The Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker (Version 6.0)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

So, since my other thread got closed, I decided to make a new one:

I'm here to show you the program I made in Java. It is used to make custom rosters, and saving them as images to show them to anyone! For more information about the program, see the link here: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-super-smash-bros-roster-maker-version-6-0-available.336761/

Here is an example of an image you can do with the Roster Maker:

Here is a direct link to download the version 6.0 of the Roster Maker: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ewygljrrgen4pxb/SSB_Roster_Maker-v.6.0.zip

#2 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

What's new with version 4.0?

#3 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

A list of all the new things in version 4.0 is included in the "Changelog" file. But here is a list of the main new features:

• Added a button named "Character info" below the list of characters which is used to get information about the currently selected character in a dialog. Information includes the character's name, its gender (male, female, genderless, both), its alignment (good, evil or neutral), its series, its status (veteran or newcomer), its popularity (on a scale of 0 to 10) and its debut game.
  • Added the ability to modify the attributes of every character icon in the program, including your own icons. You can do that by clicking on the "Character info" button (see the point above), clicking on the pencil icon next to the attribute you want to change. When your changes are done, simply click the "Close" button. To reset the attributes of a character to the default ones, click the "Reset" button.
  • Added twelve new radio buttons next to the list. In total, there are four different groups, so a maximum of four options can be selected at the same time. You can sort the list by alignment (good, evil or neutral), by gender (male, female or genderless) and by status (newcomer or veteran). You can combine the buttons to sort the list even more. The "All" button in those groups includes every character no matter their alignment, gender or status. The use of those buttons can also be combined with the combo box, sorting the list with the currently selected series. One radio button has been added for descending popularity.
  • Added a function to the menu bar with the ability to insert a row or column by specifying the letter or the number associated with it. The characters in the roster will be moved to the right in the next column or to the bottom in the next row, if it is necessary for the insertion.
  • Added a function to the menu bar with the ability to remove a row or column by specifying the letter or the number associated with it. The characters in the roster will be moved to the left in the next column or to the top in the next row, if it is necessary for the removal.
  • Added a function to the menu bar to sort the current roster by series. The roster can be sorted either vertically or horizontally. Due to the limitations of the number of rows and columns, some of the series will be grouped together. This function is irreversible.
  • Added a function called "Switch mode" in the "Edit" tab from the menu bar. If the "Switch mode" is checked, dragging a character on top of another one will exchange the position of both characters on the roster instead of replacing it. This function can be turned off so dragging characters on top of others will replace them.
  • Added letters and numbers next to each row and column to identify them easily when using the "inserting/removing rows/columns" functions.
  • There is now a total of 800 character icons!
#4 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

Also, if anyone has trouble with an error related to the Java runtime Environment, just copy what is inside the "dist" folder, so that means the file "Smash_Roster_Maker.jar" and the "lib" folder to the main directory where the ".exe" file is. Then, double click on the ".jar" file and the Roster Maker should work fine! Of course, make sure you have Java 7 installed on your computer.

Jakor1

Thanks! That got it working for me. :]

p.s. Werehog?! Is that even allowed? I mean he is only supposed to exist at night and obviously not all Smash Bros stages take place at night... >_>

#5 Posted by rubber-chicken (2076 posts) -

I don't like this idea of bringing in all these 3rd-party characters into Smash Bros. Sure, for one game it's cool that a couple had an entrance, but it's just making this game lose its authenticity to Nintendo and it's becoming more of a 3rd-party fighting game. I know there are like two new ones in your list but I don't really like the idea of them altogether. :P

#6 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

I made some new icons:

Though I just thought of some more I can do, like Mega Man from Mega Man Powered Up, and Axl from X series. So maybe I'll do those sometime. x)

edit: more ideas: Jonathan/Charlotte, Maria Renard, Aeon, and maybe Sonic with a sword

#7 Posted by lazyathew (3748 posts) -

I don't like this idea of bringing in all these 3rd-party characters into Smash Bros. Sure, for one game it's cool that a couple had an entrance, but it's just making this game lose its authenticity to Nintendo and it's becoming more of a 3rd-party fighting game. I know there are like two new ones in your list but I don't really like the idea of them altogether. :P

rubber-chicken

Yeah, I see what ya mean. Though, I have no problem with third party characters as long as they still have meaning to Nintendo. Sonic is an interesting and sort of ironic inclusion. Considering his past rivalry. But that rivalry is over, and he has some Nintendo exlusives. I like him being there, and I hope he remains in the series.

Snake on the other hand... is just wierd. He honestly makes me think of Sony before Nintendo. He has way more games on Sony, and only has 1 exlusive game on a Nintendo system. I am not going to complain if he remains, since I kinda like him, but he really doesn't fit in, lol.

I really hope Mega Man and Simon Belmont join in the next game. They have history with Nintendo. Having a series of NES and SNES exlusives. Sure, they haven't had as many Nintendo exlusives in a while, but they did then. Plus, they were in Captain N. :P

#8 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

four more:

"Welcome to the time rift!"

#9 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (3009 posts) -
I just hope the game comes soon
#10 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

More:

edit:

#11 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

Thank you for those icons final_lap! I will definitely add some of them to future versions of the Roster Maker. One thing though, I'd like if you could at least tell me the game or series some of those characters come from!

#12 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

Thank you for those icons final_lap! I will definitely add some of them to future versions of the Roster Maker. One thing though, I'd like if you could at least tell me the game or series some of those characters come from!

Jakor1

Sure thing!

• Bass is from classic Mega Man series. (first appearance Mega Man 8)
  • Zero is from Mega Man Zero series.
  • Aeon is from Castlevania Judgment.
  • Knight Sonic is Sonic as he appears in Sonic & The Black Knight.
  • Charlotte/Jonathan is from Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.
  • Copy X is from the first Mega Man Zero.
  • Simon is Simon Belmont from Castlevania series.
  • Julius Belmont is from Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.
  • Team Chaotix is from Sonic series, their first appearance is Knuckles Chaotix.
  • Sophie is from Tales of Graces.
  • Rygar is from Rygar series but this icon is based on his Wii appearance Rygar: Battle of Argus.
  • Rogue appears in Mega Man Star Force 2 and 3.
  • Aya is from Onechanbara series.

I'm sure some of those you already knew about, but I didn't know which ones you did/didn't know, so I went ahead and mentioned a bunch of them just in case. x)

p.s. I still have more ideas for icons. x)

#13 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

Great! Thank you! And if you want, I received a few requests. I could do them myself, but I'm really busy lately. That's why I released the version 4.0 as soon as I could, because I knew I wouldn't really have much time to spend on it for quite some weeks.

I don't know if I told people here, but at this point I'm willing to take icons from pretty much anybody. Unless their quality is pretty crappy.

#14 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

What are the requests? (are they in the smashboards thread?) I could always try to do some.

#15 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

Ok, here are the requests:

Mr. L (Paper Mario)

Dark Link

Ganon (with this image: http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/c/c9/BeastGanon.png)

Daisy (with her sports outfit)

Monita (Nintendoland)

Steve (Minecraft)

Splosion Man

Tempo (HarmoKnight)

Delsin Rowe (Infamous)

#16 Posted by malonepuwa (25 posts) -
I mean he is only supposed to exist at night and obviously not all Smash Bros stages take place at night...
#17 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

Smashboards is down so I can't make icons at the moment.

I should have saved the frame and text images, if I had then this wouldn't be a problem. Do you have a link to them?

This was a good thing though, because of this I started getting some 46x46 pics ready. By splitting the job into two steps like this, it makes things simpler. (I saved the 46x46's as bmp's, to prevent loss in quality.)

#18 Posted by tocool340 (21158 posts) -
As much as I want Ike back, Krom is probably gonna replace him....
#19 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

Naming each one just in case imageshack fails to load some.

5 icons (Mr L, Monita, Ganon, Ganon, Dark Link):

1 icon, Saki from Onechanbara series:

5 icons (Mega Man x, Mega Man X, Rogue, E123 Omega, Chaos):

edit:

Daisy, Tempo, Over-1 (from Rockman Xover):

For Daisy I assumed the name was supposed to be just Daisy and not something like Sports Daisy or S. Daisy. And that is her sports outfit but it's hard to tell. I made sure to include her bare shoulders (basically the only difference between her sports and dress outfits when zoomed in that close) but I'm guessing most people who see the icon won't notice that and will assume they're looking at the dress version. Let me know if this icon needs a redo. :p

There is also another LttP artwork of blue Ganon, I was about to make an icon for that too.

#20 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

For Daisy I assumed the name was supposed to be just Daisy and not something like Sports Daisy or S. Daisy. And that is her sports outfit but it's hard to tell. I made sure to include her bare shoulders (basically the only difference between her sports and dress outfits when zoomed in that close) but I'm guessing most people who see the icon won't notice that and will assume they're looking at the dress version. Let me know if this icon needs a redo. :p

final_lap

Yeah, try to make her sports outfit more prominent in some way if you can. Otherwise, thanks for those icons! I received another request too, if you want to make it, it is for Wonderful Joe (The Wonderful 101).

#21 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

I did a quick search for Wonderful 101 but I see no character names stated. I assume this is Joe?

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/13/135472/2321101-wiiuw101char01wp.jpg

What would his icon say? I'm guessing just Joe would suffice. But I might throw in T.W. Joe or Wonderful Joe if that fits.

That is if I get around to it. ^^

edit:

14 images:

#22 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

Free DLC. :P 

IconMario3.pngIconLuigi2.pngIconPeach2.pngIconYoshi2.pngIconWario3.pngIconBowser2.pngIconBowserJr2.png

IconLink3.pngIconZelda3.pngIconGanondorf3.pngIconDonkeyKong2.pngIconDiddyKong2.pngIconLyndis.pngIconMrGameampWatch2.png

#23 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

Thanks to both of you! I don't like having too many duplicates icons for the same character though, some is fine, but try to keep it at a minimum!

#24 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

You don't have to add them, but if it were me, I'd make sure every character had an attractive icon without having to use the brawl portraits. Seeing the Brawl icons mixed in mith random character art throws off my OCD every time.

#25 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

You don't have to add them, but if it were me, I'd make sure every character had an attractive icon without having to use the brawl portraits. Seeing the Brawl icons mixed in mith random character art throws off my OCD every time.

Pixel-Perfect

That's a good point!

#26 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

Here's what I have so far. :P 

allnighterRoster.png

#27 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

I don't like having too many duplicates icons for the same character though, some is fine, but try to keep it at a minimum!

Jakor1

The last 2 Chaotix icons I made are to replace the last ones that had black backgrounds. (At that time I didn't figure out how to make the background white.) But out of those last 2 feel free to use only one of them. (They are the same but with different names.)

The Ganon icons were of course so you can choose which you think is best. ^_^

#28 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

Thanks for those icons too, Pixel-Perfect!

And if you still want to make other icons, final_lap, just say it, as there are always new requests or some new interesting characters that could be added that don't have an icon yet. Or if anyone else feel like doing some too, that would be nice.

#29 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

By the way, I made a roster, and was wondering if anyone had any critique for it. I was trying to fit in Professor Layton but I'm not even sure if he should be in it. If not then this is my roster. (unless someone can make it better) ^_^

no layton roster

Anyway after my last post I thought I was done making icons. (not counting the icons I ended up making for my own roster) But I could always change my mind, or fill out more requests every once in a while if I feel like doing nothing else. But for that to happen, I need to know what the requests are, or where I can find them. For the record I made a smashboards account the other day, so if there is a thread there to post new icons then maybe I will use that thread instead of this one.

#30 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

By the way, I made a roster, and was wondering if anyone had any critique for it. I was trying to fit in Professor Layton but I'm not even sure if he should be in it. If not then this is my roster. (unless someone can make it better) ^_^

no layton roster

final_lap

I think I would die a little on the inside if they replaced Ike with Chrom, while at the same time having four characters from Star Fox, Sonic and the Black Knight, and Mr. Driller (?)

#31 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

I am going to make sweeping changes to my roster because just the other day I realized more things about the Smash game's habits when it comes to adding new characters. For instance, in Brawl, there is no more than 4 character slots per franchise. This means I cannot add Birdo or Toad. Also, in the history of the series, only 4 characters have ever been cut. So I should probably not be cutting as many characters as I am.

I think I would die a little on the inside if they replaced Ike with Chrom, while at the same time having four characters from Star Fox, Sonic and the Black Knight, and Mr. Driller (?)

Pixel-Perfect

on Ike/Chrom: Brawl replaced Roy with Ike, so isn't that the same?

on 4 chars from Star Fox: Every Smash game has added a SF character. It was just Fox, then it was Fox/Falco, then it was Fox/Falco/Wolf. I'm technically just continuing that. The number of SF chars is exactly 1 more than before, and if I add Slippy then it makes sense to replace Wolf so as to recreate the original team. Brawl replaced Mewtwo with Lucario and Pokemon Trainer. I did likewise by replacing Wolf with Slippy and Peppy.

#32 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

final_lap

on Ike/Chrom: Brawl replaced Roy with Ike, so isn't that the same?

Ike is a more important character than Roy, and he's unique where Roy was a clone. Other than that, Fire Emblem is an important enough franchise that I think they could safely give it more than two slots. 

#33 Posted by final_lap (388 posts) -

Ok I decided to show newcomers only as my way of showing my roster, at least for the time being.

newcomers

Only 2 of them are Nintendo characters which doesn't seem like enough. The question is how many more Nintendo characters do I need to add? I think I should add at least 3 more.

Contenders:

• Little Mac - I was about to put him in, but what would he do besides punch? And what would his specials be? Different punches? It's a shame though because he is otherwise a cool character.
  • Professor Layton - Maybe. In fact, seeing as my roster is starving for characters, I should put him in. There are probably all range of things in this games he could use as attacks. Plus I took out the Sonic Black Knight characters, leaving more room for new characters with swords.
  • etc

edit:

littlemac

Good balance of Nintendo chars. No more than one per franchise, and each one from a different platform. NES, SNES, GC, Wii, DS, 3DS

#34 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

Anyway after my last post I thought I was done making icons. (not counting the icons I ended up making for my own roster) But I could always change my mind, or fill out more requests every once in a while if I feel like doing nothing else. But for that to happen, I need to know what the requests are, or where I can find them. For the record I made a smashboards account the other day, so if there is a thread there to post new icons then maybe I will use that thread instead of this one.

final_lap

Well, you could always check my thread there if you are looking for requests: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-super-smash-bros-roster-maker-version-3-0-available.320445/page-5

You can also use it to post your new icons if you want.

#35 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

Bumping this to let people know the version 5.0 has been released and is now available.

#36 Posted by blackyoshi33 (25 posts) -

Hi, I would love it if you added the ability to make custom icons! Could you do that?

#37 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

Hi, I would love it if you added the ability to make custom icons! Could you do that?

blackyoshi33

I'm sorry, I tried various ways of incorporating something like that, but the quality of the image created this way was always kind of bad. For now, I put work on that aside. However, I plan on releasing the version 6.0 sometime during this week, and about 600 new icons were made for it, as well as most of the old ones had their background color updated to a blue one. Of course, there will also be a couple of new useful functions and bug fixes.

#38 Posted by Jakor1 (48 posts) -

Version 6.0 has now officially been released, with changes made according to the trailers we saw this week.