JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18563 Posts

I've played every test punch so far, and most other people seem to be getting better while I'm just staying the same. Some people CREAM me and I don't even know why.

I know the general strategies.... block punches, punch away grabs, dodge both when you can, swat them away with a punch if necessary, etc.

But in practice, punches seem to come way too fast to do anything intentional unless the opponent is far enough away. But if I keep my distance, it makes it way too easy for them to dodge my own punches.

So I end up constantly dodging and jumping and punching, not completely randomly, but definitely too frantically to say I'm actually using strategy.

So, give me some tips. How do I manage to stay ahead of my opponent and actually be intentional rather than throwing stuff out whenever I feel like it?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22539 Posts

@JordanElek said:

I've played every test punch so far, and most other people seem to be getting better while I'm just staying the same. Some people CREAM me and I don't even know why.

I know the general strategies.... block punches, punch away grabs, dodge both when you can, swat them away with a punch if necessary, etc.

But in practice, punches seem to come way too fast to do anything intentional unless the opponent is far enough away. But if I keep my distance, it makes it way too easy for them to dodge my own punches.

So I end up constantly dodging and jumping and punching, not completely randomly, but definitely too frantically to say I'm actually using strategy.

So, give me some tips. How do I manage to stay ahead of my opponent and actually be intentional rather than throwing stuff out whenever I feel like it?

i say wait till the game releases then i might be able to give tips.... i only played in one of the sessions and i did decently.

use the right gloves....i used spring man and used the triple missle it has a nice range and cover a bit of area.

did you try using every character? maybe try another. supposedly the most winning character is the yellow girl mechanica.

if you are having trouble with the motion controls then try the pro controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@JordanElek: I felt like I couldn't really control punches after I threw them, and it took a lot of work to move around and dodge using the motion controls.

I have yet to see whether it's better or worse using the traditional control scheme, though I did get some level of enjoyment out of the motion controls the one time I played the testpunch thus far. I am looking more forward to the traditional controls now though.

But idk, I had fun with it. I think the match I had with the Min-Min, that first night, showed me that I can get better at this. I had a series of questionable matches up until then, but I made slight progress each time. And idk, maybe other players will get too good for me to enjoy playing them, but I don't really care - I will likely enjoy the offline content in this game as well. And maybe if I get another girlfriend anytime in the near future who enjoys games, we can play ARMS together.

Maybe we'll even get to play some matches one day. I can't really make promises with how shoddy my connection is right now, but you never know!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Prima Games actually published a useful little article about how to play ARMS. Here's a link. I'll go over the key points they mention:

1. Try not to be the first one to attack. But if you have to, test the waters and attack with ONE of your arms.

2. If your opponent attacks with both arms at the same time, it's a great opportunity to dodge both of their attacks and counter with your own punch, for a pretty much guaranteed hit.

3. Work on maintaining a 'mid-range' distance from your opponent - not too close, not too far. That way, you can quickly move in closer for counter-attacks, and move away farther to dodge.

4. The weight of your arms has an impact on how close your 'mid-range' should be to your opponent. If you have heavy arms, they take longer to travel far, and you should be closer to your opponent than normal. If you have really lightweight arms, you will want to stay nice and far away since they project and return fast.

5. Your Super meter charges as you attack, charge attacks, take damage, and stand in the zone of a super meter item. Super attacks are easy to dodge, though.

6. Super moves go THROUGH your opponent's arms. (Yes, this includes Helix's shield!) So it's a good idea to counter with your super-move when you are close to your opponent and they've launched an attack on you.

7. A Super CAN BE CANCELED during its starting animation, so just because you are prepared to dodge it doesn't mean that they won't negate the first attempt and counter your dodge.

8. Another good strategy is to follow up a succesful punch with your Super, or else a successful charged attack. Or, you can use an attack with a 'stun' effect, to even make it harder for your opponent to avoid the ensuing Super!

9. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Kid Cobra and Ninjara are recommended starting characters. It is also recommended that you use lighter arms to start with, since heavy arms require a bit more skill to time.

10. Always stay on the move. This is key to survival in ARMS.

11. Blocking is only useful against Super attacks (it halves the damage!), when playing as Master Mummy, or when evading an attack becomes impossible.

12. If your opponent keeps using Blocks, try to use a Grab/Throw attack on them. It will leave you open to a counter-attack, and takes longer to initiate than a punch, but a grab is difficult to avoid at close-range.

13. Keep your distance, jump, and dodge out of the way to avoid being Grabbed. Sometimes you can even punch to counter a Grab attempt.

14. There are 3 types of items in the game - Super Meter Up, Health Up, and Party Ball:

• Super Meter Up: Yellow
  • Health Up: Green
  • Party Ball: Upon touching a player will either explode, or stun you and cause electric damage. When a player bumps into them they will start glowing, and then react after a moment.

15. Party Balls can be punched towards opponents, but it's a good idea to leave them inactive, wait until your opponent is stunned or incapacitated for a moment, and then knock the Party Ball into them for unavoidable damage.

16. Party Balls can also be used as cover from your opponent's attacks, though a curved punch might be able to get around it.

Some pretty deep stuff. I guess it takes a lot of practice to get 'good' at ARMs.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7537 Posts

I only played for 1 of the sessions, and won all of my matches (except the ones where I was paired with someone on the same team).

I didn't get too much time to figure out in depth mechanics, but these were the basics I used to win:

- Only throw one fist and have one on standby. Don't throw both arms without some thought.

- Side step when your opponent throws a punch.

- Keep baiting your opponent to throw both arms.

- Once they do, throw your second arm, and keep a good rhythm and balance going with throwing your next punch.

So basically be mindful of when to dodge, and when to throw both punches.

But again, I'm super new to this, but this basic tactic seems to be a good place to start. I haven't participated in any more of the test punches since I'm sold on the game and I'll wait for it to launch.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 26757 Posts

Timing, dude. Don't be hasty, be prepared for their attacks and wait for the right opportunity to strike. (That sounded corny)
If you meet someone who tries to grab you a lot - dogde (which can be hard) or shoot their arms. I personally love to dodge, so I do it a lot. Blocking doesn't work.
Check which arms beats which and you can choose arms strategically depening on your opponent.
Hold down the dodge or jump button often to get that charge up to make your arms more powerful. Some can even stun the opponent to give you time to grab them or something.
Wait with your super attack until you know it will hit.
Block enemy super attacks. Way easier than to dodge them.
When health pops up, be sure to stand in it safely for a while. Grabbing someone for example gives you time to be in the circle while not having the other beat you up.

Also, I personally prefer playing with the Pro controller since that made me play way better. I find movement and blocking to be difficult with motion controls and those are very important things to win.