The 'New 3DS' - Good or Bad?

GH05T-666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 1

Edited By GH05T-666

Poll The 'New 3DS' - Good or Bad? (55 votes)

Good - I want one! 56%
Bad - No, I wont be getting it. 20%
Confused 24%

This Poll is to find out the Good and the Bad of the New 3DS

Please leave you comments about what you think is Good or Bad and even what you would hope to see in the New 3DS?

• 
GH05T-666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 GH05T-666
Member since 2010 • 1067 Posts

This Poll is to find out the Good and the Bad of the New 3DS

Please leave you comments about what you think is Good or Bad and even what you would hope to see in the New 3DS?

Avatar image for ThatOneGamerGuy
ThatOneGamerGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2 ThatOneGamerGuy
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I havent got a new DS since back in 07 when I think the DS Lites came out, but I did mess around with my brother's friend Josh's 3DS he got for OOT3D. I've missed out on like 7 years of nintendo. Maybe if I ever get a job I might dish in the dough to get a new system eh?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Its great news. A great system will get support for another 3 or 4 years with this upgrade. Not only that they will add other things like full youtube functionality and the ability to transfer files and the like. The control system adopts the standard control scheme so the majority of the 'hardcore' games won't have to do weird things to be playable. Its everything you could want with a hardware revision.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Confused. Everything about it was awesome, until they announced an exclusive game.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

For the console itself, it don't see it as a bad thing. It's what the 3DS should of been from the start. I like it.

What get's me excited is, if games like Xenoblade can run on the console, I bet games like Mario Galaxy, Pokepark, 3D Zelda, Metroid Prime and other big 3D games could run on it as well. Those kind of games could not work on the old 3DS.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Confused..why? a half arse hardware upgrade? could have safe all this for their next handheld. :P

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

The remodel itself is a great business strategy and I shall be buying one immediately after it comes out. The name could have been better without confusing even more customers. The exclusive games thing needs to be properly explained by Nintendo, though.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It's cool but it also sucks that there are going to be exclusives to it. I can't really afford to drop another few hundred bucks on a new system, but a portable Xenoblade would be one of the best things to ever happen since sex.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Voted bad by accident. I like the idea. It's the 3ds with the integrated CPP I always expected. That I figured this was coming was the reason I never bought an XL.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#10 gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

I want one, but I certainly don't need one.

Maybe by the US release time, there will be some games to consider it for. I did get Metal Gear 3 ($15!?) and left it unopened for now...maybe the camera stick is what I was waiting for...

I think it will help prolong development for the handheld, it just seems completely out of the blue to hear about the news though.

Is it me, or was the DS smashing the scene with games by this time in its age? The 3DS doesn't exactly have a plethora of games...but it does have solid titles.

GH05T-666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GH05T-666

@trugs26: yeah, i though the same, its great until they say it will have an exclusive game.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

confused.

i dont know if this is supposed to be the 3DS 2 or not. If this is nintendos next gen handheld then its not a very enticing prospect in and of itself (though if it gets cracking exclusives then fair enough).

if its like the DSi then its not worth the upgrade imho. it wont get much in the way of exclusives.

if i knew for certain that this was the 3DS 2 then i would be more confident in its future games wise.

of course if you dont have a 3DS at all then it makes perfect sense to wait for this new version. it looks superior in pretty much every way compared to the current models (on the face of it having the microSD card slot under the battery cover is the only complaint i have). but as an upgrade its not enticing at the moment.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Bad. Kick in the nuts for those who just bough a 3DS and again it's horrible marketing. "New 3DS"? It's Wii U all over again...

GH05T-666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GH05T-666

@Sgt_Crow: yeah the name is stupid, I wish they would just make a new heldheld and call it a gameboy again, give it compatability with 3DS games and start making new games for it as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998864a726a0
deactivated-5998864a726a0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 deactivated-5998864a726a0
Member since 2014 • 105 Posts

I think that the console is good but i dont like that it have exclusives. The name is bad.

BravoOneActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 BravoOneActual
Member since 2010 • 799 Posts

Looks good to me. I'm interested.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Very good. I love all the upgrades, face plates, new buttons, etc. Don't get why people are so shocked, Nintendo has done this twice before.

I bet they even get MineCraft 3D now since it should be able to run it, more or less. At least the portable version.

On a side note, I'm willing to pay $169.99 for the New 3DS but I think it would be smart to charge $149.99/$179.99 for each model and dump the 2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL units currently on store shelves. Knowing Nintendo there is a real chance they leave 3-5 models at stores. This is the company that had the DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL and 3DS all out at once after all. Oh and please get a $19.99 Player's Choice line out!

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bonesawisready5

@GH05T-666: Lol, and alienate half their audience? The females? No, the Game Boy name is a dead, archaic brand name that Nintendo should only rely on should they be on their last breath. Its not a 21st Century name seeing as so many women play games on DS/3DS, mobile, etc. The market has changed, face it.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

It's bad. It just feels like you're getting screwed, if you already own a 3DS.

I'd be fine if it was just an integrated 2nd circle pad. I don't even mind the built-in NFC reader. But the extra shoulder buttons and CPU power now make me worry that there will be games I won't be able to play.

I'm in the Ambassador program, so Nintendo has already acknowledged screwing me. Now, they're doing it again. I won't buy another 3DS.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bonesawisready5

@Grieverr: Screwing you? DUDE THEY DO THIS EVERY GEN ALMOST! You should do research knowing that Nintendo did this with the GBC and DSi before buying a 3DS.

You'd do research to see how out-dated your phone purchase will be right? Why not apply that same standard to Nintendo who actually has been doing the upgraded new models thing since the mid-90s?

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

i think it will be good.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

@bonesawisready5 said:

@Grieverr: Screwing you? DUDE THEY DO THIS EVERY GEN ALMOST! You should do research knowing that Nintendo did this with the GBC and DSi before buying a 3DS.

You'd do research to see how out-dated your phone purchase will be right? Why not apply that same standard to Nintendo who actually has been doing the upgraded new models thing since the mid-90s?

I've been buying Nintendo systems since the NES. I'm well aware of their hardware practices. Obviously you expect the price will drop at some point, they'll have different colors/special editions, and hardware revisions.

And what research is there to do when buying a 3DS a few years ago? Either you buy one or you don't. It's not like there was another 3DS to compare it to.

This is especially bad, because as I stated, there's already a bad taste in people's mouths - so much so that Nintendo offered the ambassador program to everyone who overpaid for buying a 3DS at launch. And the timing is bad as people are already not buying the Wii U. Nintendo is adding further confusion to it's lineup. "Oh, you mean the Wii U is not just the gamepad?" "Wait, there's a 3DS and a NEW 3DS...and a 2DS?"

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

#@@# I like that Nintendo has added a second analog. A tiny analog nub is better than nothing. Plus extra shoulder buttons are welcome. Nintendo seems to have also made the CPU a little more powerful, and improved the 3D effect in this upcoming revision. Seems that Nintendo has done 4 Revisions in a very short time. The 3DS launched only in 2011, Then the 3DS XL, 2DS and now the new 3DS whatever Nintendo ends up naming it. 3DS SP? 3DS advance? Super 3DS?

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

I would love to know who comes up with these not so brilliant names in the house of Mario. Wii U, New 3DS.... Terrible and they keep making these mistakes. As many have suggested 3DSi or Super 3DS would have gotten the point across. Even 3DS version 2 would have been better.

New 3DS is a mixed message. Trying to be creative and fancy with your name serves no purpose if the first thing it does is confuse consumers. Nintendo needs to realize that not everyone is going to research their product on the internet. Their branding needs to be concise in the first 5 seconds of looking at the product. It needs to be accessible for consumers who literally still go to a retail store and figure out what they want to buy by looking at what is offered on the shelf space. As archaic and foolish as this is, Nintendo should understand a majority of consumers still buy their electronics like this. Part of the reason why Apple's branding, PR and marketing is so respectable and effective is attributed to how simple their message gets across.

I never buy anything without considerable research, but my mom still thinks just going to the "department" store like Best Buy and talking to the employees there for advice is a good idea. That is how she bought a terribly overpriced LED when there was a Sony 60 inch for 500 cheaper with better quality and better input lag! The employees at Best Buy in general are not informed on the products on the store shelf. They read off the bullet points that I can already see under the price tag. They push you to buy whatever is selling the slowest.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bonesawisready5

@Grieverr: Research should be done by all consumers before making large purchases. In 2001 Nintendo released the GBA, three years after releasing the GBC. The compelling need to upgrade a barely three year old system was felt by GBC owners everywhere. Then in 2004, Nintendo released the DS, only three years after the GBA (which had the GBA SP release in 2003). Nintendo would go onto to release the Micro in 2005 too.

1998: GBC 2001: GBA 2003: GBA SP 2004: DS 2006: DS Lite 2008/2009: DSi 2010: DSi XL 2011: 3DS 2012: 3DS XL 2013: 2DS 2014/15: New 3DS

So Nintendo releases a new model of their handheld every 1-2 years consistently and a very improved version that is practically a new game system entirely every 3-4 years.

This isn't news. Factor these things into your purchasing decisions. People do it for phones/computers/tablets, don't see why new handheld models are still so oddly received after Nintendo has been doing this for 16 years or so.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#26 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts

Looks good, but seeing that I have a white DS lite, & Black 3ds & a Silver 3ds XL I don't think I can allow my self another upgrade any time soon.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

I will pick one up

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

They took out the SD card and replaced it with a micro SD card. That is a bad idea... and no SDXC support. I would rather have the option for an adapter to a micro SD card.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Unless it gets more exclusives than Xenoblade I'm not really that interested. I've already played that on the Wii and this version looks inferior. Plus I have X on the horizon anyway for my Xeno fix. May just wait for the next handheld.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 trugs26

Brian Altano and Mitch Dyer (from IGN) went hands on with it at TGS:
http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/09/18/tgs-2014-i-cant-stop-touching-the-new-nintendo-3ds?watch

Their preview of it got me somewhat excited for the system. I've never bought a revision system before, but this is the first time I'm considering it.

fawfulmark2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fawfulmark2
Member since 2012 • 35 Posts

The New 3DS was inevitable, but marketed kinda badly. ity follows the same trend as the prior handheld era to a T(Game Boy=DS=3DS, GBMicro=DS Lite=2DS, Game Boy Color=DSi=3DS XL, Game Boy Advance=DSiXL=N3DS) but some were left with a sour taste thinking that they were essentially playing an incomplete prototype handheld while the real deal was hiding away, when it's not the case. Doesn't help that they also flat out gave up on 3D also(especially since Link Between Worlds was originally going to have puzzles that utilized the 3D effect).

clubhaxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 clubhaxor
Member since 2005 • 2482 Posts

I'm getting one for the SNES buttons. Looks boss. Only just got the gold Zelda 3DS last Xmas though..

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

I bought my New 3DS XL today. It'll be arriving in just under two months, when it launches here in Australia.

Basically, I bought a 3DS at launch, and I'm completely jealous of my gf's sister's 3DSXL - it's vastly superior to the standard 'brick' 3DS, and I really really want one.

I was planning to upgrade on one of those Smash Bros 3DSXL bundles...and then the New 3DS handheld was announced, so the choice seemed pretty clear to me.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bonesawisready5

I wish it was hitting the US this year. Darn Australians, you're lucky! I know its to clear US stock though. With AUS getting it in November, does that mean a Jan/Feb launch is more likely than March/April now? I hope so. I mean, at least for Europeans I'd think so.

Release in January/first week of Feb Nintendo! That way you can start the year off strong with solid hardware sales!

GH05T-666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GH05T-666

@Planeforger: Nice, I'm going to get the New 3DS this time. I had a 3DS XL and its great but I like the SNES style buttons and the changeable covers on the New 3DS. You cant change covers on the New 3DS XL and the buttons aren't colourful. For once Australia gets something first :D

GH05T-666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GH05T-666

Cant wait until Nov 21

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Pointless. I do not understand why they just didn't wait and put their effort into a new one. But, Nintendo.

And I swear to Christ, if a new Metroid is announced exclusive to this new 3DS, I will be livid. That will REALLY piss me off.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 trugs26

@MirkoS77 said:

And I swear to Christ, if a new Metroid is announced exclusive to this new 3DS, I will be livid. That will REALLY piss me off.

Yup I agree with this. Xenoblade I can live with because it's a remake, but if it's a brand new game from one of their flagship franchises, I'll be pretty annoyed if it were exclusive.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

I've been holding out on getting a 3DS for a while now, just don't have the time. But I do want to get this. But I'm super worried that they will launch a new new new 3DS 2 in a year or 2 lol

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#40 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

Confused if it will have exclusive titles. But, I like buying/hoarding/collecting Nintendo stuff, mainly for nostalgia. So I'll most likely get it and whatever new new design after this new 3ds.

seriously Nintendo? Who do you hire to come up with there ridiculous names? this one for sure takes the cake n runsss.