The new DS ad campaign... WTF.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Nintendo, stop trying to push you crap on girls. It makes me embarassed to whip out the DS when every commercial you feature has some lame female celebrity pretending to enjoy the games.
Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts
lmao. i see those ones every now and then. they always look like they have no idea what they are playing. or liek they are just doin what a script told them to like someone just edits in the screen's gameplay later. lol
_Pinbot_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 _Pinbot_
Member since 2008 • 1062 Posts
I have to agree with you on this one. They will probably turn more people off than they will bring in. Nintendo isn't even marketing the DS as a game system, instead they are marketing it as a learning tool or something???
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

Those commercials are the reason my girl asked for one. She saw the commercial with the starlette playing "New Super Mario" and that was that. I bought her a pink DS and now she has the "Ny Times Crossword" game and Mario, and I think one more... but they worked on her (which benefits me and MY gaming habit) and she's not 13 years old, she's a lot harder sell... Nintendo is trying to open the door on one of the biggest untapped sources of revenue on the planet - women. Yeah, I know... the world used to be a lot simpler back when women couldn't vote or hold jobs, but we've come a long way... perhaps you guys should wake up here in the year 2008 quickly, before the calendars change yet again, and see what's going on. Women are all over the place, they pull down paychecks, and oddly enough they have been shown to actually like video games occasionally. That means that Nintendo wants to get in on those paychecks and make a little more money...

Or did you think that selling stuff to greasy losers like you and me was enough income? That they should maybe be content and stop pushing their product into new sales markets? Because if that were the case literally, then they shouldn't sell the bloody things outside JAPAN.

The other thing is, it's a commercial fellas. Try to relax. Believe me when I tell you that "whippin' out your DS" doesn't take a commercial featuring Miley Cirrus as a catalyst to make you look foolish to girls at the moment. But perhaps, if you are lucky like I am, the girl you are interested in might keep an open mind BECAUSE Nintendo is easing the association of video games by INCORPORATING the fairer sex in the hobby instead of excluding them.

This isn't a private club of sweaty-palmed Gundam-collecting zit cream-needing chuckleheads anymore... and thank Jah. Now, it's Saturday, it's rainy outside, and I'm going to curl up with my girlie and play a game.

Try it, it's fun!8)

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

Those commercials are the reason my girl asked for one. She saw the commercial with the starlette playing "New Super Mario" and that was that. I bought her a pink DS and now she has the "Ny Times Crossword" game and Mario, and I think one more... but they worked on her (which benefits me and MY gaming habit) and she's not 13 years old, she's a lot harder sell... Nintendo is trying to open the door on one of the biggest untapped sources of revenue on the planet - women. Yeah, I know... the world used to be a lot simpler back when women couldn't vote or hold jobs, but we've come a long way... perhaps you guys should wake up here in the year 2008 quickly, before the calendars change yet again, and see what's going on. Women are all over the place, they pull down paychecks, and oddly enough they have been shown to actually like video games occasionally. That means that Nintendo wants to get in on those paychecks and make a little more money...

Or did you think that selling stuff to greasy losers like you and me was enough income? That they should maybe be content and stop pushing their product into new sales markets? Because if that were the case literally, then they shouldn't sell the bloody things outside JAPAN.

The other thing is, it's a commercial fellas. Try to relax. Believe me when I tell you that "whippin' out your DS" doesn't take a commercial featuring Miley Cirrus as a catalyst to make you look foolish to girls at the moment. But perhaps, if you are lucky like I am, the girl you are interested in might keep an open mind BECAUSE Nintendo is easing the association of video games by INCORPORATING the fairer sex in the hobby instead of excluding them.

This isn't a private club of sweaty-palmed Gundam-collecting zit cream-needing chuckleheads anymore... and thank Jah. Now, it's Saturday, it's rainy outside, and I'm going to curl up with my girlie and play a game.

Try it, it's fun!8)

ston3henge

This post is so full of greatness that it made my eyes water to look at it.

I think the ads are genius. These celebrities were already playing games before doing the commercial, not just reading lines and pretending. Sure, they might not be "gamers" in the traditional sense, but the whole appeal of handhelds is that you can pick them up and quickly start to play for short bursts as a break between other things.

It tackles the biggest obstacle for females to get into gaming: the perception that it's not for them and they're not supposed to be doing it cuz it's a boy thing. It was, after all, the Game Boy, right? But the women in the ads aren't being shown playing as the girlfriends or wives of gaming guys, playing on the periphery and only with them. No, they're playing by themselves, for themselves. It sends the message to girls that it's okay to play. And because of that, they grow up to become women who don't look at gaming as nerdy. Wouldn't you want a gf who shares your love of games and wants to play with you?

aquajet16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 aquajet16
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts
Nintendo is just establishing a monopoly in the females when it comes to games. Seeing that girls think that most of the games on the other consoles are boyish and such. Well in accordance to that my female friend closes her eyes each time I play RE4. Funny though hahaha
GamerBoy53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 GamerBoy53
Member since 2008 • 2666 Posts
Yeah, they think that everyone will want to buy the games just because their favorite celebrity is "enjoying" it. Pathetic:roll:.
danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

Nintendo, stop trying to push you crap on girls. It makes me embarassed to whip out the DS when every commercial you feature has some lame female celebrity pretending to enjoy the games.istuffedsunny

I actually enjoy watching those ads however i wish i could buy those celebrities instead of the DS.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]Nintendo, stop trying to push you crap on girls. It makes me embarassed to whip out the DS when every commercial you feature has some lame female celebrity pretending to enjoy the games.danny5329

I actually enjoy watching those ads however i wish i could buy those celebrities instead of the DS.

:shock::P:lol: Yer a dirty ol' man, and my hat is off to you Sir! :lol:

I don't think the point of the commercials is to sell the celebrity association; I honestly don't think they're pushing the "Be Like So-and-So, Buy A Nintendo DS" because they don't tell you who these girls ARE, so there's no way (for me, an old dude or my girl, who's younger yet as I said, not a teen - or I'd be arrested, but that's a different thing altogether) to know who they are, and ad campaigns are usually MUCH more blunt about such matters... in the "science" of selling something, Madison Avenue leaves very little to the imagination of the consumer... read: They Figure You Are Dumb As A Bag Of Hammers. They spoon-feed those associations until you forget what the product was or why the person in question is a celebrity...

... I honestly think that they are just showing attractive young girls in the entertainment biz sitting in their trailers between takes or video shoots because someone saw it and said "Hey, what a great idea for a marketing campaign"... as an audio technician for the last twenty-one years I can tell you that there is a TON of down-time on TV shows and video shoots, and it wouldn't suprise me one bit if these girls HAD been introduced to "Mario Brothers" or "Nintendogs". Lawdy knows it's better than what Drew Barrymore was exposed to as a "time killer" in HER trailer back in the 80s... perhaps we can all be spared Hanna Montana O.D.-ing on Xannax for a few more years...

... but where's the harm? If it breaks down the barriers and makes things like that Playboy bunny playing the Wii in her underwear on YouTube (as well as being a crack shot on "HALO"), why are we QUESTIONING it at all? We should be saluting Nintendo with a big ol' turgid, tumecent salute for making it all possible... shattering the glass floor that girl gamers stand on (which is why we're all in the basement, to look up the skirts)... dumping them down in the squallor that IS male pattern gaming.

THANK YOU, NINTENDO!!!