What changes are you hoping for in Pokemon Switch?

#1 Posted by Ovirew (8611 posts) -

It'll be a while yet until information drops about the upcoming Pokemon game(s), but I thought it would be good to get a discussion going about what people are hoping for in the game.

Do you want to see certain changes and new features, or maybe you want some things to stay the same or remain for the next outing?

I'll share some of the things I'm personally hoping for:

1. A Meatier Adventure.

Pokemon games have gotten light on single-player content in more recent years. It would be great to have a large new region to explore where players can't breeze right through to the elite four, and lots of content available to take on beyond the main story.

2. Challenge.

Pokemon games have also gotten really auto-pilot in recent years. Between EXP Share becoming OP, TMs becoming reusable and the aforementioned story getting shorter, the games have become too easy. Not to mention needlessly long dialogue exchanges and cutscenes at the beginning of a brand new adventure. We don't need our hands held, Nintendo - I figured out how to play Red and Blue just fine when I was 10! Bring on the tough stuff!

3. Single-Use TMs, No HMs. Kill EXP Share.

Continuing on my previous points, TMs gained unlimited uses in recent years. This was novel, but ultimately took away a huge layer of strategy in Pokemon. Those rare TMs you earned from gym leaders and found in caves? You had a single monster to spend them on, so you had to make the choice count. You have four maximum moves, and being able to change them all continually on the fly cheapens the point of learning over old moves.

HMs are irritating because they are necessary, but can't be unlearned. It's time to do away with HMs in their current form, and turn them into overworld abilities that can be used by certain types of monsters, provided you have the right badges.

EXP Share, forget it.

4. Shake up the Starter Pokemon.

I wouldn't mind too much if Poke Switch continued the longstanding tradition of a grass, fire and water-type starter, given that this is the first console game. But it would be nice if they did something brand new with starters, and if they didn't all have the same abilities that power up their move type in a pinch.

Why don't they instead make a flying, electric and ground starter? Or heck, make starters three different types that don't have any real advantage over the other two, so it's fair?

It would also be cool if the did something different with atarter evolutions. What if you could evolve each of the three starters into one of two or three different forms with a different type combo? Or what if your starters could combine with other pokemon in battle somehow, giving you a different sort of reason to want to bring them along often?

5. Mostly new Monsters. Cool it on Legendaries.

What I enjoy most with each new gen is meeting new pokemon, as well as a selection of some existing favs. It would be great to have 150 new monsters in this game - in addition to maybe a mixture of 200 existing ones for the regional dex.

The game should have a couple of legendaries of course, but not too many. It makes legendary monsters less, well, legendary whenever there are a dozen in a region. It should be a bigger game and there should be some optional endgame bois, but more importantly make sure there's lotsa regular poke in the vast wild to encounter.

6. Rebalance Movesets.

I get that some pokemon are just meant to be weak and have small movesets. But more monsters should be viable, and unevolved monsters should be viable. Magikarp will likely always just know Splash and Tackle, that's part of its shtick. But why can't Ditto learn Mimic and Copy Cat? Time to revise longstanding movesets.

7. A Different Story?

Most Pokemon games place you in control of a teenager who wants to be a pokemon master. They have a rival. There is some evil syndicate to dismantle. It works, I know, but what if they changed it up a tad?

I'm not suggesting anything too crazy, like getting rid of gyms (*gazes at Sun & moon*), but it would be kinda interesting if your character were a pokemon researcher who gets caught up in training and battling monsters while trying to unravel a scientific pokemon breakthrough. It would be a great way to introduce new layers of depth to the series midway through the adventure.

Anyway those are mine. I hope the game stays turn-based, and that abilities and held items stay in the mix, as well as mega evolution. ...Z moves and could go away, though...

What are you guys hoping for?

#2 Posted by sakaiXx (4860 posts) -

A world map would be nice.

#4 Edited by Ovirew (8611 posts) -

@sakaixx: How do you mean? Like a map showing each region from every game?

If GameFreak made a new game with Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh...so-on, it might be neat. But that would take a lot of work and monsters might start to feel redudant.

I think they could do something sort of like that though, maybe streamline some areas a bit and update stuff going on in each region to modern times in the games. They probably wouldn't include every last pokemon from previous gens, but it would be cool if they split up a mixture of lots of them between versions and really made version choice a big deal.

#5 Posted by KBFloYd (21367 posts) -

1. I hope all the pokemon are visable like in lets go. I don't want to go back to invisible random encounters. BUT i want to capture differently. I dont want to use motion controls.

2. the graphics need to be much better than lets go. its needs to be more realistic looking. closer to yokai watch 4 but im hoping its more realistic than that.

3. im hoping the camera view is slightly more over the shoulder than it is top down.

Those are the main things.

#6 Posted by sakaiXx (4860 posts) -

@Ovirew: the ps1 kind of world map for me. They did with Alpha sapphire where you fly off the back of a Pokemon into world map. I think its really cool and they could expand on it where there are Pokemon on field.

#7 Posted by Speeny (1106 posts) -

Honestly if most of the regions were implemented as well as most Pokemon I’d give the series another go.

I used to own all of the games until I sold them off because having a complete living Pokédex was too much of an effort that it’d take me forever to finish. We can all dream. :(

That being said, I think I’d really still enjoy the Mystery Dungeon games.

#8 Posted by Ovirew (8611 posts) -

@sakaixx: Ah, I see where you're going now! Yeah, that'd be great. I guess that would work best if the towns were spread out and not all connected by close-knit caves and forests and stuff. It would be a little more realistic, but it would definitely give players lots of out-of-the-way areas to hunt for new pokemon.

@KBFloYd: I like invisible encounters, but I might not mind being able to see the pokemon outside of battle. I guess it just takes away from the surprise a little if there is some rare monster in a spot that you would only find out about if you stayed there running into wilds for a bit. If you suddenly see some new monster pop up then anyone would know about it by seeing it. But that's a small gripe. Some could still be hidden in tall grass, bushes, behind boulders and such. Some you could probably only encounter in the skies!

I haven't played Let's Go, but I saw a few ads for it on my Switch while watching Hulu, and I was fairly impressed with the graphics. I think it's safe to say this new game will look at least slightly better than that game does. Idk about realistic, actually I'm a bit curious what you're imagining for the graphical direction. I hope Pikachu doesn't have really realistic fur like Detective Pikachu or anything lol.

@speeny: I think for me whenever I play a new Pokémon game, I'm mostly focused on the regional pokedex. To me, the national pokedex has too many monsters for one game, and most of them are, when you get right down to it, replacements for previous ones. Between the redundant monsters and the more original ones, you manage to find a mix of party members that you really like using and form your base "team" with the latest game. Sure, try to catch as many as you can in the region, but there's a reason why "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" was dropped as the series' official tagline years ago - it's not really so much about capturing every last one of them as it is getting to know all of them a little and building a team with the ones you like having around.

#9 Posted by KBFloYd (21367 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

@sakaixx: Ah, I see where you're going now! Yeah, that'd be great. I guess that would work best if the towns were spread out and not all connected by close-knit caves and forests and stuff. It would be a little more realistic, but it would definitely give players lots of out-of-the-way areas to hunt for new pokemon.

@KBFloYd: I like invisible encounters, but I might not mind being able to see the pokemon outside of battle. I guess it just takes away from the surprise a little if there is some rare monster in a spot that you would only find out about if you stayed there running into wilds for a bit. If you suddenly see some new monster pop up then anyone would know about it by seeing it. But that's a small gripe. Some could still be hidden in tall grass, bushes, behind boulders and such. Some you could probably only encounter in the skies!

I haven't played Let's Go, but I saw a few ads for it on my Switch while watching Hulu, and I was fairly impressed with the graphics. I think it's safe to say this new game will look at least slightly better than that game does. Idk about realistic, actually I'm a bit curious what you're imagining for the graphical direction. I hope Pikachu doesn't have really realistic fur like Detective Pikachu or anything lol.

@speeny: I think for me whenever I play a new Pokémon game, I'm mostly focused on the regional pokedex. To me, the national pokedex has too many monsters for one game, and most of them are, when you get right down to it, replacements for previous ones. Between the redundant monsters and the more original ones, you manage to find a mix of party members that you really like using and form your base "team" with the latest game. Sure, try to catch as many as you can in the region, but there's a reason why "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" was dropped as the series' official tagline years ago - it's not really so much about capturing every last one of them as it is getting to know all of them a little and building a team with the ones you like having around.

if you played pokemon go you will see how rare monsters and shiny pokemon are handled. its much better than mainline pokemon games to me in that aspect.