deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The more I play Majora's mask 3D, the more I am taken aback at not just how well the game has aged, but at how far ahead of its time it was (though I suspect those two factors are correlated). But seriously, it is amazing when you consider that mechanically or thematically, these game has still not been replicated, and we are fifteen years separated from its release.

Speaking of those themes, though- the more I am playing, the more convinced I am – and heavy Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Majora's Mask spoilers follow here, so don't click on them unless you have finished the games):

That Link is dead, and Termina is his own personal purgatory. I mean, it makes sense right off the bat- you consider that everything that he sees in Termina is a bizarre, twisted version of something that he had already seen in Hyrule; everything that he is doing is a macabre echo of what he has already achieved in Hryule as well. Plus the entire three day cycle is Link being trapped in Termina, in his own personal hell in his mind because he is unable to reconcile himself with the fact that he cannot save everyone at once, that he can't be a hero to everybody every time, a fact that he is having trouble facing, because being a hero to everyone is exactly what he accomplished at the end of Ocarina of Time... except then his accomplishments were erased, so no one ever realized he was a hero, and he never got anything for all of his troubles. That empty feeling that came from that deflation of his accomplishment, coupled with Navi abandoning him, and presumably death in the forest right at the beginning of Majora's Mask, led him to this very confused and vulnerable state of mind, a state of mind that he must overcome and reconcile himself with, before he can move on.

The very interesting thing here is how masks come into play here- when Link solves problems in Majora's Mask, he is trying to do everything all at once before the world ends, but he is not solving those problems as himself.He has to disguise himself using his masks, he is always solving the problems as someone else- which, I think, is him gradually coming to terms with the fact, as he saves people over and over again, that even when he is being a hero and solving people's problems, he is not getting credit for them- the people who he was impersonating with his masks are the ones who got the credit. And over time, I think Link is realizing that he does not need the credit or the recognition from being the hero, that the act itself may be enough, thereby facing his biggest problem from the end of Ocarina of Time.

Which leads me to the most interesting mask of them all- assuming we are going for the true ending in Majora's Mask, Link will eventually give all his masks away, before he faces Majora. Majora, in this scenario, I am assuming represents Link's dark psyche- his 'shadow self' so to speak, his resentment, his frustration, his suppressed chaos, and before Link faces his dark self, he wants to be sure that he is doing it himself, as himself, otherwise there really is no point- unless he can overcome his darkness by himself with no aids, he hasn't overcome it at all. And that brings us to Fierce Deity. Fierce Deity is extremely powerful, and probably Link's most powerful and strong incarnation across all Zelda games, yet. It's basically a Ganonization of Link, so to speak, and it is morally extremely suspect. And I think that Link wearing the Fierce Deity mask before his battle with Majora represents him accepting that he is not perfect, that he has issues, and him embracing those issues and the strength gained from embracing those issues, and then turning all of them upon his demons, represented by Majora. At the end, of course, Link beats Majora, and I think he is able to move on from his purgatory, having reconciled himself to his shortcomings, accepting his successes and his failures, and finally finding peace in death,

I think this theory makes a lot of sense- not only is Majora's Mask, already a game about death, littered with references to this idea, but this would explain so much stuff- for instance, the aforementioned everything in Termina being a bizarre dreamland take on things Link already achieved in Hyrule, but modified in almost dreamlike ways (such as how the Ocarina and the Song of Time function differently this time around, as an example). And when you consider this with how Link first gets into Termina in the first place:

It all makes sense. It all makes so much sense, now.

So I think I am going with this. Albeit I don't know if I can reconcile this with the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess, who is also supposed to be Link, except Link grown up, and in this theory, Link died as a child. But that's the only discrepancy, and viewing OoT and MM together as one work, everything fits together beautifully in this light.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Good to see you actually posting in the Nintendo board for once. You can actually call yourself a Nintendo fan, instead of posting in SW all day :P

I didn't read you entire post because I have yet to play the remake (I played it back in the day), so I don't want too many reminders/spoilers. But reading the first line, it immediately reminded me of Game Theory. I'm pretty sure they had a similar theory. Have you seen it?

Loading Video...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I've heard this theory and it's scintillating to be sure. I'm not sure I 100% buy it, but I think it's great that such a strange and wonderful game like MM is able to conjure up such discussion.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Sorry Char but that was probably the worst fan theory I've heard in awhile (not to mention you went a little overboard on the theory crafting), specially for the Majoras Mask theory of Link being dead in MM, I've heard of theories when you get to a certain moment in MM Link becomes "trapped" in a sort of "time dungeon" theory which actually makes more since than him being dead since Twlp is set around the same time period and him having 3 timelines (Adult, Child and Downfall)

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@charizard1605: That, and the game theory blows my mind. o_O. I don't know what to say...R.I.P Link.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

I didn't read the whole post, mainly because I've heard the theory before, but I --to put it nicely-- greatly dislike these kind of fan theories. They are interesting thoughts, but it is deliberately trying to find meaning in innocuous things, and doing that you can almost always make the source material fit your "theory."

It only grates on me more when people do what you did in the thread title and take such theories as "The True Meaning."

It is the reason that I stopped watching the "Game Theory" guy that was posted in this thread because even if he realizes the situation, I've noticed a lot of people take what he says as "The True Meaning," or say stuff along the lines of "How did I miss this."

I'm also not convinced that the creator of those videos doesn't sometimes get caught up in the theories himself.

---

Anyway, I'm glad that you are enjoying Majora's Mask, it really is a game that brought a lot to the table and holds up really well. I hope to pick up the 3DS version sometime down the line.