the only negative thing wih the newest mario trailer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CARL
Member since 2002 • 651 Posts

it's not a new trailer, but it's the newest

it's from that event, what was it called?

anyhow...

one little critique from idiot me

i don't like the fish in the water... it looks... out of place, the art style didn't look spot on... sure it was a "mario fish" in it's form, with those eyes it had... but it looked a bit slimy, just like a real fishs texture would have been... and for me, mario doesn't equal realistic looking textures... but maybe that's just me, and maybe that realistic texture, or graphical surface effect or whatever ud like to call it, looks similar to the "graphical surface effect" (what i mean is like how the light is spread on a surface and things like that) of the giant carnivorus plant... but that one worked... so the line is clearly thin, between what works, and what doesn't...

yeah i know, it's a bit like that uncanny land dilemma, with realistic, scary faces in computer games...

only, this is about art style in a mario game that in this particular case happens to revolve around how realistic u should allow the surface effects on the different characters to be...

and that it indeed is a difficult question...where the line is thin... i mean, it's just the fish that doesn't work in my eyes at least... i mean, i like the graphical, shiny effect on the volcano, sure the shiny lightning looks like real life lightning, but on that particular object it works... but the fishs slimy "texture surface effect" didn't quite impress me, i hope they change it... but probably wont...

a long, long post about a fish gone wrong...

soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 soulfood4
Member since 2005 • 5459 Posts
The event was the GDC: Game Developers Confrence.
LuIsSiUl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 LuIsSiUl
Member since 2004 • 1935 Posts

it's not a new trailer, but it's the newest

it's from that event, what was it called?

anyhow...

one little critique from idiot me

i don't like the fish in the water... it looks... out of place, the art style didn't look spot on... sure it was a "mario fish" in it's form, with those eyes it had... but it looked a bit slimy, just like a real fishs texture would have been... and for me, mario doesn't equal realistic looking textures... but maybe that's just me, and maybe that realistic texture, or graphical surface effect or whatever ud like to call it, looks similar to the "graphical surface effect" (what i mean is like how the light is spread on a surface and things like that) of the giant carnivorus plant... but that one worked... so the line is clearly thin, between what works, and what doesn't...

yeah i know, it's a bit like that uncanny land dilemma, with realistic, scary faces in computer games...

only, this is about art style in a mario game that in this particular case happens to revolve around how realistic u should allow the surface effects on the different characters to be...

and that it indeed is a difficult question...where the line is thin... i mean, it's just the fish that doesn't work in my eyes at least... i mean, i like the graphical, shiny effect on the volcano, sure the shiny lightning looks like real life lightning, but on that particular object it works... but the fishs slimy "texture surface effect" didn't quite impress me, i hope they change it... but probably wont...

a long, long post about a fish gone wrong...

CARL
... you must be kidding... yeah that´s it... this is a joke topic. Nothing else i think SMG looks awesome.
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
I just rewatch the trailer and I didn't think it looks really realistic. It looks ok imo.
soulfood4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 soulfood4
Member since 2005 • 5459 Posts
lol thats it FISH! Wow waste of my time....
CARL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CARL
Member since 2002 • 651 Posts

The event was the GDC: Game Developers Confrence.soulfood4

thx for clearing things out...

anyways, i don't know why the hel* i started this thread :)

lol

i looked at the trailer again, and actually i don't know what lightning i was talking about... sorry :)

BUT... i don't like the look of that fish that much... i guess it's supposed to look scary, but i don't like it... i don't like how the eyes of the fish joggle like they do, but they should i guess, but it something about it i don't like, can't put a finger on specifically what it is though... as for the surface lightning and things like that... i can't see much bc of the video quality i have...

sorry for pointless thread :P

EDIT: jikes!! a lot of posts have appeard on this thread while i was typing this post... well, as i said, sorry... and that's it...