The Off-Topic Lounge: V.8.5

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Welcome to The Off-Topic Lounge: V.8.5
(This version refers to great threads that are excellent in almost every way and whose few setbacks probably aren't too important. We highly recommend threads of this version, since they tend to be good enough to provide an enjoyable experience to fans of the particular forum and to newcomers alike.)

This should probably be v.9.0 or v.9.5, but it's in the Wii forum, so 8.5 is good enough!

The Good

• Kind, polite people
  • Lively discussions about nothing in particular
  • Fun controls
  • Hug button

The Bad

• At least 3 guaranteed bannings per year
  • Wandering discussions about everything specifically
  • Awkward, poorly implemented controls
  • No hug button

Rules:

1. No spamming - "Off topic" doesn't mean "random and pointless." Start a new discussion or be a part of an on-going one.

2. No trolling or flaming - If you're taking the time to read this, you're probably not a troll anyway. So just tell your friends. You know they're trolls at heart.

So have a good time, enjoy our WiiWare fireplace that didn't get reviewed, and remember, in the immortal words of Vinny Caravella...

"Good people come in fireplaces."

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
V8.5 ... so it begins. Another year, hopefully more lulz.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yay I'm not a troll (since I read that)! Good to know.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

No Trolling? :?

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
Not a huge fan of the new name sadly. Also just got back from Tron. Daft Punk. That is all.
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Woot! Hiya people. Merry Christmas to all!

*Hums Christmas tunes as he plays Oracle of Ages.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I lol'd when I understood the 8.5, good show :P

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Hahahaha, "enjoy the fireplace that didnt get a review".
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="snowman6251"]Not a huge fan of the new name sadly. Also just got back from Tron. Daft Punk. That is all.

Yeah, the score is amazing. I love the sound track :). How'd you like the movie itself?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I'm currently having trouble understanding why Final Fantasy VII was considered such a masterpiece. I mean I'm enjoying it, but on a meta level, in that I'm enjoying watching how incredibly corny and lame it is, like how people enjoy watching B movies. You know all of those supposed anime stereotypes that people like to say that are in everything anime themed and aren't really? Well, they actually are all in this game. And it has probably the worst dialog I've ever seen in a mainstream game.

God, this game is bad. It's so bad it's good, but still.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I'm currently having trouble understanding why Final Fantasy VII was considered such a masterpiece. I mean I'm enjoying it, but on a meta level, in that I'm enjoying watching how incredibly corny and lame it is, like how people enjoy watching B movies. You know all of those supposed anime stereotypes that people like to say that are in everything anime themed and aren't really? Well, they actually are all in this game. And it has probably the worst dialog I've ever seen in a mainstream game.

GabuEx
I never could understand the story really. The music and the FMV were what made me love that game.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

JordanElek

I never could understand the story really. The music and the FMV were what made me love that game.

Shinra is sucking up the planet's life force to create power and they want to find the Promised Land because Aeris is special and she can do that but then Sephiroth is like NO HAY U GUYZ DONT DO THAT and pwns some Shinra n00bs and then the ragtag band of heroes leaves Midgar to go do some **** that Christ I'm actually playing the game and I don't even know what's going on.

This game are sick.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 haziqonfire
True fact, I've never played a FF game properly. I've played some for a few minutes but thats it.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#14 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
THE Wiifan001 reporting. His attempts to be as freekin annoying as possible are going to be icing on that freekin cake compared to this one. Or maybe it won't... Only FF game I've ever played was My Life as a Darklord and that was a wiiware tower defense game.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

True fact, I've never played a FF game properly. I've played some for a few minutes but thats it.Haziqonfire

I never really got into the older ones, but 10 owned my life for an entire Christmas break. I would definitely recommend picking it up if you can find it or even have a PS2/BCPS3

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 snowman6251
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="snowman6251"]Not a huge fan of the new name sadly. Also just got back from Tron. Daft Punk. That is all.

Yeah, the score is amazing. I love the sound track :). How'd you like the movie itself?

Oh the movie was fine too. For me though it was less about the plot and more about the spectacle. The way the Tron world is colored is so genius in its simplicity. For me it was really more of a light show to go along to a Daft Punk concert. Also Olivia Wilde = DAMN
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Jordan, I like what you've done with the place.

On the FFVII conversation... i will defend the game til the end. I don't know what it is but I just love the game, and it's not the "so bad it's good" thing either. I just love the atmosphere and characters. Yeah it's cheesy and cliche, but it has some charm that keeps drawing me back in and pretty much every RPG I play I measure up to this game.

Plus, don't forget, it was made in 1997 so this type of game had not been played-out yet.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 commonfate

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]True fact, I've never played a FF game properly. I've played some for a few minutes but thats it.WreckEm711

I never really got into the older ones, but 10 owned my life for an entire Christmas break. I would definitely recommend picking it up if you can find it or even have a PS2/BCPS3

10 is so good. Combat is good, story is one of the best out there (in any game, not just Final Fantasy), loads of extra stuff to do at the end of the game. I loved Final Fantasy 10. Too bad X-2 didn't hold up as well.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wiifan001
Speaking of FFX, anyone else on the gamefaqs game of the decade? The final four, and get this: Final Fantasy X, Fallout 3, Smash Bros Brawl, and somehow Majora's Mask :o Not that I'm really against it, but I never imagined it would get past Windwaker, alone beat Metal Gear Solid 3 and make the final four.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's so #*%#@* sad that I knew what he named the thread after

Goodnight everyone, I'm going to cry myself to sleep now

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wiifan001
OK! ok, I get why it's called 8.5 now.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GabuEx

Speaking of FFX, anyone else on the gamefaqs game of the decade? The final four, and get this: Final Fantasy X, Fallout 3, Smash Bros Brawl, and somehow Majora's Mask :o Not that I'm really against it, but I never imagined it would get past Windwaker, alone beat Metal Gear Solid 3 and make the final four.wiifan001

Majora's Mask was an excellent game, far eclipsing its overrated predecessor... :P

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
True fact, I've never played a FF game properly. I've played some for a few minutes but thats it.Haziqonfire
I've never played a Final Fantasy game ever. Thumbs up if you didn't either.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wiifan001

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]Speaking of FFX, anyone else on the gamefaqs game of the decade? The final four, and get this: Final Fantasy X, Fallout 3, Smash Bros Brawl, and somehow Majora's Mask :o Not that I'm really against it, but I never imagined it would get past Windwaker, alone beat Metal Gear Solid 3 and make the final four.GabuEx

Majora's Mask was an excellent game, far eclipsing its overrated predecessor... :P

Don't. Freekin. Start. I've heard countless wrong opinions on the wii forum, including the last off topic forum, and I don't want to start out here dealing with hearing wrong opinions from you or anyone else.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 roboccs

Just played the Mass Effect 2 demo, it's quite long. I finished the first mission and it was to continue which is awesome. I wished it would have asked me if I wanted ot save because it wouldn't let me in-game. I need to hit the hay so I shut it off meaning I probably have to do it all over again.

Seems like it's pretty much a shooter with an involving story. I don't like shooters much but this game seems like it's more. I hate FPS but I loved Metroid Prime because of exploration and story (yes it has a story... a great story if you dig it up). This probaby is lacking exploration but the story may be able to carry the game so I'll probably get this one and hope the RPG and story aspects of the game make the shooter parts fun.

And Ocarina is the best Zelda.

And don't hate Final Fantasies cuz they're popular and have wacky fanboy following... because so does Nintendo...

Goodnight now!!

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

Nice new thread, I think I get the 8.5 :P

Merry Christmas everyone.

My 2000th post :o

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 commonfate

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]Speaking of FFX, anyone else on the gamefaqs game of the decade? The final four, and get this: Final Fantasy X, Fallout 3, Smash Bros Brawl, and somehow Majora's Mask :o Not that I'm really against it, but I never imagined it would get past Windwaker, alone beat Metal Gear Solid 3 and make the final four.GabuEx

It beat Wind Waker?

I'm very sad...

My favorite Zelda game too :(

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 commonfate

Just played the Mass Effect 2 demo, it's quite long. I finished the first mission and it was to continue which is awesome. I wished it would have asked me if I wanted ot save because it wouldn't let me in-game. I need to hit the hay so I shut it off meaning I probably have to do it all over again.

Seems like it's pretty much a shooter with an involving story. I don't like shooters much but this game seems like it's more. I hate FPS but I loved Metroid Prime because of exploration and story (yes it has a story... a great story if you dig it up). This probaby is lacking exploration but the story may be able to carry the game so I'll probably get this one and hope the RPG and story aspects of the game make the shooter parts fun.

And Ocarina is the best Zelda.

And don't hate Final Fantasies cuz they're popular and have wacky fanboy following... because so does Nintendo...

Goodnight now!!

roboccs

Metroid Prime was awesome, truly one of the best titles of all time, not just the Gamecube.

Mass Effect 1 had tons of exploration and side stuff to do, I thought Mass Effect 2 just made it better :?

Fanboys are everywhere, but for some reason Final Fantasy seems to get the worst of it :P

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

I, for one, very much enjoyed the thread's title.

Good job, sir. Good job indeed.

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#30 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

JordanElek

I agree with Jordan (except for the most part, I followed the story somewhat solidly). But upon *initial* watching of the game (my cousin rented it even though he's not into RPGs like that) I was most impressed with the cutscenes and the graphics which were great at that time. After a while I started really liking the characters too but that was mostly after I played it myself. I realize this game isn't gonna be everyone's cup of tea but if I hadn't played it out so much way back when, I could still go back and play it because it's that great of a game. I'd give it about an 8.5/10. It's my favorite Final Fantasy game that I've played (I either played VII or III first, I'm not sure but like them both).

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 snowman6251
I'm guessing the 8.5 is referencing a review score but I don't know which one. Anyone care to enlighten me?
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
reading jordan's last post in the old lounge, apparently i got a wart? i are confused...
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GabuEx

I'm guessing the 8.5 is referencing a review score but I don't know which one. Anyone care to enlighten me?snowman6251

All of them, really.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 haziqonfire

Don't. Freekin. Start. I've heard countless wrong opinions on the wii forum, including the last off topic forum, and I don't want to start out here dealing with hearing wrong opinions from you or anyone else.wiifan001

I don't think OoT is the best Zelda either.

My favourites are Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. lol.

dtno132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 dtno132
Member since 2008 • 1662 Posts
a new one? what's the occasion? blah, its been a while since ive ever been on the forum, i still feel so lost. D: never really REALLY posted in an OT thread... how do you guys do this? lol
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 roboccs

I wasn't sure what review was being referred to either, I first guessed DKCR, then I realized that aside from SMG 1-2, pretty much any good wii game has a default rating of 8.5 if I'm not mistaken.

DDRMom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DDRMom
Member since 2008 • 1360 Posts

JordanElek wrote in the old thread...

"I usually do a year-in-review post before I make the new thread, but I just skimmed through the first couple of pages of this thread and spotted the word "clicketyclick" several times and decided that I'm too lazy to do a year-in-review post. I think I was too lazy last year, too..... 8800 posts is a lot!

So what do you guys remember from this year? Off the top of my head, I remember HipYoungster got banned and bob stopped posting as much and DDRMom almost stopped posting completely thanks to Jason but still visits sometimes to warm our hearts and something about baseball and something about the PS3 and starwarsjunky got a wart and then Canada and then I'm lazy.

The end. Next."

Hope it's ok that I copied this from the other thread, I didn't get a chance to answer before it was locked.

I miss seeing click's posts, I may not have always agreed with her but she always gave me something to think about. Of course having another woman post is always nice as well. :)

FTR I didn't stop posting because of Jason...well maybe a tiny bit because of him :P Things got hectic for me in the fall, I started looking for a job, got sidetracked when I found a lump in my thyroid and then my Dad got sick and was put in the hospital. Dad passed away November 30. Needless to say I haven't been following gaming as much nor getting a lot of time to play, adult life has intruded into my reality. I'm getting...I mean the kids are getting some new games (GoldenEye, Wii Party, UDraw & Dood's Big Adventure, DKCR and if I can find it the Mario collection) so that will keep me busy for a while.

Other notables from last year's thread... pokemon, Madden, anime, football, Danger_Ranger, sports games, Jason's xbox fanaticism, pokemon & anime. :)

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 starwarsjunky
starwarsjunky got a wart DDRMom
i wanna know what this means :cry: :P
DDRMom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DDRMom
Member since 2008 • 1360 Posts
[QUOTE="DDRMom"] starwarsjunky got a wart starwarsjunky

I copied it from the other thread. Did you get a wart?
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 starwarsjunky
[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="DDRMom"] starwarsjunky got a wart DDRMom

I copied it from the other thread. Did you get a wart?

yeah i saw his post in the other. and no i didnt. which is why i'm so confused. :(
Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
On the topic of Final Fantasy games, I've played 2 of them, the original and 4 DS, but I still haven't finished either of them. I do like what I've played of them so far though, especially with 4 DS. I really want to go back and finish it sometime, especially since I think I'm pretty close to the end of the game.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 haziqonfire
LOL. The wart mystery continues...
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 starwarsjunky
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]LOL. The wart mystery continues...

*hunts down jordan, demanding an answer
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 haziqonfire

Don't worry, I solved it:

You DID have a wart. WHY ARE YOU HIDING THINGS FROM US? :(

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 snowman6251

Haziqonfire

It's a twist!

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 haziqonfire

Ew. You know a movie is bad whenever he is involved lol.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 starwarsjunky

Haziqonfire

i'm so confused...

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 starwarsjunky
oh, you mean THIS wart? *pulls down pants*
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 haziqonfire

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

starwarsjunky

i'm so confused...

You wrote it! Unless ... that day ... it wasn't you. Maybe it was startrekjunky - Your evil twin.