Too good to be true? VC game transfers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ekalbtwin (1044 posts) -

Sorry if this has already been answered but I have been hearing a rumor that games downloaded on the Wii will be able to transfer over to the Wii U. I dug around for a bit and can't seem to find anything that actually confirms this. Anyone actually have official statements that support this? Thanks for any intel.

#2 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

It's not a rumor, it's a fact.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
#3 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30973 posts) -

Link

Back at E3 2012, our own Samit Sarkar reported an interesting tidbit of news: Nintendo was "working" on the ability to transfer old Wii digital software over to the Wii U. Well, as of today, we finally have an answer. According to Nintendo, "all" Virtual Console and WiiWare games will transfer over to the Wii U. Additionally, Nintendo wanted to remind us that there's no GameCube backwards compatibility available on the Wii U (probably so they can sell you digital GameCube games). This is not only big news because Nintendo has finally officially confirmed this process, but the fact that everything will transfer is huge. Hell, Sony still hasn't allowed the transfer of 100% of the PSP digital library to the Vita. Sadly, we don't have exact details as to how or when this process will happen.

#4 Posted by GamerEye (1607 posts) -

Link

Back at E3 2012, our own Samit Sarkar reported an interesting tidbit of news: Nintendo was "working" on the ability to transfer old Wii digital software over to the Wii U. Well, as of today, we finally have an answer. According to Nintendo, "all" Virtual Console and WiiWare games will transfer over to the Wii U. Additionally, Nintendo wanted to remind us that there's no GameCube backwards compatibility available on the Wii U (probably so they can sell you digital GameCube games). This is not only big news because Nintendo has finally officially confirmed this process, but the fact that everything will transfer is huge. Hell, Sony still hasn't allowed the transfer of 100% of the PSP digital library to the Vita. Sadly, we don't have exact details as to how or when this process will happen.

Nintendo_Ownes7

From what I hear it will be similar to how you can transfer data from DSi to 3DS or 3DS to 3DS. But I don't know.

Also I'm pretty sure that on the WiiU's eShop you will be able to buy the VC and Wiiware games that were avalible on the Wii's shop.

#5 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
Yes, you will be able to transfer it. The problem is with saved data. They haven't said anything about that topic.
#6 Posted by despa1r_fact0r (24611 posts) -

Yes, you will be able to transfer it. The problem is with saved data. They haven't said anything about that topic.Rod90
No offical word yet, but since the WiiU will use SD cards the VC saves should be able to be stored/moved with them.

#7 Posted by thetravman (3592 posts) -

Any word that the games will be linked to an account? I hate to worry of losing all my purchased games when my Wii U decides to die.

#8 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rod90"]Yes, you will be able to transfer it. The problem is with saved data. They haven't said anything about that topic.despa1r_fact0r

No offical word yet, but since the WiiU will use SD cards the VC saves should be able to be stored/moved with them.

What about saved data of wiiware games? We are "assuming" a lot of stuff, but Nintendo hasn't said a single thing about this.
#9 Posted by Megavideogamer (6368 posts) -

To good to be true. That this will be a smooth prossess. VC games can be tranfered to the Wii U. Would be nice if you could just put the SD card from the Wii to the Wii U. Nintendo will tie them to your account. And have a lot of hoop to jump through.

But at least it can be done.

#10 Posted by guard12 (2018 posts) -

Based on what I read on Nintendo's home website, it will be similar how you transfer stuff from DSi to 3DS and that you will need your Wii to transfer stuff to your Wii U. I have heard that they are working towards a solution if you don't have your Wii anymore but I am not holding my breath for that for launch. Plus, if thats the case they should let us do the same for our DS. Cause that would help me out since i lost all my DSiware after I traded in my ds for a 3ds.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
#11 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4971 posts) -
Yes you can transfer your downloaded library BUT you need your old Wii and the Wii U at the same time to do the transfer, Nintendo confirmed Sucks for people who've already traded in their Wii towards a Wii U, they're VC games are gone!
#12 Posted by AlmightyDerek (4144 posts) -

They did say it would transfer save files, although I hope that includes Smash Bros and Mario Kart Wii. At least if all else fails you could just copy your saves to and SD card and move them (at least all the non Wifi Connection ones).

#13 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
What made you think Nintendo wouldn't make this happen ...?
#14 Posted by ekalbtwin (1044 posts) -

What made you think Nintendo wouldn't make this happen ...?Haziqonfire
Nothing made me think it would not happen, but I never came across real links (til now) so did not want to get my hopes up that i would be able to transfer hundreds of dollars worth of my favorite old games onto my mew system.

#15 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8655 posts) -
[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]Yes you can transfer your downloaded library BUT you need your old Wii and the Wii U at the same time to do the transfer, Nintendo confirmed Sucks for people who've already traded in their Wii towards a Wii U, they're VC games are gone!

yea it does suck but they had to of known they would be gone.