TWSJ: Netflix Developing a LiveAction Legend of Zelda Series

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

“The Legend of Zelda,” one of the most popular videogame series of all time, is in the works as a television show at Netflix.

The video streaming service is in the early stages of developing a live action series based on “Zelda,” about an ordinary boy named Link who must rescue a princess named Zelda and save a fantasy world called Hyrule, said a person familiar with the matter. As it seeks writers to work on the show,Netflix is describing it as “Game of Thrones” for a family audience, this person said.

The “Zelda” games have traditionally included swords and sorcery, like “Game of Thrones” or “Lord of the Rings,” but typically with a more light-hearted, kid-friendly tone.

Netflix is said to be working closely with Nintendo, the Japanese game developer that has made about 20 “The Legend of Zelda” games since the original, which was released in the U.S. in 1987.

Nintendo is very protective of its intellectual property and has allowed few adaptations over the years. An animated “Legend of Zelda” series ran for just one season in 1989. A 1993 movie based on Nintendo’s “Super Mario Bros.” was an infamous bomb.

As it is still seeking a writer to work on the series, Netflix has a long road to travel before a “Legend of Zelda” series actually becomes a reality. It’s also possible that Netflix or Nintendo will kill the project before it gets off the ground.

A Netflix spokeswoman declined to comment. A Nintendo spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Currently a rumor so take it with a grain of salt.

Opinions?

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

I support this if this magically turns out to be true. If a true fan is working on this I know they won't mess it up.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

This could be interesting if done correctly but how would they keep the show going once the princess is saved? And who would be playing Midna?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Very interesting but I still doubt it will happen.

@nini200 It's not really about saving princess Zelda per se, but saving Hyrule (or Termina, Lorule, etc.) and preventing evil from taking over (keeping the balance between good and evil). So they can play with the idea of Ganondorf talking over cities and other minor storylines.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

Maybe they would do a season or half a season or whatever based on each game? One season in Hyrule, one on the Great Sea, one in Termina...

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

I wonder if it going to be good.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

If it happens I'm wondering if Link will still be a mute, considering that the last time we heard him speak it wasn't in the most flattering materials.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

This has potential to be really bad.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess!

-Byshop

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

Worst idea ever Nintendo. Please no!

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

I see another Super Mario Bros. movie in the making. Quite frankly, Nintendo and movies/shows never really mixed well.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

its not going to work.

out of all the IPs nintendo has zelda is probably one of the worst they can use. you cant have a good TV show where the main character is mute. some movies have tried it....they are awful.

i can see why nintendo is doing it. no harm trying to expand to different areas and they have had success (and a long history) in having their IP on the TV.

its just zelda is the wrong choice.

kid icarus... now thats a whole different ball game. they actually do have proven voice actors who do an excellent job (its the only nintendo game i can think of where they actually nailed the voice acting) and they have played around with anime and CGI for that and it works. get the team who made legend of korra involved in its production and i think it could be brilliant.

thinkcap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thinkcap
Member since 2015 • 54 Posts

I don't doubt that this will be a quality program if put together. Netflix has produced great works- such as the acclaimed House of Cards (US).

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#14 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

The 'Game of Thrones' description ruined it for me if the live-action-ness didn't already. But it's still in rumour mode as far as I know.