The greatest FPS series of all time needs to make a return

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Metroid Prime Logo

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2

Metroid Prime 3

This is a beautiful series, probably Nintendo's best series ever. I have always loved Metroid, but in the Prime format, the games are elevated to something else entirely; they come to define not only themselves and the style of gameplay that they represent, but also an entire genre: this is what FPSs should play like.

A fourth one, with all the power that the Wii U affords, will be beautiful, and a thing to behold. Metroid, specifically Metroid Prime, needs to make a return.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

*INBEFORENOTAFPS

i personally cannot wait to see the next Metroid game. Please not Other M though, it was frustrating. I prefer the Prime series for sense of exploration and its isolation.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I agree, it does need to make a return. The game was beautiful in 420p. I remember playing prime 1 (but particularly 2) on my gamecube so many years ago and being awed at how beautiful and graphicly amazing it was. I loved the multiplayer despite it being very limited. I can only begin to imagine how amazing Metroid prime would be with online multiplayer, maybe 6-12 people on a map at a time, and instead of everyone being samus, some can be federation troopers and others can be dark samus and whatnot.

Also, Charizard, if you have a Wii U (I havent been paying attention to System Wars recently), whats your Nintendo ID?

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

What's up?

I'm stuck in Metroid Prime 3 at the moment. But, I was really enjoying the game. I'll finish it eventually.

Would be keen to see a prime offering on Wii U.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Yes a Prime 4 would definitely be a day 1 buy for me. One of the few 1st person shooters that would really grab my attention. It's up there among my favourite game series of all time.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

As a "pure" FPS, the Prime series fall quite short in comparison to other FPS games imo.

I mean, having just one primary weapon and the "lock on" on enemies is quite poor for FPS standards.

However, as a exploration/platformer FPS, it's pretty neat and also quite unique as there are not many such games.

Personally, I rather have the side-scrolling Metroid games than the FPS ones.

But I wouldn't mind if they made a new Prime game (of course with nice graphics, bolded exploration and isolation feel, hard bosses and also a fun multi-player in the vein of MP Hunters).

Oh, and it should make good use of the gamepad too.

zyphyr2k12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zyphyr2k12
Member since 2012 • 277 Posts

Thought this was going to be a Timesplitters thread......... HEH

I'd love to see a new Prime, for sure. First one is one of my favorite games ever.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
Yes they need to bring the prime series back, I loved the exploration feel it had was truly one of a kind. Hell I still remember being like blown away when the first prime came out. They could make one so epic now.. get a good developer to handle it though
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I never thought the prime series was that great. I'd prefer something completely new, tbh--and that goes for the other great Nintendo series' as well.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#10 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
I don't think a Metroid Prime 4 is necessary, story wise. Both enemies Dark Samus and Metroid Prime, has been resolved. I'd be in favor of whole new Metroid "X" trilogy in the first person perspective adventure like the 3 Prime games on consoles, but just "Prime 4" sounds forced when one continues with where Dark Samus and Metroid Prime left off....destroyed.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Spoilers, maybe?

We still have that mysterious ship at the end of Prime 3, so there should be a Prime 4. Retro Studios said they were finished with the series, but then why would they leave such a cliffhanger?

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Spoilers, maybe?

We still have that mysterious ship at the end of Prime 3, so there should be a Prime 4. Retro Studios said they were finished with the series, but then why would they leave such a cliffhanger?

thetravman
It's been 5 years. Enough time has passed for the whole spoiler deal The ship at the end of Prime 3 is speculated to be Sylux's ship, from Prime Hunters on the DS. Nothing is really known about Sylux and there haven't been any ties with Sylux to Metroid Prime or Dark Samus or anything to do with the 3 console Prime games. Sylux (if it is Sylux's ship) can be a whole new adventure, a departure of the Prime series, heck it could be a whole new trilogy. I like how the developers set up a little white light that is that ship in the end for future Metroid titles while maintaining endless possibilities. I don't see a Prime 4 necessary just for Sylux to finally be revealed his involvement in anything of this after Dark Samus has been destroyed, and however else he ties into the Phazon or the Ing or the Luminoth or Dark Samus / Metroid Prime because there's nothing developed for Sylux really for background and ties to anything. I'll go on a limb and say Sylux just doesn't have a major, or any part of any of that, at least enough to warrant the continuation that is Metroid Prime 4. Just start a whole new adventure and game(s) for it, a whole new plot and set of missions separate. That's my opinion on it, story wise.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Not a FPS, but yes.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Personally, I'd like to see Retro Studios make a side scrolling Metroid that captures the essence of Super Metroid in the same way that DKCR did for DKC.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

they come to define not only themselves and the style of gameplay that they represent, but also an entire genre: this is what FPSs should play like.

charizard1605

While Metroid Prime could be placed into the FPS genre, I think it'd be naive to do so. It places more emphasis on exploration and puzzle than first person shooting. So I don't think a FPSshould play as such, as MP wasn't in the business of doing so. FPS was simply the medium to play an exploration/puzzle game.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Except Metroid Prime is boring, the series is better off as a 2D platformer or fixing Other M's formula, and it's not exactly an FPS anyway.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Yeah, Half-Life 3 is really overdue...

But yeah, we need a new Metroid Prime game too. I'd love to see what Retro can do with the power of the Wii U.

TyberZannxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TyberZannxxxx
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

No thanks.

I would much rather have Yager (who developed Spec Ops The Line) develop Metroid for the Wii U. The game can be a third-person shooter, since there has not yet been such a game in the franchise. The game should be powered by Unreal Engine 4 to show what the Wii U is really capable of.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Did you just call Metroid Prime an FPS? I would like to see another, but it would be disappointing if it didn't have IR aiming, as cool as scanning with the new gamepad would be. Also, I'd like to see Retro explore some new territory outside of an established Nintendo franchise, and I don't think I'd trust any other developer with a Prime game. Finally, I'd like to give the Other M style another shot, there's a lot of potential there, and it's been way too long since I've played a new Metroid sidescroller.