Trading in for a new switch: Account loss? Games?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46198 Posts

Hey guys and gals

I ended up taking the plunge this week and bought the awesome switch system.

To my surprise though, things didn't go as planned and I got home and there were these spots on my screen. These spots are a really big issue so I'll be returning the Switch to the store as soon as I have some free time in the next few days.

Now I'm left with a few questions, as I don't have any experience with this:

-My nintendo account and user account are tied to this system. Can I transfer them?
-What would happen to my games and my Eshop purchase if I wouldn't be able to transfer them?

I hope I do get to trade mine in for a new switch, because the one I have purchased this week is broken.

Is there anyone with some experience with this? I would really appreciate the help!

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22453

I hope this helps and if you are not able to transfer your games and eshop purchase they will be gone unless you have a Nintendo membership meaning you can have them in the cloud.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By R4gn4r0k

Thanks for the help mate!

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wolfpup7
Member since 2004 • 1930 Posts

My understanding is you can go into the menus and like deactivate it (deauthorize? Whatever term they use) then should be able to activate a new one.

You’d want to anyway so hopefully your account isn’t stored on the system. Format it or whatever afterwards (and maybe change your Nintendo password?)

My understanding is Nintendo FINALLY made switch work as well as a PlayStation, where they’ve been ridiculous on past systems. (I lost over $100 when my first Wii died)

I’m not sure what happened if a switch (or PlayStation) dies without you able to deactivate it though. (Xbox I think you just have to wait x number of months?)

And that screen thing definitely sounds defective. My launch unit’s screen even is just fine.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k

I bought my switch in the pack that the store was offering. It included:

- a screen protector preinstalled

- the system

- mario kart 8

This bundle was way cheaper than buying the switch with MK8 seperate so I thought what the heck?

The screen protector just looks really lazily applied and I think is the cause of the spots on the screen... I've never had a faulty Nintendo product in my life. Even my Gameboy still runs fine.

But anyway yeah, I think my best bet is to deactivate this current switch on my account, get a new one and then activate the new one.

Really appreciate you guys helping me so far ;)

greenmario27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 greenmario27
Member since 2019 • 3 Posts

There's a tutorial by a guy called Austin John Plays which explains it really nicely on YouTube. It has to do with setting your primary system to the new switch and something along those lines.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

I was glad to find out that I did not lose any of the games I purchased on Eshop, which would've been the case if this were a WiiU or Wii.

Only way to keep savegames is indeed by transfering your system, or by paying for online.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

They better have moved on from the tied to the system bullshit. Lost games when my Wii U dies, this followed with two fingers up to Nintendo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Yeah, you can deactivate a system from your account if you go online on your system...which I guess you found out lol.

I did want to note that some Switch games don't have cloud saves. This includes Splatoon 2 and I think Pokemon. Splatoon 2 is a really weird case - it is completely tied to the system.