VC Releases for 06/11/07. (A Lode of Sega Sequals...)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts
WII-KLY UPDATE: THREE NEW CLAS-SIC GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

June 11, 2007

Seems like these days everybody's just running around, grabbing whatever they can for themselves. Some are after gold nuggets, some want rings and some are trying to recover a stolen axe. Doesn't anybody talk anymore? Why don't you grab a few warm cookies, pour yourself a glass of cold milk and fire up the WiiTM? We'll play games and tell stories from simpler times.

Three new clas-sic games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the Wii Shop Channel every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii PointsTM to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Lode Runner® (NES®, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): This landmark action-puzzle game has been a worldwide fixture in video games from the moment of its inception until today, producing many sequels and related products along the way. The player controls the hero, or "Runner," who collects gold nuggets located around every stage, all the while avoiding capture by enemy robots. The action itself is simple, but the stages are designed as increasingly challenging puzzles, and none of the 50 stages is as easy as it seems. The Runner avoids enemies by digging holes in the floor to the right and left of his position-by doing this, he can clear a path to places that, at first glance, seem unreachable. Players must use their brains to collect all the gold nuggets in every puzzling stage if they want to escape to the next. In addition to normal play, this version of the game features an Edit Mode that allows players to design their own stages, adding a new level of enjoyment to the game.

Sonic the HedgehogTM 2 (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Dr. Eggman (aka Dr. Robotnik) is back to continue his zealous search for the Chaos Emeralds needed to fuel his new Death Egg contraption. The evil doctor secretly follows Sonic to his vacation spot, Westside Island, and launches a full-scale attack, imprisoning all the helpless animals of the island and turning them into mindless worker drones. Now Sonic must thwart the doctor's plans at all costs. This time he isn't alone, as a peculiar two-tailed fox named Miles Prower (aka Tails) decides to aid him in the battle. Together they must locate the Chaos Emeralds before Dr. Eggman does, and put an end to his diabolical scheme.

Golden AxeTM II (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older - Fantasy Violence, 800 Wii Points): Not long after the devastating reign of the wicked Death Adder, another evil arose. Dark Guld and his minions invaded and took hold of the prized Golden Axe with plans to destroy it. Once again, as a fierce barbarian named Ax-Battler, a fearless female Amazon known as Tyris-Flare or a ferocious dwarf named Gilius Thunderhead, you will wield steely swords and powerful magic in an all-out war to recover the sword. Once you slash your way through the six side-scrolling levels, you'll get the chance to defeat Dark Guld once and for all.

Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts
Oh well none for me
Avatar image for NintendoMaster3
NintendoMaster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NintendoMaster3
Member since 2004 • 511 Posts

What a week for Sega! I'll definately be getting Sonic 2 and Golden Axe II. (I never played Golden Axe II, I'm looking forward to playing it.)

CerMakAlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CerMakAlot
Member since 2006 • 560 Posts
Damn, i was hoping for phantasy star 2 when i saw sega sequels.
harleyrulesall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 harleyrulesall
Member since 2005 • 1617 Posts
no paper mario yet. But i'll get sonic and golden axe:D
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Thanls, Leo. You're always on top of the latest VC releases. I think I want Sonic 2. Sonic 1 is the only VC release that my wife plays.
bryehngeocef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#7 bryehngeocef
Member since 2003 • 2281 Posts

I wonder how much it'll end up costing to own the games found on the sub $20 "SEGA Genesis Collection" on PS2?

And didn't they already release the good version of Lode Runner? Battle Lode Runner on TG-16?

Another emprty week for me. Think I'll go check Wal-Mart for Big Brain.

LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts
Lame. The only game on there thta catches my interest is Sonic 2, but I have that on Sonic Mega Collection.
Rockingtime75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rockingtime75
Member since 2006 • 805 Posts
The Sega Genesis Collection renders a large amount of the Sega VC games a ripoff, at least if you buy them all. For 20 dollars you can get 30 Genesis games on one disc.
littlefugue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 littlefugue
Member since 2003 • 369 Posts

Sonic 2 is one of the best platformers ever released. It's the Sonic franchise's Super Mario Bros. 3, and it's always fun to play through.

However, it's on the Sonic Mega Collection for GC, along with Sonic, Sonic 3, and Sonic & Knuckles. (Not to mention Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Sonic Spinball, and others!)

WHY WOULD ANYONEPAY $8 FOR THIS STANDALONE GAME WHEN THEY COULD GET ALL THAT FOR NOT MUCH MORE?

Excuse me. . . .

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Is it me or the ennemies on Lode Runner are Bomberman on the NES?

It's nothing for me this week.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

The Sega Genesis Collection renders a large amount of the Sega VC games a ripoff, at least if you buy them all. For 20 dollars you can get 30 Genesis games on one disc.Rockingtime75

The problem of this compilation is that there's no Sonic 3, Wonder Boy, Dynamite Headdy and Revenge of Shinobi. Also, it's an excuse for Sega for not supporting the online service of the PS3. Also, 80% of the games on the compilationare not worth to play.

Remember, Sega announced to have Genesis games on both XBL and the Virtual Console.

bradglimpse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bradglimpse
Member since 2003 • 838 Posts

I'm going to pass on the VC games this week.I played those games enough the first time.

slayerver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#14 slayerver1
Member since 2004 • 594 Posts
Sonic 2 is arguably the best Sonic of the series so I'll buy it if I get more Wii points or wait for it on XBLA since I made that mistake with Sonic 1 and Streets of Rage 2.
alpax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 alpax
Member since 2006 • 696 Posts
Cool! I will grab all three releases.
reggie186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 reggie186
Member since 2004 • 3910 Posts
Nothing for me this week :)
clarkeyboy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 clarkeyboy21
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts
Thanks for that I wanted to know whats gonna come out. I really appretiate it.
Avatar image for mariomusicmaker
mariomusicmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 mariomusicmaker
Member since 2006 • 1426 Posts
yay something new for me! gonna try out golden axe!
Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 315

#19 Gamer46
Member since 2003 • 11304 Posts

I'll download Sonic 2, don't really care for the other games.