The Future of the DS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cramer8775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cramer8775
Member since 2006 • 77 Posts

1) They need to make larger cards (I'm pretty sure they can go up to 1gb)

2) Although I think the current games are (for the most part) great, they need to make more mature titiles (FPS?)

3) Upgradeable filmware, maybe at the Download stations that they seem to have everywhere...

4) Virtual consol with the filmware^

5) Please add your suggestions

lzorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 lzorro
Member since 2006 • 7395 Posts
#1 I wouldn't be surprised if the (current) DS went out with a 1gb game. #2 Ehh I don't really like FPSs but variety is good #3 That should be done through online #4 NES games through the Wii (like PS3 w/ PSP) #5 More use of the Microphone :P #6 Interchangeable cases (like faceplates)
apu0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 apu0404
Member since 2005 • 3682 Posts
1) few more fps, but i don't want it to turn into just a shooting game consle(like playstation,kinda) 2)Agreed with more use of mic 3)better online play(games online have a lobby where u can type and chat through mic. and pick oppents,ect.) 4)Built in MP3/movie player 5) IDK possible a camra?!?!?! just throwin it out there
Avatar image for psychojakrabbit
psychojakrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 psychojakrabbit
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts
1. More use of the touch screen and mic. 2. Larger cards would be good. 3. More original games and longer ones too. 4. Virtual Console idea (me like). 5. Keep it a non multi-media gaming system.
roan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 roan23
Member since 2005 • 1190 Posts
i would love to make DS to let us download free NES games at the station, and can keep it at the DS. also upgrade the firmware, it's getting old, and if a new features in the screen would be nice.
Drewman419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Drewman419
Member since 2006 • 335 Posts

They need to release more mature for surely!  But i dont mind the games that are out right now.  It would be awesome if they released a Super Smash Bros for the DS our even better a copy of Golden Eye.  I also dont mind if they released more Resident Evil games for the DS.  The game i am looking forward to the most for the DS is probably DS Air which looks like a fun dog fighting game.

The DS has a great future but they  Should make it even greater by adding these games. 

Super Smash Bros for the DS or a Golden Eye for the DS=$$$$$$$$ Making for Nintendo.

sergioalb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 sergioalb64
Member since 2005 • 2697 Posts
1-Better online games, with more features.
2-More new IPs.
3-Downloadable content (old games, demos, trailers, etc)
4-That rumored tilt sensor that was supposed to come out, like the one for WarioWare Twised; it could be used well on the DS.
RpGamerzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 RpGamerzzz
Member since 2006 • 873 Posts
What everyone said above, especially with better online features. I had to buy the Nintendo WiFi USB thing just because my parents wouldn't allow me to put WEP key instead of WPA.
Platyphyllum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 Platyphyllum
Member since 2005 • 8105 Posts
You guys sure are able to come up with some great ideas!
thriftymutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 thriftymutt
Member since 2006 • 315 Posts
I wish to see a mario party ds
9_volt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 9_volt
Member since 2006 • 75 Posts
I just want voice acting on all DS games! And a little more Act-Image vids would be great.
uliboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 uliboy
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts
the ds should have a little person like the wii when you turn it on it should be there and be wireless all the time so you can chat with other little people.With the mic.
wanderingblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 wanderingblade
Member since 2005 • 353 Posts

I like everyone's ideas!

DarkMagik9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DarkMagik9
Member since 2004 • 1709 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind that I think Nintendo needs to really address is the storage capacity of the DS carts.  128 mbs isn't cutting it anymore considering more and more games are using the entire cart. ie EBA/FF3

A bigger cart size of at least double the size would really help developers since with more space, they won't need to downsample music and just as importantly, hold more game content. 
DarkMagik9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkMagik9
Member since 2004 • 1709 Posts
I just want voice acting on all DS games! And a little more Act-Image vids would be great.
9_volt

The lack of cart space prevents that.  The intro video of Metroid Prime Hunters, iirc, took up almost 50 mbs.  That's almost 40% of the cart.
Roxas-Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Roxas-Master
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts
If they made the game cards bigger, would they have to make them longer and wider?
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
If they made the game cards bigger, would they have to make them longer and wider?Roxas-Master
No.
[QUOTE="9_volt"]I just want voice acting on all DS games! And a little more Act-Image vids would be great.
DarkMagik9

The lack of cart space prevents that. The intro video of Metroid Prime Hunters, iirc, took up almost 50 mbs. That's almost 40% of the cart.

And it's playback was trash to boot. They need a total revamp of the online structure so that developers have a standard to aspire to.
apu0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 apu0404
I wish to see a mario party ds thriftymutt
ME TOO!!! THAT WOULD BE SOOOOO KOOL!!!! playing online and all!!! Wow! I just hope that they make one...... I would deffinetly buy it. IDK why they haven't made one yet? it seems like it would be a big selller
frooshontay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 frooshontay
Member since 2004 • 277 Posts

1) few more fps, but i don't want it to turn into just a shooting game consle(like playstation,kinda) 2)Agreed with more use of mic 3)better online play(games online have a lobby where u can type and chat through mic. and pick oppents,ect.) 4)Built in MP3/movie player 5) IDK possible a camra?!?!?! just throwin it out thereapu0404

You are describing a PSP there.

I`d like some more Castlevanias coming Out, i played DOS and POR, and i want MORE MORE MORE Castlevania, one is coming for the PSP ( 3 Castlevanias in One), but i don`t mind more Castlevanias lol

And Virtual console would be sweet, my friend has a Wii, i could donload stuff from there:P

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

remember the gameboy camera? they should make a new ds camera thing where you have the little view plugged into the gba cartridge

and then the ds card they give you can be used to store pictures that be cool. An then they could give you a usb device to hook the card up to the computer. =) that would be awsome 

frooshontay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 frooshontay
Member since 2004 • 277 Posts

remember the gameboy camera? they should make a new ds camera thing where you have the little view plugged into the gba cartridge

and then the ds card they give you can be used to store pictures that be cool. An then they could give you a usb device to hook the card up to the computer. =) that would be awsome 

Minishdriveby

Phones already do that, and without much hassle or add-ons, but hey, would be funny to edit goofy pictures with the touchscreen.

AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AlexandriaZ
Member since 2002 • 25107 Posts

2) Although I think the current games are (for the most part) great, they need to make more mature titiles (FPS?)

3) Upgradeable filmware, maybe at the Download stations that they seem to have everywhere...

Cramer8775

Okay, what is there to say.....

1. The largest cartridge size is 128 Megabytes, anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. There are rumors from IGN that state that Nintendo is CONSIDERING using 256 and 512 Megabyte cartridges, but it will require some Development Kit upgrades because they DK's only write up to 128 Megs.

2. Mature games will not likely happen because the token "Mature" games which is Resident Evil sold like crap and the sales of games to a younger market shows that there the money could be made for games under the M rating.

3. Upgradable firmware, not going to happen. The DS Firmware can't be updated. You want proof, just look at the piracy on the DS that uses a GBA exploit. It could all be stopped in 10 seconds if they updated firmware.

4. Virtual Console, good luck with that seeing as the DS has 4 MEGABYTES of main RAM which means that anything above NES can't be added.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Articuno76
[QUOTE="Cramer8775"]

2) Although I think the current games are (for the most part) great, they need to make more mature titiles (FPS?)

AlexandriaZ

Okay, what is there to say.....

1. The largest cartridge size is 128 Megabytes, anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. There are rumors from IGN that state that Nintendo is CONSIDERING using 256 and 512 Megabyte cartridges, but it will require some Development Kit upgrades because they DK's only write up to 128 Megs.

1gb = 128MB last time I checked.
AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AlexandriaZ
Member since 2002 • 25107 Posts
1gb = 128MB last time I checked.Articuno76

The post is retroactive because it is meant to argue with this post and the suceeding ones that state said misinformation.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Articuno76
[QUOTE="Articuno76"]1gb = 128MB last time I checked.AlexandriaZ

The post is retroactive because it is meant to argue with this post and the suceeding ones that state said misinformation.

Oh yeah, sure :roll:

I'll be nice and let you get away with this one. :)

But one day I'll catch you with your pants down, just you wait! *shakes fist*

edit: If you want to argue an aside it would help for claritys sake if you made those points ouside of the list, though at this point I've become accustomed to you selectively ignoring me, so I won't expect anything (*cries to self*).

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
internal memory - 2 GB or more
    with this there should be a NES/SNES emulator
    And of course space to your own NES/SNES games
Better graphics

merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#27 merch
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts

Cramer8775
they can go to 2gb nintendo stated this in a interview yay back when
Cutekitten6_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cutekitten6_18
Member since 2005 • 22640 Posts
Larger cards!  More content! :D   Also maybe make use of the Microphone more.  I would aslo love to be able to talk to be IN game online.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

frooshontay

Phones already do that, and without much hassle or add-ons, but hey, would be funny to edit goofy pictures with the touchscreen.

oh yeah i forgot about that lol i dnt have a camera phone though so it would be kinda cool and if you make the pictures funny with the ds it would be cool too lol

apu0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 apu0404
[QUOTE="thriftymutt"]I wish to see a mario party ds apu0404
ME TOO!!! THAT WOULD BE SOOOOO KOOL!!!! playing online and all!!! Wow! I just hope that they make one...... I would deffinetly buy it. IDK why they haven't made one yet? it seems like it would be a big selller

no WAY!!! I WANTED A MARIO PARTY TOO! WoW, thats so kool we all want one!! now why dont they make ONE!
fore_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fore_runner
Member since 2004 • 8704 Posts
[QUOTE="Articuno76"] 1gb = 128MB last time I checked.

Am I missing something?
Cramer8775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cramer8775
Member since 2006 • 77 Posts

1gb = 1024mb. Maybe they could store the virtual consol games on a card in the GBA slot? And by mature I didn't mean M rated, just a little grown  up, like FPS and other shooters. I agree that Nintendo won't release M rated games.

NotEvenClose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NotEvenClose
Member since 2006 • 793 Posts

Cramer8775

1.  May not be practical with the $30 - $40 price point. 
2. FPS just won't work well on the DS.  Graphics not good enough and controls not built for shooters.
3. Why?
4. It would need external storage for that.  Not currently supported by Nintendo.

I think the DS could really use external storage through the GBA cartridge slot.  This would make some of what you are suggesting practical.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Articuno76
[QUOTE="fore_runner"][QUOTE="Articuno76"] 1gb = 128MB last time I checked.

Am I missing something?

There is often some confusion of megabits and gigabits (mb, gb) and megabytes and gigabytes (MB and GB). It's 8 bits to a byte, 128mb = 1Gb, or an eighth of a 1GB. For AlexandriaZ to say 128MB is the biggest doesn't actually contradict what Crammer8775 said because these are indeed one and the same. There's another debate in there of what is genuinely a GB, which in truth is 1024MB but most manufactures quick label 1000MB.

Pray when the next handheld comes out that Nintendo has enough forsight to include some flash and support a popular media format like SD.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#35 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I say that more of the DS games should really learn how to ind a good use for the dottom screen. Notice that pretty much all the "good" DS games Really aren't inovative at all. Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario Kart DS, the two Castlevania games, Mario 64 DS. I can go on. They all are games that could have been better done on other consoles. Lets see somthing that can only be done on the DS for once. And Please give us some games that last more than fifteen hours.