Tiger Woods Wii Gamespot vs IGN

This topic is locked from further discussion.

davidwes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 davidwes
Member since 2005 • 89 Posts

Hi. I am thinking about getting this game since gamestop seems to like it and say the controller works very well. Then I went to IGN and they thought it was really bad and the controller did not work at all.

Does anyone have this game?

Ctown_Canaduh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ctown_Canaduh
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

Me :P

As far as controls go...it's not the same as wii golf.  The swing mechanism has a steep, steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it handles well.  It's a good game if you're willing to put in the time to learn how to swing.

Battlestar3DVD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Battlestar3DVD
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts
I want to get this too but I'm waiting for the 08 version.
Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rosencrantz
Member since 2003 • 8148 Posts

Hi. I am thinking about getting this game since gamestop seems to like it and say the controller works very well. Then I went to IGN and they thought it was really bad and the controller did not work at all.

davidwes

Don't listen to the desperate fanboys.  Tiger Woods golf is not good and the swing mechanics are NOTHING like Wii golf.  When I first rented the game I couldn't do ANYTHING.  Literally could not swing properly no matter what I tried.  Imagine trying to swing the club and just when you start yourbackswing your golfer suddenly hits the ball for a good 50 yards...into a water trap.  You didn't even complete your backswing!   this happens all the time.

So to figure out what the hell is going on I went online (you can do it too).  EVERYBODY has this problem and there are dozens of supposed "fixes".  Hell, even youtube has people who felt the need to make instructional videos.  Even THEN it doesn't always work %100.  This is a sign of a major problem no matter how many people here try to gloss over it.

Here is why it is such a problem.  Tiger Woods for Wii is the regular game with Wii controls really poorly tacked on.  The swing issues are caused by the way they implemented motion sensing into the game.  With wii sports, moving the controller moves your club.  Not so with TW.  The golfer runs off an animation.  The second the game senses any movement at all from the wiimote (which is very sensitive) the backswing animation starts.  Then the second it senses a second movement, the game trigger the swing animation.  So when you THINK you are back swinging, a slight twitch is going to trigger the swing whether you are ready or not.

Yes, there are ways around this problem.  But it requires lots of work and patience.  And frankly, If I have to be this careful and work this hard to play a game when there are better controlled golf games already available, you know there is a serious problem.  Save your money.  EA will undoubtedly make improvement to the next TW game...which supposedly comes out this year anyway. 

Ctown_Canaduh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ctown_Canaduh
[QUOTE="davidwes"]

Rosencrantz

Don't listen to the desperate fanboys.  Tiger Woods golf is not good and the swing mechanics are NOTHING like Wii golf.  When I first rented the game I couldn't do ANYTHING.  Literally could not swing properly no matter what I tried.  Imagine trying to swing the club and just when you start yourbackswing your golfer suddenly hits the ball for a good 50 yards...into a water trap.  You didn't even complete your backswing!   this happens all the time.

So to figure out what the hell is going on I went online (you can do it too).  EVERYBODY has this problem and there are dozens of supposed "fixes".  Hell, even youtube has people who felt the need to make instructional videos.  Even THEN it doesn't always work %100.  This is a sign of a major problem no matter how many people here try to gloss over it.

Here is why it is such a problem.  Tiger Woods for Wii is the regular game with Wii controls really poorly tacked on.  The swing issues are caused by the way they implemented motion sensing into the game.  With wii sports, moving the controller moves your club.  Not so with TW.  The golfer runs off an animation.  The second the game senses any movement at all from the wiimote (which is very sensitive) the backswing animation starts.  Then the second it senses a second movement, the game trigger the swing animation.  So when you THINK you are back swinging, a slight twitch is going to trigger the swing whether you are ready or not.

Yes, there are ways around this problem.  But it requires lots of work and patience.  And frankly, If I have to be this careful and work this hard to play a game when there are better controlled golf games already available, you know there is a serious problem.  Save your money.  EA will undoubtedly make improvement to the next TW game...which supposedly comes out this year anyway. 

Go back to playing golf with a mini joystick on easy mode.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
[QUOTE="davidwes"]

Rosencrantz

The guy said it had a steep learning curve, it sounds like you just didnt put in the effort to learn how to play the game well. All games if you dont know how to play become fustrating and seem bad, but once you get it, you see the good in the game.

punkcoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 punkcoop
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
Like everyone said the controls do have a learning curve.  A point I would like to make is when you create your new character the crappy controls seem exagerated because your guy/girl will just absolutely suck so you can't make up for your swing flaws with spin, roll, etc.  As your guy gets better statistically and you get better through play you'll know the control flaws and how to deal with them.  In no way is TW perfect, but I can say its the best golf game thats been developed.  I'm sure '08 will be better and address the control issues, but a cheap copy probably can be picked up used.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

davidwes
You know what, its a mix of both being true. On one hand, its the most emmersive golf video game experience I've ever played. On the other hand, the controls get a little touchy sometimes. But you can compensate for it. Sometimes when you move too fast between back swing and forward swing it gives you a messy have power swing. But I found, if you hold your back swing for more than a second, then follow through, I never had that problem again. Other than that the game plays great, and putting atually works well.
theICE_MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 theICE_MAN
Member since 2007 • 538 Posts
ITS GOLF! GOLF IS HARD! THE GAME SHOULD BE TOO!

dont be a baby and say "oh its too hard.." about a game based on easily on eof the most difficult sports.
kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kidrock17xp
Member since 2004 • 2966 Posts

I want to get this too but I'm waiting for the 08 version.Battlestar3DVD

ditto, my friend and I just rented it last night and it's really fun. The singing is a little harder in the sense that you can slice it by swinging it the wrong way (although I never had a problem really). The main problem I had with it is when it tells you 100% will makes you land in this 'zone' and then you do a little over 100% and it falls short into a bunker or something like that. I have no idea why it does that, but it's not a controller error. 

kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kidrock17xp
[QUOTE="davidwes"]

Rosencrantz

Literally could not swing properly no matter what I tried. Imagine trying to swing the club and just when you start yourbackswing your golfer suddenly hits the ball for a good 50 yards...into a water trap. You didn't even complete your backswing! this happens all the time.

this kept happening to my friend, I told him to go back slower and it never happened again. I think the game/wii just doesn't like the sudden fast motion. 

Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rosencrantz
[QUOTE="Rosencrantz"][QUOTE="davidwes"]

kidrock17xp

Literally could not swing properly no matter what I tried. Imagine trying to swing the club and just when you start yourbackswing your golfer suddenly hits the ball for a good 50 yards...into a water trap. You didn't even complete your backswing! this happens all the time.

this kept happening to my friend, I told him to go back slower and it never happened again. I think the game/wii just doesn't like the sudden fast motion. 

No, as I said in my post, it is caused by taking the game and tacking on Wii conrols.  You don't have to move PERIOD, whether slow or fast to set it off.  If you so much and re-adjust your grip or adjust your stance, you can set off the swing motion.  try it yourself.  It has nothing to do with speed but has everything to do with poor control of the game. 

Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rosencrantz

Go back to playing golf with a mini joystick on easy mode.Ctown_Canaduh

Or may I will go back to playing Wii golf which controls MUCH better than TW.  Or maybe I will wait for EA to fix the controls for the next TW game?  

Frankly, your response is fairly ignorant.

Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rosencrantz

The guy said it had a steep learning curve, it sounds like you just didnt put in the effort to learn how to play the game well. All games if you dont know how to play become fustrating and seem bad, but once you get it, you see the good in the game.Sepewrath

No.  A learning curve is getting used to how the game registers slices or hooks and adjusting your swing accordingly.  The swing issue in TW is not a "learning curve", it is poor controls.  As with any game with crappy controls, there will be people who are willing to put up the fight to try and work their way around the issue.  But typically, this will be done by people who, as displayed here, make up their mind in advance that the game is good without properly analyzing the issues. 

Learning curve is a game being hard, like Viewtiful Joe or Ninja Gaiden.  Learning curve is not poor controls.  If that is the case then crappy camera control is Spiderman 3 is simply people who can't get past the 'learning curve.' This is wrong. 

when I buy a golf game for Wii I want it to feel like an actual golfing experience in my home.  Wii sports did a good job of showing the potential.  It has nothing to do with putting in the effort to play the game well...I can play real golf a lot easier than TW and I suck at real golf.  But at least I can hit the ball. At least I can swing a club.  Poor controls are poor controls.  Just because some people are willing to overlook that, give the game a pass, or are willing to work around the poor controls to play the game doesn't change the fact that the controls suck.

I'm sorry people here can't accept that little fact.  The controls suck and it ruins what could be an awesome game.  ANd while they may lash out at me for speaking the truth deep down they know the controls have kept what could have been an amazing game down.  They will come around I suspect with the next game (or two) that does the controls right.  Then they will all look back at this TW game and wonder what the hell they were smoking.

kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kidrock17xp
[QUOTE="kidrock17xp"][QUOTE="Rosencrantz"][QUOTE="davidwes"]

Rosencrantz

No, as I said in my post, it is caused by taking the game and tacking on Wii conrols. You don't have to move PERIOD, whether slow or fast to set it off. If you so much and re-adjust your grip or adjust your stance, you can set off the swing motion. try it yourself. It has nothing to do with speed but has everything to do with poor control of the game.

my friend and I were getting eagles on par 4 and 5 holes from very long chip ins, i'm sorry to hear that it didn't work very well for you. I'm sure the controls will be worked out a lot better in 08, but for me and my friend it really wasn't that bad as it is now.

Ctown_Canaduh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ctown_Canaduh

blah blah blah i'm bad at this game so i'll blame the controlsRosencrantz

That's all I read.  If something were fundatmentally wrong with the controls people wouldn't be completing tiger challenge and saying how easy it is....or getting holes in one like no ones business (anyone who's actually played the game knows what I mean) or nailing eagles and double eagles left and right.  Just because you're bad at the game is not the games fault. 

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
The controls work great. I play in easy mode though. In easy mode it doesn't read your slicing motion and just goes straight.  My dad is very good at the game and he's not good at most games, so its not hard to learn.  it does work different than wii sports golf,but i think its easier.  It only took me about 10 minutes to get good at it, and the putting is way better. If you really close to the hole, it goes in no matter what and its pretty generous with putting all together.  The only thing bad i can say about the game is the graphics are horrible, and whoever designed the menu interface was a moron.  I expect in the next version things will be way better.
Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rosencrantz

Ignorance is bliss I guess.  I'll bookmark this thread and be sure to bump it for your apologies when the next game fixes the terrible controls.

Long story short, the question was which review was right about the controls.  Put me firmly in the IGN camp...with the vast majority of gamers and reviewers.  

Ctown_Canaduh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ctown_Canaduh

Ignorance is bliss I guess.  I'll bookmark this thread and be sure to bump it for your apologies when the next game fixes the terrible controls.

Long story short, the question was which review was right about the controls.  Put me firmly in the IGN camp...with the vast majority of gamers and reviewers.  

Rosencrantz

Ah yes, falling back on the old "ignorance is bliss which is why i'm right" argument.  Didn't see that one comming!  Btw it's good to know that you can speak for the majority of gamers...did jo momma give you permission to do that, or do you just think you're that hardcore of a gamer? 

Anyhow, apology accepted.  Set & match. lol :)

Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rosencrantz
[QUOTE="Rosencrantz"]

Ctown_Canaduh

Ah yes, falling back on the old "ignorance is bliss which is why i'm right" argument.  Didn't see that one comming!  Btw it's good to know that you can speak for the majority of gamers...did jo momma give you permission to do that, or do you just think you're that hardcore of a gamer? 

You question my gaming credentials and yet you don't know the difference between control problems and learning curve?  

I don't speak for a majority of gamers.  If you had basic reading comprehension you would see that more people than not side with IGN's view of the controls.  When people have to give lessons on Youtube to teach people how to work around the poor controls, that tells me it's a major problem.  Or search message boards, or google the issue...but you won't.  Not because you are a fanboy or because you have your head in the sand *cough* but because you don't care what other people think.  Something you have proven by taking not caring about my own comments on the game.

BUt whatever.  I'm sure EA thanks your for your tolerance and loyalty.  I'll continue holding out for a better golf game with better swing mechanics, because I have standards.

woodsa23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 woodsa23
Member since 2005 • 270 Posts
[QUOTE="Ctown_Canaduh"][QUOTE="Rosencrantz"]

Rosencrantz

You question my gaming credentials and yet you don't know the difference between control problems and learning curve?  

I don't speak for a majority of gamers.  If you had basic reading comprehension you would see that more people than not side with IGN's view of the controls.  When people have to give lessons on Youtube to teach people how to work around the poor controls, that tells me it's a major problem.  Or search message boards, or google the issue...but you won't.  Not because you are a fanboy or because you have your head in the sand *cough* but because you don't care what other people think.  Something you have proven by taking not caring about my own comments on the game.

BUt whatever.  I'm sure EA thanks your for your tolerance and loyalty.  I'll continue holding out for a better golf game with better swing mechanics, because I have standards.

I've never played the game, so I can't comment on the controls. But his personal experience of the game is that it controls well. Why should he allow your opinion to override his?

Ctown_Canaduh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ctown_Canaduh

Rosencrantz

lols "gaming credentials"

Naw I won't look around on the internets because, and I'll put it in caps so you don't miss it:  I AM NOT HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE CONTROLS, NEITHER ARE MY FRIENDS.  WE CAN PLAY THE GAME FINE.  WE TOOK THE TIME TO LEARN INSTEAD OF COMMING ON THE INTERWEB AND SPEWING OUT GARBAGE ABOUT HOW THE GAME IS UNPLAYABLE.  THIS IS WHY YOUR COMMENTS DON'T MATTER. 

I have no loyalty to EA at all, not sure where you pulled that from.  In fact I had never bought a Tiger Woods game before this one because the thought of playing golf with a thumbstick made me lol. All in all, controls are fine if you learn to play.  Some people can't learn it, I'm fine with that...they can go back to wii sports or intellivision or drooling on their bib or whatever they were doing before this golf sim came along and ruined their life. 

edited to add relevant quote from said drooler.

specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 specialed
Member since 2003 • 3669 Posts
[QUOTE="davidwes"]

Rosencrantz

BS. Orig. TC, dont listen to him.

Liek the other guy said, its not the same as Wii golf, but its easier to play once you build up your attributes and gain some points in the diff statistics you are suppose to build up in th egame. it ha s amoderate learning curve, so hang in there...

As far as rosencrantz saying that the golfer swings before you do and the ball only goes so manyyards...I have had it happen......HONESTLY...about 2-3 times... After that, you just have to be calm and collective in the swing..

The game isnt broken. rent if you must be safe but if you are liek most and get the hang of it pretty quick and BUILD your characters attributes some, you will be fine.

Rosencrantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rosencrantz
[QUOTE="Rosencrantz"][QUOTE="Ctown_Canaduh"][QUOTE="Rosencrantz"]

woodsa23

I've never played the game, so I can't comment on the controls. But his personal experience of the game is that it controls well. Why should he allow your opinion to override his?

I'm not trying to convince him to override his opinion or to re-evaluate his personal experience.  The question was, who was right about the controls...GS (no problem) or IGN (terrible).  I saw everyone making posts about how there is no problem with the controls and it's simply the result of a few people whining because they suck at the game.  I take issue with that.  There most certianly is an issue with the controls as anyone can realize if they read the majority of reviews over at Gamerankings, read game forums, gamefaqs or even search youtube for videos of people playing the game.   Now, short of doing an actual scientific polling and cold-calling people, I'd say that the majority of gamers feel the game has serious control issues. 

Having said that, whether or not people are willing to overlook the problem is what is causing people to take offense at my original post.  They are lashing out and saying I just suck at the game, which is not true.  I simply felt that the game has a problem and why should I put up with such a blatant problem when I know full well the next TW game will probably be out in less than a year and fix the issue...or at least improve it.  And until that time I can still play Wii sports or that other Wii golf game, both of which have superior swing mechanics...again, according to reviews.

But people arguing that because they were willing to work around the problem controls there must not be a problem with the controls is simply an irrational arguement.  It's like saying a game has no camera controls because constantly babysitting the camera doesn't bother them.  Well, just because they work around it or it doesn't bother them, it doesn't mean it isn't there.

That's my point and I stand by it.  There is more certianly an issue with the controls and if people want to fight it then good for them.  But the game is designed and meant to be played close to real golf and swinging like real golf.  Anyone going into the game thinking that will be sorely disappointed and it will be the fault of people who are lying and saying the problem doesn't exist simply because they've found ways around the problem. 

Anyway, I've wasted my coffee break arguing with people who fail to grasp this simple point.  I've said more than I feel I should have had to say. If TW was a basketball game and the character was shooting when you didn't tell him to, or a baseball player was swinging when you weren't ready, or a boxing game where your character punches when you try to block...is it YOUR fault that you didn't take the time to figure out the little trick that will allow you to avoid the problem?  Or is it the developers for not fine tuning the controls to rush a game to market?

But what I say is %100 right.  There is an issue with the controls AND it is not a learning curve problem.  If people are willing to forgive the issue then that is pefectly fine.  Good on them.  Personally, I expect more from both the Wii and a golf game.  I just feel that somebody looking to buy the game should know the truth and what to realistically expect as opposed to people shrugging off what they don't feel is a big deal.

davidwes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 davidwes
Member since 2005 • 89 Posts

Since this was my question I think I should say something.

To me a golf game on the wii should be the best thing. The wii if a stick, you should swing it like a golf club. If the game has your player swing when you haven't even lifted your controler then I would say that is a problem.

I hear people say you just have to learn how to play the game, but the game is golf! Its a game everyone knows how to play already. It should play like real golf.

So people who hate this game say "its not like real golf, the controls are bad"

The people who like this game say "its not like real golf, you have to learn how to play it to like it"

Either way both things to me scream "DON"T BUY THIS GAME"Â