the DSi plays MP3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by manueru (116 posts) -
i have read the Nintendo Conference, and they never said the DSi plays Mp3 sound format, just said AAC format. so the DSi couldn't play my Mp3 songs?
#2 Posted by Ishboy12 (183 posts) -
The DSi won't be able to play Mp3 music files off of your SD card that is correct.
#3 Posted by Shinobisoma (936 posts) -
aww... I just heard about this now.
#4 Posted by manueru (116 posts) -

damn, i just hope Nintendo release a software to convert MP3 to AAC

#6 Posted by fail_baby (898 posts) -

Releasing conversion software is only necessary for proprietary formats.

#7 Posted by Mr_Nordquist (1777 posts) -

Itunes can convert all your music to AAC if you were wondering.

#8 Posted by floppydiscs (204 posts) -

Mr_Nordquist

Yup.

1. Open iTunes
  2. Right click on the song you want
  3. Click "Convert to AAC"
  4. Search the song title in your library
  5. Find the one being downloaded
  6. Click and drag onto your SD card

There are also multiple videos on youtube of how to do this :)

#9 Posted by The_Albraskan (37 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mr_Nordquist"]

floppydiscs

Yup.

Open iTunesRight click on the song you wantClick "Convert to AAC"Search the song title in your libraryFind the one being downloadedClick and drag onto your SD card

But that only works on ones you've burned from CD's right? Because I couldn't convert the ones I bought from iTunes. :(
#11 Posted by The_Albraskan (37 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Albraskan"][QUOTE="floppydiscs"]

Yup.

Open iTunesRight click on the song you wantClick "Convert to AAC"Search the song title in your libraryFind the one being downloadedClick and drag onto your SD card

fail_baby

But that only works on ones you've burned from CD's right? Because I couldn't convert the ones I bought from iTunes. :(

You have to pay 30cper songto convert DRM protectediTunes tracks to DRM free iTunes Plus tracks.

Oh, so it is possible! I see. Thank you. :)
#13 Posted by garathe_den (1427 posts) -

Lol that's lame, it only plays it's "own speshul format", glad I don't want one

#15 Posted by meiaman (3300 posts) -

garathe_den
Well, its not that really bad. AAC has more quality than mp3, sides finding a converter if you use a tool called "google" is not hard at all.
#16 Posted by FallofAthens (2026 posts) -

For those that don't have Itunes, you could try using a program called Super C. Use it all the time when converting videos to my PSP, i noticed it has a option to change audio formats into AAC files. That might work.

#17 Posted by FILIPINOMAZTER (1627 posts) -

For those that don't have Itunes, you could try using a program called Super C. Use it all the time when converting videos to my PSP, i noticed it has a option to change audio formats into AAC files. That might work.

FallofAthens
yes superC works pretty well
#18 Posted by herbasher (91 posts) -
Sort of a let down that the DSI only plays AAC files.
#19 Posted by Yoweeh (3025 posts) -
Sort of a let down that the DSI only plays AAC files. herbasher
It's a good thing. AAC has better quality so by limiting it to AAC only Nintendo won't have to heard about people whining that the DSi's sound is bad. :/
#20 Posted by intro94 (2623 posts) -
at worse is a tiny letdown.is not hard to convert your music.Unless you dont care about the music, just the format it is on..in which case..well rant on.
#21 Posted by Velocitas8 (10748 posts) -

Lol that's lame, it only plays it's "own speshul format", glad I don't want onegarathe_den

:roll:

It's not its "own special format" ..AAC is used by a huge range of devices, and is widely known as a far superior lossy format to MP3.

The MP3 format is dated and should've died out a long time ago. Time to move on.

#22 Posted by Mr_Nordquist (1777 posts) -

garathe_den

It's own special format that's used on CD's, AND is the Itunes standard. Totally it's own standard format, and not used by millions.

#25 Posted by hyperkass (938 posts) -

its quite easy using itunes, seriously really easy. so it aint no hassle for me :)

#26 Posted by George_M (212 posts) -

It's a good thing. AAC has better quality so by limiting it to AAC only Nintendo won't have to heard about people whining that the DSi's sound is bad. :/Yoweeh

Except that most people are going to end up transcoding their MP3's to AAC. Going from one lossy format to another is not going to make them sound better.

#27 Posted by awssk8er716 (8485 posts) -

I thought this was bad at first, however this is a great thing.

Smaller file size, better quality. I've actually been considering to convert my entire music library to AAC, anyway it would take hours...

#28 Posted by N0han (982 posts) -

Smaller file size, better quality. I've actually been considering to convert my entire music library to AAC, anyway it would take hours...

awssk8er716

leaving your pc on one night should do the job;)

#29 Posted by Velocitas8 (10748 posts) -

Except that most people are going to end up transcoding their MP3's to AAC. Going from one lossy format to another is not going to make them sound better.George_M

Which is why it should've died out long ago. FLAC, ALAC, or some other convenient lossless format needs to be the digital standard (for all online music sales) so that consumers don't have to worry about quality loss going from lossy-->lossy when transcoding your music for other devices. Furthermore, if they want to offer lossy encodes as well, they should encode to something like AAC, not MP3.

Not really a problem for me, but I know that it is for most. My entire library is ripped to TAK (lossless), so there's no issue transcoding to AAC for playback on my DSi..

awssk8er716

Get a friend with a fast Quad Core to do it for you :P

I can convert 100 entire albums to AAC in something like 20-25 minuites (using Nero AAC's default encoding settings under foobar2000 running on a Core i7 920@3.4GHz.) Average convert time per album is ~15 seconds.

But if you're talking about converting to AAC from MP3..just..don't. Lossy-->Lossy transcoding is a bad idea.

#30 Posted by postmanmanman (276 posts) -

Am I the only one who cares that this thread was ressurected by 7 months? AHHH ZOMBIE THREAD.

On topic: I really like AAC. It's not hard to convert mp3s to AAC, and the quality is really good, too.

#31 Posted by Luminouslight (6397 posts) -
transcoding generally degrades the quality though. I would keep the music in its default format. However finding AAC's is a good idea.
#32 Posted by garathe_den (1427 posts) -

[QUOTE="garathe_den"]Lol that's lame, it only plays it's "own speshul format", glad I don't want oneVelocitas8

:roll:

It's not its "own special format" ..AAC is used by a huge range of devices, and is widely known as a far superior lossy format to MP3.

The MP3 format is dated and should've died out a long time ago. Time to move on.

Haha no kidding, but it should be able to play more than one format instead of forcing people to convert all the time.

And there's nothing wrong with mp3s, unless you have a hearing problem

#33 Posted by dano532 (39 posts) -
This seems like a good place to ask this question. Im trying to figure out what it is Im doing wrong. I know the files have to be AAC for the DSi to recognize it. I convert them over to AAC transfer them to my SD card then when I try to listen to them it tells me there are no AAC files on the SD card. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?
#34 Posted by smurf_killer (827 posts) -

FallofAthens

or download itunes, its free

go P2P

#35 Posted by Velocitas8 (10748 posts) -

This seems like a good place to ask this question. Im trying to figure out what it is Im doing wrong. I know the files have to be AAC for the DSi to recognize it. I convert them over to AAC transfer them to my SD card then when I try to listen to them it tells me there are no AAC files on the SD card. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?dano532

The DSi can probably only read certain filetype extensions and recognize certain containers.

Are your music tracks going into the MP4 container? The file name should look something like:

Glassjaw - Ape Dos Mil.mp4

Edit: Just looked it up. The DSi can read ".mp4", ".m4a" and ".3gp." Encoding with foobar2000+NeroAAC, it defaults to MP4, so that's what I use.

***Just to clarify: THE ".AAC" EXTENSION CAN NOT BE READ BY THE DSi!***

#36 Posted by dano532 (39 posts) -
I tried itunes and my DSi still couldn't play the files. Im going to try out the foobar one, hopefully it works.
#37 Posted by ZumaJones07 (16458 posts) -
Old topic bump FTW My question to Nintendo is why not let the DS play both? or all formats? Everyone would be happy. :roll: It's not like the DS CAN'T play mp3's. It can play them, but Nintendo does not want it to.
#38 Posted by SSBFan12 (11981 posts) -

Yeah it does but you are going to need your SD card to play the music.

#39 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -

damn, i just hope Nintendo release a software to convert MP3 to AAC

manueru
iTunes converts your songs to AAC format. Just right click it and click "Create AAC Copy". If you don't want to right click each individual song, go to "edit" at the top of the iTunes window and click "Select All".
#40 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -
Old topic bump FTW My question to Nintendo is why not let the DS play both? or all formats? Everyone would be happy. :roll: It's not like the DS CAN'T play mp3's. It can play them, but Nintendo does not want it to.ZumaJones07
MP3 format can't be broken down and edited like AAC format. That means you would have to throw out all those extra features.
#41 Posted by devrell (25 posts) -
well dat sucks cus most of the music is in mp3 and its a waste of time to go convert it to aac.. think bout it all dat music u have in mp3 glad i dont have one psp playing both so i have nothing to wrry bout sry for the dis lovers lol...
Avatar image for QWERTYCommander
#42 Posted by QWERTYCommander (1643 posts) -

You can convert MP3 files to AAC here.

#43 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
double revival? what's with the vampire threads that keep dying and coming back? O_o
Avatar image for QWERTYCommander
#44 Posted by QWERTYCommander (1643 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]double revival? what's with the vampire threads that keep dying and coming back? O_o

Well, I solved the problem.
#45 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
[QUOTE="QWERTYCommander"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]double revival? what's with the vampire threads that keep dying and coming back? O_o

Well, I solved the problem.

won't prevent it from re-reviving it unless we stick a huge wooden stake on it's OP.