To old for Pokemon?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nick36001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nick36001
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts

Iv been playing pokemon soulsilver and lately i kind of feel childish being 18 years old playing a pokemon game. Is it just me or am i to old for the game? Do you think you could ever be to old to play a Pokemon game or any game that is marketed to children for that matter? Just interested in your opinions.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Nope. Pokemon is a very fun, addictive and deep RPG. If you are serious about competition in the Pokemon games, it becomes very complex and deep, what with EV training, IVs, natures, movesets and whatnot. Not only that, but, speaking of childish things in general, if you enjoy it, why question it? For instance, if you still enjoy watching Spongebob, why stop? who says you can't? With video games, it's different. a game can be perceived as "childish" and still be of higher quality than an M rated game. (See: Both Super Mario Galaxy games.) So, no, I tihnk that you can't be too old for Pokemon or childish things in general. You still need to have fun as an adult and if that means playing Pokemon, why question it? I will likely still enjoy playing it when I'm 40.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Oh... this thread again.

If you enjoy Pokemon, play Pokemon. Worrying about your interests lining up with what everyone thinks your interests should be isn't very mature either.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Yes, pokemon IS targeted for kids, but that doesn't mean that the series has excellent games (at least until B&W).
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I have Pokemon white and I am 31 this year. Though my gf's 12 year bro says he is to old for it and just plays CoD zombie
inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Little kids love pokemon but I;m not so sure that its for kids as I once was. The mechincs are so deep a kids mind would explode. I'm 20 and I love pokemon.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Nah, play what you enjoy. Doesn't matter if you're in the target audience, plus sometime playing video games can be a time to relive that feeling of childhood.

And if you're worried about other people making assumptions or judgements on you playing pokemon, you can just keep it private anyhow.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
Nah, you're never too old for Pokémon. Infact, many original fans during the red, blue & yellow, are adults by now.
videog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 videog
Member since 2011 • 327 Posts

YOU THINK YOU'RE TOO OLD TO PLAY POKEMON

YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO PLAY POKEMON

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I'm 20 and I still play. You don't just feel "too old" for some things. If you enjoy it, then that is what matters.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#13 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Oh... this thread again.

If you enjoy Pokemon, play Pokemon. Worrying about your interests lining up with what everyone thinks your interests should be isn't very mature either.

Pixel-Perfect
Hah, reminds me of something one of the NPCs said in Persona 3. "The more you try to act like an adult the more you look like a kid" Something like that. :P
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
I just turned 28, just got married, in graduate school, and I still play pokemon fairly regularly. The only people that think they are too old to play Pokemon are too immature to realize that you are never too old for anything.
Mario_Eater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mario_Eater
Member since 2010 • 344 Posts
You're never too old to play pokemon. How could anyone be told old to play a great RPG game? I'm 18 and I'm still wishing that I could play the latest pokemon...
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I just might play some Pokemon tonight because of this thread lol
BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
There's nothing wrong with playing Pokemon games.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

don't be stupid...of course youcan play pokemon.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Rated E for everyone.
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
24 year-old grad student in civil engineering and I played the crap out of Black & White last year. Probably won't pick up B&W2, but that has nothing to do with any false sense of "(im)maturity." You're 18. You may feel old, but you're still really young. Who a game is targeted towards doesn't change the objective quality of it.
hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

apparently, you went backwards.

Heart Gold Sould Silver appealed to all the adults because of the Nostalgia, heck, Iwata showed in the charts that the adult rate rised Massively with HGSS, compared to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum whose audience were mostly kids.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

I'm 21 and bought HeartGold recently along with a bunch of other jRPGs with my new DSi XL. I don't know how much time I'll spend playing it, but I imagine I'll still get some fun out of it, despite it being quite lighthearted and aimed at a younger audience. I'm mainly looking for nostalgia though.

Avatar image for CrazyGamingJohn
CrazyGamingJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CrazyGamingJohn
Member since 2012 • 41 Posts
There's a stage where teens feel they are too old for pokemon, but after that it can just be played for fun now and then. It's very addictive and not at all childish.
mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

Considering us original Pokemon Masters were playing Gameboys, no you're not too old :P

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

Im 22 and still play pokemon... Get over it.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
23, been playing Pokemon since I was 10 and have no plans to ever stop. Seriously, just because the Anime is childish garbage (The first few seasons where great though, and apparently the Japanese version is still good, it's just the butchered Dub that's awful), doesn't mean the games are.
divinelegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 divinelegend
Member since 2004 • 92 Posts

i turn 30 this year (man i had to count.... last time i checked was HighSchool XD) and i still play pokemon. I own all of them and still play all of them. I even own enough of the systems that i can play each on all at the same time w/o swapping carts. Even tho i have reseted most of the older ones I still have my lvl 100 Charazard from red version on Gameboy.... hes still sitting on my copy of diamond. Havent messed w/ trades between D/P/Pt and B/W yet. Too lazy :P

sharpspike39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sharpspike39
Member since 2006 • 240 Posts

If you ask me pok'e mon and nintendo in general are for casuals. Not kids, not adults, casual gamers and I still love pokemon and other nintendo games and prolly always will.

So if you like it why not right?

sharpspike39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sharpspike39

If you ask me pok'e mon and nintendo in general are for casuals. Not kids, not adults, casual gamers and I still love pokemon and other nintendo games and prolly always will.

sharpspike39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sharpspike39

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pixel-Perfect

sharpspike39

Wii Sports is for casuals. Pokemon's not for casuals, Pokemon's for everyone. Xat-chew.gif

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

I personally haven't delved deep into the metagame of Pokemon, but you would be ignorant to say the game is only for casuals. The game has evolved (no pun intended) since the early years to have a very serious competitive following which includes tournaments, online matches, breeding, trading, and IV/EV training. This is certainly not for casuals and makes up a pretty fair percent of those who buy Pokemon. Pokemon certainly is an easy option for people to buy children given it's appeal, but there are many older gamers who enjoy Pokemon for the values stated above.

To the original question: You're only too old for something if you let others opinions determine your decision. Society is getting to the point where many things are becoming more sociably acceptable such as gaming and tattoos. Just remember that anyone who makes fun of you for something you do has insecurities of their own so don't take it too personally.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
No there is always ways to spice up "childish" games. Just got 120 stars on mario galaxy. EV train and battle online. You can also nuzlocke every Pokemon game.
OldGamers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 OldGamers
Member since 2012 • 26 Posts
I am old and love pokemon games.
OldGamers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OldGamers
I am old and love pokemon games.
OldGamers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OldGamers
I am old and love pokemon games. Don't know why it came up a few times?
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pixel-Perfect

Don't know why it came up a few times?OldGamers

Welcome to glitchspot. All the same, feel free to delete the doubles.

platinumltd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 platinumltd
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Im 23, i played red on the old original beast of a gameboy in grey, the only colour it came in lols, still playing now, yes sometimes i feel childish playing but i think thats more nostalgia than anything. and yeah my copy of black 2 is pre ordered so it clearly doesnt bother me to much
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
I'm 21 and I still enjoyed White.
NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

I'm 18 and I don't give a damn if I'm too old to play a certain game.

VGM_Enthusiast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 VGM_Enthusiast
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
There's no such thing.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

You can never be too old to play a complex game such as Pokemon. I've been playing since Red's release and the last game I've beaten was Platinum which I finished when I was 20 I think.

But my interest is staggering. The formula is losing its flavour and there are too many pokemon to keep track of (they're getting uglier). I couldn't push myself to finish SoulSilver and Black. I've finished Platinum twice and Diamond once but that generation is not memorable to me. I can't remember anything. That's my opinion anyway. The series needs to evolve.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

My god you cant be to old for a video game. You dont turn 18 and say well I can only play Rated M shooters now. Sorry Pokemon/Mario/whatever its been fun but im to old. If you do that dont lie you were never a gamer in the first place. Guys in their 40's in Japan play pokemon, read mangas instead of the newspapers on trains and such. On XBL a 12 year old kid said he was to old to play Mario. I was like are you f-ing serious? Nintendo does a good job at keeping you a kid at heart. Im 21 I will be 22 in October. Im excited for Pokemon Black 2. So no you cant be to old for Pokemon.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
be proud of what you play man! let the haters hate but if youre having fun thats all that matters!
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
EV's, IV's and metagames arent for kids.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Iv been playing pokemon soulsilver and lately i kind of feel childish being 18 years old playing a pokemon game. Is it just me or am i to old for the game? Do you think you could ever be to old to play a Pokemon game or any game that is marketed to children for that matter? Just interested in your opinions.

nick36001
Pokemon is for young kids in pre middle school. It's meant to appeal to the trading - card age.
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

People worrying about being too old for something usually are the most immature.