Was Battalion Wars II considered a flop for us Wii gamers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Many people are discussing the fact that BWII was a huge flop.

Honestly, I didn't know what to expext. The first one wasn't AAA, and it was kind of just a "fun to play once through" type of game.

So I don't understand the whole, "OMGZZ TEH BATTALIONZ FLOPPIDDD" deal.

People should chill.

By the way, I think BWII is a solid, great game.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
People here hyped it a bunch, enough to make me look it up and watch trailers...I looked into the game for awhile, but decided that I wouldn't get it because it's a game that doesn't seem to fit me. I'll probably end up renting or borrowing it. The reviews I read said it was a decent game... so I personally wouldn't call it a flop
jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 jdmpastor
Member since 2003 • 664 Posts
It wasn't a flop as far as score goes. But as far as sales go so far it's not doing so good. Nintendo really miss a great opportunity with this game. It's loads of fun.
gamer040189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 gamer040189
Member since 2003 • 2072 Posts
I didnt really expect great things from the game so it wasn't a flop to me
bmorrow1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bmorrow1
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Battalion Wars 2 actually turned out to be more fun than I had originally expected. I never played the first one, so I had to base my expectations on screen shots and video from the various game sites. But after having it for over a week and puttingsome serious time into the campaign I can say it is definitelyone of the better Wii games. The graphics are pretty good, the cut scenes are excellent, the story is enjoyable, and the game play is addicting.Haven't tried theonline play yet because Iwant to get more comfortable with the different vehicles and characters before getting killed by an 8 year old who has nothing better to do with his time!

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
The first Battalion Wars was NOT AAA. It was A at most. But I don't think that BWii is a flop my any means.
Vinnie222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 Vinnie222
Member since 2003 • 451 Posts
Never played the first one so i had nothing to compare it to but i think its a soild fun game
Gaticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Gaticus
Member since 2005 • 151 Posts
I don't consider this game a flop, if anything it is a vast improvement on the last installment in the series. I haven't even seen nintendo advertising this other than on the NOA website so, for having nothing but word of mouth advertisement I think it is doing well. I have fun playing it, although I do have quams with a few of the online capabilities; I'm sure I will get over them in due time.
-Despacio-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Despacio-
Member since 2002 • 1881 Posts
It's a unique franchise with a lot of potential. If Nintendo marketed it correctly it could be one of their biggest franchises. But they practically ignored the game. It's sad, and it's sales numbers thus far of only 26,000 is extremely dissapointing.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

It wasn't a flop as far as score goes. But as far as sales go so far it's not doing so good. Nintendo really miss a great opportunity with this game. It's loads of fun.jdmpastor

i havent seen not one advertisment for this game.

supreuph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 supreuph
Member since 2007 • 654 Posts

I don't think it was a flop per se. I think that the initial hype it received considering its less than well known predecessor was intriguing to most, so we were looking for a good-to-great title. I think it is that, considering Gamespot is biased toward online games and this one didn't have a bunch of online, but it just didn't seem to be as big a deal as we had thought and hoped. Sales won't be on par with any of the bigger releases like Metoid Prime 3, Mario Party 8, or even Mario Strikers Charged. From what I've heard, it's still a game very much worth playing.

fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#12 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts
i think that Nintendo needs to advertise this more because it has the potential to be a hit on the Wii, but it suffers from underexposure.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
It suprises me that something can flop before catches on (or tries to). In 4 months, if this game still has numbers that make it unprofitable then yes it's a flop. Right now it's just a candidate. We can't compare all the games to the Marios, Halo's and GH benchmark. Yes, 26,000 is still low, but again, only some time will tell.
Yarcofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yarcofin
Member since 2006 • 3396 Posts
I wouldn't call it a flop. It disappointed a lot of people like me who overhyped it, but it isn't a bad game. It's just missing a lot of stuff that seriously could have made this game a 9.0. It's an average game, there is nothing bad or broken about it, but it's missing stuff.
Udsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Udsen
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
I don't think so..maybe in sales yeah.
dieworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dieworm
Member since 2004 • 6416 Posts
Didn't flop in my eyes, it's fantastic.
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

It wasn't a flop as far as score goes. But as far as sales go so far it's not doing so good. Nintendo really miss a great opportunity with this game. It's loads of fun.jdmpastor

100% truth. I agree. It's too bad that this game will go unnoticed by too many.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

Great post man. Very well and impartially said :)

I would also agree and also cal to light this whole "____ game was a flop!" thing that appears to go on online somewhere. I've never seen any evidence of this and I've also never seen any evidence of what is justuifying all these 18 year olds deciding great and successful games are flops. Can anyone explain this? You know what? Nm I don't even really care about anyway lol.

toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts
Maybe if Nintendo actually advertized it.
toadster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 toadster101
Member since 2006 • 12622 Posts
Maybe if Nintendo actually advertized it.
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

It is to me a little. I expected it to be WAY better than the original and I thought the first obe was...ok. And the controls seem tacked on but I can't say for sure cuz I didn't play it yet. It hadn't flopped to my eyes, I would have got it at luanch. Now I will eventually get it at some point. Maybe at a game drought.

But I knew the game would deliver for BW fans. It just didn't to me.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
All I can say is that Zac And Wiki is the bomb, and I truely adore that game. I had to make a tough choice, ZandW or BWII...
JeffNipples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JeffNipples
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts
I just bought the game. Played it for about an hour last night for the first time and so far I think its pretty good. Controls with wiimote are a little to touchy but its still pretty fun from what I've played so far
magicquebec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 magicquebec
Member since 2006 • 1306 Posts

The real problem is, when you buy a game, you need some time to play it, you don't go out and buy 4 games at the same time, people ussualy buy 1 game and play it for a while.

BWii got screwed because it was release just before SMG.

At first i wanted to buy BWii, but i'm going to go for SMG instead, because i know that once i have my hands on SMG, i won't play any other Wii games.

Look at games like Umbrella Chronicle, Lego Star Wars... honestly those games looks hot!, but same week as SMG.. hmm it's going to kill those sales, i'm sure!

Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts
It hasn't been out for a while so it's hard to tell if it's a flop or not. It'll probably be easier to tell once the holiday season is over because a lot of people (like me) might be asking for it for Christmas.
sps9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sps9
Member since 2007 • 220 Posts

It's not an AAA title but it's a lot of fun and getting loads of play time from me

Never have a problem finding online matches either so I guess other people are enjoying it too

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

The real problem is, when you buy a game, you need some time to play it, you don't go out and buy 4 games at the same time, people ussualy buy 1 game and play it for a while.

BWii got screwed because it was release just before SMG.

At first i wanted to buy BWii, but i'm going to go for SMG instead, because i know that once i have my hands on SMG, i won't play any other Wii games.

Look at games like Umbrella Chronicle, Lego Star Wars... honestly those games looks hot!, but same week as SMG.. hmm it's going to kill those sales, i'm sure!

magicquebec

I don't agree. GH 3 was released 1 day before and sold well because it's well known to many people.Imo Bwii did poorly(well don't really know how bad it sold, but you guys are saying it didn't sell well so...)because:

a: Hardly any advertising

b: Not known to many people besides purchasers of the first game(and people who frequent the wii board and see duckman's and other people's signatures lol)

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#28 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
I don't know because I haven't played it yet, but if it is better than the first one than it isn't a flop at all, the reason why it failed when it comes to scores is because it is a sequel andusually all sequels are bashed because they are just "more of the same".
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Not to me. I enjoyed it enough to say it is a solid 8.5.
T_Largo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 T_Largo
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts
Honestly, I bought the game on day 1 and have been enjoying it VERY much since then. The campaign is really addictive and I certainly don't regret buying it.
Hyrule-master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Hyrule-master
Member since 2007 • 519 Posts
The game easily could ahve gotten an AAA if they did just a few things right. Everyone hyped it a A at GS though so no.
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

I'm glad many people agree with me on the quality of this game. It's great.

I just hope I can find some people to play with online, that's what I was worried about. Especially with its majorrr lack of sales.

IF anyone wants to exchange Wii numbers, let me know!

FunWithMatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FunWithMatches
Member since 2005 • 250 Posts
I'm a huge, huge fan of Advance Wars. It was one of the first games i picked up for the GBA when it first came out (man I miss that rectangle) and I played it honestly for hours at a time. My friends and I would duke it out with the cables and make our own D-Day maps and try and create impossible mazes full of heavy tanks and missile units. That's my main problem with this game. I love the switch from 2d strategy to the 3d world, but the complete lack of strategy and customization just doesn't put it up to par. I mean advance wars DS made me go out and buy a Lite just to play that game, only to beat it 3 times through then sell it all off 100% satisfied. So far I'm enjoying this one far more than the first battalion wars. The controls are much more intuitive and the tutorials actually teach you how to play the game. I kind of wish they did this game from the top down perspective like advance wars, then shift to the 3d combat when you move units or battalions into combat. That way you get the strategy aspect mixed with some kick-ass 3d action. It's a fun game, one of my favorites on the Wii thus far, but it doesn't have the stomping power of its little brother in my book. Also, and this is a big also....NO FREAKIN CO-OP. I mean how hard is it to put a line down the middle of a screen and allow two people to fight against each other? They could have done capture the flag, defend and attack, or even had mini scenarios where a small, pretty much pointless story is set up about one battalion fighting off another one for 20 minutes until reinforcements arrive. ANYTHING like that would have made this game the must own AAA title that it could have been. Advance wars was all about strategy and fighting against your friends. This series just hasn't seemed to figure that out. Sure there's online and if my interent at my university would work, it may answer that question, but all in all I just wish there was something to do with my roommates.
NEILMEHTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NEILMEHTA
Member since 2005 • 525 Posts
BWii sort of deserved to be AA. It's a really good game, and I feel no shallowness. It deserves to stand next to MP3, TP, WW, and future games as part of my collection. It's a solid game. :)
Jayesler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jayesler12
Member since 2006 • 1690 Posts
i bet bw3 will be even better. but bwii was a great improvement from the last game and i don't think it was a flop, although they didn't advertise this game very much and it is underrated.
Mafoofoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mafoofoo
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I do not consider Bwii a flop at all. In fact it is one of my favourite Wii games. ^^
nomadph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nomadph
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts
mercury meltdown (wii) got 8.5 from gamespot...i guess THAT game is better than bwii...so in gamespot's eyes...yeah it's a flop...
ljlrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#38 ljlrj
Member since 2007 • 14800 Posts
only if nintendo advertise it not even 1 commercail
sonic_rusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 sonic_rusher
Member since 2007 • 2185 Posts

only if nintendo advertise it not even 1 commercailljlrj

if only they did it right, the only thing they did not under perform on was the campaign. it almost seems like they were forced to do a multiplayer and did it crappy.

dieworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dieworm
Member since 2004 • 6416 Posts
I'm a huge, huge fan of Advance Wars. It was one of the first games i picked up for the GBA when it first came out (man I miss that rectangle) and I played it honestly for hours at a time. My friends and I would duke it out with the cables and make our own D-Day maps and try and create impossible mazes full of heavy tanks and missile units. That's my main problem with this game. I love the switch from 2d strategy to the 3d world, but the complete lack of strategy and customization just doesn't put it up to par. I mean advance wars DS made me go out and buy a Lite just to play that game, only to beat it 3 times through then sell it all off 100% satisfied. So far I'm enjoying this one far more than the first battalion wars. The controls are much more intuitive and the tutorials actually teach you how to play the game. I kind of wish they did this game from the top down perspective like advance wars, then shift to the 3d combat when you move units or battalions into combat. That way you get the strategy aspect mixed with some kick-ass 3d action. It's a fun game, one of my favorites on the Wii thus far, but it doesn't have the stomping power of its little brother in my book. Also, and this is a big also....NO FREAKIN CO-OP. I mean how hard is it to put a line down the middle of a screen and allow two people to fight against each other? They could have done capture the flag, defend and attack, or even had mini scenarios where a small, pretty much pointless story is set up about one battalion fighting off another one for 20 minutes until reinforcements arrive. ANYTHING like that would have made this game the must own AAA title that it could have been. Advance wars was all about strategy and fighting against your friends. This series just hasn't seemed to figure that out. Sure there's online and if my interent at my university would work, it may answer that question, but all in all I just wish there was something to do with my roommates.FunWithMatches
Wow dude first off, use the enter button. Secondly, I love AW. But I also recognize that BW is NOT a strategy game. It's a tactical squad based, 3rd person shooter hybrid. I think people are quick to label it as a strategy game because it was originally an Advance Wars game and is still part of the Wars series. If you don't look at it as a strategy game but an action game instead, you will like it more... just like if you look at Metroid Prime as a FPS you will most likely hate it...it's something else.
FunWithMatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FunWithMatches
Member since 2005 • 250 Posts

[QUOTE="FunWithMatches"]I'm a huge, huge fan of Advance Wars. It was one of the first games i picked up for the GBA when it first came out (man I miss that rectangle) and I played it honestly for hours at a time. My friends and I would duke it out with the cables and make our own D-Day maps and try and create impossible mazes full of heavy tanks and missile units. That's my main problem with this game. I love the switch from 2d strategy to the 3d world, but the complete lack of strategy and customization just doesn't put it up to par. I mean advance wars DS made me go out and buy a Lite just to play that game, only to beat it 3 times through then sell it all off 100% satisfied. So far I'm enjoying this one far more than the first battalion wars. The controls are much more intuitive and the tutorials actually teach you how to play the game. I kind of wish they did this game from the top down perspective like advance wars, then shift to the 3d combat when you move units or battalions into combat. That way you get the strategy aspect mixed with some kick-ass 3d action. It's a fun game, one of my favorites on the Wii thus far, but it doesn't have the stomping power of its little brother in my book. Also, and this is a big also....NO FREAKIN CO-OP. I mean how hard is it to put a line down the middle of a screen and allow two people to fight against each other? They could have done capture the flag, defend and attack, or even had mini scenarios where a small, pretty much pointless story is set up about one battalion fighting off another one for 20 minutes until reinforcements arrive. ANYTHING like that would have made this game the must own AAA title that it could have been. Advance wars was all about strategy and fighting against your friends. This series just hasn't seemed to figure that out. Sure there's online and if my interent at my university would work, it may answer that question, but all in all I just wish there was something to do with my roommates.dieworm
Wow dude first off, use the enter button. Secondly, I love AW. But I also recognize that BW is NOT a strategy game. It's a tactical squad based, 3rd person shooter hybrid. I think people are quick to label it as a strategy game because it was originally an Advance Wars game and is still part of the Wars series. If you don't look at it as a strategy game but an action game instead, you will like it more... just like if you look at Metroid Prime as a FPS you will most likely hate it...it's something else.

Ha, well when you start typing you just keep going, but this time i'll even indent in, just for you ( ;. Besides, I get enough of that from my profs, but onto your post, I understand your point, but I also think I'm allowed to post my opinion. Next, AW is known as strategy. They played the original BW as a mix of the two. BWii also played the game up as being a mix of both. Now I still love the BW games sincethey remind me of AW, I'm just trying to look into why this game maybe "flopped". For the hype this game got, especially with the forum posts and unions, there isn't a very big "WOW" reaction. I'm just voicing my opinion as to why the game was a flop in my book: mainly because with the wii controls, and the ads, they play it up as being a strategy game. (here, let me press enter for you)

The reason AW sells is because its about strategy and they attempted to grab those players and bring them over to BW. With 3rd person action games, strategy is big part of that. Look at GRAW,R6V, two games that play up as beingshooters with squads that both involve afair amount of strategy. Look at AW now, a strategy game that focuses primarily on tactics and brain power. Now, when you'rebranching off from a "strategy" genre that is know primarily for that reason, you NEED to keep some of that in to appeal to your base fans... otherwise you run the risk of alienating them. I like how you use the word "tactical" in your description. Tactics, Strategy... see, they even got you hooked in with the advertising. I love the game, I enjoy the action, the quirky story and commanders, but again, for the last time, I brain barely had to go into overdrive.

2good2betrue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 2good2betrue
Member since 2006 • 7791 Posts
To me, this game gave me everything i wanted not included in the original, i was really dieing for a good strategy game on the wii and found one in BWii, what more can i say. Online is a blast and so is single player.
A7Xfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#43 A7Xfan
Member since 2004 • 3962 Posts
No it was right on target for a typical sequel adding soe nice extras, but it still isn't quite what everyone wants. some things have to be fixed