The DS needs more platformers.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

The DS is seriously lacking in the platformer genre compared to the GBA and it needs a lot more of them.

New Super Mario Bros
Super Mario 64 DS
Yoshi Island DS
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventures
Super Princess Peach

That's it.

Contra, Metal slug, Castlevania and Mega man is action games not platformers.

Josh_3691

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Josh_3691
Member since 2008 • 46 Posts
What about all of the Kirby games they're Platformers. There is Crash of the Titans that's anonther. Plus Megman and Castlevania are action-platformers in my opinion. See there is loads!
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JLF1
What about all of the Kirby games they're Platformers. There is Crash of the Titans that's anonther. Plus Megman and Castlevania are action-platformers in my opinion. See there is loads!Josh_3691

There is not loads of platformers on the DS. If you compare it to the GBA it's really lacking.
To call Castlevania a platformer would be like calling Metriod, Zelda or Starfox platformers. They have platformer elements in them but they are in no way platformers.

halfbreed11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 halfbreed11111
Member since 2007 • 578 Posts
mega is a platformer and its the gba cant do 3d so platformer is the only option on it
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JLF1
mega is a platformer and its the gba cant do 3d so platformer is the only optionhalfbreed11111

Mega Man games aren't platformers because they are in 2D, otherwise all games in the 8-bit and 16-bit era would be platformers.

EDIT: Mega man is a tough call though. That is also only 2 more games on the DS.
Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts
sad to say that Platform games are a dying breed, to tell you the truth the DS is loaded with platform games compared to the others
Archale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Archale
Member since 2006 • 2129 Posts

[QUOTE="halfbreed11111"]mega is a platformer and its the gba cant do 3d so platformer is the only optionJLF1

Mega Man games aren't platformers because they are in 2D, otherwise all games in the 8-bit and 16-bit era would be platformers.

EDIT: Mega man is a tough call though. That is also only 2 more games on the DS.

So you are saying the older Mario games arent platformers for being 2D? Good going there....

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JLF1

[QUOTE="JLF1"][QUOTE="halfbreed11111"]mega is a platformer and its the gba cant do 3d so platformer is the only optionArchale

So you are saying the older Mario games arent platformers for being 2D? Good going there....

No Mario games are platformers. That the games are 2D or 3D has NOTHING to do which genre the are in.

Mario is platformer games. Mega man, Casltevania, Metroid, contra is not.

A 2D game where you control a character is not necessary a platformer. If that was the case then almost all games in the 8-bit or 16-bit era was platformers which is not the case.

xlil-starx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 xlil-starx
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts
i loved NSMBs..Super Princess Peach is ok too but i didnt like the other platformers like sonic etc..i hope they bring a new 2D mario platformer out soon
Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
The DS needs a good kirby game
deadlycolour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deadlycolour
Member since 2008 • 100 Posts
A platformer is a game where you run and jump through the level, there can be 2D and 3D platformers. For the DS Yoshi's Island is a 2D platformer and a 3D platformer is Super Mario 64 DS. Yes we could use a few new platformers, 2D and 3D.
Josh_3691

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Josh_3691

[QUOTE="Josh_3691"]What about all of the Kirby games they're Platformers. There is Crash of the Titans that's anonther. Plus Megman and Castlevania are action-platformers in my opinion. See there is loads!JLF1

There is not loads of platformers on the DS. If you compare it to the GBA it's really lacking.
To call Castlevania a platformer would be like calling Metriod, Zelda or Starfox platformers. They have platformer elements in them but they are in no way platformers.

[/QUOTE

New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64 DS, The Simpsons Game, Sonic Rush, Yoshi's Island DS, Kung Fu Panda, Sonic Rush Adventure, Spyro: Eternal Night, Crash of the Titans, Super Princess Peach, Kirby Squeak Squad, Kirby superstar Ultra, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Wall-E, New Zealand Story, Sypro: New Beginning, Megaman ZX, and loads more if you check IGN.

So there is plenty of platformers on the DS and considering it is a dying breeed the amount is very impressive. Not all the games on that list are good but they are platformers. BTW Castlevania is the very definition of the Action-Platfromer most gamers would agree.

LadyShanoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LadyShanoa
Member since 2008 • 678 Posts

Topic: "The DS needs more platformers."

My Reply:

Ok. I'll let Nintendo know.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JLF1

New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64 DS, The Simpsons Game, Sonic Rush, Yoshi's Island DS, Kung Fu Panda, Sonic RushAdventure, Spyro: Eternal Night, Crash of the Titans, Super Princess Peach, Kirby Squeak Squad, Kirby superstar Ultra,Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Wall-E, New Zealand Story, Sypro: New Beginning, Megaman ZX, and loads more if you check IGN.

So there is plenty of platformers on the DS and considering it is a dying breeed the amount is very impressive. Not all the games on that list are good but they are platformers. BTW Castlevania is the very definition of the Action-Platfromer most gamers would agree.

Josh_3691

These are the ones that are actually good. I Should perhaps have said that I want quality platformers and not some random game. It might be a dieing genre but a gamer should never settle for lower quality ever. Always demand quality.

If Castlevania is a platformer then so is Zelda and Metroid.

darkbuster_exe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darkbuster_exe
Member since 2004 • 3891 Posts
I really can't take someone who would question the series that perfected the "vanishing blocks over a pit" mechanic & stretched wall kicking physics to the logical extreme, of being a platformer, seriously. Either way, I've been saying it for the longest, & it was even mentioned previously: platformers are a dying breed. The controls & perspective of 3D games really don't work well, with the more traditional platforming gameplay. Modern games such as Ratchet, Jak, & even the Mario RPGs just tend to use platforming as a sub genre. Possibly the only reason the platformer genre has managed this long, is due to the GBA mostly being a portable SNES.
inzaneetie013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 inzaneetie013
Member since 2007 • 1385 Posts

My Reply:

LadyShanoa

uhmm...about that reply...sarcasm or something?

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JLF1
I really can't take someone who would question the series that perfected the "vanishing blocks over a pit" mechanic & stretched wall kicking physics to the logical extreme, of being a platformer, seriously. Either way, I've been saying it for the longest, & it was even mentioned previously: platformers are a dying breed. The controls & perspective of 3D games really don't work well, with the more traditional platforming gameplay. Modern games such as Ratchet, Jak, & even the Mario RPGs just tend to use platforming as a sub genre. Possibly the only reason the platformer genre has managed this long, is due to the GBA mostly being a portable SNES.darkbuster_exe

As I have said before Mega Man is tough choice. It can be considered platformer or an action game.

IMO Ratchet and Clank isn't really a platformer. When your shooting skills is more important than your jumping skill it's a shooter.
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

[QUOTE="darkbuster_exe"]I really can't take someone who would question the series that perfected the "vanishing blocks over a pit" mechanic & stretched wall kicking physics to the logical extreme, of being a platformer, seriously. Either way, I've been saying it for the longest, & it was even mentioned previously: platformers are a dying breed. The controls & perspective of 3D games really don't work well, with the more traditional platforming gameplay. Modern games such as Ratchet, Jak, & even the Mario RPGs just tend to use platforming as a sub genre. Possibly the only reason the platformer genre has managed this long, is due to the GBA mostly being a portable SNES.JLF1

As I have said before Mega Man is tough choice. It can be considered platformer or an action game.

IMO Ratchet and Clank isn't really a platformer. When your shooting skills is more important than your jumping skill it's a shooter.

Don't start confusing that. I still can't decide what the difference between action-adventure games and 3d platformers are.

But I'd prefer more point and click adventure games. I'd die to see Monkey Island games on the DS.

WiiLover243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WiiLover243
Member since 2008 • 234 Posts
im gunna get N+
Josh_3691

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Josh_3691
[QUOTE="Josh_3691"]

New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64 DS, The Simpsons Game, Sonic Rush, Yoshi's Island DS, Kung Fu Panda, Sonic RushAdventure, Spyro: Eternal Night, Crash of the Titans, Super Princess Peach, Kirby Squeak Squad, Kirby superstar Ultra,Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Wall-E, New Zealand Story, Sypro: New Beginning, Megaman ZX, and loads more if you check IGN.

JLF1

These are the ones that are actually good. I Should perhaps have said that I want quality platformers and not some random game. It might be a dieing genre but a gamer should never settle for lower quality ever. Always demand quality.

I agree with you that we should never accept bad games, after all the Platform genre is my favourite genre of all time. I maintain though that Crash Bandicoot and Spyro are quite good games, not brilliant but alright.

Would you agree though that Castlevania is 50% action and 50% platformer, as the game has a huge platform elements to it with you jumping around Dracula's castle most of the time. Also there is no way Zelda could be called even a 50% platform game and while Metroid is more platformy it still is a action game

pastgamesrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 pastgamesrule
Member since 2005 • 311 Posts

The DS is capable of offering more variety than the GBA, though. I'd say about 65-70% of the GBA games were platformers. I enjoy the DS because there's a wider genre of games (and it has not been out longer than the GBA either). Ironically though, I've been posting DS ideas on my blog and all of them are platformers (i guess they appeal to me the most). I would hardly consider it a dying category of gaming.

_=pastgamesrules=_

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JLF1

I agree with you that we should never accept bad games, after all the Platform genre is my favourite genre of all time. I maintain though that Crash Bandicoot and Spyro are quite good games, not brilliant but alright.

Would you agree though that Castlevania is 50% action and 50% platformer, as the game has a huge platform elements to it with you jumping around Dracula's castle most of the time. Also there is no way Zelda could be called even a 50% platform game and while Metroid is more platformy it still is a action game

Josh_3691

How is Metroid an action game but Castlevania is not?

have you ever heard of Metrovania? That is the word Konami used when they developed Castlevania: Symphony of the night and they wanted to make the castlevania genre more open and exploring just like Super Metroid.

That 50% platforming you claim that Castlevania has is actually from Metroid so if Castlevania is 50% platforming then so is Metroid becouse the platforming in Castlevania is from Metriod.
Josh_3691

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Josh_3691
[QUOTE="Josh_3691"]

JLF1

have you ever heard of Metrovania? That is the word Konami used when they developed Castlevania: Symphony of the night and they wanted to make the castlevania genre more open and exploring just like Super Metroid.

That 50% platforming you claim that Castlevania has is actually from Metroid so if Castlevania is 50% platforming then so is Metroid becouse the platforming in Castlevania is from Metriod.

I was talking about the modern 3D Metroids like Hunters for the DS, not Super Metroid which I agree is just like the Castlevania games of today and 50% Platform and 50% Action

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JLF1
[QUOTE="JLF1"][QUOTE="Josh_3691"]

Josh_3691

I was talking about the modern 3D Metroids like Hunters for the DS, not Super Metroid which I agree is just like the Castlevania games of today and 50% Platform and 50% Action

Meh, I actually don't care if Castlevania is considered half a platforming game that won't change the fact that the DS need a lot more pure platforming games like Mario, Sonic, Spyro (good ones), Klonoa and Wario.
Josh_3691

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Josh_3691

Yeah, we could do with a 2D Metroid, a Rayman game when he isn't with those bloody Rabbits and a return to the PS1 days for Crash Bandicoot as well. Then I would be happy :)

LadyShanoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LadyShanoa
[QUOTE="LadyShanoa"]

My Reply:

inzaneetie013

More like Sarcasm +1, you're good.

inzaneetie013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 inzaneetie013
Member since 2007 • 1385 Posts
[QUOTE="inzaneetie013"][QUOTE="LadyShanoa"]

My Reply:

LadyShanoa

More like Sarcasm +1, you're good.

thanks, I used to be one.

LadyShanoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LadyShanoa
Hehe, reminds me of that movie Mrs. Doubtfire.
FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

Castlevania is a platformer. I don't see how it's any different than Mario, you just got a whip and it's more open ended instead of simple levels. Just because it has action in it, (are you saying Mario doesn't have some form of action?) doesn't mean it's not a platformer.

Anyway here is a list of games I could find that sound or appear decent to add on to the ones that are already mentioned:

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong March of the Mini's

Rayman Ds

Spider Man 3

Tak: great Juju Challenge

Yeah, a lot of games that make up the platforming genre for the DS is second handed games based off movies or shows. Not much to choose from.

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts
[QUOTE="Josh_3691"]

JLF1

Alright, that's your opinion. But for me, anything that has platformer elements and essentially plays like a kind of platformer is a platformer.

Now, as for the topic, I completely agree. But not because there is a lack of them. There needs to be more platformers simply because I would love to add more quality platformers to my collection. I could never get enough.

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts
N+ is coming out in a couple weeks. IGN gave it best platformer of e3 2008. Also Kirby is coming out next month (i think)
NerdEmperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NerdEmperor
Member since 2004 • 965 Posts
[QUOTE="Josh_3691"]

JLF1

The original 2-D Metroid games are adventure platformers. The new 3-D Metroids contain barely any platforming and focus almost exclusively on exploring and combat. Zelda isn't a platformer. It's just exploring and fighting. There isn't even a jump button (you can only get away with that if you're Bionic Commando).

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#33 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts

rrrgh i know what's so hard about making a platformer? you just make a background for the person to run around on and a few different gameplay additions and you've got a big seller.

well, exit ds and n+ are coming, those should both be great.

GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
Uhh, that's enough, IMO.
NerdEmperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NerdEmperor

rrrgh i know what's so hard about making a platformer? you just make a background for the person to run around on and a few different gameplay additions and you've got a big seller.

well, exit ds and n+ are coming, those should both be great.

paullywog

Actually nowadays, it's harder to make a 2-D game than a 3-D one because sprites are a pain in the ass. They could always make more 3-D platformers for the DS.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JLF1
Uhh, that's enough, IMO. GamerJM

Uhh, NO it isn't IMO.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JLF1
Why are people so defensive about this?

I want more pure platformers (Mario, Sonic, Klonoa, Wario) and not platformer-adventures (Castlevania, Metriod, Zelda) or platformer-action games (Mega man, contra).

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#38 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts
Perhaps it's because a lot of people just group all platforming games of any kind together into a category simply titled "Platformers". You differentiate and I guess people just don't understand why it even matters.
NerdEmperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NerdEmperor

Why are people so defensive about this?

I want more pure platformers (Mario, Sonic, Klonoa, Wario) and not platformer-adventures (Castlevania, Metriod, Zelda) or platformer-action games (Mega man, contra).

JLF1

Wtf ever happened to Klonoa? The original Playstation one was one of the best 2-D platformers ever!

IMO, I don't even count Contra as a platformer. It's just a sidescrolling shooter.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#40 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

You complain about a lack of platformers and then forget Canvas Curse?

Castlevania/Contra/Metal Slug are platformers. Its a technicality :|

But really, you should check out the Kirby DS games. Scurge: Hive also isn't half bad, it just feels/looks like a GBA game. I agree, the DS' platforming list isn't quite as hefty as the GBA's just yet.

GreatSlayer980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 GreatSlayer980
Member since 2008 • 147 Posts
DS has many platformers
LadyShanoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LadyShanoa

I've already told Nintendo, they said they were working on it.

The above sentence is sarcasm.

SUPER_FLY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SUPER_FLY_
Member since 2008 • 2653 Posts
[QUOTE="Josh_3691"]

JLF1

so you're telling me that phantom hourglass is a platformer:roll: