Video Capture now Available on Switch!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

As the title says, the latest Switch firmware updates bring a number of extra features, and the most exciting (in my humble gamer opinion) is the ability to record up to 30 seconds of video and share on social media (or keep for yourself).

I LOVE the screenshot button on the remote, and now if you hold the button down, the last 30 seconds you played is recorded :D

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

a great feature. didn't really have a use for the screenshot because by the time i did something cool it was too late to take a screenshot. also taking screenshots on switch games isnt as cool because the graphics are usually not super duper amazing.

but the video record that is useful because if you did something cool you can push the button after you did it and it will be captured.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Aki2017

@KBFloYd: Can also take screenshots within the video itself :)

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KBFloYd

@aki2017 said:

@KBFloYd: Can also take screenshots within the video itself :)

nice. i didnt know that. now i can actually get cool screenshots.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#5 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Hate to be the wet towel, but in its current state, it's absolutely useless. It only works with about four titles, and well... it's 30 seconds. That won't even cover a boss battle. I mean, I'm glad that Nintendo is trying, but this is so half-assed, they might have well have just skipped the feature altogether. There are some major moments in gaming that span a great deal longer than 30 seconds, and those moments are going to have to be kept inside of the memories of those gamers for now.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KBFloYd

@JustPlainLucas said:

Hate to be the wet towel, but in its current state, it's absolutely useless. It only works with about four titles, and well... it's 30 seconds. That won't even cover a boss battle. I mean, I'm glad that Nintendo is trying, but this is so half-assed, they might have well have just skipped the feature altogether. There are some major moments in gaming that span a great deal longer than 30 seconds, and those moments are going to have to be kept inside of the memories of those gamers for now.

are you suggesting that the switch DVR record every moment of your gameplay that you can later edit? lol that is impossible. you would need terabytes of space or more. if you want to show something like a boss fight you have to pre plan it and record it with recording devices and software.

the 30sec is just for quick highpoints.... like making a difficult jump on mario odyssey... or the last critical hit on a enemy in mario odyssey. that last second photo finish on mario kart 8.

i think you are un realistic on what consoles can do to record your entire play session.

as for only a few games using it....yes you are right this needs to be in EVERY game.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JustPlainLucas

@KBFloYd said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

are you suggesting that the switch DVR record every moment of your gameplay that you can later edit? lol that is impossible. you would need terabytes of space or more. if you want to show something like a boss fight you have to pre plan it and record it with recording devices and software.

the 30sec is just for quick highpoints.... like making a difficult jump on mario odyssey... or the last critical hit on a enemy in mario odyssey. that last second photo finish on mario kart 8.

i think you are un realistic on what consoles can do to record your entire play session.

as for only a few games using it....yes you are right this needs to be in EVERY game.

Did not suggest that at all. But CERTAINLY more than 30 seconds. Like I said, 30 seconds can't even fit a boss a battle in. Let's say I had an epic fight with a lynel in Zelda. I'm obviously not going to have a second to vid cap that fight while in the heat of battle. Now that I beat the thing, I vid cap, and most of the epic fight didn't get captured. Let's say a Grand Theft Auto game makes it to the Switch. A single mission in one of those games can feature multitudes of great and hilarious moments. Sure, you could capture them 30 seconds at time, but you're going to post several shares from just one mission. You're going to flood your friends' feeds. It's monotonous.

I also vid cap a TON on the PS4, and I barely kept more than four gigs of videos at a time. The PS4 only keeps 15 minutes of video at any given time (last to my knowledge) until you edit and save. The Switch could have at least done five.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KBFloYd

@JustPlainLucas said:
@KBFloYd said:

Did not suggest that at all. But CERTAINLY more than 30 seconds. Like I said, 30 seconds can't even fit a boss a battle in. Let's say I had an epic fight with a lynel in Zelda. I'm obviously not going to have a second to vid cap that fight while in the heat of battle. Now that I beat the thing, I vid cap, and most of the epic fight didn't get captured. Let's say a Grand Theft Auto game makes it to the Switch. A single mission in one of those games can feature multitudes of great and hilarious moments. Sure, you could capture them 30 seconds at time, but you're going to post several shares from just one mission. You're going to flood your friends' feeds. It's monotonous.

I also vid cap a TON on the PS4, and I barely kept more than four gigs of videos at a time. The PS4 only keeps 15 minutes of video at any given time (last to my knowledge) until you edit and save. The Switch could have at least done five.

so ps4 records 15min? i didn't know that. i think nintendo just wanted to capture the single moment. instead of capturing the whole affair. i actually prefer the 30sec. it can be pushed right after you do something cool... then you can look at it and find the moment really fast as opposed to wadding through 15min of footage.

but it would be cool if in the system menu nintendo gave you the option to have 30sec recording or 5min/10min/15min. to let you choose.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JustPlainLucas

@KBFloYd said:

so ps4 records 15min? i didn't know that. i think nintendo just wanted to capture the single moment. instead of capturing the whole affair. i actually prefer the 30sec. it can be pushed right after you do something cool... then you can look at it and find the moment really fast as opposed to wadding through 15min of footage.

but it would be cool if in the system menu nintendo gave you the option to have 30sec recording or 5min/10min/15min. to let you choose.

Yeah, I'd definitely be up for that if they let you record longer. And I get the single moments, but trust me, if you love to share your gameplay, it's far more convenient to load fewer longer videos, I guess depending on the game. When I played Amazing Spider-Man 2 on the PS4, I ended up sharing a tour of New York that was over eight minutes long. Lots of cool web swinging moves, beautiful scenery, rescues, fights, all sorts of stuff. Uploading over 16 30 second clips would have driven me nuts, and I just wouldn't bother anymore.

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Rovelius
Member since 2006 • 3252 Posts

The PS4's actual recording limit is 60 minutes, but the option to change the default recording length is kind of hidden.

As for how I feel about this... meh. 30 seconds is way too short. Once again, Nintendon't.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Aki2017

@JustPlainLucas said:

It is short, depending what you want to use it for, but Nintendo has stated they plan to extend the length. So in future it will be more than 30 seconds. As for titles, yeah it seems to needs to be manually added, but naturally that number will go up

bitgamingduo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bitgamingduo
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

I haven't yet purchased a Switch because I had just bought the Wii U two years ago. It's great that Nintendo is adding the video option on the Switch, but as a result, they removed that option from the Wii U, which is really frustrating to me. Before, you could use the "Miiverse" on the Wii U to post screen shots and videos from some games and now that function (as well as a few others) are gone since Nintendo discontinued the "Miiverse" Service on November 7th. :/ I love Nintendo games, but kind of feels like I wasted my money on the Wii U since the Switch was released