The Off Topic Lounge: Wara Wara OTiiverse Plaza Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#2101 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]anybody want xcom:enemy unknown on steam? i got 2 extra copies.wiifan001

Yo! You still have one extra copy?

I'm open for it pretty please!

And I'll throw in my id.

Sandvalanche. the unstoppable force of nature Avalanche of Sand.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2102 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="starwarsjunky"] steam says otherwise. link to your profile?

here.

would help if you'd accept the request ;) lol
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2103 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Members of the board , someone amongst us is a junky, of charitable greatness.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2104 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="starwarsjunky"] steam says otherwise. link to your profile?

here.

Sorry. Just did.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2105 starwarsjunky
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] here.

Sorry. Just did.

you should have it.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2106 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts
I finished Pikmin 3. Now I want to play through it again. It's a great game, way better than I expected it to be.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2107 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
Anyone watching gamescom? I had no idea it was taking place and would be streamed. Since I have an office day today, I'll probably run the EA and Sony briefings in the background. Nothing from EA is all that interesting but they say they'll show some Dragon Age Inquisition so that may be worth it. Hopefully some good PS4 info will be provided too. Hopefully it'll at least make the work day go by a little faster....
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2108 haziqonfire
Get ready for some big changes on GameSpot!
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2109 starwarsjunky
Get ready for some big changes on GameSpot! Haziqonfire
not a fan of most...
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2110 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Get ready for some big changes on GameSpot! starwarsjunky
not a fan of most...

I'm okay with most. Posts per page wise I want options. Signature wise, I was against having them at all, but seems people still want them. I've had them hidden for years.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2111 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Get ready for some big changes on GameSpot! Haziqonfire
Jeez, getting rid of unions sucks. There's really not any way to make up for them either, besides moving offsite.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2112 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Get ready for some big changes on GameSpot! meetroid8
Jeez, getting rid of unions sucks. There's really not any way to make up for them either, besides moving offsite.

I actually didn't read all of Lark's announcement about it, I skimmed it last night. I read it this morning and he basically says what I assumed. Web traffic for those pages is low, so they're getting rid of them. The one UCB I used to post a lot in (OTB) has basically been on the decline for years. Instead I use NeoGAF for that stuff or reddit's hiphopheads forum. I know it's bad to say "go somewhere else" but ... that's what I ended up doing lol.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2113 roboccs
Interesting... I knew changes were coming. I read somewhere on the site that there was some closed beta and that there were some big changes coming. Most of these don't effect me too much. I was only in 1 union a few years ago and it died a few years ago. Sigs are no big deal to me either and the levels, etc. are just window dressing... The posts for page thing bugs me. I think I have mine set at 50. Hopefully these changes won't be incentive for the regulars on this WiiOTLounge to leave... :(
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2114 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="roboccs"]Interesting... I knew changes were coming. I read somewhere on the site that there was some closed beta and that there were some big changes coming. Most of these don't effect me too much. I was only in 1 union a few years ago and it died a few years ago. Sigs are no big deal to me either and the levels, etc. are just window dressing... The posts for page thing bugs me. I think I have mine set at 50. Hopefully these changes won't be incentive for the regulars on this WiiOTLounge to leave... :(

They'll be back.... they always come back! Also Wreck, weren't you the one who talked highly of Retro City Rampage on WiiWare? It's coming to the 3DS now, it looks kind of cool.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2115 roboccs
Do we think the new forums will have less glitches? :lol:
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2116 haziqonfire
Do we think the new forums will have less glitches? :lol:roboccs
Let's hope so lol.
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2117 TxTech1923
Member since 2013 • 662 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="roboccs"]Interesting... I knew changes were coming. I read somewhere on the site that there was some closed beta and that there were some big changes coming. Most of these don't effect me too much. I was only in 1 union a few years ago and it died a few years ago. Sigs are no big deal to me either and the levels, etc. are just window dressing... The posts for page thing bugs me. I think I have mine set at 50. Hopefully these changes won't be incentive for the regulars on this WiiOTLounge to leave... :(

They'll be back.... they always come back! Also Wreck, weren't you the one who talked highly of Retro City Rampage on WiiWare? It's coming to the 3DS now, it looks kind of cool.

Yup, it's an awesome game, the references and Easter eggs are reason enough to own it :)
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2118 haziqonfire

For those of you wondering about the redesign, Lark Anderson showed off some of the layout in the Hangouts Session today - and Alexis Gallisa (one of the designers) posted a picture the top of the home page here.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2120 roboccs

For those of you wondering about the redesign, Lark Anderson showed off some of the layout in the Hangouts Session today - and Alexis Gallisa (one of the designers) posted a picture the top of the home page here.

Haziqonfire
So what are your impressions? Does it seem legit?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2121 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Looks like they took GiantBomb and replaced the logo from what Haz linked

Personally this place is going to hell, the redesign confirms it. No one cares about this site at all, they're too involved in the media side of things and not about the useability of the site. Taking away things that the users use seems wrong to me.

I love the smoke and mirror things though "oh we have so much traffic and unions only make up for a teeny tiny piece"

Well yeah no kidding, that's because most of the traffic you have are people who walk in and out of here and don't care about the site itself. Unions on the other hand care about what's going on here because they BUILT something here.

It doesn't take a marketing major to figure out that if you cater to the users they become loyal to a site

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2122 haziqonfire

So what are your impressions? Does it seem legit?roboccs

It looks similar to Giant Bomb which isn't surprising since the designer I mentioned is the same as Giant Bomb's.

I think the design is pretty good, plus it looks like there's some meaningful changes coming to the site. Yesterday during the live chat they talked about a few improvements. The "20 point system" is gone now in favour of a 10 point system, meaning only whole numbers now.

They also talked about the reviews now having second opinions from other GameSpot editors. The reasoning behind it was that people play games for different reasons or in different ways so they want to have multiple perspectives. They're also going to be re-reviewing some games, though it seems genre specific - like a MOBA. 

Looks like they took GiantBomb and replaced the logo from what Haz linked

Personally this place is going to hell, the redesign confirms it. No one cares about this site at all, they're too involved in the media side of things and not about the useability of the site. Taking away things that the users use seems wrong to me.

I love the smoke and mirror things though "oh we have so much traffic and unions only make up for a teeny tiny piece"

Well yeah no kidding, that's because most of the traffic you have are people who walk in and out of here and don't care about the site itself. Unions on the other hand care about what's going on here because they BUILT something here.

It doesn't take a marketing major to figure out that if you cater to the users they become loyal to a site

Jaysonguy

Lark addressed this in the Google Hangouts session.

They're firm on not keeping Union's around in their current form but are offering leaders of the most popular unions to keep those unions as their own board. The only difference is that the leaders of those unions will not be given the tools they currently have, meaning you cannot restrict membership and leaders don't have the ability to sticky/close threads.

He also talked about having more boards dedicated to specific lifestyle topics. He mentioned anime and wrestling boards.

So while it might not be the most optimal solution, they're being open about how to handle it. Remember that the current GameSpot system is 15 years old, so transitioning to an entirely new built from the ground up site is going to take a lot of work. 

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2123 roboccs
Second opinions on reviews isn't a bad thing because people look at totally different things and grade down/up for different things. I have no problem with Tom Mc'Shea, it's just that he is so nit-picky and will really kill a game for very minor issues that are mostly personal issues to him. I have no problem with him being tough about giving every game and 8 or 9. And on podcasts he has said that 7.5 is a very good score which I agree with. That way, the 8 and above classification won't be so watered down. It's just on those same poscasts, his nit-picks are just outrageous some times and will kill a game for some stupid crap. If a game isn't life changing or earth shattering it gets a lot of criticism.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2124 JordanElek

Second opinions on reviews isn't a bad thing because people look at totally different things and grade down/up for different things. I have no problem with Tom Mc'Shea, it's just that he is so nit-picky and will really kill a game for very minor issues that are mostly personal issues to him. I have no problem with him being tough about giving every game and 8 or 9. And on podcasts he has said that 7.5 is a very good score which I agree with. That way, the 8 and above classification won't be so watered down. It's just on those same poscasts, his nit-picks are just outrageous some times and will kill a game for some stupid crap. If a game isn't life changing or earth shattering it gets a lot of criticism.roboccs
I yell at McShea at least once per podcast. The latest example was when he said people shouldn't attack developers so harshly (in response to the Phil Fish thing) then a half hour later he said the Bioshock Infinite team should just quit because they're so terrible at designing combat.

At least Kevin VanOrd Is a smart, level-headed counter to that.

Having a second opinion for reviews is okay, but that's not the most vital improvement they could make with reviews. Looking over the Wonderful 101 reviews from various sites, only ONE of them described the combat system in any kind of detail. Reviewers seem to be drifting away from giving us critical information about a game we're interested in spending money on and trying too hard to offer more artistic criticism. There's a place for that, but it's not in a numbered review, unless the review fully describes how the game works as well. Gamespot seems to want to focus more on social commentary (at least in the way the editors talk about review theory on the podcast), which is fine with me, but it keeps getting in the way of telling us how well a game is put together as a thing we play.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2125 roboccs
.... and trying too hard to offer more artistic criticism. JordanElek
I think this right here sums it up perfectly; very well put. I do remember at one of the last few E3's Mc'Shea interviewed a big-wig from one of the big FPS developers (can't remember if it was CoD or Battlefield or what) and he was grilling this developer on how disrespectful it was to have regenerating health in a war-sim. I was sitting there thinking "Dude, it's still a video game... getting killed in one-shot would not make for a fun game..." Then I think the developer basically brought up the same thing and Mc'Shea didn't really have a good response... Don't ask me why I keep bringing him up... I really have no huge problem with the guy. I am interested in what he has to say during the Gameplay podcasts... :P
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2126 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"] .... and trying too hard to offer more artistic criticism. roboccs
I think this right here sums it up perfectly; very well put. I do remember at one of the last few E3's Mc'Shea interviewed a big-wig from one of the big FPS developers (can't remember if it was CoD or Battlefield or what) and he was grilling this developer on how disrespectful it was to have regenerating health in a war-sim. I was sitting there thinking "Dude, it's still a video game... getting killed in one-shot would not make for a fun game..." Then I think the developer basically brought up the same thing and Mc'Shea didn't really have a good response... Don't ask me why I keep bringing him up... I really have no huge problem with the guy. I am interested in what he has to say during the Gameplay podcasts... :P

That was the Medal of Honor dev I think.

Every once in awhile, they play Metagame on the podcast. McShea wins every time. He's really good at making things up and trying to justify inconsistencies and ridiculous arguments with rhetoric. I think that works against him a lot of the time because he convinces himself that what he's saying is reasonable and true when it's still just as ridiculous even though it sounds good.

That drives me crazy because I used to totally be like that (and still am when I'm not careful) and it keeps you from learning anything. He could be really, really good at his job if he would recognize that.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2127 haziqonfire

I think this right here sums it up perfectly; very well put. I do remember at one of the last few E3's Mc'Shea interviewed a big-wig from one of the big FPS developers (can't remember if it was CoD or Battlefield or what) and he was grilling this developer on how disrespectful it was to have regenerating health in a war-sim. I was sitting there thinking "Dude, it's still a video game... getting killed in one-shot would not make for a fun game..." Then I think the developer basically brought up the same thing and Mc'Shea didn't really have a good response... Don't ask me why I keep bringing him up... I really have no huge problem with the guy. I am interested in what he has to say during the Gameplay podcasts... :Proboccs

That was the last Medal of Honor I think.

I remember that, lol.

He posts on NeoGAF too and I remember him posting in the NBA thread during the playoffs. Let's just say his commentary about the games made people quote him a lot and it made me laugh more than it should've. 

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2128 roboccs
That drives me crazy because I used to totally be like that (and still am when I'm not careful) JordanElek
:lol: I'm the total opposite. I'm just a really bad arguer in a debate in person. Even if I know I'm right and have facts to back it up, I either am bad at recalling those facts in a pinch or I am just bad at thinking of actually examples even when there are some! I'd be a horrible lawyer.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2129 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]That drives me crazy because I used to totally be like that (and still am when I'm not careful) roboccs
:lol: I'm the total opposite. I'm just a really bad arguer in a debate in person. Even if I know I'm right and have facts to back it up, I either am bad at recalling those facts in a pinch or I am just bad at thinking of actually examples even when there are some! I'd be a horrible lawyer.

Being genuine and sincere is more important, don't worry. ;)

And I don't think I'm very good with rhetoric. I meant that I would have an under-reasoned argument then dig in and try to logic my way to a well-reasoned argument and eventually convince myself more than I might convince others. I still do the hasty under-reasoned argument part, but I'm much better now at scrapping it as soon as I see a hole and starting with a different foundation.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2130 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
So we are all gonna be Level 1 again...?
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2131 roboccs
So we are all gonna be Level 1 again...?Rod90
That was my understanding from what I read.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2132 meetroid8
[QUOTE="Rod90"]So we are all gonna be Level 1 again...?roboccs

I thought they were doing away with levels entirely.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2133 JordanElek
[QUOTE="roboccs"][QUOTE="Rod90"]So we are all gonna be Level 1 again...?meetroid8

That's what they did with Toki Tori 2 and it was THE BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER CREATED so good call Gamespot.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2134 meetroid8
[QUOTE="JordanElek"][QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="roboccs"] That was my understanding from what I read.

That's what they did with Toki Tori 2 and it was THE BEST PUZZLE GAME EVER CREATED so good call Gamespot.

Toki Tori 2 was much more difficult than I'd expected it to be. I'll say I really liked how open it was, but the actual puzzles could be frustrating.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2135 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
[QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="JordanElek"][QUOTE="meetroid8"] I thought they were doing away with levels entirely.

Toki Tori 2 was much more difficult than I'd expected it to be. I'll say I really liked how open it was, but the actual puzzles could be frustrating.

What does Toki Tori has to do with anything. Good Lord...
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2136 JordanElek
[QUOTE="Rod90"] What does Toki Tori has to do with anything. Good Lord...

You should play it. Then you'd understand.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2137 roboccs
I would like to thank Jordan for telling me about The Besties podcast if for nothing else than their opening theme song... It's absolutely an awesome opening theme that gets stuck in my head for the entire day I listen to the podcast.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2138 JordanElek

I would like to thank Jordan for telling me about The Besties podcast if for nothing else than their opening theme song... It's absolutely an awesome opening theme that gets stuck in my head for the entire day I listen to the podcast.roboccs
LOL, yes indeed. The only one that revivals it is the GoNintendo opening theme, but the Besties song is just brilliant.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2139 roboccs

[QUOTE="roboccs"]I would like to thank Jordan for telling me about The Besties podcast if for nothing else than their opening theme song... It's absolutely an awesome opening theme that gets stuck in my head for the entire day I listen to the podcast.JordanElek

LOL, yes indeed. The only one that revivals it is the GoNintendo opening theme, but the Besties song is just brilliant.

Absolutely!! I love the Gonintendo theme!
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2140 TxTech1923
Woot, got my first new car ever, and got my DKC:TF preorder paid off :)
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2141 roboccs
Woot, got my first new car ever, and got my DKC:TF preorder paid off :)TxTech1923
Nice! Congrats! Sounds like everything's working out well for ya.
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2142 TxTech1923
[QUOTE="TxTech1923"]Woot, got my first new car ever, and got my DKC:TF preorder paid off :)roboccs
Nice! Congrats! Sounds like everything's working out well for ya.

Haha thanks man, my truck is almost 13 years old now, so deciding to go ahead and get something new was a big day for me :P
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2143 roboccs
How many miles did the old truck have on it? I imagine in Texas there is some good opportunity to pack on the mileage.
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2144 TxTech1923
How many miles did the old truck have on it? I imagine in Texas there is some good opportunity to pack on the mileage.roboccs
163k, not as much as some vehicles that age, but I had virtually no problems with it until 160k, it really held up well for me.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2145 haziqonfire
Breaking Bad is the best show on TV. Yesterday's episode ... omgggggggggg.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2146 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Breaking Bad is the best show on TV. Yesterday's episode ... omgggggggggg.

Man, that episode.... I felt so anxious after that episode. Was weird.
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2147 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Breaking Bad is the best show on TV. Yesterday's episode ... omgggggggggg.

agreed. i was on the edge of my seat the entire time
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2148 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Holy shit, so good. Seriously, maybe the best episode of the series so far.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2150 JordanElek

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Breaking Bad is the best show on TV. Yesterday's episode ... omgggggggggg.bob_newman
Holy shit, so good. Seriously, maybe the best episode of the series so far.

My Hulu queue is FINALLY down to zero, so I'll try to find a way to watch Breaking Bad from the beginning. I don't really want to pay for Netflix again since I just cancelled after I finished Arrested Development, but oh well.