The DSi battery life is too short

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chubah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Chubah
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

After playing for 3-4 hours it's dead already and I need to waste 3 hours charging it, I understand that by using the lower brightness it might provide an extra 2-3 hours, but I don't like playing in such a low brightness, it hurts my eyes and I can barely see what's going on.

I am very dissapointed by the battery life, since I travel a lot I don't have the time to charge it twice everyday. What a let down, I should have picked the DS lite instead.

danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

After playing for 3-4 hours it's dead already and I need to waste 3 hours charging it, I understand that by using the lower brightness it might provide an extra 2-3 hours, but I don't like playing in such a low brightness, it hurts my eyes and I can barely see what's going on.

I am very dissapointed by the battery life, since I travel a lot I don't have the time to charge it twice everyday. What a let down, I should have picked the DS lite instead.

Chubah

Yep.

Shadow-Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Shadow-Koopa
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts

Yours only lasted 3-4 hours? O.O Mine lasts about 10 hours easily. Try using a lower brightness level? Or turn off the wireless when your not using it? Just a few suggestions, otherwise you might just have a faulty battery, because it only lasts that long on the higest brightness setting which burns your eyes :\ :P

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

That sounds like a problem with the battery. Wasn't the DSi reported to have like 10 hours of battery life?

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Turn down the brightness. That was the first thing I did when I got it. I keep it on 1 or 2. It lasts 13-16 hours on Level 2, and like 16-19 on Level 1.

Edit: Keeping Wireless off saves a tiny bit of battery, because when it's on, it uses power to keep the yellow light on. Other than that, it doesn't use power.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Highest brightness = DS Lite has twice the battery life of DSi Lowest brightness = 50% more life per full charge I still can't understand why Nintendo felt it necessary to bring out the DSi or why anyone would choose it over Lite
flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts
That's one of the reasons why I got a DS Lite because of battery life.
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 MorbidToaster
Member since 2008 • 1434 Posts
[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]Highest brightness = DS Lite has twice the battery life of DSi Lowest brightness = 50% more life per full charge I still can't understand why Nintendo felt it necessary to bring out the DSi or why anyone would choose it over Lite

Downloadable store, promise of exclusive games because of the improved hardware (not just the camera), larger screens, thinner design, better audio quality, music support (not a big one, but still nice every now and then), etc. I mean, I have about 20 DS games, but I play KORG the most (game?), so I really got into it for the bigger screens, and improved sound. The DSi is the best choice for anyone that doesn't have an extensive GBA library that they play regularly. Just turn down your Brightness, and Wi-fi. If that doesn't work, faulty battery.
harryone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 harryone1
Member since 2008 • 224 Posts

mine lasts for 12

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

I have mine on level 3 brightness and it lasts 8 hours and only charges for 1 and a half to get a full charge. =/

You just sound like someone who really never used one, and just wants to bash it. OR you got a faulty battery, which I doubt.

freakbabyblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 freakbabyblues
Member since 2009 • 693 Posts

DUDE!!! Turn the brightness down!!! The fifth setting is just a flashlight feature(or to eliminate glare). It's not meant to be used as the primary setting. Set it to 2 or 3. It's just as bright as the DS Lite and lasts about as long.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
the level 1 brightness is the same from the DS phat, which was better than the one in the GBA SP, which you didnt use to complain until you damaged your eyeballs by playing on maximum brightness. its as short as the PSP battery, and the PSP doesnt have ultra-blinding brightness.
drakotogekiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 drakotogekiss
Member since 2009 • 39 Posts
The dsi has a short battery life, but the ds lite has a long battery life.Thats why i got the ds lite!
in2DarKneSs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 in2DarKneSs
Member since 2006 • 233 Posts

On mine I found that if you turn off your Wifi, and lower the brightness you will get like 10-11 hours. The Wifi on those stay on all the time if you leave them going, unlike the DSlite.

freakbabyblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 freakbabyblues
Member since 2009 • 693 Posts

The dsi has a short battery life, but the ds lite has a long battery life.Thats why i got the ds lite!drakotogekiss
It doesn't have a short battery life... It's only short if you set it to the blinding 5th setting. The DSi goes for 15hrs as opposed to the Lite's 19 on the minimum brightness. The DSi's 3rd setting being about as bright as the Lite's 3rd~4th setting, they kinda balance out.

P.S. And when you consider why it's a little shorter, you kinda don't care anymore.

FireBombz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FireBombz
Member since 2007 • 681 Posts

How is the Dsi battery short? 12 hours is short? It is really hard to play that much a day

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

[QUOTE="drakotogekiss"]The dsi has a short battery life, but the ds lite has a long battery life.Thats why i got the ds lite!freakbabyblues

It doesn't have a short battery life... It's only short if you set it to the blinding 5th setting. The DSi goes for 15hrs as opposed to the Lite's 19 on the minimum brightness. The DSi's 3rd setting being about as bright as the Lite's 3rd~4th setting, they kinda balance out.

P.S. And when you consider why it's a little shorter, you kinda don't care anymore.

Exactly.

After having it for a few days and playing with all of the features a lot I really didn't care. Not that there's much to care about, since there's only a few hours difference. Why do you need to play a game for that long anyway?

Not to mention, you can still play while it's charging if you do.

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#18 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

How is the Dsi battery short? 12 hours is short? It is really hard to play that much a day

FireBombz
Haha, seriously!
amygamie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 amygamie
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts

Maybe try keeping most of your picutres you take on there with an sd card, I save most of mine on the sd card. I never have a problem with my dsi dying, I use it all the time on the brightess settings and I use head phones. I don't know if it makes a big difference in the battery life or not though.

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

I smell a troll :o

My DSi lasts me around 8 hours on the 4th brightness level, and 10-11 on 3. Turn off your Wifi if you're not using it. And if anything, level 5 should hurt your eyes, not the lower ones...

Oh and takes like 1.5 hours to charge :|.

jehovah751

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jehovah751
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I don't really play THAT much. ( Busy with other stuffs) So it lasts me to 2-3 days with a few hours usage on 2-3 brightness. Talking about the battery, i was wondering how the other batteries sold ( With higher MAH ) fare against original Nintedo batteries? Are they as effective? Better? Or lousier despite having more ( MAH ).