Super Smash Bros New Content Recap

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

" During a special video presentation focused on Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, the game’s director, Masahiro Sakurai, unveiled a smashing amount of new content for the games, including two new playable characters: Ryu from the Street Fighter® series and Roy from Fire Emblem. They both join Lucas from Mother 3 as new playable fighters, and are available for download now! This additional paid content lands alongside a major software update that launched today for both systems, which also includes three new stages and many new costumes for Mii Fighters, including outfits from classic fighting series Virtua Fighter and Tekken. With these new characters, stages and costumes, top fighting game franchises Super Smash Bros., Street Fighter®, Virtua Fighter and Tekken unite for the very first time. "

“Today’s update proves that the evergreen Super Smash Bros. games continue to evolve and grow with unexpected new content,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. “We’re offering multiple price options and bundles for all this outstanding new content, so players can mix and match whatever characters, stages and costumes they want.”

" The video presentation can be viewed in its entirety by visiting http://e3.nintendo.com/. Highlights of the update include:

Ryu from Street Fighter®: For the first time in Super Smash Bros. history, a character from the fighting game series Street Fighter® joins the battle. Iconic character Ryu, whose look in the game is based on Street Fighter II®, brings a new fighting style and feel to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U. Ryu’s traditional Light, Medium and Heavy attacks can be used depending on whether players tap, press or hold the buttons. Classic Street Fighter® moves like Hadoken and Shoryuken can be activated with just a one-button press, but players who enter the original button combinations from the Street Fighter® series will perform the same actions with higher damage. Ryu can be purchased in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or Nintendo 3DS for $5.99 each, or both game versions together for $6.99. Purchase includes the bonus Suzaku Castle stage from the Street Fighter® series. This classic environment provides stable footing on the right side and a series of platforms on the left. It can also be played in Omega form, giving the stage a look and feel much like in the Street Fighter II® original.

Roy from Fire Emblem: A fan-favorite from his last appearance in Super Smash Bros. Melee for Nintendo GameCube, Roy from the Fire Emblem franchise returns to the series more powerful than ever before. Unlike Marth, Roy’s sword is stronger closer to the hilt, so he works better in close range. Roy also now has a Final Smash move in the form of a devastating sword blow. Roy can be purchased in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U for $3.99, or both game versions together for $4.99.

Lucas from Mother 3: As previously announced, Lucas is also available to purchase as a new downloadable character. Originating in the Japan-only Game Boy Advance RPG Mother 3, Lucas primarily uses lightning attacks to smash his opponents. Lucas can be purchased in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or Nintendo 3DS for $3.99, or both game versions together for $4.99.

New Mii Fighter costumes: Multiple video games and characters from the past and present are represented in a new set of Mii Fighter costumes now available through the new update. Two costumes from classic fighting game Virtua Fighter are based on the Akira and Jacky characters, with Akira even maintaining his blocky polygonal look from the original game. Tekken fighter Heihachi (and his amazing hair) serves as inspiration for one costume, with additional costumes based on Isabelle from Animal Crossing, MegaMan.EXE from Mega Man Battle Network, ZERO from Mega Man X, the Inkling Girl and Boy and the squid hat from Splatoon also available. All costumes – eight in total – can be purchased in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U for $6, or both game versions together for $9.20. Costumes can also be purchased individually for $0.75 in either Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, or both game versions together for $1.15 each.

Dreamland stage: Based on the first Dreamland stage from the original Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 64, this stage returns with a few tweaks. The Dreamland stage can be purchased in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U for $1.99, or both game versions together for $2.99.

Everything: Players who want every fighter, stage, outfit and accessory featured among today’s DLC releases can buy them all at once. The whole DLC pack can be purchased in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U for $21.96, or both game versions together for $29.16.

Miiverse stage: Available now to download for free, this new stage for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U features Miiverse posts created by players all over the world. During matches while connected to the Internet, players will see Miiverse posts appear that cheer specific fighters on from the background. These messages will be pulled from individual Miiverse communities that just opened for each Super Smash Bros. character.

Tourney mode: Scheduled to launch as part of a free update in August, two new Tourney modes are coming to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. Community Tourneys let players compete for the highest points in a certain amount of time, while regular Tourneys have a specific set of rules and only happen at select times.

YouTube replays: Coming exclusively to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U at a later date, this free new feature allows players to post replay videos of their matches on YouTube. To use this feature, players must possess a Google account. Please visit http://www.smashbros.com/us/ for additional details.

Additional Super Smash Bros. amiibo: Mii Fighters are getting their own amiibo figures! When used in the game, the Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter and Mii Gunner amiibo characters can be configured with custom faces and players’ collected accessories and costumes. Four additional Super Smash Bros. characters are also getting amiibo: R.O.B., Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch and Falco. These new amiibo will be available this September, except Falco who will be available this holiday season. Eventually, all playable characters in Super Smash Bros. will have corresponding amiibo figures, including Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu.

Bonus Trophies: After downloading the update, in-game bonus trophies based on Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter®, Roy, Lucas and Splatoon will be available to unlock in play. Players can collect these trophies by completing All-Star mode in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U. "

For more information about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, visit http://www.smashbros.com/us/.

Remember that Wii U and Nintendo 3DS feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu or http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'll just pay the 30 bucks for everything. I really only want the characters and stages, but might as well get the costumes. I don't mind supporting Smash Bros by purchasing the DLC even though Nintendo is laughing at me.

AMIIBO!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@yokofox33: Yeah, hard to pass on $30 for 3DS and Wii U DLC content. I think Nintendo is super happy that fans are appreciating their DLC. I think Nintendos fear was that people would not accept it and demand too much from them. But now that Nintendo knows that fans are happy with their fair prices Nintendo can relax and continue to surprise us.

I mean when you first look at it, $30 seems like a lot for DLC, but when you break it down and sell it piece by piece people realize what all they are getting. I havnt decided what i want. I wanted the Kirby Stage and the new characters but after seeing this release today i think i will try and score the whole DLC. I dont have the money now, but ill have some spare cash soon.

seany_lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 seany_lad
Member since 2007 • 250 Posts

I'm going for it all I think. Really good deal especially since it's over two devices.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

That dlc.........It's quite a shame it might cost me more trouble in here(that's around 400.000 IDR)..not to mention it could get worse due to the mismanagement of time my family have,I have yet to have a WiiU,yeah it's very very terrible and sucks,because I want to move on from the old,worn-out Wii, and I have yet to have a NNID to buy this...I'll probably get this next or 2-3 years from now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Smashbrossive50: Are you saying cost is an issue? Nintendo sells a refurbished Wii U for $200 or one with Mario 3D World for $225. I budget shop for Nintendo products all the time. Over the years i have gotten good at shopping for Nintendo stuff, you just have to be patient and grab things on sale.

Last year i bought White Wii U brand new for $200 during Black Friday. I also bought Mario Kart 8 for $35 then too. I bought Smash for $45, and even Bayonetta 2 for $45, and The Wonderful 101 for $28 or something like that. When you dont want to spend much money on Nintendo stuff i think it best to buy a game with super high replayability. Thats why the first games i tried to add to my collection were Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon, etc. My PC collection is done like this also, i attack replayability games first, like Heroes of the Storm, Europa IV etc. These games dont require you to be deeply invested into the story and stuff. They are awesome in between games, i play them when i dont have nothing to play, then i play others games and come back to them later, very easy to pick back up.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Smashbrossive50

@mesome713: the cost of gaming for me is a trouble..not to mention in here,we don't have an official Nintendo distribution center,and Ninty doesn't acknowledge my country either.

my parents thought it's not worthy to buy things with USD...that's the worst norm I've ever known...in the country I live in,it's considered a taboo to play video games,in "believe" that it might lead to violence.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Smashbrossive50: O i gotcha, i think things will slowly change for the better, but yeah, you gotta play with the cards youre dealt sometimes.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Smashbrossive50

@mesome713: I doubt it's gonna be that easy,since the government here doesn't see video games as part of youth culture,sucks...I know...but rest assured I will make a change for it someday(it's the reason why I'm one of the few Indonesian reps here)

Best to stop the chatter for now...move on with the topic at hand.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

Anyone know if the new characters are good yet? I'm downloading the update now and considering buying Lucas and possibly Ryu.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@megane: Im not to sure, but from what ive seen, if you like combos, you will love Ryu. Ryu is also the first Smash player ever to get two finishers. With how his controls are set, i think it will make him one of the most unique characters to control, you can use old school Street Fighter input commands as a bonus on him. On paper he kinda sounds way too strong, but will have to try out for myself i guess.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Smashbrossive50

@megane: though I have yet to have both a WiiU and SSB4 WiiU edition,or used a NNID(a I don't have a credit card for it) to buy this on a 3DS(gonna get it soon myself,as I actually played my brother's AU copy of it),I'd suggest give Ryu a go,and don't forget to team up with Lucario for that double hadoken combo,it's gonna be interesting.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Roy is awesome. My new favorite character to use in line with Ganondorf.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Megane

@Smashbrossive50: @mesome713:

Ryu does seem really strong, if only they did trial for DLC.

If you don't have a credit card you can buy codes off Pay Pal, not sure if it's supported in your region, though.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Smashbrossive50

@megane: hardly I trust cyber-cash(not credit mind you),and that's the biggest problem I know for long since I start playing video games 18 years ago...one USD is around 13.330 IDR,to which I have very much fear it will grow like crazy,not to mention that SSB dlc pack is around 400.000 IDR..yikes,I can only pay for a single original WiiU game sans the console with that kind of money.

If you're not paying attention. In the region I'm in doesn't have an official Nintendo branch office,and licensed distribution center. And again, the company doesn't acknowledge my country(you see those region and language settings..that too doesn't acknowledge my local language) and again...Nintendo Zone isn't available near me.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Just getting the Wii U versions. Despite only been £7 more, I just don't believe it's worth it for me, because I never use the 3DS version. Last time I even turned it on was to redeem my free Mewtwo code, and then I just turned it off and played him on the Wii U version instead.

Besides, £20 is still a great deal for 3 fighters, 2 stages, and a ton of music, costumes and trophies.

Only thing about this direct that disappointed me was that they said there won't be a lot of room for stages, and then announced that 3 of the stages coming are N64 ones (I'm not a huge fan of Smash 64, sorry guys). I'm all for the new stage though, but I hope if we get more returning stages they are from Brawl or Melee, specifically Pirate Ship.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Roy, my main in Smash, is back. Ryu, my main from Street Fighter (and taking the design from my favourite Street Fighter game - 2) is added. This is amazing news to me. They both look awesome. I'm really impressed with how much attention they gave to Ryu. The Miiverse stage looks fun too. Can't wait to see all the awesome art randomly pop up on screen.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Megane

Not impressed by these new characters, I'm had a good few matches against them and all of them have been pushovers against my super rusty Ness. I know they've just come out, but Mewtwo gave me grief on his first day.

Oh well, I'm sure people will better with them, but for now, I'm keeping my money.

Side note: You can still use the paid stages if only your opponent has bought them.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Ryu plays pretty good, it takes some getting use to using the SF commands in a smash game, but once I get the hang of it, he should be a beast.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

some street fighter fans are going to love the ryu commands.....