Twilight Princess: The cave of ordeals just ruined my day

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 0

#1 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts

WARNING! CONTAINS SPOILERS!

I was actually liking the cave of ordeals, esspecially when I found out that the great fairy was actually in this game! I made it past like three checkpoints (you know, those fairy fountains that don't have anything helpful) and was starting to get worried as my arrow supply was running low, my heart count was about half way down, and I just used my bottle of fairy tears that I was going to use on a special occasion. After I go past the third fountain (figured it would be useless turining back at this point) I get caught in this really annoying glitch where I was stuck in an ambush of 3 deku plants who would immediatly eat me as soon as I escaped. Then I had to fight those annoying skeleton guys that make everything go in slow motion when they get too close- and I was a wolf so I couldn't change back into a human because of the slow motion nonsense. That room left me with like 1.5 hearts. Two rooms later I used all of my bombs and arrows trying to kill those stupid ice guys that throw spears at you, only to get killed trying to kill 'em with my ball and chain. I don't care what people say, twilight princess is hard!

There wasn't much point to this other than to say, the cave of ordeals gets really lame after the first hour, and that twilight princess is much more challenging than most make it out to be. Anyone agree?

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
The only parts about the difficulty that I found to be ridiculously easy were the boss battles; I don't find the game as "pathetically easy" as most say it is.Sure,the enemies could deliver a bit more damage and be a bit smarter,but it didn't get in the way of my enjoyment of the game.And the puzzles were just fine,and mostly met a "just right" difficulty for me.
Ishboy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ishboy12
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts
Some parts of TP are challenging no doubt, the bosses however (except for one) could have been made harder though. And I actually found the Cave to be fun :). You just have to tread carefully and plan every attack (I'd also recommend getting the largest quiver and bomb bag)
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Recover arrows by luring the archers on the towers to shoot at you, then running side to side to avoid getting hit. Fire arrows last long enough to be picked up and added to your inventory.

Unlock all the abilities before you enter, if I couldn't shield bash I would have lost way before the final 10 floors.

Bomb arrows are your friend. 60 bombs X 3 bags is 180 of the second most powerful attack in the game.

Finally, finish as many side quests as you can stomach. You need nearly every item to finish the dungeon.

The cave is the best challenge Zelda offered, I still can't believe I played it for 50 hours in a single week.

blahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blahzor
Member since 2005 • 2287 Posts

The only parts about the difficulty that I found to be ridiculously easy were the boss battles; I don't find the game as "pathetically easy" as most say it is.Sure,the enemies could deliver a bit more damage and be a bit smarter,but it didn't get in the way of my enjoyment of the game.And the puzzles were just fine,and mostly met a "just right" difficulty for me.VGobbsesser

Completely agree. And even though the boss battles were generally easy, they were too much fun for me to care otherwise.

Anyways, the cave can get tough. It was very enjoyable, especially replaying it with minimal equipment upgrades and three hearts(i admit to not making it through with only 3 hearts and min equpid, but you may have inspired me to go give it another shot!!). I found the cave really proved how diverse link can be. Where i would have generally attacked baddies with my sword and sheild, in order to make it through the cave succesfully i ended up developing different strategies utilising different weapons to make my way through, like using the ball and chain against redeads. A worthy challenge, and a fun one!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5967f36c08c33

And I actually found the Cave to be fun :). You just have to tread carefully and plan every attack (I'd also recommend getting the largest quiver and bomb bag)Ishboy12

There are some exploits to make the Cave of Ordeals relatively easy.This gives infinite bombs and arrows until you reset the game,and this one makes it so that you can pretty much walk through the entire thing with only defeating a fraction of the amount of enemies needed.

SER69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SER69
Member since 2003 • 7096 Posts
Ah yes! I hated that cave and when it was over I was like WTF?! That's it!!?!?!?!?
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

As VG was linking to, there is a trick so you can make it to the next room without defeating the enemies. Beware that they may follow you through though... [spoiler] use your boomerang to blow out the torches before hopping down. That will open the door in the next room. [/spoiler]

To defeat the "skeleton guys" (redeads, right?) use your ball-and-chain. You don't have to be very close to them at all. Fire it so it goes through them. It will hit them once on the extension of the ball on the chain, and hit them a second time upon retraction. You'll kill them from a distance with one action. They're not as scary when you approach it like that. Use the ball-and-chain on the ice guys too. First deal with the lancers and make sure to keep your shield up! Then deal with the wind-blowers.

Make sure you have all the quiver upgrades and don't use arrows when you can use other weapons. You can refill hearts in the cave by turning into a wolf and using your special dog vision to look for sparkly dig spots in each room.

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

TP was the easiest (possibly 2nd behind WW) Zelda by far. Yes, The CoO did present a challenge somewhat. But a sidequest (I would call it a side challenge) that does nothing but unlock more health that one doesn't need in the first place is just a disapointment imo.

That along with the Magic Armour/unlimited rupees fiasco made the game a non-contender when it could've went down as a good Zelda game.

The only thing that saved the game somewhat imo, was the story...and that was even flawed.

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts
Get the largest arrow bag, 3 bomb bags, and 4 jars of the better potions. Make sure everything is full. For the slow motion guys, use 2 bomb arrows and they will go down easily. Also, before jumping down look at all the enemies and plan your attacks and if possible, kill them from up there. Use bomb arrows on the ice skeletons also.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts
On my first try I died on the very last floor. I havn't tried the cave since.
Chojuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chojuto
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
That cave is really fun if you're not really trying to get to the last floor, but are just playing it to kill enemies.
blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blankshore
Thanks for the tips. I actually have beaten the game, have all the secret sword moves and have the largest quiver. I'm just sort of going through and getting all the stuff I missed. I never knew till like three days ago that you could actually fix the bridge of eldin (I was playing that level and brawl and I was like, "hey wait a minute here...") What's this trick someone mentioned about making it through a door without killing all the enemies?
blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blankshore

^^^

Never mind. Didn't realize that if you hit that spoiler thing stuff shows up. How do you do that?

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

Am I the only one that thinks that it's really funny that you used the fair tears that you were saving to get through the Cave of Ordeals and then didn't make it?

Sorry. But yeah, the Cave was difficult, I'll give you that. But that was only because you had to go through somany levels. None of the levels were very hard on their own. Nobody is ever like "Oh man, level 36 was the thoughest one. I thought level 19 was bad." Nothing about TP was ever difficult.

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blankshore

Am I the only one that thinks that it's really funny that you used the fair tears that you were saving to get through the Cave of Ordeals and then didn't make it?

Sorry. But yeah, the Cave was difficult, I'll give you that. But that was only because you had to go through somany levels. None of the levels were very hard on their own. Nobody is ever like "Oh man, level 36 was the thoughest one. I thought level 19 was bad." Nothing about TP was ever difficult.

Arc2012

Well the only reason I was saving it is because it seemed liked something that may be of use later on- it was a rare item and I figured that I was probably supposed to trade it with someone to get something. I don't know. It is kind of funny looking back, though. Not haha funny, but whatever. Glad my huge embarrasing failiure was of amusement to you :)

evrdayblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 evrdayblues
Member since 2005 • 512 Posts
Wind waker also had one such level if I'm not mistaken. It was like a maze of chambers with many doors in each, and at the end you have to fight a bunch of those armored knights. I died at the very end and never tried again. As for the chamber of ordeals, I'm not sure how far I made it, but I made it past the part were you need the wheel board, and died...good times :)
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts
[QUOTE="Arc2012"]

blankshore

Well the only reason I was saving it is because it seemed liked something that may be of use later on- it was a rare item and I figured that I was probably supposed to trade it with someone to get something. I don't know. It is kind of funny looking back, though. Not haha funny, but whatever. Glad my huge embarrasing failiure was of amusement to you :)

Well have you made it to the end of the cave yet? You might laugh then.
widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#19 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts
I actually found the dungeons and bosses on Twilight Princess ridiculously easy, but I must admit that I struggled with the cave of ordeals.
widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#20 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts
What do you actually get at the end of the cave, I had one go at it and haven't been on Twilight Princess since.
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

I found TP very tough but managed to complete it :) Some people may say its easy, but I really felt like I achieved something when I finished it because I have a really hard time solving puzzles based on logic and there's quite a few of those in TP :P

Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

Recover arrows by luring the archers on the towers to shoot at you, then running side to side to avoid getting hit. Fire arrows last long enough to be picked up and added to your inventory.

Unlock all the abilities before you enter, if I couldn't shield bash I would have lost way before the final 10 floors.

Bomb arrows are your friend. 60 bombs X 3 bags is 180 of the second most powerful attack in the game.

Finally, finish as many side quests as you can stomach. You need nearly every item to finish the dungeon.

The cave is the best challenge Zelda offered, I still can't believe I played it for 50 hours in a single week.

SirSpudly

Indeed, this helps greatly! And be sure to max out your supplies before you enter. Maybe take a few fairies along just in case.

Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

My big problem with TP is my save game takes me back to the begining of the cave I am in (the one with the lava) and I have to go through it all to try and complete it but I rarely get enough time to such a thing in one sitting and so give up trying to play the game. The save points should be the same at least as the checkpoints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

My big problem with TP is my save game takes me back to the begining of the cave I am in (the one with the lava) and I have to go through it all to try and complete it but I rarely get enough time to such a thing in one sitting and so give up trying to play the game. The save points should be the same at least as the checkpoints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nomad0404

If you can, try to just pause it and leave the game running. If you're playing the Wii version, you're controllers will automatically shut-off so you won't be wasting battery power. That's what I do on occation and I doubt the Wii will overheat if it's stored in a well-ventilated location.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
the only place i really had problems with is the last room [spoiler] the three armor knight guys at the same time, as soon as you get one of them open the other two hand you your face! [/spoiler] but this is what i did most of the time: when you enter the room, you're higher than everyone else. use that to your advantage (arrows, bomb arrows, clawshot, anything). after you take out alot of guys, take the rest out with your sword. after you complete a room, turn on your senses and look for digging areas that either contain 1 heart, 3 hearts, or a silver rupee. only a few rooms have diggables, but its still worth it. if you can, drop from the platform, dont jump. if you can get as close to the back wall as you can, you can lure the enemies close to you 1 or 2 at a time, which can help big time.
Maromii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maromii
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

well, if you bring all the fairies you can, and a full inventory, the cave wouldn't be a problem at all.. The 49th floor is the trickiest one, I think, with the knight guys that we all love SOOO much (-_-')

But with the Magic Armor that you bought from Malo, you shouldn't even break a sweat:D if u haven't used it before, DON'T forget to fill up on your rupees before entering the cave, and try not to use it until that very last floor^^

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

well, if you bring all the fairies you can, and a full inventory, the cave wouldn't be a problem at all.. The 49th floor is the trickiest one, I think, with the knight guys that we all love SOOO much (-_-') Maromii

I used to have so much trouble with the darknuts. Then I actually figured out how to do the backslash attack I had "mastered". If you do that to them and get their armour off one at a time, they're easy as pie. Give me 20 darknuts and 10 redeads over those few ice lancers and 2 blowers any day!

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blankshore
I almost don't even want to try again. I know the only thing I'm probably going to get is a piece of heart- I'm trying to get all of them anyway, but still. I wouldn't mind something just a little more rewarding. Could be wrong though, haven't actually gone back and tried again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
[QUOTE="Maromii"]

well, if you bring all the fairies you can, and a full inventory, the cave wouldn't be a problem at all.. The 49th floor is the trickiest one, I think, with the knight guys that we all love SOOO much (-_-') clicketyclick

I used to have so much trouble with the darknuts. Then I actually figured out how to do the backslash attack I had "mastered". If you do that to them and get their armour off one at a time, they're easy as pie. Give me 20 darknuts and 10 redeads over those few ice lancers and 2 blowers any day!

Heh,Dark Nuts are pushovers.:wink: