Super Mario Wii U :What do you want..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

I just don't want it to be similar to the Galaxies or any of the past games.

Maybe a very open world,like more adventure and exploration elements.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

I want it to go back to actually having to find the star again. I liked how you could accidentally find a different star than the one you were supposed to in Mario 64. Why even name the star if you are only allowed to obtain that specific one.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Bigger. More open. I want to be able to explore like I could in Super Mario 64. The Galaxy games are too linear and Super Mario 3D Land is too small. Another game like Super Mario 64, in high definition, with an interesting hubworld (the castle from 64 was much more interesting than the starship from the original Galaxy game).

Or come up with something completely new and exciting.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GreekGameManiac

Totally agree with you guys!

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

You people have bad taste in platformers.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
I want to see a big overworld like in Super Mario World/SMB 3 with a lot of secrets and alternate paths. Wouldn't mind if they had a blend of 3d galaxy styIe levels and 2d nsmb styIe levels
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i want them to do their thing. that's all.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
I want to see a big overworld like in Super Mario World/SMB 3 with a lot of secrets and alternate paths. Wouldn't mind if they had a blend of 3d galaxy styIe levels and 2d nsmb styIe levelsWreckEm711
i don't like how NSMB controls, it feels weird D:
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
More open ended like 64 and Sunshine with a good hub world like Galaxy. 3D Land and Galaxy 2 essentially killed the hub world.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]I want to see a big overworld like in Super Mario World/SMB 3 with a lot of secrets and alternate paths. Wouldn't mind if they had a blend of 3d galaxy styIe levels and 2d nsmb styIe levelsBrunoBRS
i don't like how NSMB controls, it feels weird D:

I worded it poorly, I just want some levels in 2d, some in 3d :P
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i want them to do their thing. that's all.

Thats basically what I was going to say. I just want Nintendo to make it. They seem to know more about what gamers want than the gamers themselves do.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30328 Posts
I want to see a big overworld like in Super Mario World/SMB 3 with a lot of secrets and alternate paths. Wouldn't mind if they had a blend of 3d galaxy styIe levels and 2d nsmb styIe levelsWreckEm711
I could get behind that, I assume that NSMB Mii thing will become a game, that would be a great place to have a SMW like experience. Pass on the openworld thing, it was great in Mario 64, when Nintendo was showing the industry the ropes on how to do 3D. However I want them to continue to focus on platforming, like they did in the Galaxy games.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 5780 Posts

1. Variation like the galaxy games.

2. I would still like to see some levels that play on the gravity theme.

3. Open world ala Super Mario 64. I want to not only play levels, but find them.

4. Bigger levels ala Super Mario 64. Levels that are begging to be explored.

5. Fun pure-platforming Bonus Levels like Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy 1/2. More of them.

6. More powerups.

7. Yoshi.

8. Honestly, some sort of Mario Kart driving would be fun, I know it sounds like a terrible idea, but it would be cool to drive around the open world or something.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 5780 Posts

What would be really nice is that after you've unlocked a level, you can access it from a list instead of having to "get back to it" by navigating the world. That way the "core" can get their own "big open world hub" and the casual can get that streamlined accessibility.

JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLF1MarkII
Member since 2012 • 1416 Posts

I want SMG3 without the gimmicky motion-control parts.

Or I want my dream Nintendo game that have you run around in the entire Mushroom Kingdom. Opening up new paths and abilities Zelda and Metroid StyIe with platforming dungeons and a fun an interactive over-world.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Why try to fix what is darn-near perfect? I can't think of anything that Nintendo could change to the Super Mario formula that would make it any better. All Nintendo needs to do is keep the experience fresh through level designs, power-ups, and mechanics. The Galaxy and NSMB games showed that Nintendo still has the touch in all of those areas, so I'm not worried.

I want Nintendo to focus its efforts on 'fixing' other series besides Mario. :P

JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JLF1MarkII

Why try to fix what is darn-near perfect? I can't think of anything that Nintendo could change to the Super Mario formula that would make it any better. All Nintendo needs to do is keep the experience fresh through level designs, power-ups, and mechanics. The Galaxy and NSMB games showed that Nintendo still has the touch in all of those areas, so I'm not worried.

Madmangamer364

But I really disliked the NSMB games :cry:

Need more Mario 3D Land games :evil:

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Madmangamer364

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

JLF1MarkII

But I really disliked the NSMB games :cry:

Need more Mario 3D Land games :evil:

*shrugs* I personally enjoyed both NSMB games to the fullest. Other than being heavy on the extra lives (which in part, comes with knowing how to play a Super Mario game or two), I didn't really find much to gripe about.

I actually played a bit of Super Mario 3D Land for the first time this weekend. It was ok, but it felt like a gimped Super Mario Galaxy to me. Having some sort of camera control would have also helped. :P

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I agree with what other people have said. Open it up more. The level design in the Galaxy games was phenomenal, but it was linear to the point of being dull. Give the player some freedom, let them enjoy and explore the experience at their own pace.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sepewrath

Or I want my dream Nintendo game that have you run around in the entire Mushroom Kingdom. Opening up new paths and abilities Zelda and Metroid StyIe with platforming dungeons and a fun an interactive over-world.

JLF1MarkII

That is a horrible idea lol. And those "gimmicky"(I really wish people would stop using that word like that, its annoys me that so many people use a word wrong, its like spreading ignorance around the world, thank you gaming media) controls are a big part of what made the galaxy games great. The way they used the controls, added a lot of variety to the already varied level design. lol that was kind of a rant in the middle there XD

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2080 Posts

You people have bad taste in platformers.

LordQuorthon
Taste is subjective, Mr. Demon avatar
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LordQuorthon

Taste is subjective, Mr. Demon avatarrubber-chicken

No. It's something that some people have and some people don't.

pikaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 pikaby
Member since 2006 • 12720 Posts

Do anything, but PLEASE do not bring back the NSMB aesthetic. Way overused already.

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts

[QUOTE="rubber-chicken"]Taste is subjective, Mr. Demon avatarLordQuorthon

No. It's something that some people have and some people don't.

nope, it's subjective.
JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JLF1MarkII

[QUOTE="JLF1MarkII"]

Sepewrath

That is a horrible idea lol. And those "gimmicky"(I really wish people would stop using that word like that, its annoys me that so many people use a word wrong, its like spreading ignorance around the world, thank you gaming media) controls are a big part of what made the galaxy games great. The way they used the controls, added a lot of variety to the already varied level design. lol that was kind of a rant in the middle there XD

I'm not talking about all motion-controls in the SMG games. Only the ones were a button and an analog-stick would work much better. The Super Monkey parts, the flying birds parts, the mario being in a bubble and you need to blow him where he needs to go parts. These are gimmicky and frankly awful and have no place in a game like SMG.

And why would an open world Mario game be a horrible idea? :?

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GreekGameManiac

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]

[QUOTE="JLF1MarkII"]

JLF1MarkII

I'm not talking about all motion-controls in the SMG games. Only the ones were a button and an analog-stick would work much better. The Super Monkey parts, the flying birds parts, the mario being in a bubble and you need to blow him where he needs to go parts. These are gimmicky and frankly awful and have no place in a game like SMG.

Yes!!! exactly!

Cause that's what we want,too!!!

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Madmangamer364

JLF1MarkII

Those mechanics would have not been as interesting if not for the motion controls, though. Just slapping more conventional controls to those levels would have made them too simplistic and comfortable to navigate through. As Sepewrath pointed out, they gave the games a greater sense of diversity that also took advantage of the system's unique controls. It's also not like they were very frequent throughout the game itself, so their impact was based simply on the fact that they offered a unique diversion to the game's traditional platforming.

Last, but not least, since when can't a Super Mario game of any sort be allowed to mix it up just a tad?

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I want it to go back to actually having to find the star again. I liked how you could accidentally find a different star than the one you were supposed to in Mario 64. Why even name the star if you are only allowed to obtain that specific one.

gamenerd15

I would love a return to the 64/sunshine feel.

I also think it might be really cool to have one big open world (though maybe some load spots or whatnot) that is a constant level and a constant world. So if the castles road in 64 extended out into a field and around that there was more and more. Kinda like Banjo Kazooie I guess. I just think a world like this, done right, could be really awesome.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NaveedLife

Bigger. More open. I want to be able to explore like I could in Super Mario 64. The Galaxy games are too linear and Super Mario 3D Land is too small. Another game like Super Mario 64, in high definition, with an interesting hubworld (the castle from 64 was much more interesting than the starship from the original Galaxy game).

Or come up with something completely new and exciting.

Euaggelistes

The hub world in Sunshine was probably the best, but I like the feel of the castle and such. I loved the secret levels and so on. THe hub in Galaxy 2 makes no sense cause you cannot do anything there. I don't even know why they put it in.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Madmangamer364

THe hub in Galaxy 2 makes no sense cause you cannot do anything there. I don't even know why they put it in.

NaveedLife

That was the whole point. SMG2's hub was small so that it allowed players to simply access (and re-access) levels very quickly. There's no need for a big hub when all of the game's key activities are in the form of actual levels. All SMG2's hub needed to do was provide players an area to 'play around' with the game's contols and offer basic pointers to players.

Hope that helps. :P

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

THe hub in Galaxy 2 makes no sense cause you cannot do anything there. I don't even know why they put it in.

Madmangamer364

That was the whole point. SMG2's hub was small so that it allowed players to simply access (and re-access) levels very quickly. There's no need for a big hub when all of the game's key activities are in the form of actual levels. All SMG2's hub needed to do was provide players an area to 'play around' with the game's contols and offer basic pointers to players.

THats just it though. THere is nothing to play around with. THere is NO point in the Hub world :P. You dont need to use it to get to different levels, you just go across the little line on the map. I don't like this system, and its something that bothered me about 2D ones, but at least SMB3 had an overmap with levels around it kinda like DKC.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Madmangamer364

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

THats just it though. THere is nothing to play around with. THere is NO point in the Hub world :P. You dont need to use it to get to different levels, you just go across the little line on the map. I don't like this system, and its something that bothered me about 2D ones, but at least SMB3 had an overmap with levels around it kinda like DKC.

One of the coolest things about SM64 was simply being outside of the castle practicing triple jumps and running around. That's what I meant about the whole "play around" part, as Galaxy allows players to do the same and get a grasp of dealing with the game's planetoid structure. They didn't need to build actual things to do for the hub (even though there is Yoshi and Cloud Mario to also experiment with), and they've made so you don't have to travel extensively to reach new areas, like in previous games.

It's simply streamlining the experience, so players can just get to the meat of the game quicker. THAT's the point of SMG2's hub world. :)

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

Madmangamer364

One of the coolest things about SM64 was simply being outside of the castle practicing triple jumps and running around. That's what I meant about the whole "play around" part, as Galaxy allows players to do the same and get a grasp of dealing with the game's planetoid structure. They didn't need to build actual things to do for the hub (even though there is Yoshi and Cloud Mario to also experiment with), and they've made so you don't have to travel extensively to reach new areas, like in previous games.

It's simply streamlining the experience, so players can just get to the meat of the game quicker. THAT's the point of SMG2's hub world. :)

Well to each their own. I miss a hub world with exploration and hidden little secrets. Nintendo is taking out exploration in Metroid, Mario and Zelda :evil:

JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JLF1MarkII

Those mechanics would have not been as interesting if not for the motion controls, though. Just slapping more conventional controls to those levels would have made them too simplistic and comfortable to navigate through. As Sepewrath pointed out, they gave the games a greater sense of diversity that also took advantage of the system's unique controls. It's also not like they were very frequent throughout the game itself, so their impact was based simply on the fact that they offered a unique diversion to the game's traditional platforming.

Last, but not least, since when can't a Super Mario game of any sort be allowed to mix it up just a tad?

Madmangamer364

You should ask Sepewrath that as apparantly he doesn't like my open-world Mario idea:(

-

I simply doesn't like them as they were for the most part poor. I hate when I feel contricted by the controls of the game.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

JLF1MarkII

You should ask Sepewrath that as apparantly he doesn't like my open-world Mario idea:(

-

I simply doesn't like them as they were for the most part poor. I hate when I feel contricted by the controls of the game.

Is it like my idea? A seamless world (maybe some loading to other big parts with different themes, though not too much) with the gameplay and world integrated together. Kinda like this, expect obviously different in many ways. I am just giving an example of what a big beautiful world might look like. Nuts and Bolts was a huge letdown given its gameplay in my opinion, but a world like this with tons of obstacles and stuff to explore would be awesome.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I would actually like a game that draws heavily on Super Mario 64. Not just the larger worlds; as some have mentioned. I'd like it to be set in a castle - one with mysteries, secret passageways, etc. Of course I'd like it to still be innovative and fresh but I'd really like it if they brought back what I listed above.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Madmangamer364

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

JLF1MarkII

-

I meant that more in the way of level designs, actually. From the perspective of a level-based platformer, I don't see how an open world creates a better playing environment. I think you risk creatvity and flow by simply trying to put together this connected massive world. It may work for some games, but I think it would hurt a Super Mario game profoundly.

As for the second part, I can't really speak on that, since it's your opinion. I, for one, enjoyed many of those levels. :P

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LordQuorthon

nope, it's subjective. themagicbum9720

That's what people with horrible taste say to justify themselves.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

Well to each their own. I miss a hub world with exploration and hidden little secrets. Nintendo is taking out exploration in Metroid, Mario and Zelda :evil:

In all honesty the galaxy games actually benefited by the slightly more linear focus on platforming. The levels ended up having alot more variety and they were able to incorporate alot of new ideas.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

Shinobishyguy

In all honesty the galaxy games actually benefited by the slightly more linear focus on platforming. The levels ended up having alot more variety and they were able to incorporate alot of new ideas.

There are definitely pros and cons, but I wouldnt say they have a lot more variety than SM64. That game did away with restrictions by using paintings.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
as long as i can play as Luigi eventually, they can make it however they want it. Luigi > Mario
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sepewrath

JLF1MarkII
Because as you saw in Mario 64, the actual platforming takes a back seat to exploration. Its not a horrible idea, I was exaggerating, but its not what I want from a Mario game. I will take The Perfect Run at the end of Galaxy 2 over anything in Mario 64. That is what Mario is all about, smooth platforming, if I want to play a Nintendo game where I run around exploring, there's Zelda and Metroid for that. An open world is more about connecting the world, than putting obstacles in it. The best stages in Mario 64, were the ones like Tick Tock Clock, which passed on the whole open world level thing and provided a standard platforming with all the moving parts and such. The open world does no favors for platformers, a platformer is an obstacle course, cant do that in a open world.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

There are definitely pros and cons, but I wouldnt say they have a lot more variety than SM64. That game did away with restrictions by using paintings.

The Galaxy games had more variety just in terms of content. With 64 you had a dozen or so worlds each with sever levels each, all sharing a common theme. In Galaxy you have dozens of worlds, each with just one or two levels, sharing a common theme. Galaxy simply has more.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7268 Posts
NOT more mario galaxy.
Ckr64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ckr64
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts
One huge planet. I'm tired of jumping from one to another;)