe 4-6 hours on the highest.
travt-down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 travt-down
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts

Red, but your insurance company will tear you a new one.

:P

jump_for_jam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jump_for_jam
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I have a white one I like to play it on the bus a lot, its good.
bobdood99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bobdood99
Member since 2007 • 1862 Posts
i have the all black colored one. there is no difference in how the ds is played threw just the color. that wouldnt make any since. nintendo would have announced it.
16bitgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 16bitgamer
Member since 2008 • 382 Posts
I suppose white or silver will reflect the most light and therefore stay cooler, but the difference is probably negligable. I've never heard a story of the DS overheating.
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
I think that they're all pretty identicual, but darker colors don't show dirt. Does that count as a performance?
theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 theweakbear
I think that they're all pretty identicual, but darker colors don't show dirt. Does that count as a performance?JAB991
Yeah pretty much anything that would make it better. I'm not sure though I would kinda prefer white, to match the Wii, but if white will show dirt than maybe I should get a darker colour. BTW which colours show fingerprints?
Ganodon44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ganodon44
Member since 2006 • 627 Posts
i'm pretty sure they all have basically the same parts.. just get the color you like the best.
sakuranoame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sakuranoame
Member since 2006 • 322 Posts

Unfortunately, onyx black shows the fingerprints. :?

Crimson and cobalt don't. Unlike the Onyx black that has a enamel finish (prone to fingerprints), a different material is used for the black portions on crimson and cobalt, I'm not sure what it's called. :P

I own 3 DS lites, and crimson is the best so far. It's also more scratch resistant, because it doesn't have the enamel finish. But note, it has the yellow tinted screen, which doesn't really show unless both the top and bottom screens are white (you see the white screen when you turn on the DS). In terms of performance, the yellow tint has NO effect at all. So, get a crimson or a cobalt. :D

theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theweakbear
Yellow tint! That seems pretty bad actually. I think I'm getting a white one. Thanks to everyone who replied. BTW what games should I get? I have NSMB, MPH, ACWW, MKDS, (I have a phat red DS) and I think I'll get phantom hourglass, geometry wars, brain age and line rider when it comes out.
sakuranoame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sakuranoame
Member since 2006 • 322 Posts

Check the stickied recommendation thread.

But personally, I would recommend:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates

Ace Attorney Trilogy (I believe the 1st game is no longer available in stores, you might have to try online)

Professor Layton and the Curious Village

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Final Fantasy III

Turbo_Burdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Turbo_Burdo
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts
I made the huge mistake in buying the black one. I wish I bought a white one.
joeychew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 joeychew
Member since 2003 • 4580 Posts
colour means nothing to performance.....
macho_c_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 macho_c_a
Member since 2006 • 1007 Posts

I made the huge mistake in buying the black one. I wish I bought a white one.Turbo_Burdo

why was it a mistake? i also got the black one and haven´t had any problems with it

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
the only difference between them all is the colour....performance is the same
-Sphere-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 -Sphere-
Member since 2008 • 1063 Posts
I have the white one and have had no problems at all.
theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 theweakbear
I'm not even sure if I want a DS anymore. I don't know how long a life it has left and if any good games are coming.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#20 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

all models are the same , and have the same problems that can incur overtime, example cracked hinges those can happen over a long period of tme short if you drop it hard enough, the original is more prone to this since it was made differently, screens are the same though no differences, the only thing different is the color, everything inside is the same, a computer chip touch screen nothing fancy about one spacific color,

just like how xbox360 is prone to its problems no matter what unit you pick up core arcade premium or the black elite, no electronic is without its faults no matter what color you pick itll likely breakdown one day if your a regular user of it that is, if your like me and seldemly play it it should last a long long time then if you were to constantly play it, and dont clean the cards etc just like how my n64 needs to be replaced because of 2 of them the 2nd controller port barely works have to mess with cord to get it working, the other units are rusted and i dont want ne of my games getting broken , ill have to keep em clean to work ,

but ya color does not affect performance of the said console/handheld its nintendo its quality , should last you over 10 yrs mechanically , , as for hinges, dont keep opening and shuting them , constantly if you do not need to open it, keep it closed or if your playing ,, have to use bathroom keep it open that should insure that you dont losen anything any fast then its normal wear and tear much like laptops ,, , hinges break and there just cosmetic well also if you crack a hinge before warrante expires nintendo fixes them for free, no matter what the problem is if it wasnt treated poorly, just pick your color, its gonna do the same, none of em differ in mechanics graphics or any major changes, just cosmetic changes , the color lol ,

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#21 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts
life ? look at the gba it had life in it well into ds era so its safe to say ds will be around even when a new ds or gb gets released who knows, may last even longer with that impressive touch screen
travt-down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 travt-down
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts

I'm not even sure if I want a DS anymore. I don't know how long a life it has left and if any good games are coming.theweakbear

Thats like living in fear of the Earth being engulfed by the sun. The end (for the DS and Earth) are coming, but its so far away you need not worry.

soccerdude256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 soccerdude256
Member since 2004 • 211 Posts

Get the crimson/black one, 'cause veryone knows red goes faster! ;)

Colour doesn't impact on performance, only way that it might affect it is heat retention in which case white would be the best for keeping it cool but seriously I'd like to see someone actualy try and argue that the difference is a considerable one.

poetsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 poetsoul
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

Depending on screen brightness and game intensity, the DS-lite battery life ranges from 2-8 hours.

I use a black, and I wear my fingerprints as a badge of pride. :) It doesn't matter how much dirt is visible on that thing, the black DS is a sexy beast.

TheIndianChild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#25 TheIndianChild
Member since 2007 • 1731 Posts

I used to play DS a lot, but ever since I got my Wii I haven't been playingat all. I'm thinking of getting a DS lite and some new games but I'm wondering what the best colour is. I'm thinking white since it will match the Wii but I've been hearing a bunch of things about how some different colours have different types of screens and stuff.

Oh and can someone tell me what battery life of the DS lite is when it's brightness is on the highest level?

theweakbear

The performance of the DS does not depend on its colour . Just get the colour you want , and yellow tinting of the touch screen and cracked hinges can occur in any coloured DS , nothing's happened to my white DS lite so far though .

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Why does everyone care about dirt/fingerprints? What's important is you like the color around both DS screens.

theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 theweakbear
OK thanks for the replys everyone. I'm still unsure if I should get a DS lite this weekend though....
VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 VegasAceVII
Member since 2006 • 404 Posts
That's like saying my Red Car is better then my Blue Car...if anyone for one second on this board thinks that one ds plays better then the other ds, you're off your rocker.
theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theweakbear
OK I'm getting a white one with phantom hourglass, and one of these: tetris, geometry wars, brain age, or star fox. Which other one should I get? BTW the reccomendations thread doesn't help it just lists what gamespot said which I can look up myself.
PrincessYoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 PrincessYoshi
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts
Same here!
Sorreltail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sorreltail
Member since 2008 • 293 Posts
Black is a good colour.
lfclee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 lfclee
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts
i have a black one and in my house there is a white and a pink and there seems to be no difference in performance.
theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 theweakbear
How long a life does the DS have left?
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

How long a life does the DS have left?theweakbear

The DS isn't alive... :P

I'd say 3 years. Maybe a bit more or less.

theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 theweakbear
k as long as theres games for a good 2 years
Zeromus1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zeromus1337
Member since 2008 • 15955 Posts
I doubt the Color would make a Difference.