Super Smash Bros : Project M (SSBB Mod)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

Article

"Though many fans (rightfully) love Brawl just as it is, one particular community of more than 50 volunteers has been attempting to find a more technically-adept iteration of the game. In other words, a global team has been working for more than two years to develop an engine that brings Brawl more in line with Super Smash Bros. Meleeon GameCube, retaining the Wii game's depth of content while achieving a speedier, more balanced sense of play. The result is Project M, a piracy-free mod that only requires a physical copy of Brawl and a 2 GB (or less) SD card free of custom stage files. No hardware or software modifications are needed - and it's also free to download. (Note that there are two versions with slightly different functionality, most notably the ability to play Project M online. Also, the mod is currently only supported by NTSC systems and games.)"

"Project Mmakes some key alterations to Brawl standards that previously frustrated many fans. L-Canceling has returned, with an added visual cue that will allow more casual players to understand its effect. Aerial dodging has been enhanced. Randomized tripping is gone ? never to be seen again. Shields can reflect objects and projectiles. Numerous adjustments to physics, including how character speed and jumping, have also been made. The developers are also planning on enhancing enemy AI in future updates."

"As with characters, every Project M player will notice a different set of stages, borrowing from all three existing Smash Bros. games ? and then some. Subtle changes to classics like Final Destination have been included, eliminating unpredictable elements that seemed more frustrating than anything else. Overshadowing everything else, however, is a level borrowed from a franchise that has never been seen in Smash Bros. before ? Castlevania. "

Developer talking about adding new characters:

"We are currently focused on first finishing all characters available in the Brawl roster before considering any characters present in previous iterations of the Smash," the PMBR team told me. "If any new character is to be included in Project M, it must be professional and be seamlessly added without replacing another. While we've made a lot of progress in this endeavor, some key coding issues remain unsolved. Throughout development we've revisited the issue with new knowledge and skill to try to tackle it, perhaps in the future we finally will."

There is a video in the article linked that shows off Project M.

Hopefully Geno will finally make his deput!

Will you be trying Project M out? Especially since it is more like a melee 2.0?

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I didn't know it was even possible to mod console games, especially hack/ mod free. That's pretty cool.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Hmm, I guess that's pretty cool.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

neato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#5 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Cool beans. Might try this.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

So it doesn't require any modifications or hacking or the Wii or Wii OS? The seems like that would be a really difficult thing to do.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I always preferred the slower pace and more random nature of Brawl.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I didn't know it was even possible to mod console games, especially hack/ mod free. That's pretty cool.AutoPilotOn
Which makes all the SSBB mods even more impressive, since it's a game that's not designed to be modified. I consider mods a general advantage of PC gaming, but when there's enough demand, even the console fans will find a way to tweak their games to taste.
So it doesn't require any modifications or hacking or the Wii or Wii OS? The seems like that would be a really difficult thing to do.Phoenix534
Nope. There's a vulnerability in how it loads custom stages (hence the "SD card free of custom stage files" requirement); that's why these mods work, among other things.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

but i have to homebrew my wii right? no thanks

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AutoPilotOn
You have to home brew your wii? I thought it sai you don't need to do anything put put the 2gb file on the sd card
kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts
awesome. it would be more awesome if they let us play as the original characters from ssb64
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Its impressive, but I'm not really interested, especially since it seems like they altered some characters for the worst.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I've reopened this topic since Project M is about a legal way to modify the game. No discussion of homebrew please - This is a legal modification, you need a retail copy of Brawl and a SD card for it to work.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AutoPilotOn
Makes me wish I knew where my disk is. I have the case and everything but no game :(
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Just a heads up, that IS a hack, yes, even the "hackless" version. The Super Smash Bros stage creator is one of several exploits to alter the Wii's OS to recognize load homebrew, and even runs homebrew software (Gecko OS, which can be used to read pirated game discs in older white Wii's) to boot the mod up. By deleting all your custom stages and inserting the SD card with their programs on it, the Wii gets tricked into reading the homebrew rather than the legit game files. Twilight Princess was used to do the same thing, bottom line, if you do this, it's hacking your Wii.

Not saying I have a problem with the Mod, but for those of you who don't want your Wii hacked, this is running homebrew.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Just a heads up, that IS a hack, yes, even the "hackless" version. The Super Smash Bros stage creator is one of several exploits to alter the Wii's OS to recognize load homebrew, and even runs homebrew software (Gecko OS, which can be used to read pirated game discs in older white Wii's) to boot the mod up. By deleting all your custom stages and inserting the SD card with their programs on it, the Wii gets tricked into reading the homebrew rather than the legit game files. Twilight Princess was used to do the same thing, bottom line, if you do this, it's hacking your Wii.

Not saying I have a problem with the Mod, but for those of you who don't want your Wii hacked, this is running homebrew.

WreckEm711

Are you saying this is going to void warranties or is that just about the morality of it?

KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

Pixel-Perfect

Are you saying this is going to void warranties or is that just about the morality of it?

If I remember correctly ANY type of hacking/modding will void the warranty, so if you do do this and something happens to your Wii Nintendo wont help you in any way.