Top 3 Essential Wii U Titles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BasedIwata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BasedIwata
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

Not really feeling Bayonetta 2 honestly, so I'm going to exclude that one. The Spice Girl's music and the runway model protagonist that goes naked when attacking just puts me off buying it.

Smash Bros Wii U?
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate?
Super Mario 3D World?
Hyrule Warriors?

I think Mario Kart 8 online is nearly dead at this point.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I haven't played Bayonetta 2 yet (playing through the first one at the moment), so I'll leave it off the list for now.

• Mario Kart 8
  • Pikmin 3
  • Super Mario 3D World

Next I'd consider is probably Donkey Kong TF.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I find it unfair to name the top three essential games when many of us have different tastes, so I'll just name the essentials for each of the Wii U's strongest genres.

Party games: Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros Wii U, NintendoLand

Platformers: Super Mario 3D World, Shovel Knight, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Action: Bayonetta 1+2, Hyrule Warriors

Strategy: Pikmin 3 because it's that good.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

In terms of pure Nintendo titles:

1. Super Mario World 3D
  2. Pikmin 3
  3. Super Smash Bros (I'm assuming it's going to be amazeballs)

Games like Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors are great, great games (and might be even more essential arguably), but I'm going with solely Nintendo published/released.

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts

Mario Kart 8 online definitely isn't dead by now, Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 on 3DS Still have very active online communities this many years later.

My top 3 essential Wii U-exclusive games that I've played are:

1. Super Mario 3D World (I tend to really enjoy 3D Mario platforming games and this one is great. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a hard act to follow!)

2. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (I didn't play through the Gamecube release of this but I had a blast with the upgraded version.)

3. Mario Kart 8 (Cool improvements from the last games and the online options keep getting better. A game like this will last me for many hours and years with online and local multiplayer.)

I've gotta give a shout out to Call of Duty: Ghosts on Wii U because I love playing those games with the Wii remote and nunchuk control setup. I've heard amazing things about Pikmin 3 but have yet to play it. Rayman Legends is supposed to be bomb on Wii U. Also a game called Stealth Inc. 2 got released a couple days ago exclusively for the Wii U eShop, and that's getting top-notch reviews. Watch_Dogs is coming out for Wii U soon if you haven't played through that yet. Odds are it might be the best version thanks to the gamepad controls and off-tv play. Another one that isn't exclusive to this console but has gotten a lot of acclaim is Shovel Knights, also on the eShop.

If you want an action game like Bayonetta 2 without the vulgarity I'd check out The Wonderful 101. It's a cool title with interesting mechanics and a lot of humorous dialogue.

Edit: Oh and yes Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is an excellent game. It might be worth just waiting for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate to get released outside of Japan if you have a 3DS.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

If half of all Wii U owners have Mario Kart 8, why would you assume that the online is dead?...

Either way I'll give you my 3.

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2 (yes it is that good that I would recommend it to anyone regardless)...

But Monster Hunter, Pikmin 3, are great too. Then of course Smash when it releases.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#7 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
@trugs26 said:

I haven't played Bayonetta 2 yet (playing through the first one at the moment), so I'll leave it off the list for now.

• Mario Kart 8
  • Pikmin 3
  • Super Mario 3D World

Next I'd consider is probably Donkey Kong TF.

I fully second this list!

I would replace Pikmin 3 with Tropical Freeze. However, for the sake of variety, putting Pikmin 3 in there makes a lot of sense. It's a great game with a surprisingly awesome multiplayer mode.

starcrafthenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 starcrafthenry
Member since 2008 • 94 Posts

If we're talking about games exclusive to Wii U, I would say

• Lego City: Undercover
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Mario Kart 8

If we're not limiting ourselves to just exclusive titles, I also enjoyed the following games very much on Wii U

• Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Deus Ex
  • Assassin's Creed 4

Of course I've enjoyed other titles on the Wii U, but these games really stood out to me. Also, I know I already listed six games, but I just thought of one more.

• Shovel Knight

It's very reminiscent of the old Mega Man games to me.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Top 3:

• Pikmin 3
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Bayonetta 2 + 1 (until Super Smash Bros for Wii U arrives)
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

smahs bros

mario kart

and....monster hunter 3 ultuimate

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Looks like it's pretty clear (judging from people's posts) that Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 are among the top 3 essential games, leaving the third game up for debate.

bruno_fmenedes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 2

#12 bruno_fmenedes
Member since 2005 • 550 Posts

I don't have WiiU yet, but for me the games that I most want to buy for it are: Bayonetta 1+2; Super Mario 3D World; and Mario Kart 8.

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SloganYams
Member since 2010 • 981 Posts

I'm only going to list games that are already released (so no Smash Bros... yet), but for me they'd be:

3: Super Mario 3D World

2: Mario Kart 8

1: DKC: Tropical Freeze

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I don't currently have a Wii U, but I can say the 3 primary games I'm purchasing it for are:

1. Pikmin 3
  2. Smash Bros Wii U
  3. Bayonetta 2
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

1. Super Smash Bros

2. Mario Kart 8

3. Super Mario 3D World

All are amazing games and I don't think any other 3 could take their spot. Pikmin 3 is great but its short and is not for everyone.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Super Smash Bros. 4
jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@basediwata: I'd pick 3D World, DK Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, and Mario Kart 8.

If you own a Wii U and don't own these games, I'm not really sure why you even bought one before this point.

Also, MK8 is FAR from dead online. Get outta here with that nonsense.

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

I agree with you on bayonetta 2.

My top 3 would be;

1. DK tropical freeze

2. Pikmin 2

3. Mario kart 8

3d world was awful imo.

BooNintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BooNintendo
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

The wiiu doesnt have many good games but here are the best. family party 30 great games obstavle arcade, barbie dreamhouse party and hminsoer i mean monster high 13 wishes

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

smahs bros

mario kart

and....monster hunter 3 ultuimate

pretty much

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

1.- Bayonetta 2, period. That game alone is enough to justify a WiiU since is hands down the best game available on the console, is so amazing, so perfect, so great...i mean, if having the best action game ever made is not considered an essential WiiU game, then no other game is.

2 .- Super Mario 3D World. this game is no other thing than Nintendo being Nintendo, there is nothing else to describe how fun this game is.

3.- Super Mario Kart 8. Easily the best Mario Kart game in a long, long time.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

super Mario 3d world

Mario kart 8

smash bros

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I played the demo of pikmin 3 and not so sure about it. The time limit is all i could think about and it hindered my exploring big time.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@basediwata:

1) Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. This is the #1 reason anybody should own a Wii U right now. It's a masterpiece in every way. It's one of the very best games I have ever played. I simply cannot praise this game enough. A 10/10 if I've ever played one.

2) Pikmin 3: this is a game of careful planning and time management. You have to be efficient and smart if you want to beet your best times in the challenge mode or cut down on the amount of in game days it takes you to save koppai from starvation.

3) Smash Bros. for Wii U: This is local multiplayer bliss. It's great for the most casual and the most dedicated gamer.

These three represent a great deal of variety and are of the utmost quality. You also cannot go wrong with Mario 3D World.

It's unfortunate that you are turned away from Bayonetta 2 as it is one of the most exceptionally designed games out there. It's the best of its genre and should not be missed by anyone who enjoys action gaming. I'd put it on my list if you didn't say you eliminated it already.

On a side note, I'd avoid Mario Kart 8 if you're a competitive type. Winning in that game is heavily reliant on the random items you and the others get. It can be silly fun locally, but playing against strangers online or against the CPUs has almost no merit whatsoever. Easily the worst title Nintendo released this year.

Klyern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 Klyern
Member since 2004 • 233 Posts

I still haven't bought my Wii U which might not qualify me for this but im very familiar with these games, so..

1) Xenoblade Chronicles X (im in the "generally won't play a jrpg if it doesn't have dual audio" bootcamp, but Xenoblade Chronicles X is just too huge to miss out on even without dual audio)

2) Super Smash Bros. (it has 8 player vs and a lot of customization compared to the previous titles)

3) ZombiU, looks good, still haven't played it but most honest reviewers i know said its a decent enough game, its not a triple A production but its still worth buying, and that the gamepad mechanics are enthralling, that plus footage of the game makes me think its good at least for single player).

After that, i'd say Mario Party and Nintendo Land, they are quite good. There are a lot of other decent picks but most aren't for everyone, i think the games i talk about are pretty standard genres. Pickmin for example is good but i wouldn't recommend it to someone who has yet to try the franchise. Mario Kart 8 and SM3DW are games i have yet to play too, and i read bland negative reviews for both (meaning they aren't that great), so i'll pass on commenting on them aside from recommending you check reviews for both before buying them.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Sorry guys this is a necro thread. I'm gonna lock this thread, but if anyone wants to build a new essential list that would be fine. There are some real gems that came out since this thread was created.