We Need a New Yoshi Platformer on Wii U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheDidact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TheDidact
Member since 2012 • 3986 Posts
Yoshi is definitely my favorite character in the Mario franchise. The last time he got his own dedicated game was Yoshi's Island 2 in 2006. He's still never had a 3d platformer to himself (although he was playable in Mario 64 DS). Should Yoshi get his own platformer on Wii U? And should it be 2D or 3D?
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Yes they should. Yoshi's Island is easily one of the greatest platformers ever made and Yoshi's Island DS is a lot of fun too. I would love to see them make an incredibly gorgeous 2d platformer for WiiU. I've always preferred my platformers in a 2d plain.

despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

And it needs to be made by Good-Feel.

I'd also like to see the game use the Wii-mote to throw the eggs

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Yoshi is a sidekick. Sidekicks do not get their own games. It is bad enough that Luigi has his own series. All of these characters need to start knowing their roles.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Hmmm maybe. If we are gonna get Mario, DK, Kirby, and Wario platformers, not sure we need another. Though a 3d one would be cool.

despa1r_fact0r
Really? They do pretty visuals but nothing special in gameplay imo.
gial240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 gial240
Member since 2004 • 2019 Posts

Yoshi is a sidekick. Sidekicks do not get their own games. It is bad enough that Luigi has his own series. All of these characters need to start knowing their roles.

Euaggelistes
Made me chuckle for some reason.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Correction - we need a *good* new Yoshi platformer.

Yoshi's Story was okayish, but paled in comparison to the SNES original.

It should also be a 2D platformer with high-quality, hand-drawn graphics (1080p preferably).

Yoshi in 3D would be like SMG without Mario and modded levels, imo.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Make it 3D,with a big,explorable world.

No cheap games.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Euaggelistes

Nah, if done right, games about side kick characters can be pretty interesting. Luigi's mansion is one good example, as is Secret Agent Clank for the PSP.

Yoshi though, honestly, I'm not a huge fan. He's cute, but he really doesn't need his own series imo. But maybe I am not fit to judge, as the only Yoshi game I played was Yoshi's story, (which I did enjoy, it was just nothing spectacular.) while Yoshi's island seems to be the one most people really praise. I mean, I don't see anything wrong with more Yoshi games, if one comes out I will likely check it out. It's just that Yoshi is one of those characters who I think is better left being Mario's ride.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Hmmm maybe. If we are gonna get Mario, DK, Kirby, and Wario platformers, not sure we need another. Though a 3d one would be cool. [QUOTE="despa1r_fact0r"]

locopatho

I agree Good-Feel should just do the graphics and have a better team work on the gameplay.

Plurpz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Plurpz
Member since 2010 • 94 Posts

I'd like one, a 3D one definitely sounds cool.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
One part of me says yes, I enjoyed both of the Yoshi's Island games and Yoshi's Story. But the other part of me thinks Nintendo has already been releasing more than enough sidescrolling platformers. I'd rather if they worked on something else.
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Hmmm maybe. If we are gonna get Mario, DK, Kirby, and Wario platformers, not sure we need another. Though a 3d one would be cool. [QUOTE="despa1r_fact0r"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

I agree Good-Feel should just do the graphics and have a better team work on the gameplay.

I'd disagree, as Kirby's Epic Yarn was, IMO and many others, the best Kirby. While I do agree that they should work at least on the graphics, because they obviously are great at it, I see no reason to dismiss them as a whole developer. I mean, if a better developer can be found that will work well with Good-Feel, sure, why not? Otherwise, I don't see why they should be cast aside.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
Have they made a 3D Yoshi game yet? I feel like that would be pretty cool. Something similar to Spyro would be awesome!
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
Gimme new Yoshi's Island with art like Rayman Origins/Legends in full 1080p and we're good
Hsk_Dark_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hsk_Dark_Link
Member since 2006 • 55 Posts

Ya, for sure. Another Yoshi's Island would be awesome

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Have they made a 3D Yoshi game yet? I feel like that would be pretty cool. Something similar to Spyro would be awesome!RyanShazam

Don't you feel Yoshi in 3D would be like SMG 2 without Mario?

I think it would be better left in 2D.

I mean, look at this commercial and tell me if you don't want the game to look like this (see animated intro):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuCDkfjVE5E

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I've been replaying Yoshi's Island on the 3DS VC, so my first inclination was to agree with you, but....

Instead of another Yoshi platformer, I'd rather see a new platformer that does what Yoshi's Island originally did - something completely new. Remember, that game was the direct sequel to Super Mario World. It introduced a ton of entirely new mechanics, while maintaining the same kind of exploration-heavy platforming that Super Mario World did so well.

Nobody - literally, nobody - wanted or expected Yoshi's Island before it was announced. It came out of nowhere with a design aesthetic and gameplay mechanics that nobody had been looking for in the sequel to Super Mario World, but it turned out to be an absolutely amazing game.

That's the kind of thing I want to see out of Nintendo. As much as I'd love an updated iteration of Yoshi's Island, I'd rather see what Nintendo can do with totally new ideas in the 2D platformer genre.