The Official Ds lite "Cracking" Epidemic Thread ( With Poll )

• 186 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Polychief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#1 Polychief
Member since 2004 • 511 Posts
I'm starting this thread to get rid of all the other ones out there on the same topic. The cracking epidemic started recently and has been gaining steam on forums, blogs, and game news sites. Although losts of people have reported this problem, it is not considered an epidemic yet, but could be soon. Nintendo might have to start a recall of systems.

The problem is supposed to be purely cosmetical, but one person has reported that a intendo customer support rep. said that the audio/visual cables run through there and that the crack could eventually harm the sound and video of ure system over time.

recall anyone?

EDIT: i added the poll to see howmany people actually have a crack (btw, the tiny hairline most people are seeing is just a manufacturing thing on every ds lite, its a line that is on both hinges, note, if ure crack is in the middle or higher of the left hinge, its a crack, but i its in the bottom and right next to the big hinge in the middle, its not a crack.
professer_fro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 professer_fro
Member since 2004 • 89 Posts

*cry* i want a recall. it works but is not playable anymore.
Avatar image for videogamegirl05
videogamegirl05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 videogamegirl05
Member since 2004 • 21306 Posts

that scares me, I hope the same doesn't happen to mines :(

I didn't get a warranty >_>

So, does it just randomly break?  

professer_fro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 professer_fro
 i gotta say from want i have heard and seen. mine is the worst case. ya it was random.
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
i gotta say from want i have heard and seen. mine is the worst case. ya it was random.
professer_fro
by random, you mean dropping it? maybe yours cracked, but there is no way that piece broke off by itself.  anyway, just return it to walmart.  it doesnt matter if you didnt buy it there
-DeathWish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -DeathWish-
Member since 2006 • 376 Posts
Well i dropped mine.I stupidly put in the charger and put the ds on a table in the middle of the kitchen.And the ds charger was rite in the middle of the walk way.A few mintues later i hear the phone ring,but i didnt care and when i heard my friend on the voice mail i ran  to go get it and boom.I trip across the wire.DS goes flying across the hard tile flooring.I was freaking out.Nothing bad happened except a ton of scratches on the back you ca n only see under the sunlight.and a semi big scratch under the rite button.Thank god.
professer_fro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 professer_fro
it broke off well opening the ds. i never dropped it.

anyways, i bought mine at EB games and got a warranty. will they except my ds.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#8 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
:lol: mine slipped out of my hands and fell on an oak floor today and nothing happened to it
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bunchofpixels
it broke off well opening the ds. i never dropped it.

anyways, i bought mine at EB games and got a warranty. will they except my ds.
professer_fro
try it. if not, return it to walmart and tell them it doesnt work. they will exchange it for a new one, but only charge you sales tax because you dont have a proof of sale from walmart. of course dont mention you didnt buy it there.
the_orc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_orc
Member since 2003 • 4817 Posts
What the hell? me and 2 of my cousins have yet to see any cracking on our ds's
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bunchofpixels
What the hell? me and 2 of my cousins have yet to see any cracking on our ds'sthe_orc
why do you say what the hell? do you feel like you are missing out?
the_orc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_orc
Member since 2003 • 4817 Posts
[QUOTE="the_orc"]What the hell? me and 2 of my cousins have yet to see any cracking on our ds'sbunchofpixels

No now i'm worried.
Nintenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Nintenja
Member since 2005 • 183 Posts
That sucks. They oughtta fix that before I get one.
-DeathWish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -DeathWish-
[QUOTE="the_orc"]What the hell? me and 2 of my cousins have yet to see any cracking on our ds'sbunchofpixels

Hehe made me chuckle. ^ ^
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bunchofpixels
[QUOTE="bunchofpixels"][QUOTE="the_orc"]What the hell? me and 2 of my cousins have yet to see any cracking on our ds's-DeathWish-

Hehe made me chuckle. ^ ^

glad to hear it.
Son-Gohan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Son-Gohan
Member since 2003 • 45 Posts
um, mine has a crack on the hinge, i have a question for those who have the hinge crack, is there a click when you open  it all the way ? same question for those who dont have the crack
-DeathWish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -DeathWish-

um, mine has a crack on the hinge, i have a question for those who have the hinge crack, is there a click when you open  it all the way ? same question for those who dont have the crack Son-Gohan

If you mean when you open the DS yeah their is a click.I don't hav a crack. 

dadeisvenm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 dadeisvenm
Member since 2003 • 1865 Posts

Never dropped ... well handled.... cracked
ShaolinKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 ShaolinKilla
Member since 2003 • 42 Posts
Umm i don't know why nobody has mentioned this before but u do realize that Nintendo gives u a full 1 year warranty, when it comes to Nintendo those 3rd party warranty offers are completely there for suckers.  Best Buy and EB/Gamestop are all just after your G@D D@mn money.

In my case with the original DS i had 1 messed up pixel and they sent me another DS and told me once the other DS came to use the supplied shipping label and send the other one back to them.  That has simply got to be the easiest and best service I've ever recieved from any electronic returning process.
VFXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFXman
Member since 2004 • 2448 Posts
I was surprised when I heard the news about cracking problems because mine too has a very small crack on the left hinge. I admit I was dissopointed in seeing a crack on my brand new system, but it's something you soon ignore and your Ds lite isn't in any danger of falling apart. Atleast mine isn't, it's only a hairthin, anyway.
Beymaster1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Beymaster1
Member since 2004 • 503 Posts
i think mines alright but i got this sound problem when i put brain age in..at the startup the starup tone sounds like theres a double tone but when i put mario kart in its normal i hope this doesnt keep happening in the future though
NateDawg18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NateDawg18
Member since 2004 • 82 Posts

I was surprised when I heard the news about cracking problems because mine too has a very small crack on the left hinge. I admit I was dissopointed in seeing a crack on my brand new system, but it's something you soon ignore and your Ds lite isn't in any danger of falling apart. Atleast mine isn't, it's only a hairthin, anyway.VFXman

After hearing all this, i was like "I'm glad mines fine" So i had to check, and like yours, mines a hair thin, kind of makes me mad, think it'll get worse?

dadeisvenm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 dadeisvenm
Member since 2003 • 1865 Posts

[QUOTE="VFXman"]I was surprised when I heard the news about cracking problems because mine too has a very small crack on the left hinge. I admit I was dissopointed in seeing a crack on my brand new system, but it's something you soon ignore and your Ds lite isn't in any danger of falling apart. Atleast mine isn't, it's only a hairthin, anyway.NateDawg18

After hearing all this, i was like "I'm glad mines fine" So i had to check, and like yours, mines a hair thin, kind of makes me mad, think it'll get worse?

YES j/k to be honest who knows
crispyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 crispyo
Member since 2005 • 1801 Posts
Is it only the polar white? Does anyone have a different color that has a crack on the hinge?
thisisjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#26 thisisjosh
Member since 2005 • 2845 Posts
Is it only the polar white? Does anyone have a different color that has a crack on the hinge?crispyo
no, none of the Lites i have, have cracks, but they were all imports. maybe all the white ones seem to have them because they were rushed to to meet the demand and made quickly for the US launch. i don't know. but anyway, there are 2 navy Lites i can see, and neither have cracks.
spokeydonkey3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 spokeydonkey3
Member since 2006 • 83 Posts
If it wouldn't have been for this forum I wouldn't og noticed it but mine has a crack in it too... and I was just thinking this is ridiculous mine will never get cracked but there it is above the L button, oh well as long as no more problems persist i'm fine with it.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

joy a crack...

DavidBrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DavidBrent
Member since 2002 • 9769 Posts
I didn't think the crack problem was so widespread, but today I checked mine out. Lo and behold, a small hairline crack on the hinge exactly where everyone else's is. Nintendo should fix this. Mine is purely cosmetic at the moment, but it's still inexcusable. I'm 26, I'm the only person who has ever used it, it's never been dropped, it is always in it's case when I'm not using it, and I treat it very well. This shouldn't happen.
rulo_rezn0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 rulo_rezn0r
Member since 2006 • 1351 Posts

wow

i want a DS, but after all this...

I better wait for this problem to be solved by nintendo manufacturers  and stuff

sinsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sinsur
Member since 2003 • 48 Posts
lol i bet you guys snaping it open some times do you? i dont think you open it carefully without to much force. a crack like that cant apear from. nothing its clear you use to much power to open ur ds im sure.
Char1es

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Char1es
Member since 2004 • 341 Posts
:( ive been really careful with mine, but sure enough, i can see the beginnings of a crack in the exact same place.

this doesnt bode well for nintendo
risingsuntzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 risingsuntzu
Member since 2004 • 481 Posts
You can add me to the cracked hinge list as well. Looks like this problem is really wide spread. I have taken great care and have always been incredibly careful with my DS. Man talk about bad luck, my First DS lite had a dead pixle now i have a broken hinge. My lucky day.
pwnednooblet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pwnednooblet
Member since 2006 • 171 Posts
This is quite fustrating but i was just wondering if anyone from australia had this problem
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
wow, a few thousand at most crack and all of a suddenly its an epidemic...wow...and I thought Russia was having an epidemic...oh well its nowhere as bad as the dreaded DS LITE CRACK syndrome (sarcasm)

Btw, just to make sure there is supposed to be a line there, those points are manufactured in. A crack would be much wider
Ernice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#36 Ernice
Member since 2005 • 1269 Posts
so far mine has no cracks. and i hope it stays that way. mine is the black one btw. anyway, has anyone heard of a black version cracking ? cos all the pictures i saw are all for white ones. i hope the black ones are immune.than i can rest easy.
synapticflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 synapticflow
Member since 2003 • 204 Posts

I got a black DS Lite from England.  I'll be in a deep mess if mine cracks.  Paying international shipping for a replacement will be a hassle.  I will probably just carefully apply some plastic cement to a needle and attempt to "heal" the wound.

sinsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sinsur
ok mine has this lines too but as i looked at em on my ds they look relay alot like plasticpresslines created by a machine. i got it on both sides and it looks like there are coming two parts together   like this one side ( and the mid pols is an o and the other side )   ...:   (O)  <- put together  then theres a line....not a crack
synapticflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 synapticflow
Member since 2003 • 204 Posts

I just checked and it looks ok... harder to see on a black DS.  I'm gonna buy some plastic cement anyway.  Of course no more opening the DS all the way.

goldenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 goldenfreak
Member since 2003 • 1190 Posts
mine is still like new :D
Smitty3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Smitty3000
Member since 2006 • 50 Posts
I havent had any problems. Thank God!
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 jNerd
Member since 2005 • 7598 Posts

Since I have no picz of what mine actually looked like after it cracked, I'm posting a picture of 4 other people's DS Lite with the EXACT SAME CRACK IN THE EXACT SAME PLACE!!!! I got my replaced through GameStop though, thank god.

irmeleeman5995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#43 irmeleeman5995
Member since 2005 • 2484 Posts
I'm so glad I held off on a Lite until they get everything straightened out.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Since I have no picz of what mine actually looked like after it cracked, I'm posting a picture of 4 other people's DS Lite with the EXACT SAME CRACK IN THE EXACT SAME PLACE!!!! I got my replaced through GameStop though, thank god.

CheezyFrog
I see an elonged space, but it doesn't look cracked. Are you sure that some DSs dont have these put in on purpose? I mean does the screen wobble like its loose or anything? If not its probably an intentional part for the manufaccture of some units
Infectellect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 Infectellect
Member since 2005 • 588 Posts

Question: To those who have a crack.

Do you click your DS open the intended way? It should be open to about 150 degree angle. Or, do you open it all of the way until it is vertical? 

sinsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sinsur
ok this are real cracks but i wonder how u get that XD....not of normal use imho
bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts
Good thing I was one of the few who stayed with the DS "fat" 8)
Belgarion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Belgarion88
Member since 2005 • 378 Posts
Yup same thing happened to me. though one thing im wondering, if EB lets me replace it, chances are are that my new one will also get a crack, then what? get it replaced again?
DavidBrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DavidBrent
Member since 2002 • 9769 Posts
[QUOTE="Articuno76"] I see an elonged space, but it doesn't look cracked. Are you sure that some DSs dont have these put in on purpose? I mean does the screen wobble like its loose or anything? If not its probably an intentional part for the manufaccture of some units

"it doesn't look cracked"? If you look closely, you can tell each one is slightly different. And to sinsur, who says it's just the line from the plastic molding, it's not. And no, I don't click my DS open all the way, I take very very good care of it, and it's cracked.
Famicomman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 Famicomman
Member since 2006 • 2467 Posts

Hay I was a disbelevier about the crack epdemic. I belevied that people were handling their DSL to ruff but yesterday at 7:45 I changed out Animal Crossing for NSB. and I say a hair line crack close to were the L button is :shock: I was like OMG!!WTH!! I had always took great care of it ever sience I got it on the 1st day of relese!!! I only dropped once and that was only a foot or less...But that was a mounth agoand I didn't see a crack...It sucks cause I didn't keep the receite and the box so I can't return it...:cry:..the only reason I'm scared is cause I don't want mine to end up like this...

professer_fro